mario and sonic? :confused:

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Okay, here's some insight on why a pure adventure game wouldn't work for either series.

Let's take one important element of Mario, his jumping. While this could work for RPGs, it would not be something to be put in an adventure game, at least not if you don't want to make it look very obligatory.

In Super Mario RPG jumping was somewhat optional in that you could make a pre-emptive strike against your opponent. I don't know if that was also the case in Paper Mario, but in Super Paper Mario platforming was an important thing.

Sonic's important thing is his speed. The reason Sonic Chronicles probably failed? Lack of speed. Sonic is all about speed.

So yeah. Adventure games would not work on either character.
  • edited October 2010
    uhhh there is a game and its for DS and Wii and its called sonic and mario at the Olympics games 1 and 2 ??
    they can add Sonic but needs 100% approval from sega ... but Mario ... it will be tough one because its Nintendo ..
  • edited October 2010
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    Okay, here's some insight on why a pure adventure game wouldn't work for either series.

Let's take one important element of Mario, his jumping. While this could work for RPGs, it would not be something to be put in an adventure game, at least not if you don't want to make it look very obligatory.

In Super Mario RPG jumping was somewhat optional in that you could make a pre-emptive strike against your opponent. I don't know if that was also the case in Paper Mario, but in Super Paper Mario platforming was an important thing.

Honestly though, with the way Tales of Monkey Island was controlled on the Wii, for instance (direct control with nunchuck analog stick, point and click with remote pointer), adding a jump button wouldn't be a huge stretch. Jumping and platforming wouldn't have to be a huge thing, it could just be an extra bit of interaction as you explore the game world.

I do agree with Darkmire that an adventure game set in the Mario universe would probably benefit from being a spin-off with the main playable character being someone other than Mario himself.

Also, Super Paper Mario was a platform game, and very different from the previous Paper Mario games. I strongly suggest that you (and everyone in the world) play the original Paper Mario at some point. And honestly, while the "main series" Mario games tend to have the same basic save-the-princess story, the stories in each of the Mario RPGs (including the Paper Mario games and the Mario & Luigi games) are all different, quirky, and interesting enough that they could have been written into adventure games rather than RPGs if the developers had chosen to go that route.
  • edited October 2010
    Why is this thread still going on? Surely, 3 pages are enough to explain why this is just a bad idea, plus we have a perfectly good thread about other characters we'd want at the Inventory.
  • edited October 2010
    Anyone who says Sonic doesn't have enough personality to be in an adventure game is wrong. Sonic is built on attitude, dude.
  • edited October 2010
    Anyone who says Sonic doesn't have enough personality to be in an adventure game is wrong. Sonic is built on attitude, dude.

wow, just wow. i'm not going to even try to argue about that because its gonna be impossible to convince people such as you.
  • edited October 2010
    GaryCXJk wrote: »

Sonic's important thing is his speed. The reason Sonic Chronicles probably failed? Lack of speed. Sonic is all about speed.

So yeah. Adventure games would not work on either character.
    Expect Poker Night at the Inventory is not an adventure game.
  • edited October 2010
    Clord wrote: »
    Expect Poker Night at the Inventory is not an adventure game.

ur right, its a comedic card game, and do u really think either sonic or mario have a good enough personality to be in it?
  • edited October 2010
    The Heavy has the personality of a doorstop. He is a character made for FPS's, yet the humor in his stupidity and doorstopishness is what makes him popular and got him into this game. Now you are trying to say that Sonic....has less personality...than the HEAVY?

Oh, and I'd like to know what you mean by "people such as you". What does that strawman phrase even mean? Did you even have a meaning? What is that? Oooh I'm suddenly in this unexplained category. This category with no meaning or context has rendered me so wrong. I'm rendered incapable of an intelligent opinion because I'm suddenly in the category of "people such as me".
  • edited October 2010
    koiboi59 wrote: »
    ur right, its a comedic card game, and do u really think either sonic or mario have a good enough personality to be in it?

I think that both of those characters would not fit in.
  • edited October 2010
    Followup:
    in all, telltale couldn't make it because mario and sonic are just not the kind of characters for comedy games.

I just went back to read some of your earlier posts on this and I saw this. Okay Sonic hasn't been in any comedic games but Mario? Not suited for comedy? WHAT? WHAT? REALLY?

Have you never played any of the Mario RPGs? You don't even know what you're talking about and this proves it. I have to point out the fact that comedy exists frequently in Mario games. Very funny comedy. Play Paper Mario 2. Play Luigi's Mansion. Play the Mario and Luigi series. For crying out loud Mario has been put into stories with tons of dialogue and comedy and it's worked. Sure Mario himself hasn't talked; he's voiceless like Link or Gordon; but his facial expressions and mannerisms do all the talking for him. He is the perfect straight man for ONE; but he is also good at being not only the butt of the joke but the victim of slapstick and comedic harm to his own person. It is not as impossible as you make out; in fact it's been done.

And in case you ignore all of that I'll say this on the subject of Mario having next to no dialogue: I GUESS AS FAR AS YOU'RE CONCERNED, MUTE PEOPLE CAN'T HAVE PERSONALITIES TOO.
  • edited October 2010
    Followup:

I just went back to read some of your earlier posts on this and I saw this. Okay Sonic hasn't been in any comedic games but Mario? Not suited for comedy? WHAT? WHAT? REALLY?

Have you never played any of the Mario RPGs? You don't even know what you're talking about and this proves it. I have to point out the fact that comedy exists frequently in Mario games. Very funny comedy. Play Paper Mario 2. Play Luigi's Mansion. Play the Mario and Luigi series. For crying out loud Mario has been put into stories with tons of dialogue and comedy and it's worked. Sure Mario himself hasn't talked; he's voiceless like Link or Gordon; but his facial expressions and mannerisms do all the talking for him. He is the perfect straight man for ONE; but he is also good at being not only the butt of the joke but the victim of slapstick and comedic harm to his own person. It is not as impossible as you make out; in fact it's been done.

And in case you ignore all of that I'll say this on the subject of Mario having next to no dialogue: I GUESS AS FAR AS YOU'RE CONCERNED, MUTE PEOPLE CAN'T HAVE PERSONALITIES TOO.

mario is very simple comedy if any. sure there were facial expressions here and there but it wasn't really funny. compared to the likes of sam and max, penny arcade, and homestar runner, its really just boring and it wouldn't fit very well.
  • edited October 2010
    I think that Telltale could pull off Mario and Sonic really well in a game like this. It'll never happen, though. It would have to be a full-priced retail game with a huge chunk of the profits going to Nintendo and Sega.

At the very least, they would fit much better than Penny Arcade.
  • edited October 2010
    A Telltale-made Mario adventure game... Sorry, I just can't see Mario using ITEM A with ITEM B to get ITEM C. Which is why it would have to star someone else. Someone better suited to adventure game logic.
    250px-WaluigiMP8a.PNG

Telltale. Pitch this to Nintendo. Now.
  • edited October 2010
    mario is very simple comedy if any. sure there were facial expressions here and there but it wasn't really funny. compared to the likes of sam and max, penny arcade, and homestar runner, its really just boring and it wouldn't fit very well.

That's a matter of opinion. Sam and Max, Wallace and Gromit, and Back to the Future all have very different styles of humor, but Telltale clearly saw the potential in each of them. If Telltale were to see the potential in Mario or Sonic, they could make it work.

I don't expect or even necessarily want Telltale to make games from these licenses, but it's absolutely ridiculous to claim that a Telltale Mario or Sonic game would be impossible.
  • edited October 2010
    In MarioRPG Jumping was OPTIONAL?!!?

take a look at this walkthrough section and tell me how you could progress without hitting the jump button:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKdLjqTystU

The first 20 feet of the volcano is CONSTANT jumping!
  • edited October 2010
    doggans wrote: »
    That's a matter of opinion. Sam and Max, Wallace and Gromit, and Back to the Future all have very different styles of humor, but Telltale clearly saw the potential in each of them. If Telltale were to see the potential in Mario or Sonic, they could make it work.

I don't expect or even necessarily want Telltale to make games from these licenses, but it's absolutely ridiculous to claim that a Telltale Mario or Sonic game would be impossible.

its not impossible, it would just be one of the worst they did (which would probably not be that bad) but i can't see sonic and mario and a comedy adventure or a poker game.
  • edited October 2010
    lombre wrote: »
    A Telltale-made Mario adventure game... Sorry, I just can't see Mario using ITEM A with ITEM B to get ITEM C. Which is why it would have to star someone else. Someone better suited to adventure game logic.
    250px-WaluigiMP8a.PNG

Telltale. Pitch this to Nintendo. Now.

Yes plz.
  • edited October 2010
    I have never played any Sonic game (besides the M&S at the Olympic Games), but I've played almost all Mario games, including the RPG's (Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, etc...), and I think a Mario adventure game could work quite well. Like someone else said above me, I'm not saying I want Nintendo and/or Telltale to make a Mario (or Sonic) adventure game, but I don't see the reason for many of you saying it will be a bad game and rule it out right off the bat.
    I GUESS AS FAR AS YOU'RE CONCERNED, MUTE PEOPLE CAN'T HAVE PERSONALITIES TOO.
    I agree. So, for them, many interesting characters have no personality. Starting with Telltale's games, Gromit, the Poopsmith, Pom Pom. Going to other media, Mr. Bean (the series, not the awful movies), Charlot, Harpo Marx...
  • edited October 2010
    I agree. So, for them, many interesting characters have no personality. Starting with Telltale's games, Gromit, the Poopsmith, Pom Pom. Going to other media, Mr. Bean (the series, not the awful movies), Charlot, Harpo Marx...

POM POM IS NOT MUTE! he speaks in bubbles which is different. and i just don't see good comedy in a mario/sonic game. its fun, gameplay wise but it is really just little kid comedy, nothing to hilarious in there.
  • edited October 2010
    POM POM IS NOT MUTE! he speaks in bubbles which is different.

If that counts as talking, then what Mario does also counts.
    and i just don't see good comedy in a mario/sonic game. its fun, gameplay wise but it is really just little kid comedy, nothing to hilarious in there.

Again, that's a matter of opinion. And even if it were true, who says every adventure game has to be hilarious?
  • edited October 2010
    If that counts as talking, then what Mario does also counts.

Again, that's a matter of opinion. And even if it were true, who says every adventure game has to be hilarious?

1. touche.
    2. umm if its a telltale game then like YEA! do u see a single unfunny game on this site? even puzzle agent with its dark demeanor has a good deal of humor to it.
  • edited October 2010
    2. umm if its a telltale game then like YEA! do u see a single unfunny game on this site? even puzzle agent with its dark demeanor has a good deal of humor to it.

CSI dude.
  • edited October 2010
    POM POM IS NOT MUTE! he speaks in bubbles which is different. and i just don't see good comedy in a mario/sonic game. its fun, gameplay wise but it is really just little kid comedy, nothing to hilarious in there.

"Little kid" comedy can be hilarious too. Not all children are mindless morons; some children's cartoons are written very intelligently. Take Animaniacs for example. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga had a lot of hilarious, intelligent, well-written humor. There was some crass humor in the game but that was few and far between. I mean really; play it any way you can. It is hilarious. Or watch it on Youtube.
  • edited October 2010
    "Little kid" comedy can be hilarious too.

I present to you the funniest cartoon ever in my opinion Count Duckula - Whodunnit Part 1 and Part 2
  • edited October 2010
    That was fantastic but now I'm left wondering if Tales of MI stole the defendant is his own defense attorney joke.
  • edited October 2010
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    CSI dude.

well when ur killing stuff its different, u don't see mario with a sniper assassinating bowser do you?

to the others: little kid funny is mediocre at best, at least now a days, i mean have you seen some of these cartoons on the teli? mindless parodies of much popular things get old after 500 episodes. and even the shows you guys are talking about i find boring, i mean if they were so good why are they gone? most were just plain boring and i didn't like them. i honestly don't find mario a good tv series, i find the animaniacs somewhat funny although not enough to make me chuckle, and count duckula is the same as animaniacs.
  • edited October 2010
    Instead of going down the road of bashing characters' personalities or giving simple boring answers of "no", here's my answer...

Look at the characters they chose. All four either are internet-related (web-cartoon, web-comic, etc), are mainly a PC game series, or independent media. The franchises also all deal with comedy as the main part.

So if we wanted to ask for other characters, it would be better asking for Ben and Dan (Ben There, Dan That!, a comedy indy game), Axe Cop (a webcomic), or something similar.
  • edited October 2010
    well when ur killing stuff its different, u don't see mario with a sniper assassinating bowser do you?

You kill things in CSI? News to me.

Either way, it's proof that Telltale feels no need to confine itself to any one style. If they want to make a game that's not funny, it's their own right.
    to the others: little kid funny is mediocre at best, at least now a days

Again, this is your opinion, but you continue to pass it off as fact. What is it that makes the Mario games more "kid humor" than, say, Wallace and Gromit?

(And once again, I have no stake in this and don't necessarily want a Mario adventure game, but I'm enjoying the debate and I still don't understand why so many minds are so closed to the idea.)
  • edited October 2010
    (And once again, I have no stake in this and don't necessarily want a Mario adventure game, but I'm enjoying the debate and I still don't understand why so many minds are so closed to the idea.)

Yeah, I'm infinitly more opposed to a Sonic adventure game than a Mario one, but still wouldn't really want a Mario game either, though I would probably still end up buying it as long as it's set in the RPG/Paper series.
  • edited October 2010
    That was fantastic but now I'm left wondering if Tales of MI stole the defendant is his own defense attorney joke.

That joke was actually originally stolen/borrowed/payed homage to an old Woody Allen movie I think
  • edited October 2010
    You kill things in CSI? News to me.

Either way, it's proof that Telltale feels no need to confine itself to any one style. If they want to make a game that's not funny, it's their own right.

Again, this is your opinion, but you continue to pass it off as fact. What is it that makes the Mario games more "kid humor" than, say, Wallace and Gromit?

typo, i meant when ITS killing things, amd theres a few little humorous remarks here and there. mario is more about unexplained and annoying situation such as say: lugi loses one of his ovenmits in bowsers castle or something similarly ridiculous. th eonly thing i find funny is how the plot is suspicously similar to the rest of the games. its always "save the princess and defeat bowser and his goons" as mario goes out and squishes all the bad guys. it gets old, FAST.
  • edited October 2010
    typo, i meant when ITS killing things, amd theres a few little humorous remarks here and there. mario is more about unexplained and annoying situation such as say: lugi loses one of his ovenmits in bowsers castle or something similarly ridiculous. th eonly thing i find funny is how the plot is suspicously similar to the rest of the games. its always "save the princess and defeat bowser and his goons" as mario goes out and squishes all the bad guys. it gets old, FAST.
    Just because it's not your type of humor doesn't mean it's not funny. I think the Mario games, especially the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games, are hilarious, and would work great for a point-n-click adventure. If one was released, you can bet that I'd buy it.

Especially if Waluigi starred in it. C'mon, that would just be awesome.
  • edited October 2010

Luigi loses one of his oven mitts in Bowser's Castle? Really? I forgot which game THAT happened in. And yes, the PLATFORMERS are just "rescue the princess". That's all they need. But the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi series have much more complex plots than that; the first Paper Mario is the only one that really involves rescuing the princess and even then that isn't all there is to it. The first Mario and Luigi game basically makes fun of the "rescuing the princess" plot and even parodies it.

Seriously go watch some videos of these games on Youtube, get some real facts on what you're discussing, or quit acting like you know. And quit ignoring people who do know what they're talking about. Oh, and watch some episodes of The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog to see how a Sonic story could work in an adventure game.
  • edited October 2010
    JedExodus wrote: »
    That joke was actually originally stolen/borrowed/payed homage to an old Woody Allen movie I think

Yes, it was "Bananas", a film which in turn was an homage to the Marx Brothers' "Duck Soup". And the crazy ol' chain of inspiration just keeps going!
  • edited October 2010
    Yes, it was "Bananas", a film which in turn was an homage to the Marx Brothers' "Duck Soup". And the crazy ol' chain of inspiration just keeps going!

You sir are something of a comedy scholar
  • edited October 2010
    Breakman wrote: »
    So if we wanted to ask for other characters, it would be better asking for Ben and Dan (Ben There, Dan That!, a comedy indy game), Axe Cop (a webcomic), or something similar.

Just to say that the inclusion of Ben and Dan in practically any game would automatically make said game the most awesome thing ever. That is all.
  • edited October 2010
    to heck with Mario and Sonic, WE IS TALKING BOUT MAX, STRONG BAD, AND HEAVY!!!!!!
  • edited October 2010
    Trogdorman wrote: »
    to heck with Mario and Sonic, WE IS TALKING BOUT MAX, STRONG BAD, AND HEAVY!!!!!!

and tycho.
  • edited October 2010
    ..tycho I don't really know that much
Sign in to comment in this discussion.