Is this game supposed to be BTTF4?/ The canon debate

edited December 2010 in Back to the Future
Is this game supposed to be like a new Sequel to the Back to the Future Series, or is it going to be 3 episodes based off the movies?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    comitob wrote: »
    Is this game supposed to be like a new Sequel to the Back to the Future Series, or is it going to be 3 episodes based off the movies?

It's not supposed to be a sequel think of like an expanded universe type thing.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Here we go. Not surprisingly. ;)

This is a question which will be very hard to answer for TTG. "Expanded universe" is a very vague tagline serving as an answer to an equally vague question.

What is it you'd actually want to ask with the seemingly simple question "Is this BTTF 4"?
    • That it directly continues the storyline established in the movies?
    • That it includes all the characters/ places from the movies?
    • That it's actually so non-interactive that it could be regarded as a fourth movie?
    • Should these episodes be regarded as an "official" or "canon" continuation of the BTTF movies?
    • Possibly, that Bob Gale and Robert Zemeckis will even write the storyline?

And what is it Telltale and Universal actually want to communicate with the "expanded universe" idea?
    • That we'll have to deal with many more characters, possibly playing a new character?
    • That they do not feel bound to the BTTF movie "canon" of events?
    • That they do not feel bound to the BTTF cartoon " lesser canon" of events?
    • That they'd like to dismiss vague ideas of an "official" or "canon" story continuation up front?
    • That they'd like to keep any creative storyline direction a possibility?

Lots of things to think about. :D
  • edited June 2010
    "Is this a sequel to the movie series" isn't a vague question. It's a specific question with a specific answer, which is "no."

Why would this be a hard thing to explain?

There are countless games out there based on movie and TV franchises, and very few of them are supposed to be sequels. The vast majority are just games based in the world of the franchise.

You're making it a lot more complicated than it actually is.
    edited June 2010
    Thespis wrote: »
    "Is this a sequel to the movie series" isn't a vague question. It's a specific question with a specific answer, which is "no."

So you'd rule out completely that they might continue the story of Marty McFly and Doc Brown?
  • edited June 2010
    So you'd rule out completely that they might continue the story of Marty McFly and Doc Brown?

Just because a game is made using the main characters of a movie does not mean it's a sequel. It's just a game based on a movie.
  • edited June 2010
    No comment.
  • edited June 2010
    Here's where I'm getting my information, in case you were wondering:
    Connors said the games, which are in the early stages of development, would tell new stories extending the "Back to the Future" and "Jurassic Park" lore. He teased that the "Back to the Future" games may include a DeLorean ride back to the 1970s while the "Jurassic Park" games would be intense and add new backstories to the series' man-versus-dinosaur mythology.

"The games are going to exist within these worlds," said Connors. "I wouldn't call these games sequels per se but a new interpretation of their worlds for a new medium. For one generation, it's an introduction to these series. For another generation, it's a thing they can look back on and something they can share warmly with their family and friends."
    edited June 2010
    Thespis wrote: »
    Just because a game is made using the main characters of a movie does not mean it's a sequel. It's just a game based on a movie.

Well, by mere definition of "sequel", it actually would be one.
  • edited June 2010
    Well, by mere definition of "sequel", it actually would be one.

Read the quote I posted above.
    edited June 2010
    It's a nice quote, absolutely not unknown to me, and it definitly is not only at the core of my original post's issues, but in fact raises the questions in my original post.

If the game continues the story of the movies, it's a sequel by definition. If that's not what Connors meant, we'd still have to hear his definition of "sequel". And he'd definitly touch on the issues in my first post by doing that.

Don't get all heated up on this... we're both waiting equally passionate for new information. ;)
  • edited June 2010
    i hope everything that happens in this video happens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBBw9E2Q_aY
    Its so freakin epic!! I mean it!!
  • edited July 2010
    "Alternative version" works as a definition. I mean, it's been done before. And where the hell did that Lord of the Rings MMORPG come from, anyway? That's right - it's all alternative, non-canon stuff.
  • edited July 2010
    i hope everything that happens in this video happens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBBw9E2Q_aY
    Its so freakin epic!! I mean it!!

that was great....
  • edited July 2010
    well I hope they stick with the movie, Whats back to the future without the deLorean or marty,doc, hill valley ect... I dont think UH will have them stray 2 far away from bttf the movie plot lines. Its like when they make jurrasic park the game they dont have dinos in it . These are things that stand out in the movie and things we have come to love, thats we are all fans! So hopefully they make game play like in the movie! Have a chase in the twin pines mall, stop biff from getting the sports alamanic and having a alt future.
  • edited July 2010
    Think of it like Star Trek. Deep Space 9 wasn't a "sequel" to The Next Generation, which itself wasn't a sequel to the original series. The later television series weren't sequels to the earlier films. They were all just different stories in the same universe. I figure the TTG Back to the Future game(s) will share a similar kind of relationship to the Back to the Future movies.
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    To answer this question without treading over NDA lines... it goes a little something like this:

I think it is safe to assume based on the survey that we are not looking at retreading the movie plot-lines.

Therefore, considering that there is no additional time machine for Doc and Marty to have adventures with before the initial Twin Pines introduction of the DeLorean (within their local timeline of events, I mean,) these games could only ever be within the realm of sequels-- as there is no interesting prequel material without the invention of time travel.

As with any licensor, we are bound by guidelines, rules, and cannon that the property owners consider essential to the license. Even if we create new characters, they have to be approved by the Bob Gale/Universal machine, who so far have been very excited by the ideas we have been presenting them, and have been tossing equally exciting "why not's" back at us. We are pretty much ignoring the cartoons, for what it's worth, and focusing simply on the cannon as presented in the movies and creating new cannon with the blessing of Bob Gale.

Ultimately, something I emphasize almost every time I respond to a thread here, those of us working on Back to the Future are passionate about the movies. We don't want to make a game that features random, unknown characters driving a time travelling Mini Cooper.

For us, it's all about Doc, Marty, Biff, Einstein and a DeLorean-- and the family-based drama they deal with throughout time in Hill Valley. We're not doing Bill and Ted, or Terminator, or Hot Tub Time Machine... all great flicks, though.. of a different ilk.

S'alright? S'alright! ;)
  • edited July 2010
    Sinaz20 wrote: »

For us, it's all about Doc, Marty, Biff, Einstein and a DeLorean-- and the family-based drama they deal with throughout time in Hill Valley. We're not doing Bill and Ted, or Terminator, or Hot Tub Time Machine... all great flicks, though.. of a different ilk.

S'alright? S'alright! ;)

This makes me smile. :D

Sounds like you guys got the core of BttF down perfectly.
  • edited July 2010
    By the way, I wouldn't really mind a Bill and Ted game from you guys o_o
    edited July 2010
    Thank you so much for your post, Sinaz - that's a strain of philosophy I've been hoping for. ;)
  • edited July 2010
    What is it you'd actually want to ask with the seemingly simple question "Is this BTTF 4"?
    • That it's actually so non-interactive that it could be regarded as a fourth movie?

Wasn't Tron 2 a videogame?
  • edited July 2010
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    As with any licensor, we are bound by guidelines, rules, and cannon that the property owners consider essential to the license.
    I thought licensing stuff was serious business, but I didn't know it was done at gunpoint... *shudders*

:p

np: Autechre - y7 (Move Of Ten)
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    Leak wrote: »
    I thought licensing stuff was serious business, but I didn't know it was done at gunpoint... *shudders*

:p

np: Autechre - y7 (Move Of Ten)

Lol... nice catch. Grammar check, spell check... but no context check. Oh well.
  • edited July 2010
    It's not BttF 4... It's going to take place after a non-existant Bttf4! :p
  • edited July 2010
    Great post Sinaz, thanks...
  • edited July 2010
    But how does TTG continue the BTTF Story if the DeLorean has been destroyed in Part III as we all know?
  • edited July 2010
    it would be alot like the ghost busters game
  • edited July 2010
    MarkoH01 wrote: »
    But how does TTG continue the BTTF Story if the DeLorean has been destroyed in Part III as we all know?

I asked this before, and figured it out on my own. Doc gets more DeLoreans. That's what he did for BttF: The Ride, and I'm pretty sure the animated series had a DeLorean, so I don't see what's stopping him from getting another one.
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks for the post sinaz, that clears up alot! I cant wait to see a trailer or any clip art!
  • edited August 2010
    when you say episodes i think of 30 min segments... i hope thse games aren't real quick
  • edited August 2010
    xbskid wrote: »
    I asked this before, and figured it out on my own. Doc gets more DeLoreans. That's what he did for BttF: The Ride, and I'm pretty sure the animated series had a DeLorean, so I don't see what's stopping him from getting another one.

Or he travels through time using some other means of hitting 88MPH and borrows the existing one. Then puts it back when he's done, a moment after taking it.
    Jenna wrote: »
    when you say episodes i think of 30 min segments... i hope thse games aren't real quick

Most Telltale episodes last between 2 and 6 hours, depending on your skill and familiarity with the adventure genre, and how much use you make of the hint system.
  • edited August 2010
    I wasn't aware that there was a hint system
  • edited August 2010
    Well if you wanna call it a bttf4.. But it would be more like bttf5 instead, cause they made a bttf movie called Looking back at the future a few years ago!
  • edited August 2010
    bttf1985cc wrote: »
    Well if you wanna call it a bttf4.. But it would be more like bttf5 instead, cause they made a bttf movie called Looking back at the future a few years ago!

Well, no it wouldn't.

That was a documentary, the Back To The Future series were feature films.

Actually why am I even bothering, no one else with half a brain would consider a documentary (with a different name / director) part of the 'trilogy'.
  • edited August 2010
    Actually, this is set after a fictional BTTF 4. This is actually BTTF 5.
    ;)

Sorry. Telltale Joke!
    :)
    edited August 2010
    Actually, this is set after a fictional BTTF 4. This is actually BTTF 5.
    ;)
    SubSidal wrote: »
    It's not BttF 4... It's going to take place after a non-existant Bttf4! :p

Next one with this joke gets banned. :D
  • edited August 2010
    mcfly88 wrote: »
    Well, no it wouldn't.

That was a documentary, the Back To The Future series were feature films.

Actually why am I even bothering, no one else with half a brain would consider a documentary (with a different name / director) part of the 'trilogy'.

I know this, thats why I was just saying if you want to call it a bttf4.... since some people want to keep on adding to the trilogy with 4 or 5 or 6 ect.. lol
  • edited August 2010
    Wasn't there an episode of Spin City that was called Back to the Future Part IV?
  • edited August 2010
    seibert999 wrote: »
    it would be alot like the ghost busters game

Okay, was that considered a sequel? Because it's a new story, taking place after the movies. ANd if it's not, then why not?

I'd actually prefer if the BTTF game be like that. Y'know, new story.
  • edited August 2010
    a bill and ted game would be awesome, you'd have to do things after you've found out you've done it, say stealing the keys or rigging up the bag and tape recorder, only a lot more things
  • edited August 2010
    doc could create another, cause maybe the time line is in danger and they need to go back in time to stop something bad from happening
Sign in to comment in this discussion.