OFFICIAL 'TF2 Unlocks questions' thread (was: Question about unlocks not in Steam)

I plan on getting TF2 but I don't have it yet. The only problem is, I don't know if I'll still be able to get the items after I get TF2. Will I have to wait to play this game until I get TF2? Could someone please inform me on this matter?

Thanks,
Blooglspash

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Yep, you will get the items when you get TF2, even if you buy it after you get all Poker Night items.
  • edited November 2010
    Yep, you will get the items when you get TF2, even if you buy it after you get all Poker Night items.

Great! Does that mean I should use the code you get here now?
  • edited November 2010
    Great! Does that mean I should use the code you get here now?

Yeah. You will also get Poker Night on Steam.
  • edited November 2010
    Okay, Thank you!
  • edited November 2010
    If I unlocked the game in steam, but installed it not in steam, does it still automatically unlock the achievements in Steam?

Or should I re-install in Steam?
  • edited November 2010
    econojo wrote: »
    If I unlocked the game in steam, but installed it not in steam, does it still automatically unlock the achievements in Steam?

Or should I re-install in Steam?

it will not. open steam and start the TTG-Version of the game in the launcher should be a field that says click here for unlocks or something similar.

Or you can try this site: http://www.telltalegames.com/tf2unlocks
  • edited November 2010
    You can only get the unlocks if you play the steam version, which you can get through the page der_ketzer posted. I only just read that on the official Poker Night thread, which kinda sucks because the download for the Telltale version just finished and that means I'll have to download it again through Steam to get the items. I've noticed that the codes for the visor and the unlocks are different, so people who preordered it get to register the game on steam a second time?
  • edited November 2010
    Greetings!

First of All! Poker Night is just Awesome! You Guys did a fantastic Job, capturing the Character of every Poker Night Participant!

But after all, I still have a Question, that, I hope, a Telltale Designer can clear up for me!

I bought (pre-ordered) Poker Night on Steam. Now...
    I unlocked ALL TF2 Items now, It's just, that I don't OWN TF2... I plan on Buying It in early December, my Question is:

Do I get all the Items, once I own TF2?

I postet this Question on the Steam Forum too, but I hope a Game Developer can provide some first-Hand Information!

Keep the work on the "At the Inventory" Series up!

Best Regards

Magic_M
  • edited November 2010
    Neelo wrote: »
    You can only get the unlocks if you play the steam version, which you can get through the page der_ketzer posted. I only just read that on the official Poker Night thread, which kinda sucks because the download for the Telltale version just finished and that means I'll have to download it again through Steam to get the items. I've noticed that the codes for the visor and the unlocks are different, so people who preordered it get to register the game on steam a second time?

You can use the files from the TT-install-folder for the steamversion to save a little bit of download-volume. You can save more if you copy the direct X folder from another steam-game to the poker night folder (about 100mb for direct X alone).
  • edited November 2010
    That code... What does it do? I noticed it's different than the one in /tf2visor. Does it also give me the Steam version of the game (which would be a rather stupid move by Telltale)? Or does it only give me the unlocks?

I haven't tried using it yet (and probably not going to) but it seems strange to me... If I didn't get any of the unlocks inside the game yet, what would the code give me? Does the code update every time I earn an item?

etc. etc..

For the record, I'm playing on Steam, so this isn't very relevant for me I guess... I'm just really curious.

Also, I have to ask, what happened to "you just need to have Steam running while you play the TTG version" that the devs kept saying before the release?
  • edited November 2010
    It gives a steam version because I think they couldn't get the steamworks achievements working without it running directly through steam.
  • edited November 2010
    That means that one TTG pre-order = one TTG version + 2 Steam versions.

I honestly didn't think Telltale would give away their games like this.
  • edited November 2010
    Where do you get the extra Steam copy?

The code is for the pre-order visor, not the other items.
  • edited November 2010
    The pre-order visor code unlocks the full game on steam. It seems that if you pre-order, you technically get the game twice since a new code was generated after release.

I'm assuming that the difference is that the new code won't give the visor, while the old one does.
  • edited November 2010
    Hello!

First of all, I want to tell you, that Poker Night is total WIN! This Game is just Immense Fun to play, you got the Interactions between Characters perfectly right etc. etc.

I just could continue praising you for your Work, but there is a Question that I have, and it would be really nice if a TellTale Developer could clear things Up for me:

I pre-ordered the Game through Steam, and unit now I unlocked all Items for Team Fortress 2. But as a matter of fact, I don't own TF2 at the moment!

I asked this on the Steam Forum, but I really want to get first-hand Information from the Developers.
    Do I get all the Items, once I buy Team Fortress 2?

Or are they lost now?

Best Regards

Magic_M
  • edited November 2010
    I think so, yeah. People who unlocked the Alien Swarm hat (through achievement) in Alien Swarm got the hat in TF2 after they bought that game as well.
  • edited November 2010
    When you win the item it unlocks a achievement which is permentally linked to your Steam account. When you start TF2 for the first time and it connects to Steam, then it goes through a checklist on your achievements. After it finds one from Poker Night the item unlocks.
  • edited November 2010
    I have just unlocked Tycho's watch, so I booted up TF2 to see how it looks on the Spy, and in the items description box it says that the item can not be traded, so my question is once I unlock Max's gun will i be able to trade it as I already have it from pre-ordering The Devil's Playhouse? it's cool if it's not but seems abit of a waste to have the same item twice and not be able to trade one for something i don't have.
  • edited November 2010
    evan223 wrote: »
    I have just unlocked Tycho's watch, so I booted up TF2 to see how it looks on the Spy, and in the items description box it says that the item can not be traded, so my question is once I unlock Max's gun will i be able to trade it as I already have it from pre-ordering The Devil's Playhouse? it's cool if it's not but seems abit of a waste to have the same item twice and not be able to trade one for something i don't have.

No. Those count as achievement items and those are no longer tradeable in TF2. Same way for the Alien swarm hat if you get it now. Old ones should still be tradeable.
    You can always give away your Vintage Lugermorph. It's the same item but with a stupid Vintage attached to it and with ugly blue text.
  • edited November 2010
    I'm seeing people talk about achievements. What achievements?

Also, I've earned two items so far. I don't seem to have them in TF2, and I don't seem to have a new key code to punch in. I'm not even sure whether I get them automatically or if I am supposed to get a new code to punch in. Which is it, and when do I get them?

And because I got the fifth degree when I asked this last night on a TF2 server, I'mma clarify:

I won the items last night. Yes, I personally knocked out the character who's items they were, AND went on to win the tournament, AND I got the pop-up screen saying "Congratulations, you've unlocked this item!" with the two buttons, AND they're listed as unlocked in my stats screen.
  • edited November 2010
    Moleculor wrote: »
    I'm seeing people talk about achievements. What achievements?

Also, I've earned two items so far. I don't seem to have them in TF2, and I don't seem to have a new key code to punch in. I'm not even sure whether I get them automatically or if I am supposed to get a new code to punch in. Which is it, and when do I get them?

And because I got the fifth degree when I asked this last night on a TF2 server, I'mma clarify:

I won the items last night. Yes, I personally knocked out the character who's items they were, AND went on to win the tournament, AND I got the pop-up screen saying "Congratulations, you've unlocked this item!" with the two buttons, AND they're listed as unlocked in my stats screen.
    Did you buy the Steam or Telltale version?
  • edited November 2010
    Telltale
  • edited November 2010
    I bought it from Telltale's store (I like buying from developers direct when I can) but registered it and play it on Steam. I suspect that's important for unlocks and achievements.
  • edited November 2010
    Guhndahb wrote: »
    I bought it from Telltale's store (I like buying from developers direct when I can) but registered it and play it on Steam. I suspect that's important for unlocks and achievements.

I didn't realize I could install through Steam too. Didn't even bother to look, since I knew I could with the preorder stuff through Telltale and Sam & Max, but felt like if I installed via that option I'd be "robbing" someone of money (since I didn't buy through Steam I shouldn't play through it).

Are the unlocks ONLY available through the Steam version?
  • edited November 2010
    On a different topic, Jake said cause of how odd steam is set up, the tt version of the game does not give you the items. If you preordered the tt ver, you get the steam ver since that was the only way to get thepreeorder item
  • edited November 2010

Yes. You can get the code to install the Steam version here: http://www.telltalegames.com/tf2unlocks
  • edited November 2010
    I didn't realize I could install through Steam too. Didn't even bother to look, since I knew I could with the preorder stuff through Telltale and Sam & Max, but felt like if I installed via that option I'd be "robbing" someone of money (since I didn't buy through Steam I shouldn't play through it).

If you have bought the preorder ver, you would be given a code to unlock the item. The code not only gives you the visor, but the steam version of the game. This is the only way to get the TF2 items, so you aren't really robbing someone of their money since the code is given to you.
  • edited November 2010
    Yes. You can get the code to install the Steam version here: http://www.telltalegames.com/tf2unlocks

Didn't know they give out what I assume is the steam ver of the game minus visor for the TT people as well. That's good since it would suck for them not to get the unlocks.
  • edited November 2010
    The same thing happened to me; Bought the Telltale version, won two items but never got them in TF2, and then today (after restarting my computer), my settings and stats were completely reset. But from what the FAQ says, you shouldn't have to play it on Steam to get the items:
    TF2 Unlocks! Holy Moly! How do I get 'em?
    Simply by playing the game! Sometimes a character is a little short on cash and will put a valuable personal item on the line as their buy-in. Be the person to bust them out of the table and your item will unlock in Team Fortress 2. And with Steamworks integration, you'll be able to earn TF2 items no matter where or when you buy the game.
    I never got the two items I won, and now I have to win them again. I'm gonna try to win something in the Telltale version again to see if it'll work now, but if it doesn't, I'll be playing the Steam version.
  • edited November 2010
    Dr_Worm wrote: »
    The same thing happened to me; Bought the Telltale version, won two items but never got them in TF2, and then today (after restarting my computer), my settings and stats were completely reset. But from what the FAQ says, you shouldn't have to play it on Steam to get the items:I never got the two items I won, and now I have to win them again. I'm gonna try to win something in the Telltale version again to see if it'll work now, but if it doesn't, I'll be playing the Steam version.

No offense, but I think playing the TT version again to see if you get the tf2 stuff would be a waste of your time since it is confirmed by the link that the sporkman posted and from one of the TT employees on the forums that the only way to get the items is throught the steam version.

http://www.telltalegames.com/tf2unlocks
  • edited November 2010
    ....wait, what? Jake said that the Telltale version uses Steamworks, and as long as you run the Telltale version with Steam running at the same time, you should get the unlocks. I can find the thread if you'd like.
  • edited November 2010
    ....wait, what? Jake said that the Telltale version uses Steamworks, and as long as you run the Telltale version with Steam running at the same time, you should get the unlocks. I can find the thread if you'd like.

Well, even if you do find the thread, it's incorrect, as I've been playing the Telltale version, and it doesn't have Steamworks integration at all. Not even if I launch it through Steam.

I downloaded and installed the Steam version, got my unlocks instantly. So the only way to get your unlocks in TF2 is to play the Steam version. Period.
  • edited November 2010

You probably read it wrong or read an outdated comment from him since he made a comment stating that because of how odd the steam intergration works, you can't get the items if you play the one from tt.

Going to find the quote.
  • edited November 2010

From the countdown topic page 10:
    Jake wrote: »
    TTG customers you can play on Steam if you don't want to wait -- Get your Steam code here http://www.telltalegames.com/tf2unlocks

Also note: Due to weirdness in how Steamworks works, playing in Steam is the only way to get TF2 unlocks.
  • edited November 2010
    I was going to suggest that you link it to your Steam account.
  • edited November 2010
    i think the TT version not unlockin the weapons was a last minute find, which would explain why the tt ver was said to unlock the weapons before the game was available..
  • edited November 2010
    Hi.

I just ordered Poker Night at the Inventory, and during my first hour or play, I encountered two bugs.

First one (pokerbug raiseamount.jpg) : see the amount of $ to raise. It went wrong. At the point the game not playable. It did not hang, i was still able to go to menu, go to the stats, but none of the buttons at the bottom of the screen responded, so I was stuck. I had to ALT+F4 to quit.
    What leads to this situation is I moved the 'raise' slider, but I only had $100 left, so I was already All In.

Second bug (pokerbug_only1dealedcard.jpg) well ... see by yourself !
  • edited November 2010
    Wow, I am seriouslyyy bummed out by what just happened - did I do something wrong? Has this happened to anyone else?

I purchased the game through Telltale and downloaded it. I played a bunch, won a bunch of tables/cardsets, and then I won the Heavy's special item. Next time I played, I clicked on the "retrieve your TF2 items" from the splash menu. It gave me a key, brought up my steam client, and I entered the key in. Then it re-downloaded Poker Night (e.g. to the steam apps directory). I played it from Steam, and all my stuff was gone. I figured that this was because Steam downloaded an entirely separate copy, so it was working off a different saved games directory.

So I just opened it from my Telltale copy of the game, and all my stuff is still gone! What's weird is, when I view the card/table selection screen, it will temporarily show all the stuff I had, but then clear it after about a second. The special item is gone, and all my stats/money are gone.

I thought I had just followed the instructions on retrieving my TF2 items, but something I did erased everything. Any ideas?
  • edited November 2010
    That is true, sadly. You're currently unable to claim your prizes for TF2 unless you play the game on Steam, which has a different way of saving your accomplishments. This has been pointed out by Jake on forums before the release of the game.

It's also told by various forum users that the "claiming" link may or may not have that kind of an effect.
  • edited November 2010
    Gotcha. I will just have to win the stuff back. It stinks that it erases everything (money, tables, cards, etc) without giving you a warning though (unless I missed the warning, that is a possibility).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.