First concept art / character models (plus some voice actor confirmation)

Comments

• edited September 2010
    This is indeed awesome. Both the art and Lloyd being onboard. I can't help but notice that no other actors are mentioned to return to their role and hope that it is because they are still in negotiation and/or legally not allowed to talk about it yet. And if Fox is unable to voice Marty, at least see if he can find time/feels well enough to voice Shamus, if you indeed do come around 1885.
  • edited September 2010
    joeldee wrote: »
    Yes, it's legit and it is Ryan Jones art :)

Telltale arranged with USA Today to have them break the news!

- Joel

Deliberate, since the paper was featured in the films?
  • edited September 2010
    Deliberate, since the paper was featured in the films?
    Heh you're right! The newspaper doc had with him in BttF2 was USA Today :)
    Good Find!

Also it's kinda interesting cuz the news was supposed to be released tomorrow but USA Today informed us a day earlier, as if they gave us tomorrows newspaper.
    Which reminds me, there was a Canadian TV series that featured a man getting tomorrows newspaper from a mysterious cat ... Does anyone know it's name?
  • edited September 2010
    Milkman08 wrote: »
    Which reminds me, there was a Canadian TV series that featured a man getting tomorrows newspaper from a mysterious cat ... Does anyone know it's name?
    Probably Kitty, or Felix or something? :p

Just kidding. The show was Early Edition.
  • edited September 2010
    Heh you're right! The newspaper doc had with him in BttF2 was USA Today :)
    Good Find!

Yes, that's the big one, but I'm fairly certain there was a few other appearances in the films. I'd have to watch them again.
  • edited September 2010
    Awesoooome! :D

Doc is a little...zombie-ish, his face I mean, but probably hasn't slept in a while. So it's understandable :)))

Oh man, this will be awesome! I'm saving money starting.... a month ago!
  • edited September 2010
    Interesting that they're both dressed as they were at the beginning of the first movie...
  • edited September 2010
    Well hope this isnt what they will look like lol,Doc Looking like a zombie. I would have thought since TT wants to make a BTTF game they would atleast make doc look like doc. Hope Biff, and lorean are done better.
  • edited September 2010
    Although it was extremely improbable that TT couldn't have Lloyd as Doc's VA it still is a nice thing to have it confirmed, and I'd say Wilson will be in too, it's just a matter of time. I'd also like Fox to be in it if the circumstances are favorable.
    Also Jones' art style really fits BTTF, and he made a good job with Marty; Doc doesn't look like himself though, he looks like a "mad scientist" of the bad kind, and the red pupils and yellowish skin don't help.
    Really looking foward to this game (and its merchandise) anyway, and I hope there won't be clocks to collect this time. :D
  • edited September 2010
    Although it was extremely improbable that TT couldn't have Lloyd as Doc's VA it still is a nice thing to have it confirmed, and I'd say Wilson will be in too, it's just a matter of time. I'd also like Fox to be in it if the circumstances are favorable.
    Also Jones' art style really fits BTTF, and he made a good job with Marty; Doc doesn't look like himself though, he looks like a "mad scientist" of the bad kind, and the red pupils and yellowish skin don't help.
    Really looking foward to this game (and its merchandise) anyway, and I hope there won't be clocks to collect this time. :D

I actually kind of hope they do that. I would love for TTG to throw in some references to the terrible NES games. Marty having to collect some clocks. Marty having a insane phobia of bees. 2 guys carrying a pane of glass in the background. The terrible NES BttF game midi music playing in a elevator or store.
  • edited September 2010
    I didn't thought about it too much when I wrote the joke, but on second thought I'd like a reference too, like the one in the last Ghostbusters videogame. A reference to the animated series would be nice too of course.
  • edited September 2010
    Probably Kitty, or Felix or something? :p

Just kidding. The show was Early Edition.
    Yeah that's the one :) thanks
  • edited September 2010
    According to Cinema Blend, they say the game is to be released "soon" after the release of the BttF Blu-Ray set.
    Today Telltale Games announced an episodic game series based on the Back to the Future films. The series will arrive soon after the film hits Blu-ray on October 26th.

Link

Hadn't see this in print anywhere yet.
  • jmmjmm
    edited September 2010
    Great that Christopher Lloyd is in and that Bob Gale is involved, but about the concept...
    Doc reminds me more of Lloyd Bridges than Christopher Lloyd and Marty's grin ...
    Hopefully this is only the first draft...
  • edited September 2010
    Lloyd Bridges
    You mean, The glue sniffer from Airplane! ? :D
    Sniffing%2BGlue.jpg
    sniffing%252Bglue.jpg
    I don't see any resamblance...

But still, I agree with you, Doc doesn't look like himself in that Concept Art ...
  • edited September 2010
    Looks fantastic, and hooray for Bob Gale and Christopher Lloyd's involvement! You rock Telltale!
  • edited September 2010
    I think Marty & Doc both look fantastic. I hope they translate well to 3D.
  • edited September 2010
    jmm wrote: »
    Great that Christopher Lloyd is in and that Bob Gale is involved, but about the concept...
    Doc reminds me more of Lloyd Bridges than Christopher Lloyd and Marty's grin ...
    Hopefully this is only the first draft...

Marty's grin in the art is a little un-Marty like, but that's getting pretty nitpicky considering it's a still image. I don't think there will be any problems with that. So I think Ryan Jones got Marty down perfectly.

Doc does look a little too... tired/run down. If that makes sense. Not sure I agree with the Lloyd Bridges comparison, but I agree that he looks just a bit off. Its close enough that it wouldn't really bother me if they went with that look for Doc, but it would be nice to see them liven him up a bit more. Doc was always full of energy and seemed to have Red Bull in his blood stream throughout the series. Again though, this could just be an issue of we're seeing a still concept art image for what will end up being a fully animated 3d game, so its likely just more nitpicking.

But ya, outside of those notes, I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I think they did a perfect mix of realistic and cartoony.
  • edited September 2010
    Spykes wrote: »
    Doc does look a little too... tired/run down. If that makes sense. Not sure I agree with the Lloyd Bridges comparison, but I agree that he looks just a bit off. Its close enough that it wouldn't really bother me if they went with that look for Doc, but it would be nice to see them liven him up a bit more. Doc was always full of energy and seemed to have Red Bull in his blood stream throughout the series. Again though, this could just be an issue of we're seeing a still concept art image for what will end up being a fully animated 3d game, so its likely just more nitpicking.

But ya, outside of those notes, I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I think they did a perfect mix of realistic and cartoony.

This.

PS:
    I think it's just a rumour, we already know that TellTale's BttF is going to be released after Jurassic Park in winter 2011, so I don't think we're gonna get it sooner than February 2011.
  • edited September 2010
    I think it's just a rumour, we already know that TellTale's BttF is going to be released after Jurassic Park in winter 2011, so I don't think we're gonna get it sooner than February 2011.

After? According to the Press Release about the TTG and Universal agreement, BttF is being released first...
    The first game released under the agreement will be a Telltale Games "season" based on the successful Back to the Future series of films.
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah, BTTF first, Jurassic Park later is the order that everyone's been reporting.
  • edited September 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    Also, I guess that Zemeckis and Spielberg will visit TellTale at some time to discuss some stuff and even suggest some puzzles!

On the other hand, this is the same Spielburg who demanded the studio withdraw "The War of the Worlds" from a special pre-viewing AFTER the event had been auctioned off for charity..... Perhaps better to give him a wide berth?
  • edited September 2010
    bttf1985cc wrote: »
    Well hope this isnt what they will look like lol,Doc Looking like a zombie.

Hmm.... "Back to the Future and Zombies"? Hell, they did it with "Pride and Prejudice", and a Zombies/Star Trek (convention) novel's just been announced....

AJB
  • edited September 2010
    Hi guys, I liked the Marty and Doc concepts very much, they really look like they should look like in a Back to the Future Game.
    Can't wait to see more stuff and learn what the game will play like :D
  • edited September 2010
    I think TellTales best bet would be to do the game with the 2D art! it looks awesome as is! They might lose character if tehy go 3d with it.
  • edited September 2010
    This is great!

I'm extremely confident with Telltale, they can and they will make a great game!
  • edited September 2010
    Well if they go to 2D they'd have to develop a completely different game engine (sprite based rather than polygon based) which would be a massive change in build time I'd imagine (and would require a lot more effort to get character sprites of that quality in the resolution you'd be playing at).
  • edited September 2010
    If you want the game in 2D, just put a patch over one eye when you play.
  • edited September 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    If you want the game in 2D, just put a patch over one eye when you play.

A BTTF Eye Patch?

I just hope the final character models look like the concept art. They did a Good job with MI, so I shouldn't worry really.
  • edited September 2010
    ElWaster wrote: »
    A BTTF Eye Patch?
    JP was joking ElWaster.You see, our brain uses the data of both left and right eyes to create a 3D image.
    In response to Spectral Knight He jokingly said if you put an eye patch on one of your eyes then your brain would see the game in 2D :)
  • edited September 2010
    JP was joking ElWaster.You see, our brain uses the data of both left and right eyes to create a 3D image.
    In response to Spectral Knight He jokingly said if you put an eye patch on one of your eyes then your brain would see the game in 2D :)

lol Milkman - I did get it. I was being sarcastic..
  • edited September 2010
    What kind of sarcasm was that? It's not even close to effective ...
  • edited September 2010
    Eh, sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet, does it?

Hope we get more info about the game at PAX today!
    :)
  • edited September 2010
    I was actually prepared for a long wait for Winter of 2010, when I realized; "Hey, it's September already! Whoo hoo!!"
  • edited September 2010
    What kind of sarcasm was that? It's not even close to effective ...

Well duh. Lolol ;)
  • edited September 2010
    ElWaster wrote: »
    well duh. Lolol ;)
    --:D
  • edited September 2010
    Can you say high res?

(woah I can't believe I've never posted here before. I was sure I had.)
  • edited September 2010
    The full TTG press release is here, if you'd like to read it unedited by game/news sites;

http://www.telltalegames.com/company/pressreleases/id-114
    Marty McFly and Doc Brown Reunite for New Back to the Future Games from Telltale Games

Films’ co-creator and writer Bob Gale consults on new platform for all-time great series

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. - September 1, 2010 - At 88 miles per hour, Back to the Future took millions of spellbound viewers on a high-flying voyage across the space-time continuum in a trio of wildly inventive tales that broke box-office records around the world. To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Academy Award®-winning cinematic franchise that generated nearly $1 billion worldwide, Telltale Games will release a new game series this winter as part of the milestone soon after the Blu-ray debut and DVD release of the Back to the Future 25th Anniversary Trilogy on October 26, featuring all-new restorations of the classic films.

Telltale today announced that the highly anticipated Back to the Future games will feature the likenesses of the original stars that made the characters of Marty McFly and Doc Brown legendary: Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd. Lloyd is voicing Doc Brown for the full game series, which Telltale will deliver in five monthly episodes. The first images showing the game depictions of Marty and Doc are now available at: www.backtothefuturegame.com. The game series is developed through a licensing agreement with Universal Partnerships & Licensing.

"Creating cinematic adventures true to the source is a top mission for Telltale," says Telltale CEO Dan Connors. "Securing Marty and Doc for the games, and presenting the experience that fans know and love, has been top on our list since we initiated development."

Co-creator and writer Bob Gale’s involvement further strengthens the links to the original series. Gale is consulting with Telltale on the characterizations and storyline for the game, ensuring it will be true to the spirit and adventure of the films.

Gale elaborates: "Twenty-five years ago when I wrote Doc Brown’s line about ‘seeing the future,’ little did I realize that I would be traveling with him to work on this game. Collaborating with Telltale is an amazing opportunity to continue the adventures of Doc and Marty."

Telltale is also pleased to announce that the games will feature the DeLorean Time Machine, and to celebrate the historic vehicle’s return, it will make a guest appearance at the 2010 Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle Washington September 3 through 5. Fans attending this increasingly popular gaming and culture event can re-create the iconic pose from the movie posters and capture their photos with this authentic replica of the famous vehicle in the Convention Center’s South Hall.
  • edited September 2010
    Interesting! But when I click on the link it takes me to NBC-Uni page, which remains the same as when they announced it.
  • edited September 2010
    The Art style fits BttF quite well and it looks awesome!! Can't wait to see how it will look in 3D... Here's hoping it looks as great as the concept.. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.