The City that Dares not Sleep Speculation Thread

Comments

• edited July 2010
    The finale may well be Max vs Max. Papierwaite says Max is very special in that his psychic power appears to run in his family, i.e. genetically determined, so a cloned Max may have all the freakish power of the original. Indeed, when you try to shoot the cloning pod, Sam comments that "Nah, considering how things go, we may have to clone a new Max before all is over."

So 305 may involve finding a way to clone a new lagomorph and blowing it up to gigantic proportions. As we see in 304, the cloning process does not produce very mindful individuals, so Sam may have to get in giant Max's body to control him -- thus fulfilling the vision where Sam is "eaten" by a giant Max.
  • edited July 2010
    Randulf wrote: »
    The finale may well be Max vs Max. Papierwaite says Max is very special in that his psychic power appears to run in his family, i.e. genetically determined, so a cloned Max may have all the freakish power of the original. Indeed, when you try to shoot the cloning pod, Sam comments that "Nah, considering how things go, we may have to clone a new Max before all is over."

So 305 may involve finding a way to clone a new lagomorph and blowing it up to gigantic proportions. As we see in 304, these clones are not very mindful, so Sam may have to get in giant Max's body to control him -- thus fulfilling the vision where Sam is "eaten" by a giant Max.

That's actually a really interesting theory. It would also help explain the future visions in 301 where Sam tells Max to avoid the chrysler building but it would also present a problem where the Max who wins the battle isn't REALLY the real Max philosophically speaking.
  • edited July 2010
    We see Sam holding a dead Max in his arms and he screams no. We then zoom out to see the T.V in a ancient dilapidated Office, the video ejects and we zoom out some more to see some future ancestors of Sam and Max watching. Then we turn around along with the future Sam and Max to see two skeletons of the original Sam and Max.

I'm going to hurt someone if that happens. Hurt someone...with a KNIFE.
  • edited July 2010
    I have a feeling Sal is not dead. He is just too tough for such a fall to kill him. I'm far from thinking that as a cockroach he is nearly immortal, though. There are many ways to kill a roach. Some people just step on them. But admittedly, one would have to possess a really huge foot for stepping on Sal.

By the way, I'm not sure if Girl Stinky is really in love with Sal or just needs him for her plan to get rid of her grampa.

And has anybody noticed in the season trailer whenever the narrator is shown, the portraits in the background show Skun-ka'pe, Papierwaite, Sammun-Mak, the Toybox and the Pollosaurus?
  • edited July 2010
    Iryon wrote: »
    I'm far from thinking that as a cockroach he is nearly immortal, though. There are many ways to kill a roach. Some people just step on them. But admittedly, one would have to possess a really huge foot for stepping on Sal.
    Well, Max does have really huge feet right now...
  • edited July 2010
    tabstis wrote: »
    That's actually a really interesting theory. It would also help explain the future visions in 301 where Sam tells Max to avoid the chrysler building but it would also present a problem where the Max who wins the battle isn't REALLY the real Max philosophically speaking.

That's where the brain swap comes back into play. :D
  • edited July 2010
    does basco come back anytime soon ???
    god i miss him =(
    sibyl and Lincoln is not there too
  • edited July 2010
    Max only would be a gigantic half-lagomorph during the first one or two acts. Why? 'cause walking all the city without teleportation AND without the COPS would transform the Telltale offices transforms into the Stinky's dinner, besieged by a horde of angry fans.
    Max doesn't work without Sam and Sam doesn't work without Max, so I dunno what are tey going to do.
  • edited July 2010
    Max only would be a gigantic half-lagomorph during the first one or two acts. Why? 'cause walking all the city without teleportation AND without the COPS would transform the Telltale offices transforms into the Stinky's dinner, besieged by a horde of angry fans.
    Max doesn't work without Sam and Sam doesn't work without Max, so I dunno what are tey going to do.

Telltale know what they're doing. They've demonstrated that repeatedly and I have no worries that the finale will be stale, boring and maxless. They'll find a way for us to get PLENTY of Max in the episode.
  • edited July 2010
    Telltale know what they're doing. They've demonstrated that repeatedly and I have no worries that the finale will be stale, boring and maxless. They'll find a way for us to get PLENTY of Max in the episode.

I'm sure of it. I only hope that they don't put the game... on October, for example. Oh, and a mussical number wouldn't hurt anybody.
  • edited July 2010
    Okay, new amount of questions:
    1. How will Sam stop Max?
    2. Is Sal okay?
    3. How will Bluster Bluster meet his fate?
    4. Will Sam get eaten?
    5. Is there a question 5?
  • edited July 2010
    2. Is Sal okay?
    4. Will Sam get eaten?

How about
    5. Will Stinky and Sal go through with their plans for Grandpa Stinky?
  • edited July 2010
    2. Is Sal okay?
    4. Will Sam get eaten?

5. What's the deallio with the Narrator?
  • edited July 2010
    My predictions:
    • Most of the episode will be located inside Demon Max. When Sam gets eaten, inside will be nexus of worlds or something with Max's essence/soul trapped somewhere. What I'm hoping are either traveling through crazy dimensions, more time travel, or collecting Max's memories.
    • Max will die, if he's not dead already. Of course, he will be cloned at the end and his soul will possess it.
    • The Narrator may be the villain since he knows everything that is about to happen. He's pulling all the strings in this odd puppet show.
    • Sam will end up kissing someone else.
    • At the very finale, this whole season turns out to be a dream. Max fell asleep in front of the TV watching a late night retro-movie marathon. :)
  • edited July 2010
    Telltale, you'd best not troll us with 'IT WAS ALL A DREAM'. I get enough game-company trolling from Valve.
  • edited July 2010
    @Breakman: Double yes. No. Kinda hope not, but likely. Please be not weird. *spit-take* Hells no.
  • edited July 2010
    5. Will Sam ever find true love?
  • edited July 2010
    Uh guys
    5. What have Stinky and Sal got planned for Grandpa Stinky and will they go through with it?
    6. Will Papierwaite and/or Norrington pull through after the dramatic fall?
    7. What has happened to General Skunkape after he was pulled into the hands of the Sam clones?
  • edited July 2010
    Uh guys
    5. What have Stinky and Sal got planned for Grandpa Stinky and will they go through with it?
    6. Will Papierwaite and/or Norrington pull through after the dramatic fall?
    7. What has happened to General Skunkape after he was pulled into the hands of the Sam clones?

5. A surprise birthday party!
    6. An elder god can survive a fall from a high building I think.
    7. He'll be fine.
  • edited July 2010
    Originally posted by The Gentleman
    6. An elder god can survive a fall from a high building I think.

Did Charlie not shoot him with the Destroyer power? The power that could destroy anything from the Dark Dimension, which he is from?
  • edited July 2010
    Not to mention he's not a "real" Elder God. If Papierwaite dies, he probably dies too, and it's unlikely for a human to survive a fall like that (especially without any medical aid afterwards).
    Breakman wrote: »
    [*]Sam will end up kissing someone else.
    Max? :D
  • edited July 2010
    Nintomster wrote: »
    Did Charlie not shoot him with the Destroyer power? The power that could destroy anything from the Dark Dimension, which he is from?

If you try the Cthonic Destroyer on Papierwaite/Norrington yourself, he will tell you that any life forms joined at the hip, one from the current dimension, one from the dark, will only be injured by it, not destroyed.
  • edited July 2010
    I suspect that the Samulacrums aren't just about to disappear - they're bound to have some purpose in this finale.

Also, Sam and Momma Bosco are currently in control of a massive cloning facility, so perhaps they'll just simply end up cloning a new Max (or lots of Sals, or whoever).

What else could be useful...astral projection? That never made a return, and yet I don't think it's fulfilled its entire potential. Skunkape's ship? Possible, but who knows.

Oh, and I guess we'll be making a journey to the Devil's Playhouse itself...so a trip to the demonic dimensions is in order?
  • edited July 2010
    lombre wrote: »
    How about
    5. Will Stinky and Sal go through with their plans for Grandpa Stinky?

Doubt it: Gramp can easily turn the girl back to her true immobile form, and Sal is unlikely to commit a crime.
  • edited July 2010
    Origianally posted by tbm1986
    If you try the Cthonic Destroyer on Papierwaite/Norrington yourself, he will tell you that any life forms joined at the hip, one from the current dimension, one from the dark, will only be injured by it, not destroyed.

Oh, never knew that. I heard that you can try to use it, I just haven't done it yet.
  • edited July 2010
    I suspect that Bluster Blaster may be a Toy of Power, given both his future and what Telltale said about him.
  • edited July 2010
    Max? :D

I hope not. But it is a big possibility... (And that doesn't even make the top 20 list of "Creepy Things We've Seen in the Last Four Months." Or maybe it would?) ^^;

I actually had Mama Bosco in mind.
    Cyrus7 wrote: »
    I suspect that Bluster Blaster may be a Toy of Power, given both his future and what Telltale said about him.

That would be interesting. But I can't think of a good power he would have and would involve his future...
  • edited July 2010
    Cyrus7 wrote: »

Sam created Bluster Blaster AND that 'destiny' is just his future in BtAotD
  • edited July 2010
    im guessing gaint max would destroy buildings and tanks would come in and knock max down into crisler building but max is imortal he cant die unless you kill him from inside of his body (im still guessing) so he gets up and destroy the tanks or smashes one of the tanks into the building ... sam comes in with the army of clones and attacks max ... sam gets eaten by max and from the inside of his body .. we might see the narrorator controlling max ... sam beats up the narrator and tells him how to stop max .. the narrator might say "its all an illusion" ... then sam ends up inside the movie theater and the narrator shows up and says " i can control everything around you" he hits sam with the floating chair and sam wakes up in his office and sees max in normal form and says to max" its only a damn dream little buddy" ... woow thats alot of writing =P i have more but its gonna take to long to write ... its only a prediction ... what u think of it ??
  • edited July 2010
    Sam created Bluster Blaster AND that 'destiny' is just his future in BtAotD

Buster Blaster already existed. All Sam did was tweak the difficulty and install an AI chip.
  • edited July 2010
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    Buster Blaster already existed. All Sam did was tweak the difficulty and install an AI chip.

Nah, he actually MADE the Bluster Blaster, it's explained in that episode.

Also, Max touched BB before, but didn't get any psychic powers. BUT, I'm not really sure about Chippy...
  • edited July 2010
    What about Carol? We've never seen her before this season, what do we really know about her? :eek: OH MY GOD, I'M A GENIUS!
  • edited July 2010
    I'm not ready to leave Papierwaite, Skunkape, or Dr. Norrington out of the next episode yet. They've been allegedly killed multiple times, but they all "got better." From what I could tell, the Cthonic Destroyer never actually hit Papierwaite or Norrington; It just broke the chain that was holding their cage.

Also, I'm thinking that when Norringotn is sent home, Papierwaite might just age normally from that point on, instead of dropping dead right there and then. Perhaps he'll fill the role of the C.O.P.S. in Season Four; a former enemy turned ally.

Speaking of which, anyone get the feeling Telltale's trying to write out the C.O.P.S. like they did Sybil, Abe, Bosco, and the Two-Teeth family? I missed Chippy, Curt, and Bob in the last episode.
  • edited July 2010
    c.o.p.s are cool old but cool and there are more if these ones get boring I men it fun to see old things tiring to be helpful
  • edited July 2010
    I'm not ready to leave Papierwaite, Skunkape, or Dr. Norrington out of the next episode yet. They've been allegedly killed multiple times, but they all "got better."
    Skunkape, sure. I don't think either the clones or Charlie would bother killing him.
    From what I could tell, the Cthonic Destroyer never actually hit Papierwaite or Norrington; It just broke the chain that was holding their cage.
    Even if that is true, Papierwaite just fell down the Statue of Liberty! He's dead. Also notice how Norrington seems to be dying when he unlocks Max's power.
    Also, I'm thinking that when Norringotn is sent home, Papierwaite might just age normally from that point on, instead of dropping dead right there and then. Perhaps he'll fill the role of the C.O.P.S. in Season Four; a former enemy turned ally.
    When you try the use the Destroyer on Norrington in the office, they tell you how they are a symbiotic being now and Papierwaite would die if Norrington got removed.
    I also doubt Norrington is very interested in keeping Papierwaite alive anymore. The guy has already lived for the better part of a century beyond his natural lifespan, and frankly Norrington doesn't like him that much.
    Speaking of which, anyone get the feeling Telltale's trying to write out the C.O.P.S. like they did Sybil, Abe, Bosco, and the Two-Teeth family? I missed Chippy, Curt, and Bob in the last episode.
    Maybe a bit. It looks like they're moving away from having this fixed cast appear in every episode by virtue of being neighbors, which is probably a good idea imo. I can't say their non-appearance felt particularly forced.
  • edited July 2010
    I think Sal is still alive. In the original trailer for this season, we see a shot of Sal in the sewer with Sam and Max. Pretty sure he hasn't been down there yet...unless I'm mistaken.

Leonard Snakecharmer is the main villain. It's so obvious!
  • edited July 2010
    McGoiter wrote: »
    Leonard Snakecharmer is the main villain. It's so obvious!

Well, he has the motive.
  • edited July 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    ...notice how Norrington seems to be dying when he unlocks Max's power.

Did you notice in the cinematic slow zoom-out at the end that Yog's tentacles are still wriggling? He's still alive...at least for the time being.
    Harald B wrote: »
    Maybe a bit. It looks like they're moving away from having this fixed cast appear in every episode by virtue of being neighbors, which is probably a good idea imo. I can't say their non-appearance felt particularly forced.

Agreed. Besides, I don't see how they could have been used, given that Sam & Max couldn't use the DeSoto.
    McGoiter wrote: »
    I think Sal is still alive. In the original trailer for this season, we see a shot of Sal in the sewer with Sam and Max. Pretty sure he hasn't been down there yet...unless I'm mistaken.

They've already said that some of the footage in that trailer was made just for the trailer, ie. that situation might not (I'd say it probably won't) crop up.
  • edited July 2010
    Similar, the "I've been waiting for this moment for years" and the shot of Sam afterwards in the trailer of #4 never appeared in game. They were compiled of 2 different scenes.

(although I have to say it would have been nice to have it in the game like the trailer...)
  • edited July 2010
    You know who I think is the villain? The Narrator!

Sam & Max didn't have a narrator in the past 2 seasons, but this 3rd season does.

What is the narrator's real name anyways?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.