Who thinks the action sequences in BttF: The game should be QTE sequences?

edited December 2010 in Back to the Future
I am referring to the chases. Maybe a chase in the DeLorean or a chase with Marty on something similair to a skateboard.

I think the chases could be done very cinematic if they're QTE sequences. Just look at Shenmue 2

Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxkROaUPVyk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=137fcGcPUsQ

Comments

• edited December 2010
    As much as people really want to "drive" the DeLorean, you're right that QTE's would make for much more cinematic events in the game than just outright playing that scene would provide.
  • edited December 2010
    As long as Marty has to go looking for sailors at some point, I'm down with the idea.
  • edited December 2010
    Interesting idea. But people buy the game as an adventure game much as they buy the game as a BTTF game. I don't think such parts based solely on reflexes would be acclaimed well.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    It would be just a small portion. 1 chase per episode...heck maybe even 3 chase in total of the season. There could be a small tutorial before the chase starts and the reaction time not too strict.

Really...it doesn't get much easier than pressing a designated button that appears on screen. Maybe only limited to the arrows, with the arrow having the design of the one in the BttF logo. :D
  • edited December 2010
    NOOOOO!!!! I hate QTE.... I end up too focused on what stupid button I am supposed to hit I can not really focus what is going on story-wise.... I HATE THEM..
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Aww come on they're not that bad. Plot-wise there probably won't even be a lot happening. Just an epic chase you're missing out on. :D

Anyway...what TellTale can decide to do is make the chases in a way that they can't be lost.
    So like, Marty is on a skateboard and he has to dodge a pedestrian and when you miss the button he'll bump into that person but get up afterwards. So there is no really bad outcome only that you make Marty McFly look like a butthead. :)
  • edited December 2010
    BTTF definitely needs some element of action and "beat the deadline" type feel. I like the idea of QTE. You're not actually controlling anything, just "beating the deadline". In a way it's very BTTF-esque in concept. We'll see what they got planned, though.
  • edited December 2010
    Some console action-based games incorporate something similar for special events. For instance, in both Force Unleashed games, there are segments where you have to press the appropriate button at the right time in sequence in order to deliver the final killing blow to some boss character. It might not technically be a QTE (since QT is not involved), but it is the same idea. Mass Effect does something similar for the lock-picking system.

Another thing I wouldn't mind would be optional reflex or action-based mini-games as fun diversions, perhaps as hidden easter eggs. For instance, "use wild gunman arcade" (assuming you ever ran into one somewhere) could take you into a point-and-click mini-game where you have to shoot targets (complete with 80's-style pixelated 2D graphics). Sort of like how the entire original Maniac Mansion game was playable as an easter egg in DOTT if you used Weird Ed's computer, or like how you could kill time while playing The Dig by using the PDA to play a lunar-lander arcade game.
  • edited December 2010
    My guess is, the action sequences may be similar to the action sequences at the end of each "Wallace & Gromit" episode, with the action happening around you, and you having to click various items in the scene to get through it. Essentially, an action scene in an adventure game format.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Owh...I didn't know TellTale did such ones.

I only played Sam and Max S1 due to my comp's limitations(will get a laptop soon)
    and I loved what I played but the car action scenes were not overly convincing. It was just an endless loop of same streets and stuff.
  • edited December 2010
    QTE's worked really well in Shenmue, it is the game that coined the term, but I would much rather drive the DMC, not passively press button sequences and watch the actions caried out. That is what puts me off from playing Turn-based RPG's.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    NOOOOO!!!! I hate QTE.... I end up too focused on what stupid button I am supposed to hit I can not really focus what is going on story-wise.... I HATE THEM..

Seconded, unfortunately.

1) "Press the button as fast as you can"
    2) "QTE"
    3) Shift to online games
    4) "Achievements"

These are the main things that turned me away from consoles (my last console was the PS2, which eventually played far more old PS1 games than actual new PS2 games). QTE has a solid second place. I can see why some people like it, because it's at least some kind of interactivity, but then again, I personally find it very insufficient to transport even the faint idea of controlling a character. :(
  • edited December 2010
    I hate any kind of action scene in an adventure game.
    For people who like action games they are lame and for people who don't like action games they are extremely irritating and spoil the adventure experience.
    Its the action scenes in sam and max that spoil it for me and is the main reason that I have never been into sam and max.
    I remember being really annoyed when I couldn't beat the boxing helena in one of their episodes and cursing that such a scene shouldn't be in an adventure game anyway.
    I got it in the end but as I had got the episode free with a coupon I vowed never to spend my hard earned cash on sam and max games.
  • edited December 2010
    Ugh, QTE's suck. Glorified Simon, except the buttons on the Simon machine jump about the room and somehow control something in the center of the room but you can't focus on that right now because you're too busy RUNNING AROUND PRESSING BUTTONS.
  • edited December 2010
    QTEs are horrible.

Imagine going to a movie and being handed a big controller. In order for the movie to play as normal, you are required to hit whatever totally random buttons pop up on screen perfectly, or you're forced to re-watch the last 5 minutes of the movie for no good reason. How does that sound entertaining?
  • edited December 2010
    I imagine they will do action like they always have through puzzles.... Sam and Max Season 3 had it... as well as Tales of Monkey Island.... where you have to complete a puzzle in the right sequence or position to advance the story. I see no reason they should change it now.
  • edited December 2010
    Full Throttle is an example of an adventure game that did action scenes well. At least I remember them being done well...
  • edited December 2010
    QTEs are bad in a sense that they don't allow any freedom. You know, it's mostly "Press this button or you fail (totally, have to start over, or you continue but have a limited amount of fails left)". That is a VERY bad habit, and the developers do NOT want to add unlinearity to it (mostly because a QTE would cost VERY much then). In action games, for example, why do I have to press the punch button? Maybe I want to jump! And etc. etc. So to hell with QTEs. Basically, an unlinear QTE is something like in a lot of games with cinematic fights that look like QTEs but don't act like them, giving the player freedom he needs, like Prince of Persia 2008 (VERY cinematic swordfights) or Uncharted 2, i.e. a part of the GAMEPLAY the player has control over.
  • edited December 2010
    There are smart QTE, ignorant people.

Some games actually use actual buttons for the QTE. (for instance if something is chasing you, you have to "jump"). Those logic QTE are pretty interesting.

There's also the simple arrows, if something is in front of you, dodge on the left etc...

I agree that the blank QTE like we can see in most games, is ridiculous.

Also, stop talking about Uncharted or else, it's not as if TellTale could do that.

The only problem I see with action scenes in BTTF the game, is that it's going to be horrible repetitive, the time you figure out what to do. Or worst, if you fail, does everything keep going on ?

Then it wouldn't really be challenging. Then what would even be the point ?
  • edited December 2010
    There are smart QTE, ignorant people.

Some games actually use actual buttons for the QTE. (for instance if something is chasing you, you have to "jump"). Those logic QTE are pretty interesting.

They're the same linear QTE which leave no freedom to the player OR control over the character. So they still suck.

The way I see it: either make a sequence playable and controllable (and cinematic, which I said is clearly possible), either make a cinematic cutscene which we can view and even awe upon. But "interactive" cutscenes where we have to press the right button to progress through it and ONLY that button - that's just plain stupid. We ought to get rid of that.
  • edited December 2010
    Full Throttle is an example of an adventure game that did action scenes well. At least I remember them being done well...

Full Throttle did action scenes really well and I'm not even talking about the motorcycle fighting bits. The whole climax of the game was essentially a big action chase sequence where you're being shot at as you race down the highway towards a ravine yet it was still point and click puzzle solving.
  • edited December 2010
    I get most people who want scenes like this are new here(or I didnt notice all of you) but telltale tends not to do QTE and as stated they can do something like the finale of tales of monkey island where you will keep getting attacked if you are not fast enough to do whatever and keep changing scenes. Or Wallace and gromit where action is happening and you sortof interact and save the day without too much within the action.
  • edited December 2010
    I get most people who want scenes like this are new here(or I didnt notice all of you) but telltale tends not to do QTE and as stated they can do something like the finale of tales of monkey island where you will keep getting attacked if you are not fast enough to do whatever and keep changing scenes. Or Wallace and gromit where action is happening and you sortof interact and save the day without too much within the action.

The final of Monkey Island is probably one of the worst ever.

I mean it looks great, it's epic. IF YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Otherwise it's horrible how boring and repetitive it gets >.< ... I mean, if you don't figure out what to do right away (and you're not supposed to), the endless loop is just painful.
  • edited December 2010
    I actually love QTE's, especially in acton packed games such as God of War.
  • edited December 2010
    I prefer to control the action, in acton packed games such as God of War.

That's the problem, it's not controlling the action. It's only an illusion. In reality, you don't control anything - either press what the developers want you to press, or face the consequences of failure. (with the consequences depending on the game itself)

EDIT: Huh, turns out while I was writing this little post you had yours edited :) I still will leave the old quotation, otherwise this post won't make sense :p
  • edited December 2010
    Fahrenheit did it pretty well.

Then again, that's the only game I played which had QTE (lucky me! :p)

If you fail, you alter the timestream and get a harder puzzle instead? So either
    A) You are twitch gamer? Good for you, have easier puzzles!
    B) You are a puzzler. Fail the QTE and up the difficulty of puzzles!
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Yep. That was my following idea. Just make your actions alter the QTE sequence, no game-over or retry.

People see it as an easy cop-out for evading gameplay. Cutscene with an excuse for gameplay.
    But you can also look at it from another way. Instead of provided with an action packed cutscene, that would've been rewarding on it's own, some interactivity has been added and adds excitement to it.
    The glass is either half full or half empty. ;)

Same with GoW, never got the complaints. Instead of having enemies killed just by regularly depleting their health bar they added a cool 'finish him' sequence. And it's even a sequence that is interactive. They could've as well decided to omit this and you just keep attacking the enemy. Instead they added something EXTRA. Yet people call it cheap design. But it's a cheap design of what? The alternative would have been doing the same thing; spamming that button. :(
  • edited December 2010
    If you fail, you alter the timestream and get a harder puzzle instead? So either
    A) You are twitch gamer? Good for you, have easier puzzles!
    B) You are a puzzler. Fail the QTE and up the difficulty of puzzles!

The problem with that is that there are many gamers who have BOTH good reactions and twitchy fingers AND urge for stronger puzzles, so that's not really the best option for success/failure ;)
    Same with GoW, never got the complaints. Instead of having enemies killed just by regularly depleting their health bar they added a cool 'finish him' sequence. And it's even a sequence that is interactive. They could've as well decided to omit this and you just keep attacking the enemy. Instead they added something EXTRA. Yet people call it cheap design. But it's a cheap design of what? The alternative would have been doing the same thing; spamming that button.

Let me explain what modern QTEs should AT LEAST do to be NOT cheap designs.

Let's suppose that there's three actions: jump, punch, kick. For the simplicity of explaining. Now. Instead of showing what of the three action buttons to press, an icon shows up that you SHOULD press a button now (a button of YOUR choice)

So, let's say Hero and Enemy are both in battle positions (the sequence that I just thought of is actually crap, since I didn't really give much thought to the sequence itself, I'm talking about what QTE should've had become by now)

ACTION ICON APPEARS
    If you press Jump - You jump on the enemy (supposedly a boss). He gets in a battle pose.
    If you press Punch - You try to punch him. He dodges.
    If you press Kick - You try to kick him. He dodges.

ACTION ICON 2 APPEARS.
    Tree 2.1 (if you pressed the first time jump)
    Press Jump - You grab on some object and jump even higher. The enemy jumps to follow you.
    Press Punch - You try to punch the enemy from the air, that doesn't work to well as he easily counters the attack and throws you away (and action icon will appear as you're lying, so you would be able to get out of the situation)
    Press Kick - You kick the enemy in the face, he is thrown back, you land in a battle po

Tree 2.2 (If you pressed punch in tree 1)
    Press Jump - You jump overhead the enemy as he tries to punch you after his dodge.
    Press Punch - You try to punch the enemy as he tries to punch you, both catching eachother's hands you stand in a locked position.
    Press Kick - The enemy punches you before you can do anything with your feet.

Tree 2.3 (If you pressed Kick in tree 1)
    Well, you get the idea. To make this big tree of actions, some successful, some would lead to bits of failure (from which you can quickly recover if you do successful action). Now THAT would be an INTERACTIVE cutscene, that could enhance the gameplay, it would require not to look at the button you HAVE to press, but to actually look at the picture and what's going on, what's the situation, to make you actually THINK quickly rather than just press the right button without thinking. To make it more exciting. As it should be.

And, granted, this would require a GREAT amount of work, but given the budgets all these big action games have (meaning they can freely do stuff like that), their QTEs are REALLY just simple cheap design.
  • edited December 2010
    I've always found QTE to mostly be nothing more than fancy cutscenes that you can't even properly watch because you're having to concentrate on the random button prompts appearing on the screen. The first Force Unleashed game had some of the worst QTE I've ever witnessed and I really hope TellTale stay far away from them.
  • edited December 2010
    I kinda liked the QTEs in Tomb Raiders Legend and Anniversary. There weren't too many, but they were quick and had relevance to the plot.
  • edited December 2010
    That's the problem, it's not controlling the action. It's only an illusion. In reality, you don't control anything - either press what the developers want you to press, or face the consequences of failure.

Aaaaand... what is an adventure game exactly ?

I mean, you click on things and witness the action, you never actually do it, right ?

And if you try things that are not what the developpers want you to do, it doesn't work and you witness "failure", right ?

Now THAT would be an INTERACTIVE cutscene, that could enhance the gameplay, it would require not to look at the button you HAVE to press, but to actually look at the picture and what's going on, what's the situation, to make you actually THINK quickly rather than just press the right button without thinking. To make it more exciting. As it should be.

Heavy Rain does exactly that. They tried it in Farenheit and got it better in Heavy Rain.
  • edited December 2010
    @Meta

Yes, those were also little inspiration for creating this topic. I think it worked well in those games.
  • edited December 2010
    I sure hope they don't use any shit like that.
    QTEs are just baaad!

Of course any action sequence in an adventure is bad.
    Main reason I never finished Simon 3D.
    (The bad graphics and the stupid controls didn't help either, but I was willing to give the game a chance despite those)

If I want to play an action game..I play an action game.
    (And if I want to play a game where I have to run from candy heap to candy heap in limited time, I go and let my head examined :P )
  • edited December 2010
    Farlander wrote: »
    The problem with that is that there are many gamers who have BOTH good reactions and twitchy fingers AND urge for stronger puzzles, so that's not really the best option for success/failure ;)
    Then they get extra re-playability. Try success first and then failure later and see the results of it.

Could be tied in with the "what happens in episode X makes things a little different in Y" giving even MORE replayability.
    Search the thread, I don't got the time now (had to leave 15 min ago actually 0_0)...
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Naahh....personally I am not fond of different endings and outcomes in game.

Yes, failing to press the button might affect Marty directly in the QTE sequences but failing it would have to give the same outcome as being succesfull.
    Maybe only a slight different reaction at the end. Like "geez.....time traveling must affect ones skateboarding abillities". Okay that is lame but you get the picture.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    I kinda liked the QTEs in Tomb Raiders Legend and Anniversary. There weren't too many, but they were quick and had relevance to the plot.

I loved anniversary (have played the original on PS when it came out in 1997), and it's a pretty perfect Tomb Raider experience. That didn't make me like the QTEs. ;)
  • edited December 2010
    Strayth wrote:
    Aaaaand... what is an adventure game exactly ?

I mean, you click on things and witness the action, you never actually do it, right ?

And if you try things that are not what the developpers want you to do, it doesn't work and you witness "failure", right ?

a) exist adventure games with multiple puzzle solutions (and I wish there would be more of them)
    b) adventure games don't usually tell you 'Push this' or 'Press this' or 'Use this with this', punishing in a few seconds if you didn't.
    c) even if there is one possible puzzle solution outcome in an adventure game, you think, you experiment, you use logic to get to it (unless it's a shitty puzzle with a logic that the developer himself wouldn't understand if he would see it again in a few years after he made that puzzle), you have freedom. You can talk to people, you can get some clues, you can do this, you can do that, even if there is one possible solution, the player is still in control how he would get to it.
    d) comparing the adventure game genre to the QTE mechanic is, no offence, foolish.
    Heavy Rain does exactly that. They tried it in Farenheit and got it better in Heavy Rain

Heavy Rain? Sure, it's actions are all contextual in relativity to the controller, BUT, if we talk about Heavy Rain QTEs, they are still crap in a sense that there's still little to NO freedom in there at all. What Heavy Rain does is in no means what I said QTEs should evolve into. It's still 'we show you what action you HAVE to do' instead of 'quickly think what you should do'. The only good difference in HR QTEs is that the failure penalty doesn't cause immediate death.

PS. Don't think that because of my criticism over QTEs in general or Heavry Rain QTEs in particular means that I think it's a bad game. It's not. But Heavy Rain is at it's best when it DOESN'T show action sequences with QTEs.
  • edited December 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    Naahh....personally I am not fond of different endings and outcomes in game.
    I am a RPG player. Obviously; I am...
  • edited December 2010
    I actually enjoy QTE sequences when they are done right..
  • edited December 2010
    No quick time events ever.Horrible horrible design, made for bad consoles with bad controls.

I dont know about you, i wanna play a game, not a cinematic experience. game not movie, game.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.