Get Your Questions Answered By Back to the Future Co-Creator Bob Gale

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Hey Bob!

Back to the Future was the first movie I remember seeing in theaters, and it's always been my favorite. The only question I have for you, is can you please make sure that hollywood never tries to Re-boot this franchise or add sequels to it? Please, Hollywood, just leave Back to the Future alone.

My worst nightmare would be to see that Hollywood is going to be making "B@ck 2 Da Future" with Justin Beiber as Marty McFly and Tom Green as Emmett Brown.
  • edited October 2010
    G'Day Bob.
    I was just wondering, after tyime and time again of watching My favourite trilogy Back To The Future, did you guys ever have a definate idea of how The Brown Mansion burned down, or did you personally have your own ideas?
    regards,
    Daniel
  • edited October 2010
    Is the game is like going to be like a travel any time or just a surtin time that can travel?
  • edited October 2010
    G'Day Bob,
    In relation to Doc Browns Dog(s). Is Copernicus the same dog as Einstein?
    Originally I thought he was the same dog, but Doc had changed his name for some apparent reason, but then I realised this would make him over 30 years old!
    So, If they are not the same dog, why was it that they looked almost identical? was it Doc's favourite breed of dog?
  • edited October 2010
    G'Day Bob-
    Could you please give us some more insight into the game?
    Possibly what characters are involved and who will do their voices?
    also, maybe something more to do with gameplay, what character will we be able to control? what does the player 'do' in the game?
    Regards,
    Daniel
  • edited October 2010
    I've noticed alot of people are asking questions about the game - which is fair enough.

But I really doubt he will be allowed to say much about the game itself especially in regard to Actors etc as I imagine Telltale would want to make special announcements about this themselves.

That said, it has been a while since any new information has surfaced on the game.
  • edited October 2010
    mcfly88 wrote: »
    I've noticed alot of people are asking questions about the game - which is fair enough.

But I really doubt he will be allowed to say much about the game itself especially in regard to Actors etc as I imagine Telltale would want to make special announcements about this themselves.

That said, it has been a while since any new information has surfaced on the game.

I also noticed a lot of people asking questions about the game that have already been answered.... Strange.
  • edited October 2010
    I also noticed a lot of people with bad spelling and grammar.... Not so strange
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2010
    The game attracts people from all age groups and countries.
    Many are new to the forums. Nothing strange here.
  • edited October 2010
    Who's the coolest person working on this game in your opinion? (excluding you)
  • edited October 2010
    Hi Bob!

I heard about the few small bits of Eric Stoltz footage on the Blu-Ray and was wondering if you or Bob Zemeckis talked to Eric Stoltz at some point to see how he would feel if his BTTF footage was made available?
  • edited October 2010
    - Among the products that the trilogy spawned, what are those you consider canon? This includes the additions of the novels. Also I'd like if you were more clear on this matter about this videogame, the answers you gave before were too much cryptic.

- Do you think the plot of the trilogy has any plot-holes? If so, are they there because of distraction, for the sake of the narration, or for something else? I'm not saying neither that there are or aren't.

- How do you feel about those producers and the likes that sometimes makes various cuts over a script? Do you think that "art through adversity" gives birth to a better product? And how this relates to the BTTF trilogy in particular?

- Do you think the end product, the trilogy as it is, was the best result you could achieve? If not, what would you add/have added? Maybe something that was cut from the screenplay?

- How do you feel about the idea of a spin-off with Doc as the main character, and maybe the only one from the original trilogy?

- How do you envision BTTF with different kinds of time travel? For example, how BTTF would be if the timeline was unique and immutable?

- Last question, what are your favorite stories on time travel (be they on books, movies etc.)?
  • edited October 2010
    Another question,

What are your opinions on the BTTF ride being replaced? Was it hard for you or anything?
  • edited October 2010
    As a future director, I'd like to know... looking back at your life, what do you treasure the most? The experiences? The people? The movies? The laughs? The cries? Holding your first camera? Seeing your last movies? Meeting old friends/actors? What can I look forward to in living a director's life? Thank you :)

P.S. When I win an Oscar, I'll mention your advice. That's a promise.
  • edited October 2010
    This is less of a BttF specific question and more a movie in general question....

I loved all 3 BttF's, but in terms of box office, each one did progressively worse iirc. But that's not something that's exclusive to BttF, many other movie trilogies suffer from this problem too. Most notably in my mind, The Matrix Trilogy. I'm curious, why do you think sequels (and more precisely trilogies) have such a hard time recapturing the magic and/or continuing the momentum of the original for the majority of audiences and critics?
  • edited October 2010
    For whatever reason there seems to be a new surge of interest in BTTF. Since a sequel seems out of the question, would there be other avenues for new stories outside of a video game, like a some sort of movie re-imagining or animated series ala Clone Wars...Back To The Future 2.5.
  • edited October 2010
    To piggyback on the above posters question (and I know this is probably a longshot question), with all the remakes being done, have you been approached by any studios, writers, producers, etc, about doing a remake/reboot of BttF?
  • edited October 2010
    I'm sure that this question won't be asked, but I'll post it anyway, as it's REALLY bothering me right now:

With all your (Bob Gale's) gushing about the image quality of the soon to come Blu-ray version of the trilogy, why wasn't there actually a new transfer made of the movies (especially since it's its anniversary)? Cleaning up the several years old transfers doesn't really cut it for HD-fans, and even though the image looks better than the DVD (everything else would be even more surprising), it looks considerably worse compared to other Blu-ray releases (and this doesn't have to do with the age of the movies, as there are even older movies that got new transfers which look like they'd been shot last year). Are we to expect a new "Gladiator", with a messed up Blu-ray released first, and a perfectly looking transfer released a year later? I would've thought BTTF to be a prestige franchise for Universal, so that there would actually be a huge amount of work put into preservation of these movies...
  • edited October 2010
    Another one for the Strange series:
    Alan wrote:
    We're working with Bob Gale, co-creator and screenwriter of the Back to the Future series, on our upcoming Back to the Future game and we want to give our fans a chance to ask him some questions!
    Jenny wrote:
    I have seen lots of posts and videos on the enternet about there being a 2010 version Back To The Future game. Is there going to be one?

Had it been posted any other place on the internet, it wouldn't have been as strange, but under that particular blog post on the Telltale Games site...?
  • edited October 2010
    I just had a re-read of the questions, alot of them are answered in the special features that were on the DVD releases.

There's a heap of them on YouTube... I'd happily answer alot of these questions but I don't want to ruin it for people if they have there heart set on getting there answer straight from Bob :)
  • edited October 2010
    I've got a question; why is there no screen shots, let alone trailers, when the game is suppose to be out in winter? That's THIS winter.

Also, will the game resemble your other games which have pretty terrible graphics and several ugly character models. And I'm not referring to your cartoon/comic based games which TellTale games so frequently create (probably because they are pretty easy to produce)

I'm referring to CSI, the game that most TellTale fans boast as the solid evidence that TellTale games can produce a great game which has good graphics.

However if you look at people of a unbiased judgment, such as game reviewers, you'll notice it's nothing to boast about at all:

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/csi3/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary%3Bread-review

I quote
    * Character models are ugly.

And from another reviewer:

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/828/828677p1.html

I quote:
    graphics are bland, and the gameplay completely uninspired
  • edited October 2010
    What would have happened if the terrorists stole the De'Lorean as a result of Doc not dying when they shot him?
  • edited October 2010
    evil_rex wrote: »
    I've got a question; why is there no screen shots, let alone trailers, when the game is suppose to be out in winter? That's THIS winter.

Also, will the game resemble your other games which have pretty terrible graphics and several ugly character models. And I'm not referring to your cartoon/comic based games which TellTale games so frequently create (probably because they are pretty easy to produce)

I'm referring to CSI, the game that most TellTale fans boast as the solid evidence that TellTale games can produce a great game which has good graphics.

However if you look at people of a unbiased judgment, such as game reviewers, you'll notice it's nothing to boast about at all:

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/csi3/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary%3Bread-review

I quote

I quote:

Not really the place for this.

That said, we've got some exciting stuff to show off as October progresses.
  • edited October 2010
    That said, we've got some exciting stuff to show off as October progresses.

Nice!
  • edited October 2010
    Spykes wrote: »
    Nice!

Ditto! :cool:
  • edited October 2010

I quote

I quote:

Dude, not cool. It is completely possible to be critical without being an ass.

Also, check out Sam & Max season 3, or Monkey Island if you find earlier games underwhelming in the graphics department, Absolutely beautiful :)
  • edited October 2010

No, people only use it as evidence that Telltale can make a non-cartoony game, which is the criticism you keep bringing up.

Furthermore, may I remind you that those reviews are for games form 2006 and 2007? Why, it's almost as if Telltale was a company with a much lower budget back then that has managed to grow and develop over time!
  • edited October 2010
    encse wrote: »
    Dear Mr Gale!

Q1
    This one was spotted by my sister when we was watching the 3rd episode like the 23th times.

There are actually two DeLoreans in the wild west Hill Valley setting: the one that Marty used to came back to save Doc, and the other one that was dug by Dr Brown in the mine to hide it for Marty in the future. They never mention this 'hidden' DeLorean while looking for fuel. Why? Did you just simply forget about it?

I don't understand this question.

Doc Brown finds himself in the 19th century. He hides the Delorean. Marty picks it up in the 1950s and travels back to meet Doc. They stick it in front of a train and go back to the future. They can hardly fiddle about with the one hidden away, because then Marty wouldn't be able to find Doc in the first place. All the fuel in the tank was 'earmarked' either to be used or to be lost when Marty is attacked by the Red Indians.

(And will we get this kind of everything-hangs-together use of timetravel in the game? Or paradoxes galore? Either would be good!)
  • edited October 2010
    Will "Back to the future: the game" be released on game discs or game download from the system's game network? System networks like; Playstation network, wii channel, x-box live, and telltale games. I just want to know if the bttf game can/will avabile to buy from any game store as well as system networks.
  • edited October 2010
    Hey, Bob! I'm a huge Back to the Future fan, and I can't wait to see screenshots and trailers for the game! What do you think of the game's graphics?

Fix'd.
  • edited October 2010
    Will "Back to the future: the game" be released on game discs or game download from the system's game network? System networks like; Playstation network, wii channel, x-box live, and telltale games. I just want to know if the bttf game can/will avabile to buy from any game store as well as system networks.

That's more a question for Telltale, not Bob. They haven't said too much on the channels yet, but it's a good bet it will be downloadable for PC/Mac, then shortly after for Xbox live & PS Network. Hopefully Wii disc too at a later date.
  • edited October 2010
    1. How many DeLorean's were used in the movie (including the one that exploded and the fiberglass one used for flight sequences?

2. What are the sunglasses that Christopher Lloyd wore during BTTF Part 2 in the flying DeLorean made out of?

3. IS THERE REALLY GOING TO BE A BTTF REMAKE!?!?
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks Bob for your huge part in something that has given me great entertainment, thought and sheer joy throughout my life. I was 8 when I saw Back to the Future 2 & it's the only film from my childhood I remember seeing on the big screen. It kicked off what will be a lifelong fascination with time travel but also was memorable chiefly for the characterizations.

My questions (and if they're more appropriate for Telltale Games, perhaps they can address them at some point)--
    1) Without spoiling anything, do you have any voice roles/cameos in the new games?
    2) Will players participate in events from the original trilogy?
    3) Are you considering adopting a DOTT style approach where you switch between say Doc, Marty, Jennifer? Or maybe Marty, Jules & Verne? It could be fun in some sequences to even play as Clara, 1955 George or experience playing Biff or Griff! :P
    4) Any chance of an arcade chase sequence like in each of the movies? Or will the game be strictly adventure mode.
    5) Will we see Clara's family or descendants? Or more of the original 2015 characters?

6) Any word of getting Huey Lewis to record a new song for the series?
    7) Will the Delorean have any new abilities/modifications to it from visiting certain time periods?
    8) Have there been adventures SINCE the close of the BTTF3 film? Are the animated adventures canon in the scheme of the game & will the series bring back or refer to any of these events or characters?
    9) Any plans on releasing the game for the iPhone 4?
    10) Would you ever consider being involved in another time travel franchise?
  • edited October 2010
    What is your favorite non-BTTF time-travel fiction?
  • edited October 2010
    Why do you think that the BTTF game will most likely be a download, rather than the game on a disc? It would be better to have the game on a disc, so you can actually hold it in your hands and take it with you any where you want. If its a download, the system that you download the game on to, will be the ONLY place you can play the game. ON THAT ONE SYSTEM!!
  • edited October 2010
    What was it like seeing BTTF with Alan Silvestri's music for the first time?

(On that note, do you think there's a chance he'll come on board for the game? He did BTTF: THE RIDE, after all -- albeit that required much less music.)
  • edited October 2010
    Why do you think that the BTTF game will most likely be a download, rather than the game on a disc? It would be better to have the game on a disc, so you can actually hold it in your hands and take it with you any where you want. If its a download, the system that you download the game on to, will be the ONLY place you can play the game. ON THAT ONE SYSTEM!!

No, you can download it to a number of systems.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2010
    ...and quite possibly, there's a DVD at the end of the season for PC and Mac users...

This thread earns the "epic derail" label. Most of the questions in here are exclusively for Telltale to answer - not Bob Gale.
  • edited October 2010
    How much trouble did you have writing the stories getting the storylines to all match up and making sure they made sense?
    Linked to this question somewhat, how many (substantial) rewrites were there of each story due to getting the storylines to mesh nicely?

Your stories left a hell of a legacy and obviously captured the hearts of a lot of people who are still huge fans to this day. How does it feel to have made such a huge impact on so many people's lives?
  • edited October 2010
    how old is doc?
This discussion has been closed.