"What Do You Want to See in a Back to the Future Game? Tell Us!"

Comments

• edited July 2010
    The four plotlines are all too awesome! Can't I vote all them as first place? :D

Can't wait!!!
  • edited July 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    The four plotlines are all too awesome! Can't I vote all them as first place? :D

Can't wait!!!

I liked them all except for the last one (the 2010 one with the time-cops). I do NOT want time police types in my Back to the Future game.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited July 2010
    *deep sigh*

Didn't like the plots. The only acceptable one was rather lame. :(
  • edited July 2010
    I didn't mind the plots, the only one I didn't care for was the 1939 one where young Doc decides to give up science for to marry some girl. That doesn't seem to fit in well with what was set up in the movies. I understand this may not be "canon", but that seems to stray a little too far from the source. And I disagree with Steve, I actually thought it was interesting to introduce multiple time travelers to the game outside of just Doc and Marty. Biff being a "temporal cop" may be a little cheesy and out of character for him, but I like the overall idea.

One thing that did concern me was how much I saw the Time Train in the plots. I understand it being a part of the game, but the DeLorean NEEDS to be in the game and NEEDS to be the primary way of traveling through time for this to feel like the true Back to the Future game us BttF nerds have been clamoring for for all these years.
  • edited July 2010
    I liked two plots, I hated the other two.
    Two were just generic "let's throw all the characters into a generic plot that might fit Sam and Max or any other game as well", while the others were "let's do something that works only with BttF".
    Go figure which of them I liked and which I hated.
  • edited July 2010
    I didn't think it was Biff as a timecop, but one of his descendants.
  • edited July 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    I didn't think it was Biff as a timecop, but one of his descendants.

In the movies, all of Biff's descendants were typically jerks in some level or another, so having one of them being a good guy/cop is kind of a step 'outside the lines' as it were. Maybe not as bad as the one with Doc giving up science to get married, but still a bit off from what the movies set up.
  • edited July 2010
    the 80s plotline is the best!
  • edited July 2010
    1968>2010>1986>1939

Even if it is a young Doc Brown, the 1939 plot seemed too out of character for him, and the overall objective felt really weak, even if the purpose is to ensure the time machine is invented. I was pretty okay with the others, though.
    Spykes wrote: »
    In the movies, all of Biff's descendants were typically jerks in some level or another, so having one of them being a good guy/cop is kind of a step 'outside the lines' as it were. Maybe not as bad as the one with Doc giving up science to get married, but still a bit off from what the movies set up.

Except that it's pretty likely that he's going to be a corrupt cop, being a Tannen and all.
  • edited July 2010
    I like the 1939 one best, but they need to make sure that someone from the future went back to arrange that wedding to change the original timeline.

It's one paradox to go back and time and change something so you actually never could go back in time, but a totally different one to have an original timeline ensuring you never can go back in time, and then still be able to go back in time to see there's actually a problem preventing you from going back in time.

Am I making sense?

The Biff as timecop thing I hated. Too sci-fi.

The three teenagers from 2010 sounded too DoTT and more annoying than intriguing, like it really could be any other franchise; like "Honey, I sent the kids back in time" or something ...

The 1968 one could work, though the description sounded too chaotic and convoluted.
    edited July 2010
    1968>2010>1986>1939

Even if it is a young Doc Brown, the 1939 plot seemed too out of character for him, and the overall objective felt really weak, even if the purpose is to ensure the time machine is invented. I was pretty okay with the others, though.

I specifically wrote "Doc Brown is never young!" into the explanation field. ;)

BTTF had its fair share of different time travel mechanics, but MJF and Doc always seemed to still exist although they came from and were shaped by an alternate past. There might not actually be that much danger by "not inventing the time machine". Apart from a few paradoxons that wipe out the entire galaxy.

The whole plot is weak. Doc did not marry, what are the circumstances creating this alternate timeline? Did Labiffca Tannen travel back in time to seduce him? Really, this leads to nowhere.

I think that much could be done with the time period 1937 to 1945; this would really be dark times with the war going on, and this could really benefit the story. The brutal reality of history at least knocked at the door in the BTTF movies. But honestly, no go with this storyline, that's more one for the animated series. Getting Jules Verne books in and playing with his books and visions? I'm all for it, great direction, and Gale's direction also, develop that further. Messing with Doc's distant past on shallow pretense? Doc and Marty as "party crashers", what kind of finale is that supposed to be?

"Look, Marty, he's reading the book! We're saved!"

Why don't you make like a tree...
    Spykes wrote: »
    One thing that did concern me was how much I saw the Time Train in the plots. I understand it being a part of the game, but the DeLorean NEEDS to be in the game and NEEDS to be the primary way of traveling through time for this to feel like the true Back to the Future game us BttF nerds have been clamoring for for all these years.

Seconded. The DeLorean is nothing less than an actual character in the movies, the time travel train just a massively hyperbolic epilogue. Just like the DeLorean's destruction, the "introduction" of the train serves to end the movie series once and for all...
  • edited July 2010
    I saw the 1939 plot an example of a possible predestination paradox, one time travel device not used in the trilogy (as far as I can remember anyway).
  • edited July 2010
    I think there's a reason for that. Basically, with the way these movies handle time travel, a stable time loop is pretty much impossible without contradicting the previously set down rules of time travel.

Not that they don't contradict themselves once in a while, but this would be much bigger.
  • OMAOMA
    edited July 2010
    Maybe the 2010 date (November, 5th) is meant to be "present day" and thus it's the day the game will be released :D
  • edited July 2010
    I really like the idea of a 1930s setting, but the specific 'Doc getting distracted by a girl' thing is not really a goer for me.
  • edited July 2010
    Keep in mind these are just IDEAS, people. Not proven to happen anytime soon. But I like the ideas. PS, did anyone notice there's only FOUR plots given instead of FIVE?
    edited July 2010
    Keep in mind these are just IDEAS, people. Not proven to happen anytime soon.

I'd even go so far as to assume that none of these storylines is actually considered for the game, not for a minute. These copies are just meant to evaluate general story directions potential customers might like or dislike, answering general questions such as: How far can or should we play the Science-Fiction element? How complicated should the story be? How much can/should we imitate previous movie story arcs? How important is Marty's family really? What could Doc's actual role in the game be?
  • edited July 2010
    I tried to take the survey but it said I was too old. :( Can someone list out what they were asking?
  • edited July 2010
    The 1986 plot really appeals to me, because it indicates that they'll be exploring the differences between '86 and 2010 (though whether it'll be a realistic 2010 or a shade of the goofy BttF2 2015 is up in the air, I imagine). It also begs a few questions -- who are these kids, and how did they get their hands on the time device? -- that could be explored in subsequent episodes over a sprawling narrative arc.

The Tannen-as-timecop plot ranks second for me because it has equal growth potential, though Tannen's involvement in the timestream was only the result of a happy coincidence in the movies, and having one of his descendants just-so-happen to reappear in a position of power seems a little too convenient to me.

The other two stories feel like instanced stories that require too much justification. I'd still play them, but the Doc-being-led-astray thing is a really fanfictiony premise -- it turns an awkward joke from the third movie into a critical plot point and paints him as uncharacteristically fickle for the sake of creating conflict -- and the flux-capacitor-as-peace-symbol plot is way, way too much of a coincidence that would require some really convoluted stuff for it to spread out over a series of episodes.

And another thing -- no matter what, they'd better have some Huey Lewis in these games! You hear me, Telltale?! :mad:
    edited July 2010
    I tried to take the survey but it said I was too old. :( Can someone list out what they were asking?

WTF!?! How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? Wouldn't you be a paying customer as well??
  • edited July 2010
    I like either the 80s or the 30s.... I would rather the train be left in the third movie.
  • edited July 2010
    WTF!?! How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? Wouldn't you be a paying customer as well??

I'm 40. I saw the movie in the theaters when I was 15. I guess they assume I'm going to buy it no matter what (they are right) and they are looking for people who were are younger.
    edited July 2010
    I'm 40. I saw the movie in the theaters when I was 15. I guess they assume I'm going to buy it no matter what (they are right) and they are looking for people who were are younger.

I was too young to see part I... but part II and III, I did see in the theater, aged 12 or even 13. Looks like I just made the cut. ;)

I can't get into the survey from my working place, but if you like, I could send you the four plots via PM as soon as I get home (2 hours... ;) ). That would enable you to discuss with us, at least.

/edit: 12 posts... why does your user name still sound so very familiar to me??
  • edited July 2010
    None of the plots really excited me. I like 1938 as a year, but don't like the girl, I think a timecop sounds great, but I'm sick of the Biff clones.
    I'd like something crazy that doesn't just sound like a recycled BttF movie plot.
    Heheh, in fact all this even led me to try and write my own plot for a BttF game...
    Doc Brown visits 1929, so he can see his father before he dies. Doc manages to talk to the guy and it's all nice and sweet and a little cheesy. Now, this somehow accidentally alters the timeline. Doc goes back to the future and... The United States are part of the Soviet Union? Great Scottski! How did that happen? And on top of that the militia confiscates his time machine! So he runs around soviet Hill Valley and is trying to get the DeLorean from Commissar Biff Tannski.
  • edited July 2010
    I like the 1939 one best, but they need to make sure that someone from the future went back to arrange that wedding to change the original timeline.

It's one paradox to go back and time and change something so you actually never could go back in time, but a totally different one to have an original timeline ensuring you never can go back in time, and then still be able to go back in time to see there's actually a problem preventing you from going back in time.

Am I making sense?

No, but I agree this was the best idea and the others sucked to various degrees.

I don't think that somebody needs to alter Doc's past in the 1930s - I've got a frankly great idea as to what could necessitate meddling in his past in this manner.....
  • edited July 2010
    Am I the only one that though that perhaps a Flux Capacitor would not be the best thing for a pregnant woman to have around her neck? I feel like that's a radioactive birth defect just waiting to happen... I like the story line ideas. However: I want to see NEW adventures with nods to the movies, not rehashes of the films and their stories...
  • edited July 2010
    Sorry I didn't realize there was a thread for this already. I'll post what I posted there:

I thought it was rather interesting. Some of the game concepts they came up with to rate (not ones they'll probably ever actually use, but take ideas from) were quite interesting and different. My favourite one was the 1986 scenario as it was the most different from the movies. I didn't like the 1939 one at all. I also didn't like the 2010 one, but not for the same reasons everyone else did. I don't think that time cops should be in the BTTF universe. It pushes BTTF into a pure sci-fi theme which it obviously isn't. You'd have to have time cops ever present in the canon from that point onward. I think Doc and Marty should be the only ones who have a time machine (being the only ones who use it is an entirely different matter). Or possibly maybe even one other person who created his own time machine...possibly of entirely different status than the Delorean/Train (ie- not a car that requires speed to break the time barrier). That would show and interesting dynamic between how different scientists work and would be an interesting character insight story device (is that a term? lol).

I didn't like the whole time cop thing, but what I DID like about the 2010 plot was that a Tannen wasn't portrayed as a bully villain. Merely an antagonist. It looked almost like he could possibly even have a good side to him and that interests me greatly. A different take on a Tannen with another all-evil villain somewhere else. I dislike the same old thing and the Tannen bullies thing was done to death in the movies. I like different.

One thing these plot scenarios showed me was that Telltale has the ability to take the core elements of what makes BTTF what it is and spin a different take on it. I was somewhat worried about how they'd approach that but I now see that the BTTF concept is in capable hands. Also, it should be noted that those 4 scenarios in the survey are just examples of what can be done with BTTF and aren't necessarily what TTG will use once the game actually goes into development. What you should take home from them are the different elements that make up the core of what the BTTF game would be about. Not necessarily those specific scenarios but the ideas behind them on how to take the series forward.

I'm excited for a BTTF game...
  • edited July 2010
    By the way: I think it would be pretty damn awesome if you guys could wrangle Christopher Lloyd and Michael J. Fox.

I think that even if you can't get them, I think that just about EVERYONE here would like to see some profit donations to the Michael J. Fox Foundation. (I'd pay an extra $1 per ep, if it was donated to MJF's group) Anyone else?

edit: bolded to catch eyes of scrollers.
  • edited July 2010
    Am I the only one that though that perhaps a Flux Capacitor would not be the best thing for a pregnant woman to have around her neck? I feel like that's a radioactive birth defect just waiting to happen... I like the story line ideas. However: I want to see NEW adventures with nods to the movies, not rehashes of the films and their stories...

The Flux Capacitor wouldn't be radioactive. It receives the energy produced from the power plant in the back of the car and then does whatever it does to make time travel possible. Think of it as a powerline, not something you'd want to be holding while it's transmitting energy, but totally harmless when disconnected from a power supply.

The power plant in the back would be the only thing that might be radioactive, but I have a feeling that one of the benefits of Mr. Fusion is that it's free of any radioactivity. Regardless, the power plant should be heavily shielded, especially since it was originally designed to use plutonium as fuel.
    edited July 2010
    Thespis wrote: »
    The Flux Capacitor wouldn't be radioactive.

Seconded, with all my heart. If it were, Doc would be incredibly stupid actually installing the thing right_behind_his_head. ;)
  • edited July 2010
    Thespis wrote: »
    The Flux Capacitor wouldn't be radioactive.

This is why we keep guys like you around :) Thanks for the learnin'
  • edited July 2010
    ..............I think that just about EVERYONE here would like to see some profit donations to the Michael J. Fox Foundation. (I'd pay an extra $1 per ep, if it was donated to MJF's group) Anyone else?..........

Seconded I like this idea....
  • edited July 2010
    Third the idea. Though I do worry that Michael J. Fox may no longer have his Marty voice on him. It happens to some people.
  • edited July 2010

Same here.

Seems pretty fecking lame that a survery on a game based on a 25 year old movie has such a low age limit.

The average age of gamers is about 32 these days.

:mad::mad:
  • edited July 2010
    Couldn't take the survey - too old. Well I guess that's it then, I am officially old... and vaguely offended.
  • edited July 2010
    Took the survey anyway, changed my age. It was like I was time travelling...
  • edited July 2010
    It said I wasn't who they were looking for...

Odd because I will likely buy the game...
  • edited July 2010
    68, the best idea so far. I always hated the time-train, so it's cool to have it involved in a wreckage.

No seriously, besides the partial destruction of the train, i liked the idea of a time travelling accident, and the consecuenses this has.
    Also recovering debris, or items, whatever, seems more game oriented; considering one of my fears with this game is to get a short movie with some clicks here and there to proceed.
  • edited July 2010
    Kolgax wrote: »
    It said I wasn't who they were looking for...

Odd because I will likely buy the game...

At first i got that too, but i knew it was because instead of being a "fan" i put "neutral".
    Just go back in time and turn to the fan side. Then you can be normal again.
  • edited July 2010
    Darnit. It didn't like me so refused to ask me questions. What were the plots?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.