First concept art / character models (plus some voice actor confirmation)

edited September 2010 in Back to the Future
This was posted on another forum I belong to.

BTTFgame0831x-large.jpg

I have no idea as to its authenticity.

Eeeeee!

Comments

• edited August 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    This was posted on another forum I belong to.

BTTFgame0831x-large.jpg

I have no idea as to its authenticity.

Eeeeee!

GREAT SCOTT!!! Looks like some artwork! Or it maybe fanmade...hmmm...
  • edited August 2010
    Woah
    It does look Ryan Jones-y...
  • edited August 2010
    I've asked the poster to provide a source. No reply yet.

http://boards.theforce.net/your_jedi_council_community/b10008/30980968/r31222559/

(and yes, I'm torn as a TTG moderator whether I should have posted this, but if it's real and in the wild, someone else would have, so...)

Update: Source...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2010/08/telltale-games-times-back-to-the-future-project/1?csp=34
  • edited August 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    I've asked the poster to provide a source. No reply yet.

http://boards.theforce.net/your_jedi_council_community/b10008/30980968/r31222559/

(and yes, I'm torn as a TTG moderator whether I should have posted this, but if it's real and in the wild, someone else would have, so...)

Update: Source...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2010/08/telltale-games-times-back-to-the-future-project/1?csp=34

Honestly I would have been torn too, but in a few hours someone else would have posted it.
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah, it's not like USA Today is some niche site...

Also:

Lloyd will also provide his voice for the games.

Bob Gale, who wrote the screenplays for the three films, is working with the game developers on the plot for the planned five "episodes".

As for the storyline, Telltale would confirm that the games would include an appearance of the DeLorean time machine and, the fictional California setting of Hill Valley. The time periods covered will include 1985 and additional characters from the movies will crop up in the game.

That sort of implies Fox will not be voicing, though maybe negotiations are ongoing.
  • edited August 2010
    Or, that all they know is Christopher Lloyd is voicing Doc, I'm pretty sure Fox will voice marty if he feels he can do it, because as much as our fandom means to us, fox's health means much more.
  • edited August 2010
    Oh, absolutely.
  • edited August 2010
    Icedhope wrote: »
    Honestly I would have been torn too, but in a few hours someone else would have posted it.

Yep. Whatever makes you sleep at night.

jk, glad we're able to see and dig Ryan's latest work. I wonder why they didn't want it to be seen by us, though.
  • edited August 2010
    I assume they're intending to reveal it at PAX tomorrow, and USA Today's website jumped the gun.
  • edited August 2010
    ABOUT TIME!!!!
    :D

And YES to Christopher Lloyd returning! I kinda guessed MJF wouldn't be back given his health and everything...

Now the question is did Tom Wilson return as Biff?
    ;)

:guybrush:

EDIT: Speaking of which, has anybody checked out Tom Wilson's youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/TomWilsonUSA. He's got some seriously funny material on there. In particular, the question song, Haiku Songs, The Daughter Song and Kneepads.
  • edited August 2010
    Now I'm really curious... Let's pray to Yog-Soggoth for a trailer and releasedate tomorrow!
  • edited August 2010
    Oh god, this is awesome. I don't think Telltale wanted this information to leak already, but man. I'm glad that they didn't go for a completely photorealistic style.

I hope they'll have some sort of trailer/gameplay videos/screenshots at PAX. Can't wait to see how it looks ingame!

I'm so, so ready for this game.
  • edited August 2010
    Junaid wrote: »
    Now I'm really curious... Let's pray to Yog-Soggoth for a trailer and releasedate tomorrow!

BTTF is awesome! BTTF is sweet!
    I'll love Telltale more if they find more stuff to tweet!
  • edited August 2010
    BTTFgame0831x-wide-community.jpg guybrush.jpg

Yeah, that looks like Ryan Jones' stuff, with the coloring and the angular-ness. I am so glad that they go with this direction instead of going fully realistic. Though I am concerned on how it'll translate to 3D, because it's not always a flawless translation.

Also, the screenwriter is on board, and that's quite reassuring.

Oh, and don't hate me for this, but I don't mind if Michael J. Fox ended up not voicing in the game. I mean, sure, I'd prefer him in it, but as long as we got ol' Drew Blanc, I'm buying!
  • edited August 2010
    I'm happy to have Fox if he's willing and can still sound like a teenage Marty McFly. If his voice just can't do that anymore (or can't be digitally corrected to sound that way) then I'd rather someone else do it.

Though I do love the idea of a MJF guest spot if there's ever an old version of Marty to be voiced.
  • edited August 2010
    Niiiice. If this is legit, it should sway the nay-sayers concerned regarding the style of the series, certainly not too cartoony that they're not instantly recognisable characters.

Can't wait to see more renders - particularly of Biff (and what period 'Biff' will be the main protagonist - I've always loved Griff!).
  • joeldeejoeldee Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2010
    Yes, it's legit and it is Ryan Jones art :)

Telltale arranged with USA Today to have them break the news!

- Joel
  • edited August 2010
    Yay.

:winslow: :guybrush: :winslow: :guybrush: :winslow: :guybrush: :winslow: :guybrush: :winslow:
  • edited September 2010
    I'm thinking an Embargo got brokeded...with this.
  • edited September 2010
    It looks great. You've nailed the essence of both characters, and the style seems just right. Please show more soon!
  • edited September 2010
    That's awesome!
  • edited September 2010
    This looks great. I'm really excited for this! Telltale nails every series they adapt.
  • edited September 2010
    I love how Marty's pants sparkle. It's just very cool.
  • edited September 2010
    Icedhope wrote: »
    GREAT SCOTT!!! Looks like some artwork! Or it maybe fanmade...hmmm...

wow.. it seems so.. cool.. going back to the future? hmmmm anyway, the pic looks good...
  • edited September 2010
    I knew Chris Lloyd will join ... *Tries to hide excitement*

And it's not really bad that Michael can't join;
    I as the Reminder of the Forgotten remind you that
    Richard Steven Horvitz,
    voice of Raz from Psychonauts and Invader Zim from ... Invader Zim totally fits Marty.
    I hope TellTale can get him...
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2010
    ...lllllike it! (careful comment) ;)

Higher res version would be appreciated, though.

The faces need just a little more asymetry with a focus on the placement of Doc's eyebrows. And save the harder edges when getting these into the game, please! Getting Doc's likeness is of course far easier than Marty's, so I naturally have more respect for the really great Marty drawing while still feeling a little uneasy with Doc's portrayal.

Of course, one big Yeeeehaaaaah for Christopher Lloyd to participate. Of course, I'm still hoping for MJF, LT, TFW, CG and JT... :D
  • edited September 2010
    I dig it. I'm really happy with that style too. I didn't think a super realistic style would work given the resources and time TTG has (no offense intended), but I also didn't want something really cartoony. This is a really nice happy-medium.

I also love that they seem to be going with the BttF 1 iterations of Marty and Doc. Can't wait to see some DeLorean concept art. Hopefully TTG will have some more thing to reveal at PAX.
  • edited September 2010
    Great!!! I love the Comic Look from the Artwork. :-)
  • edited September 2010
    That is so awesome!!! I can't believe we are having our first piece of concept art revealed already!

(Goes back in time to tell everybody)

Also, I guess that Zemeckis and Spielberg will visit TellTale at some time to discuss some stuff and even suggest some puzzles!

Oh, and with the excitment, Alan Silvestri will work for free! :p
  • edited September 2010
    Its damn amazing if they voice their characters, but it must be equally amazaing for Telltale to work with these actors. they are so lucky.

The art there looks perfect, pretty much as i would have pictured it.
  • edited September 2010
    cool, hope we find out more info at PAX! The doc kinda looks frankinsteinish or like a zombi
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah and also he looks a bit like a sane person instead of a mad one ... I hope they fix that in the game ...
  • edited September 2010
    Milkman08 wrote: »
    Yeah and also he looks a bit like a sane person instead of a mad one ... I hope they fix that in the game ...

Looks to me like he has that mad scientist look in his eyes. And Marty has the grin of a teenager that thinks he can do anything.

I like the art style a lot and the look of the characters.
  • edited September 2010
    Ya, Doc does look a little.... dark.
  • edited September 2010
    Falzo wrote: »
    Looks to me like he has that mad scientist look in his eyes. And Marty has the grin of a teenager that thinks he can do anything.

I like the art style a lot and the look of the characters.

Don't get me wrong I think it's brilliant, Just Doc doesn't look quite like ... himself you know ...
  • edited September 2010
    I'm happy as long as the NPC art design is up to this level too. That was my one complaint with ToMI.
  • edited September 2010
    I'd be fine with Telltale reusing character models in BTTF. Given that ancestors in the movies are often played by the same actors. :D
  • edited September 2010
    I really like the art style! Great news all around, can't wait to see what they have at PAX. I know I will be getting chapter 1 on release day!
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2010
    Have I ever mentioned that Ryan Jones is a rather awesome dude?

It will be interesting to see these guys in 3D, because I frequently like the concept art more than the in-game character models.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.