Get Your Questions Answered By Back to the Future Co-Creator Bob Gale

Bob Gale, screenwriter and co-creator of the Back to the Future film series, is working with us on our game and we want our fans to tell us what to ask him!

What do you want to know about his work with us on the game? Or anything else? The sky's the limit, so get to thinking of questions.

Post your questions in this thread from now until Sunday, October 10 and we'll pick a bunch of them and send them Mr. Gale's way. We can't promise that everyone will get their questions answered, but anyone that gets theirs answered will receive credit in the blog I post with the answers.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I believe that Back to the Future IV movie was planned at one point. How tightly were you involved with the production and if you were are you going to use some of the material never realized in that project in this game?

Thanks for doing this Mr. Gale, it's great to have one of my favourite films back in the form of my favourite gaming genre. I still think Back to the future I & II are the greatest blockbuster screenplays ever written and I've seen A LOT of films (currently working as a writer/screenwriter myself).

Youso from Finland

P.S. Next time you speak with Mr. Zemeckis, can you please beg him to start to direct live action films again.
  • edited October 2010
    Where does the game/season sit in relation to the movie series? Is it related to the time-frame of the movies in any way or could it be considered a completely different adventure with an "alternate" Marty and Doc?
  • edited October 2010
    did you find easy or hard to choose the actors for back to future charaters and what made them stand out,
    p.s can i be a voice over in the back to the future game lol

cheers pete
  • edited October 2010
    What are are, according to you, the most important themes that a BTTF story needs? Besides to obvious stuff DeLorean, TimeTravel etc
  • edited October 2010
    Where did the idea come from? And how did you decide to pick the actors who came along-esp. Christopher Lloyd and Michael J. Fox. They look so amazingly young!
  • edited October 2010
    How did you feel about making 2 & 3 at the same and having them tie together (almost excessively in 2) as often as they did? If you could, would you try and pace the two apart to allow them to be two separate things?

Also, who's decision was it to have Marty wear his iconic vest?
  • edited October 2010
    Ok, first off, Back to the Future is the single GREATEST movie trilogy of all time. I just watched them all this past weekend and I can't think of a single other trilogy that's this consistently good with each film.

However, one part in BTTF Part II got me and a few others talking. I think I understood it, but an official answer would be cool.
    When Old Biff goes back to 1955 and changes the future to make himself a success, why does he return to the normal 2015 with Marty and Doc and not the one that he created? I assume it's both because it takes a minute or so for the future to completely change around him, and so that Marty and Doc are not stuck in 2015 and have a way to escape and continue the story.

Great to see that you're involved with Telltale and this game, really REALLY can't wait to see what you guys come up with.
  • edited October 2010
    Hello Bob,

Were you part of the driving force to get Talltale games involved in a Back to the Future game?

I think it's an amazing collaboration.

Thank you :)
  • edited October 2010
    What's the hardest part about re-visiting characters you haven't written for in over 20 years?
  • edited October 2010
    First of all, thank you. BTTF has to be my favourite movie trilogy, and can literally be watched time and again without ever tiring of it. Out of the 953 (yes, I have a list, so sue me) movies I own, these three are by far the ones that get the most airtime. /gush

Ahem, on to my question: Will any of the original cast be voicing characters in-game? I can't really imagine BTTF without Doc Brown, Marty or Biff.
  • edited October 2010
    While we probably can't have any details now, has the less restricted world of video games allowed you to revisit parts of the original stories that you really wanted to include but were unable at the time because of either monetary or physical restrictions? Basically, were there things that you really wanted to do back with the movies that for one reason or another could not happen (ie: because of technological restrictions, etc) that you now are getting to weave into the video game? And if so, will you give us some of the details after the video game comes out? (I realize no one wants the story spoiled for us now.)
  • edited October 2010
    A simple question, but out of the trilogy which was your favorite movie?
  • edited October 2010
    Words cannot describe the love I have for BTTF series. It's a cultural phenomenon, and will always be remembered as one of my favorites! My only regret about the release of the game is that I'm missing out in it's production. I wish I was there!

When coming up with the Trilogy, was it planned as a series from the start, or was the "to be continued" thrown in at the last minute?

Vake Xeacons
  • edited October 2010
    Your in a convenience store. You want to but some junkfood. In the convenience store is a dolphin, a giraffe, and a hobbit. What type of junkfood do you by?

:D
  • edited October 2010
    These are the questions I had prepared last year to ask Bob Gale through another friend who was going to meet him at the George Lindsey UNA Film Festival (Alabama). So some of these questions may not be really relevant as the BTTF Game is coming out, but thought I will still post them if Bob is willing to answer them.

Bob, most fans agree that there should not be a BTTF4 film without MJF, so these are just hypothetical scenarios.

Question 1:
    During the mid 90s, there was rumours that you and Zemeckis were running ideas for BTTF4. Although no script written, did you both think in what direction the storyline would continue?

Question 2:

If things were different with MJF and studio was willing for a sequel. For the basic storyline of a new sequel, would it be a direct sequel tying to the events of the trilogy and to the timelines represented there or like a fresh start with new dates/timelines to deal with?

Question 3:
    If given the opportunity will you be interested in penning a sequel to BTTF in the form of an ongoing comic series or perhaps a stand alone graphic novel? If not, will you be okay if someone else is hired to do the same?

Question 4:
    Are you still planning to adapt your script "Jimbo's Stand" into a feature film? Any updates on that?

Question 5:
    Besides your recent comic works, are there other comics you would be happy to write? Any particular title or characters you have in mind?

Question 6:

Do you still catch up with reading comics and which are your current favourites?

Thanks
    Vivek
  • edited October 2010
    Soo.... please just answer this. I'm too overwhelmed to ask a question.
  • edited October 2010
    What were your influences both in comedy and drama when writing the series?
  • edited October 2010
    The game is going to be like ''animated drawings'' or like ''computer drawings''??? like,for example, Toy Story I mean
    And why don't you put again Back to the Future film in the SPAIN CINEMAS!!!!??? I WANT TO SEE IT!!!
  • edited October 2010
    Hi Mr Gale Would you ever make a back to the future 4 with a feamle as the lead i always thought it be cool to se emartys daughter have a time travel adventure of her own.
  • edited October 2010
    Well, I've been wanting to make an account for a while, and you've finally given me a good enough excuse to get around to it. My first post ever! :D

Anyway, I've got a handful of questions for Mr. Gale.

1. What was the idea behind having Michael J. Fox play Marlene McFly in BttF2?

2. How does writing for a video game compare to a movie?

3. Will any ideas you and Zemeckis thought of for the aborted BttF4 carry into this game?

4. In your opinion, should the DeLorean be allowed to travel to other areas (such as how the animated series went to ancient Rome, 1600s Salem, and the like) or must BttF stay in Hill Valley at all times? This doesn't necessarily mean if we'd be leaving Hill Valley in the game or not, but if you think such a thing would be acceptable (be it in this game or any other potential future installments).

5. 2015 probably won't look like it did in BttF2. (but we do have five more years to go!) Looking back, do you have any thoughts about the 2015 scene in general? If you could have one thing from BttF2 show up in the real 2015, what would it be? (Well, let's make that three things, since it's obvious the first two are an arcade version of Wild Gunman and the Cubs winning the World Series.)

6. Were you familiar with Telltale at all before being attached to this game? Have you become familiar with their other work since? Favorite Telltale game besides BttF?
  • edited October 2010
    Q1: How many of the original actors will be involved voicing their characters in the new game?

Q2: What's the basic storyline behind the new game?

Q3: How closely will the game follow the original trilogy's story?

Q4/Q5: If circumstances were different today (MJF's illness for example), would you want to make further sequels to the BttF franchise? Or possibly a reboot entirely?
  • edited October 2010
    What's your favourite scene from any of the Back to the Future films?
  • edited October 2010
    Say Doc Brown and the AVGN both came to Marty at the same time. Doc wants to take Marty back to the future, but AVGN, as he is wont to do, wants to take Marty back to the past. Would this create a wormhole, and if so, where would it lead and why?

Follow-up question: Being that this event would likely take place in the eighties, where would AVGN take Marty in the first place? Atari's still king, and Nintendo is just emerging as the big name in games. Is he going to take him back to the release of Space War to complain about the thrust physics?

... I got nothin'. Just wanted to ask a ridiculously nerdy question. :p
  • edited October 2010
    Will you ever direct another feature, or can we assume by the decade long abstinence that the distribution calamity of Interstate 60 (which I loved) did you in?
  • edited October 2010
    Telltale's games shine because of their driving force in the story. For instance, in Wallace and Gromit, it's about Gromit's relationship with Wallace through thick and thin. In Tales of Monkey Island, the story revolves around the marriage of Guybrush and Elaine Marley being tested, and is largely about fidelity and trust. What would you say is the main focus of this story?

Very excited to see this happening!
  • edited October 2010
    Which of the Back To The Future movies, if any, do you remember being the most difficult to write, and what made it so difficult?

What are some of your favorite time-travel stories besides Back To The Future?

Have you or Robert Zemeckis ever been tempted to give the Back To The Future movies the "George Lucas" treatment? AKA update the special effects, digitally insert more characters into the backgrounds, extend scenes and reinsert deleted scenes, etc. in the same manner George Lucas did for the Star Wars movies?

And the obvious question: if you had a working Delorean Time Machine, what time period would you most want to visit?

And a question I doubt will be considered: I'm sure you've seen the infamous video of Crispin Glover on Late Night With David Letterman. Was he like that on the set of BTTF?
  • edited October 2010
    I'm going to try and avoid waffling on like everyone else and just get straight to my question.

In the release of Back To The Future on Blu-ray we are apparently going to see some snippets of Eric Stoltz as the role of Marty.

Were any scenes re-used with Stoltz as Marty in the final cut? e.g. driving scenes, scenes without Marty or did you re-shoot the whole thing?

What snippets are we going to see on the blu-ray release?
  • edited October 2010
    Are planned any events or releases for next year 2015 which involve the Back to the Future universe?
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2010
    1.) The ending of BTTF III really wrapped up the series and seemed like an uncontestable ending to it. Now the Telltale team probably works very hard to continue the story from that point on in the same spirit. How do you feel about this? If you were to continue the story, where would you start? Or will we actually see your fingerprints all over the "transition" between movies and games?
  • edited October 2010
    Dear Mr Gale!

Q1
    This one was spotted by my sister when we was watching the 3rd episode like the 23th times.

There are actually two DeLoreans in the wild west Hill Valley setting: the one that Marty used to came back to save Doc, and the other one that was dug by Dr Brown in the mine to hide it for Marty in the future. They never mention this 'hidden' DeLorean while looking for fuel. Why? Did you just simply forget about it?

Q2
    Did you ever consider to merge Marty and Doc? Like: at the end it could have turned out that Marty _is_ Doctor Brown, only much younger... I know that the two guys personality differs too much for such a cliffhanger, but did you consider this idea at all?

Thanks.
  • edited October 2010
    1) Can you share with us what do you remember about Tattoo Assasins?
    2) What was your involvement on BTTF Data East Pinball?
    3) Is the Stolz footage going to be available on BluRay?

Regards and thanks for the magic:D
  • edited October 2010
    Hi Mr. Gale. Just a few questions if you have a moment.

1. How did you get into screenplay writing and what tips would you suggest for anyone who wants to get into writing for media like TV, Movies, Video Games, etc?

2. Have you be working on any projects not related to movies or video games in the last few years you'd like us to take a look at?

3. Did you think or believe that the original Back to the Future film would become as popular as it is? Enough to spur a card game as well as the development of a video game, fifteen years later?

4. What did you dislike about the three Back to the Future Films? Something you'd prefer to change now, or something that got changed during production that you wanted to keep.

5. How do you like working with the Telltale writers, directors, and producers on this project?

Thank you!
  • edited October 2010
    How many different time machine designs did you go through before settling on the delorean?
  • edited October 2010
    encse wrote: »
    Dear Mr Gale!

Q1
    This one was spotted by my sister when we was watching the 3rd episode like the 23th times.

There are actually two DeLoreans in the wild west Hill Valley setting: the one that Marty used to came back to save Doc, and the other one that was dug by Dr Brown in the mine to hide it for Marty in the future. They never mention this 'hidden' DeLorean while looking for fuel. Why? Did you just simply forget about it?

I wondered that as well until someone online pointed out that the 50s Doc in BTTF3 mentions that in the drive in area he's fixed up the tubes and filled up the car with gas (meaning something happened when the car was struck with lighting and the car sprung a leak).

My Question for Mr.Gale is why did you guys try to make it seem like Crispin Glover (George McFly) was still in BTTF2 & 3 with all the prostheses and such on Jeffery Weissman? Jennifer was recast as well but no one bothered to hide it, so why was it a big deal with George? I would have liked to see him play a bigger part in BTTF2. Thanks
  • edited October 2010
    Dear Bob Gale, Hello here's my 1st question How are the new blu-ray transfers of the new back to the future blu-rays? Are they better quallity than those that where in the theaters back when they where 1st released? Question 2 will the game follow the story of bttf or will it be different than the movies? Thanks for BTTF and keep up the good work.
  • edited October 2010
    Hi, Bob Gale I am a huge fan of the "Back To The Future" trilogy and I grew up watching these films as a kid and I absolutly think these films are genuis and perfectly written. The questions I would like to ask you are...

Question 1
    What was your first reaction when Eric Stolz was casted as Marty McFly in the film?

Question 2
    What made you guys choose to use 88 mph to time travel?

Question 3
    What were you first thoughts on doing the sequels to "back to the Future"?

Question 4
    How long did it take to build the 1885 Hill Valley set in Northern California?

Question 5
    If there was going to be a "Back to the Future Part IV" what time period would you choose for the film and would we learn more about Doc Brown in his earlier younger years becoming a scientist or him working on the Manhattan Project?

Question 6
    Was there anything else that inspired you to write "Back to the Future" besides looking at your father's high school year book?

Question 7
    How did you come up with the last name McFly for the character?

Question 8
    If actor Crispin Glover agreed to return for the sequels and his character wasn't killed off what would the storyline have been with George McFly still in the films?

Question 9B]
    What is like working with Robert Zemeckis and Michael J. Fox?
  • edited October 2010
    Wow. I don't know how I might be able to fit my question in along with the prior 2 pages of questions. However, I will give it a shot (as Doc would say "You're future isn't written yet, no-ones is ...").

Are there any plans on having the BTTF ANIMATED SERIES released to DVD or BluRay anytime soon? This would most excellent & not so much "heavy" as Marty might think. Thanks for taking your time to read this (if you get to Mr. G). Hope to see you ... IN THE FUTURE!

(ps) that is of course, if you ever do another DeLorean show in Gettysburg, PA.
  • edited October 2010
    Hello Mr Gale, I am one of the biggest BTTF fans here! I would like to know something that has been bothering me since I was a kid. In Bttf 3, when Marty trashes the fuel pump on the Delorean and leaks out all the gasoline, why doesen't the Doc. just take the parts from the Delorean that was already there which he arrived in, in 1885?
  • edited October 2010
    will the back to the future game be realistic to the movie?
  • edited October 2010
    Oh! I got one now!

What do you think of my Time Circuits that I drew? (http://i54.tinypic.com/3311tnl.jpg) As in, could you give me tips to make it better? It's a huge whiteboard, but I can't put much detail, due to only having a set of 8 expo markers. So, any ideas?

I have a projector clock set up with it, as to make the time correct, so that would be in it.

Hope that's not too confusing... haha
This discussion has been closed.