PS: sorry i have to shout with caps :(

Comments

• edited September 2010
    No.
  • edited September 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    No.

^This.

But, if you want the full explanation, Mario and Sonic would make an AWFUL adventure game, for too many reasons to count. Here's some:

Mario doesn't talk.
    Nintendo would never license their characters out to a company like Telltale(no offence, TTG).
    The game would alienate all of M&S's younger players/preteen Sonic players.
    Telltale couldn't release this game to anything but Wii/DS.
    A Sonic adventure game(not the Sonic Adventure game) would be just plain awful, mostly because of the current Sonic's voice and "tude".
    TTG would be forced to add platforming elements into the game.
    Both series do not have good enough plots for adventure games.

Also, shouldn't this be moved into General Chat?
  • edited September 2010
    But, if you want the full explanation, Mario and Sonic would make an AWFUL adventure game, for too many reasons to count.

I don't think the question was about a Mario or Sonic adventure game, but rather about Mario or Sonic appearing in Poker Night, amidst the other crossover characters.

That said, I actually think a Mario adventure COULD work...after all, there have been several pretty successful Mario RPGs...
  • edited September 2010
    doggans wrote: »
    I don't think the question was about a Mario or Sonic adventure game, but rather about Mario or Sonic appearing in Poker Night, amidst the other crossover characters.

That said, I actually think a Mario adventure COULD work...after all, there have been several pretty successful Mario RPGs...

But, Mario has never talked in the games.
  • edited September 2010
    There have been a handful of very great adventure games, in various subgenres, which feature silent protagonists. And really it's only been the various Mario RPG games which strictly follow the "Mario doesn't talk" trope. Mario said several full sentences in both Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine, although I shudder to think of how annoying it'd be to hear him talking constantly in that voice though a full Telltale-style adventure.

In short, I think a Mario-based point-and-click game could work, in theory, but I also think that this is the worst thread ever
  • edited September 2010

Nonsense.
  • edited September 2010
    But, Mario's lines in the games had no importance whatsoever except for reminding us that he's Italian.

Fixed.
  • edited September 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Nonsense.

I meant apart from a small sound clip now and then.
    Fixed.

True.
  • edited September 2010
    pepsiboy3 wrote: »
    dear TELLTALE GAMES!!!

WHAT ABOUT MARIO AND SONIC :mad: BEACUSE THEY AWSOME

PS: sorry i have to shout with caps :(
    Mario doesn't have enough personality. Sonic I'm not as familiar with, but I don't think he does either.
  • edited September 2010
    No.
    ^^^
  • edited September 2010
    A Sonic adventure game(not the Sonic Adventure game) would be just plain awful, mostly because of the current Sonic's voice and "tude".
    TTG would be forced to add platforming elements into the game.
    Both series do not have good enough plots for adventure games.

I dissagree on the plot point. ESPECIALLY StH if you follow the older Cannon (SatAM/pre-50 Archie Commics) plenty of plot that could be explored and no need for platformer elements. Tho I think the main char would have to be Sally or Tails... I do agree Sonic's attatude doesnt really fit the role of main char in this kinda game.

Likewise I think a Mario PnC adventure woudl be possible from a plot perspective, after all, look at the Mario RPG and Paper Mario series'

Moot point tho, your right on all the other points.

Other than Licensing issues and such, I really don't see why it would be a problem from the plot perspective...

but why stop there, lets throw in Dante (Devil may Cry) and Samus (Metroid) and Link (legend of Zelda) hell while we're at it, lets put Ratchet and Clank in there along with Chrono (ChronoTrigger) and maybe even Master Chef (Halo) and Spyro the dragon! (anyone else see how this is geting sillier and sillier?)

I see this as a point FOR having him in a poker game, makes him all the better player ;) lol
  • edited September 2010
    Ashton wrote: »
    and maybe even Master Chef (Halo)

I think that Master Chief could be a very good poker player. For one thing, he has an excellent poker face. At least, as long as he keeps his helmet on...
  • edited September 2010
    Ashton wrote: »
    Master Chef

I'd play a game with that character. :)
  • edited September 2010
    Hmm... perhaps Telltale could turn "The Super Mario Bros Super Show" into an adventure game?

[Tumbleweed slowly passes]

So, that's a "no", then?
  • edited September 2010
    I vote no.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm going to have to stick with a 'no' in this case. Certain characters just aren't meant for the adventure gaming world. Mario and Sonic are perfect examples of such a thing.
  • edited September 2010
    Ashton wrote:
    Master Chef
    Guinea wrote: »
    I'd play a game with that character. :)

Er.. yeah.. um...

Haven't you all heard about the new game from Bungie "Halo's Kitchen"? (ROTFLOL!)
  • edited September 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    I'm going to have to stick with a 'no' in this case. Certain characters just aren't meant for the adventure gaming world. Mario and Sonic are perfect examples of such a thing.
    Expect this is not an adventure game.
  • edited September 2010
    it is said in an ancient prophecy that if mario and sonic appear in any ttg game, the world would end from just glimpsing the title screen. seriously, its a bad idea.
  • edited September 2010
    Clord wrote: »
    Expect this is not an adventure game.

I'm not sure why, but I thought this was in general chat. :confused: I've been wondering why I haven't been able to find this thread again until now. I shall hereby change my response to:

Nah. Mario and Sonic aren't suited to Poker. Strong Bad likes to be badass, Max is psychotic, and I don't know much about Tycho and the Heavy, but from what I seen and heard they wouldn't look out of place at a poker table.

Mario and Sonic, however, I just don't see. I could just about imagine it better if Wario and Dr.Eggman had been suggested, but even then I would say no, quite simply because I'm not fans of them.:p
  • edited September 2010
    Sure, why not. Mario's pretty good at Gold Fish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBFPtuwP4n4
  • edited September 2010
    Thing is... While most Nintendo characters are aimed for kids and up (yeah nothing weird if adult plays Mario series too), it is quite clear why those characters would not get licensed for games what kids can't buy.
  • edited September 2010
    Clord wrote: »
    Thing is... While most Nintendo characters are aimed for kids and up (yeah nothing weird if adult plays Mario series too), it is quite clear why those characters would not get licensed for games what kids can't buy.

It's not unprecedented, though. Remember how Conker started out as one of the cute innocent characters in "Diddy Kong Racing"?
  • edited September 2010
    It's not unprecedented, though. Remember how Conker started out as one of the cute innocent characters in "Diddy Kong Racing"?

Conker tho was owned by Rare/rareware, who do put out more mature games, they just used Nintendo's hardware, which has had many M-rated games (notably MortalKombat or the less-known but far worse Shadowman)
  • edited September 2010
    guys just leave him alone, hes a newbie to the forum, and likely doesn't understand copyright.
  • edited September 2010
    Hmm, quickly browsed this thread. Hell no to Mario and Sonic. And F#$k no to Masterchief. That guy has no personality at all. Diddy Kong would also be a crap addition to the game.

Gimme Conker instead. He could keep up with the rest of these Poker Night bad boys.
  • edited September 2010
    snip3rfire wrote: »
    Gimme Conker instead. He could keep up with the rest of these Poker Night bad boys.

He would make an amusing addition to the game... especially if they gave him booze ;) lol!
  • edited September 2010
    I vote no, on the grounds that what I'm about to say is very biased and controversial: Sonic is a has-been.
  • edited October 2010

But, if you want the full explanation, Mario and Sonic would make an AWFUL adventure game, for too many reasons to count. Here's some:

1. Mario doesn't talk.
    2. Nintendo would never license their characters out to a company like Telltale(no offence, TTG).
    3. The game would alienate all of M&S's younger players/preteen Sonic players.
    4. Telltale couldn't release this game to anything but Wii/DS.
    5. A Sonic adventure game(not the Sonic Adventure game) would be just plain awful, mostly because of the current Sonic's voice and "tude".
    6.TTG would be forced to add platforming elements into the game.
    7.Both series do not have good enough plots for adventure games.

1. Is a lie he talk yes on today games.
    2. Is mild offence in my opinion becouse it may could be possible.
    3. Are you sure?
    4. So why they realese SBCG4AP for Wii Ware and Sam and Max for Wii?
    5. ???
    6. Mario and Sonic don't have any platforming elements into thier Sports Games!
    7. Is a lie.

See Guy in a Box could understanrd this!
  • edited October 2010
    Lucoshi wrote: »
    3. Are you sure?
    5. ???
    7. Is a lie.

1. aside from "letsa go!" and "WAAAAAA" when he dies, he doesn't talk. or at least say anything important to the plot.
    2. no, they are to big of franchises, nintendo wouldn't sell the copyright to small comapnies.
    3. telltale makes more comedic games with more jokes and words not nescesarily for kiddies.
    4. can u not read? he said wii in that sentence too.
    5. sonic doesn't have much dialog and his persanality is sort of, unentertaining.
    6. but telltale doesn't make sporty games either. its point and click adventure, and the ocasional card game, mario and sonic won't fit into either of those.
    7. no its not, mario and sonic have loose plots that are very boring, predictable, and not very funny.

in all, telltale couldn't make it because mario and sonic are just not the kind of characters for comedy games.
  • edited October 2010
    Lucoshi wrote: »
    3. Are you sure?
    5. ???
    7. Is a lie.

My replies:

But, Mario's lines in the games had no importance whatsoever except for reminding us that he's Italian.
    (edit by Falanca)
    2. No, they would not. Especially for a Telltale game.
    3. Yes.
    4. What I meant was that TTG currently can release their games for every current platform, but if they make a game with Nintendo, they could only make a game for Wii and 3/DS/i.
    5.Are you seriously trying to defend the current Sonic's personality?
    6.Sports elements would be less likely to be added in to an adventure game then platforming elements.
    7. Is not a lie. Mario's plots are always "Save the princess!" while Sonic's are always "Defeat Eggman!".

Guy in a Box does not post here anymore.

EDIT: Sorry Koiboi, didn't see your post.
  • edited October 2010
    Mario and Sonic belong to their own respected genres of gaming. That is all. Let's just not fanboy over the characters, okay? Today you ask for an adventure game with those characters, tomorrow you'll want an FPS...
  • edited October 2010
    Here's a very serious and amusing idea...

Heavy is owned by Valve... clearly TTG is on good terms with them... might we see other Valve characters...

...like Gordon Freeman?

(or more jokingly, a headcrab?)
  • edited October 2010
    GLaDOS would be a good character to include.
  • edited October 2010
    6.Sports elements would be less likely to be added in to an adventure game then platforming elements.
    7. Is not a lie. Mario's plots are always "Save the princess!" while Sonic's are always "Defeat Eggman!".

6. The Mario RPGs had very few, if any, platform elements. This isn't necessarily a legitimate concern.
    7. Homestar Runner has NO plot, and yet Telltale was able to make some pretty good games out of that license.

Mario or Sonic adventures are quite unlikely, but far from impossible.

Of course, all this is moot in a thread about whether or not they'd make good poker players. :P
  • edited October 2010
    I think a TTG Mario adventure game could be cool and really expand the Mario universe... but I do not think its likely or even really necessary there are so many other properties out there to play in that do not already get a ton of attention.
  • edited October 2010
    6. The Mario RPGs had very few, if any, platform elements. This isn't necessarily a legitimate concern.

Acctually there were a LOT of platform *elements* in MarioRPG, involving jumping mainly... the only way to get to certain areas was to jump-jump-jump and there were item-blocks and beanstalks, and other elements too, they just were more watered-down than in the classic games
  • edited October 2010
    I'm positive that Nintendo could come up with a fun point and click game for Mario if they wanted to. Of course, it would be Nintendo's own version of a point and click game, but they're clever like that.

But if Telltale were ever to develop one based on the license, I could totally see them making an adventure game with Luigi as the main character going on his own adventure and having full voice. He would be a foil, similar to Guybrush, always being in Mario's shadow. I could see him talking to panicky Toads and doing his own thang. That actually sounds pretty cool to me. But who would the audience for such a game be? It'd have to be on Wii or DS/3DS. I don't know, but Telltale, you better get with the negotiations.
  • edited October 2010
    Me want mario and sonic
  • edited October 2010
    Me want mario and sonic

We no want Mario and Sonic.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.