Why this is not TTG biggest game...

edited December 2010 in Back to the Future
Im impressed some people are hailing this game as TTG's moving to the next level as a small gaming company to the big leagues. I believe that is utterly wrong. I am not saying signing a contract with Universal wasn't a smart move. Although Back To the Future is an iconic movie, to the mainstream gamers is a different story. Here are my reasons why it isn't TTG's biggest games.

3. Good and legendary movies hasnt translated into good and legendary games. Examples are Home Alone, Indiana Jones, Top Gun, ET, etc. All this movies are filled with crappy games, and although TTG has a good reputation of making good games, it can't escape the "lets watch and see how this game turns out". Even people will dismiss it because gaming companies make the big mistake of making a movie a game, without adding a new plot.

2. TTG is getting itself known right now to the mainstream media and gamers more with the signing of Universal. But it isn't in the eye of the gamers as is like companies like Blizzard, Activision, Bethesda.

1. TTG' biggest product is not BTTF but its as of now TOMI. I think that can be seen in the profits they have gained and also in the number of gamers it attracted once it was announced. This is how i got to know of TTG's existence and got me interested in their future games.

I have no doubt Back to the Future will be a great game and is one im looking forward to buy. It does have potential of being a bigger game than TOMI, but right now it's either a hit or a miss. But as we all know the consistency of TTG, i am sure this will be a hit.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Everlast wrote: »
    3. Good and legendary movies hasnt translated into good and legendary games. Examples are... Indiana Jones.

What?

IndyFateOfAtlantis_lucasarts.png
  • edited December 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    What?

Lol! I knew someone would highlight Fate of Atlantis. ut if you compare the rest of the games, its alot different. That game still stands out today as the best game made by Lucas Arts. Yet people keep hoping they return to the same formula of Fate of Atlantis, and they turned it first at a Laracroft imitation.
  • edited December 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    What?

I was just about to say... I brought this in for show and tell in the first grade and everyone loved it. Probably not the most age-appropriate thing now that I think about it...
  • edited December 2010
    I do not think that this is going to put TTG in the big leagues either but you are kidding yourself if you think that the Monkey Island franchise is bigger than Back to the Future... and or Jurassic Park.

Im pretty sure this is going to be their best seller.... but no its not going to put a dent in other franchise sales... Nico Bellic is not going to be pointing and clicking anytime soon for example.
  • edited December 2010
    Lol! I knew someone would highlight Fate of Atlantis. ut if you compare the rest of the games, its alot different.
    What ?
    A-Quickie-Guide-To-LucasArts-Classics-Arriving-On-Steam-Today.jpg
    Just kidding. I'm enthusiastic about this game because it's BTTF and it's Telltale. I have no clue if this game will be good or not, just hope. Christopher Lloyd is in it, the developers seems to be bigger fans than me. I think my hope is legitimate.

It's a good thing if Telltale doesn't go bankrupt, they make games as I like after all, so I'm glad if they earn some money of the games and turn it into a big company, enhance the graphics etc. My only preoccupation about them is that they don't turn too greedy like LucasArts did (personal opinion), and that they go on releasing games that are fun to play.
  • edited December 2010
    What about the Blade Runner game ?
  • edited December 2010
    I don't understand why people say Telltale is a small company. I mean yes they don't have as many employees as say Epic or Square Enix, but they have at least 50 people working at their studio. To me a small company implies they have less than 30 people.

On another topic I'm pretty sure they have enough people buying their games to be doing quite well. Otherwise how have they existed for the last six years, maintained a great track record as far as releasing games on time, and how were they able to procure licenses such as BTTF and Jurassic Park?

Lastly, there have been quite a few great games based on movies such as the aforementioned Fate of Atlantis. Some other examples include; Super Nintendo Star Wars games, Spider-Man 2, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and Chronicles of Riddick.
  • edited December 2010
    And I think that's all :D ...
    I don't understand why people say Telltale is a small company.
    I said it ^^ , and yes, it's all relative...
  • edited December 2010
    What about Goldeneye back on the N64? Still regarded as one of the all time greats. The Ghostbusters videogame did a pretty good job of staying true to the movie and there's been quite a few good games based on Star Wars over the years.

It's easy to rattle off half a dozen bad games based on movies but there's loads of good ones too and I'm in no doubt that Back to the Future will be among them.
  • edited December 2010
    3. Good and legendary movies hasnt translated into good and legendary games. Examples are Home Alone, Indiana Jones, Top Gun, ET, etc. All this movies are filled with crappy games, and although TTG has a good reputation of making good games, it can't escape the "lets watch and see how this game turns out". Even people will dismiss it because gaming companies make the big mistake of making a movie a game, without adding a new plot.

Movie-based games are generally bad because, as tie-in merchandise, they have to be released with the movie, but can't actually start development until the movie's a decent way into production, requiring a very rushed development time. This doesn't apply if the game in question is coming out a significant amount of time longer than the movie it was based on. GoldenEye for the N64 came out two years after GoldenEye the movie, for example. This game is coming out 20 years after BttF3, so I think this isn't an issue. :p
    2. TTG is getting itself known right now to the mainstream media and gamers more with the signing of Universal. But it isn't in the eye of the gamers as is like companies like Blizzard, Activision, Bethesda.

You're right, BttF won't make Telltale as well-known as the really big game companies, and realistically speaking, they never will be. It's no secret point-and-click adventure games are a niche market. Still, BttF is a big step forward for Telltale, and they're only going to get bigger from here.
    1. TTG' biggest product is not BTTF but its as of now TOMI. I think that can be seen in the profits they have gained and also in the number of gamers it attracted once it was announced. This is how i got to know of TTG's existence and got me interested in their future games.

Yes, ToMI is arguably Telltale's biggest release so far. Yes, it brought Telltale to a whole bunch of new people's attention. BttF is doing that already without even being released yet, though.

Also, just because the game introduced you to Telltale personally doesn't make it its biggest game. I mean, I was introduced to them through Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People. And I think most of us got introduced through Sam and Max.
  • edited December 2010
    I don't understand why people say Telltale is a small company. I mean yes they don't have as many employees as say Epic or Square Enix, but they have at least 50 people working at their studio. To me a small company implies they have less than 30 people.

Don't forget though....they have multiple projects running around the same time.
    I am sure a group of TTG is busy developing Jurassic Park.
    Same was the case with TellTale Poker Night. I heard 4 developers worked on that.
  • edited December 2010
    Why this is not TTG biggest game...

Usually how 'big' it is, is not determined by the quality of the game, but how succesful.
    I am sure that this will be TTG's most succesful project. It appeals to a bigger group of gamers and probably will sell the most copies relatively speaking.
  • edited December 2010
    I think it would be awesome if their next game is either Day of the Tentacle 2 or Fate of Atlantis 2.
    Indy + TTG = Epic
  • edited December 2010
    This doesn't apply if the game in question is coming out a significant amount of time longer than the movie it was based on.

There are always exceptions, there are good tie-ins released by the time a movie comes out, and there are crappy games based on the movies even if the movie was released a long time ago.

Here's a list of good/great games based on movies (some of them are based on something) from the top of my head:

Batman Returns (SNES and PC versions)
    The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
    The Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth
    Dune (the first one is based on a movie and is a GREAT game)
    Blade Runner
    Ghostbusters: The Video Game
    X-Men: Origins - Wolverine (THIS game is better than the movie it's based on)
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
    Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (Mind you, I'm NOT listing Infernal Machine game, because IM is pretty mediocre... Emperor's Tomb, on the other hand, is very good)
    Jurassic Park: Trespasser (Your mileage may vary on how successful the game was, but it's actually very good)
    Peter Jackson's King Kong
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Star Wars: Battlefront
    Star Wars: X-Wing
    Star Wars: TIE-Fighter
    Star Wars: Republic Commando
    Star Wars: Dark Forces
    Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
    Star Wars: Episode I - Racer
    Star Wars: *insert name here because I can't bother to type in the name of every good Star Wars games, SW games are the only thing that are mostly good in SW Expanded Universe :p *
    Spider-Man: The Movie
    Spider-Man 2: The Game (the console versions, PC version sucks)
    Tron 2.0
    The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
    etc.

See? I didn't even have to THINK or try hard to remember to list those games, and those are not the only good ones. There are many-many more, on different platforms (I'm mostly a PC-gamer, so...) Most of the ones I listed came as tie-ins set to be released along-side the movie. There will be always bad games, and there will be always good games, and not every movie has a crappy game based on it.
  • edited December 2010
    sk0rncobra wrote: »

What? Why?

Ubisoft:6400
    EA:8000
    Nintendo:4130
    Activision Blizzard: 6400
    Konami:5181
    Rockstar:1001-5000
    Capcom:1000-10000

On the smaller side:
    Valve:250
    Bungie:180
    Atari:280
    Id:170+

Telltale, last I heard, had 90ish employees. Even among the smaller big game companies, this is on the short side, let alone one that publishes their own stuff. Even Double Fine, which is very small, has roughly 60 people. We're talking a small game company, not an indie development group.
  • edited December 2010

The only thing is, all these are conglomerations of many smaller studios, each one usually having 100-500 employees (with only a few actually having 500-1500, those big ones are usually the central studios of the conglomeration)
  • edited December 2010
    There is one reason why this isnt the biggest selling game.
    There was no tf2 hats.
  • edited December 2010
    I just have had bad experience with games coming from movies. I dotn see any attraction playing a game that has the same plot as a movie. I believe if you are gonna make a game off from a movie it should expand from the universe. Sure there have been good games based off from movies, but my experience has been so bad i dont even look at em at all.

The difference in this game is because its TTG and they are really good making games. They are trying to grow as a company, and i like em because they have this familish feel and also closure with their fans, that very few companies manage to have. This game will do good and i have no doubt in that. I dont discard that it could be their biggest hit yet but, somehow the activity on this forum says otherwise if you compare how active TTG got after announcing TOMI.

TOMI is still the #1 hit from em, until they somehow find a way to make a game that puts them in the mainstream media constantly. I think TTG is looking for that, but with the conservative way they are playing, they will eventually hit it homerun with their fans. Because their fanbase continues to grow.
  • edited December 2010
    does no one remember aladdin for the snes
  • edited December 2010
    I remember the PC version (and it's a good game too, btw). PC version is the same as Genesis one, if I'm not mistaken. SNES one is different.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    You're correct.
    I have never played the PC/Genesis version much.
    The SNES one however I finished over 10 times.
    It helps that it's easy and not that long.
  • edited December 2010
    Everlast wrote: »
    Even people will dismiss it because gaming companies make the big mistake of making a movie a game, without adding a new plot.

Wait, what do you mean by this sentence? Because you know that the BTTF game has a new plot. Do you mean that other companies have this reputation?

Because I agree. The only recent good movie game I've played is Ghostbusters, and that has a new plot.
  • edited December 2010
    I thought the new Ghostbusters was pretty good. It kept me laughing.
  • edited December 2010
    I still have the genesis (megadrive in Austraia) version of Aladdin, its a great game.
  • edited December 2010
    I was never sure which Aladdin game I liked more. I thought the Genesis one was tougher though.
  • edited December 2010
    Strayth wrote: »

Well... a can tell you only one word:

unannouncednewblizzardmmo :)
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    I think it would be awesome if their next game is either Day of the Tentacle 2 or Fate of Atlantis 2.
    Indy + TTG = Epic

Dott would be too time-travel intensive (and therefore repetitive), but if they did Indy in the spirit of FOA (40's setting, multiple puzzle solutions and ways through the game), I'd be SO in the boat. I mean, your then to-be-done tributes alone would be awesome enough, but all the Indy fan art... including mine... ;)

Unfortunately, the next main TTG adventure game announcement will probably not be before end-2011 or beginning of 2012...
    GrimmGhost wrote: »
    Well... a can tell you only one word:

unannouncednewblizzardmmo :)

Oh, Blizzard. These guys are going to be interesting for me again as soon as they announce "The Lost Vikings 3". Until then, however... :(
  • edited December 2010
    Oh, Blizzard. These guys are going to be interesting for me again as soon as they announce "The Lost Vikings 3". Until then, however...

BROTHER!!! :D

(nah, but seriously, I don't care about StarCraft, WarCraft, Diablo, or practically anything that Blizzard did after it became, well, Blizzard. LOST VIKINGS RULE!!!!)
  • edited December 2010
    Oh, I didn't get it until now, there is a mini-game in Starcraft 2 called Lost Viking. But there is only the name that looks like Lost Vikings.
  • edited December 2010
    Another good game based on a movie was Die Hard Trilogy, at least I remember really liking it back in the day.
  • edited December 2010
    i think it would be awesome if their next game is either day of the tentacle 2
    Maniac

Mansion

• edited December 2010
    Maniac

Mansion

I really dislike the first maniac manson

I want the series to distance its self from the first game and be a spin off DOTT.
  • edited December 2010
    The first MM was good I liked it... But yeah DoTT really is a great game.
  • edited December 2010
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    What? Why?

On the smaller side:
    Valve:250
    Bungie:180
    Atari:280
    Id:170+

Telltale, last I heard, had 90ish employees. Even among the smaller big game companies, this is on the short side, let alone one that publishes their own stuff. Even Double Fine, which is very small, has roughly 60 people. We're talking a small game company, not an indie development group.

Unless Activision-Blizzard get more people to do projects and then fire them without paying them like they did with the Call of Duty guys.

:rolleyes: Activision.
    I really dislike the first maniac manson

I want the series to distance its self from the first game and be a spin off DOTT.

What was wrong with the first Maniac Mansion game? The NES game was butchered, but that was because of Nintendo's stupidity back then, and any game based off of DOTT would still be a Maniac Mansion game since DOTT was Maniac Mansion 2.
  • edited December 2010
    Huh... I never thought about it, but Maniac Mansion is a lot like Heavy Rain. Multiple protagonists, everyone can permanently die, no second chances, decisions affecting progression, multiple endings...
  • edited December 2010
    tredlow wrote: »
    Wait, what do you mean by this sentence? Because you know that the BTTF game has a new plot. Do you mean that other companies have this reputation?

Because I agree. The only recent good movie game I've played is Ghostbusters, and that has a new plot.

I mean that to make a game from a movie, must have for me a new plot that expands from the movie and enriches it. Ghostbuster is cool.

Indiana Jones would have more success if they where to adapt it more like FOA.
  • edited December 2010
    Maniac

Mansion

What? Oh, you're referring to Night of the Meteor.
  • edited December 2010
    Oops, off topic, sorry...
    Did you guys ever tried the Space Quest series? I put them at the same level as MM or MI, but with other background...

In SoMI (if I'm not wrong), you can find a telephone on a desert island. They may have stolen the idea from SQ1 (if I'm not wrong), you can find a mail box on a desert planet. You need it to order an item. Instant shipment (like in DotT) and you never paid the bill for it. In the next games, you are searched by androids because of this (in SQ5 they even send a killer android).

Edit: I loved that old concurrence on adventure games between Sierra and LucasArts. We saw Sonic on the Nintendo. Is it nonsense to hope for a Telltale SQ7? :o
  • edited December 2010
    2boumbh
    Actually, the telephone is in jungle in MI2, and the mailbox is on a jungle planet in SQ2. Also if you accidentally missed that spot, or didn't check the locker in the very beginning, you're screwed at the end. Though I like Space Quest and Sierra games, dead ends like these always bugged me.

Anyway, I wouldn't call that stealing. After all, Monkey Island are full of anachronisms, and Space Quest are full of pop culture references and just strange jokes.
  • edited December 2010
    boumbh wrote: »
    Edit: I loved that old concurrence on adventure games between Sierra and LucasArts. We saw Sonic on the Nintendo. Is it nonsense to hope for a Telltale SQ7? :o

Well, Telltale Games aren't exclusively based on LucasArts stuff, so a Space Quest 7 by them wouldn't be impossible.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.