So is it safe to say that..

The Wiiware Puzzle agent is canceled?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    No.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Indeed, it is not.
    According to this post in another thread, as of two days ago, the WiiWare version was still in development.
    After that, Telltale still has to submit the finished version to Nintendo, who then has to approve it and set a release date.
    In other words, it will be a while before it is finally safe to say that the WiiWare Puzzle Agent is cancelled.
    There's even a good chance it will never be safe! ;)
  • edited July 2010
    It's mentioned in the Interloper that I got two days ago:
    With gameplay inspired by the Professor Layton series, Puzzle Agent, our dark and twisted puzzler starring Department of Puzzle Research agent Nelson Tethers, is headed to platforms beyond the PC and Mac (btw, available this week only for only $8.95). The Telltale gang is feverishly at work on the iPhone, iPad and WiiWare versions of Puzzle Agent, so you'll soon be bending your mind on the go and on the couch. We expect to announce availability soon - stay tuned!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    We wanted to give the other ports more time, since they needed them. I think people will be happy that we did, for what it's worth.

iOS ports are going out for certification pretty much right now, and WiiWare will follow shortly.

If the WiiWare port had been canceled, we would say so. It's "safe to say" nothing like that unless we actually communicate it. That's not always the case when a game of ours is being published by a third party (like the Sam & Max retail releases, or the CSI games), but for stuff we're publishing and distributing ourselves, we're the ones who make that call and we generally like actually telling people :)
  • edited July 2010
    Considering the Telltale engine already ran on Wii, I wonder what extra work the game needed? How will it benefit the end product? I already own the PC version, but I wouldn't mind also getting the Wii version if it ends up better in some aspects (especially since cutscenes would stutter or hang occasionally on the PC version).

EDIT: ha, posted exactly a day and 1 minute later.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    The Wii is a lower res system than the PC and most other game consoles -- it runs at 720x480 pixels, and with a text-heavy game like Puzzle Agent, that isn't a lot of pixels to deal with! At that resolution, we can't run the game letterboxed on SD televisions -- we have to crop it down to 4:3 full screen, which requires reworking or tweaking many of the puzzle screens, and a few cutscene moments. A slightly different process was done for the iPhone, which is another lower res system (and also runs at a weird aspect ratio -- 3:2). Also, we haven't done a Wii game in a bit, so the engine has been brought up to date to work with the latest stuff. Puzzle Agent was done like a proper indie game within telltale -- the core team was usually well under 10 people, usually between 5 and 7, so it's not like a full standard production where we have 25+ people contributing at the peak of it. It's meant that getting ports out has been more of a rolling process than it usually is. As I said before, I think the extra time spent will be worth it.
  • edited July 2010
    Alright, thanks for answering. Now I just want to get the Wii version to see the final differences the resolution/aspect made. :)
  • edited July 2010
    I didnt think it was canceled, I had a hunch that it was still in development since it looked like it needed more tweaks for its port. It would be nice to see this released around the xmas holiday.
  • edited July 2010
    Around Christmas?

Jake wrote above "iOS ports are going out for certification pretty much right now, and WiiWare will follow shortly."

I really hope it doesn't take until December to get certified and released!
  • edited July 2010
    Jake,

When you say that iOS ports are going out for certification, are you saying that Puzzle Agent has been submitted to the App Store for approval?! Or is it still going through quality control at Telltale Games?!

Sincerely,
    Richard

Jake wrote: »
    We wanted to give the other ports more time, since they needed them. I think people will be happy that we did, for what it's worth.

iOS ports are going out for certification pretty much right now, and WiiWare will follow shortly.

If the WiiWare port had been canceled, we would say so. It's "safe to say" nothing like that unless we actually communicate it. That's not always the case when a game of ours is being published by a third party (like the Sam & Max retail releases, or the CSI games), but for stuff we're publishing and distributing ourselves, we're the ones who make that call and we generally like actually telling people :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.