"It's About Time" REVIEW thread

VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
edited June 2011 in Back to the Future
OK, all of you, post your impressions from the episodes - keep spoilers in tags for the moment. ;)

Comments

• edited December 2010
    This soon?!
  • edited December 2010
    Shouldn't you wait 4 hours to make a thread like this? Give people time to finish!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    I'll be sound asleep then. And when I'm up again... the forum will be overflooded with single review threads. Go play the game (I CAN'T!!), then come back and review. ;)
  • edited December 2010
    did you like it?? come on!!! I am just about to download!
  • edited December 2010
    Go play the game (I CAN'T!!)

Why not? Now I feel bad...

Who cares? I'm downloading BTTF!
  • edited December 2010
    Ill let you know the first 5 min reaction on this post when its done dling in 3 mins. ^^ Space saver. =D

Edit 1: 1st 5 Mins, HOLY COW! I LOVE the lead into the story! It will WOW you! Seeing a old element.. with a plot twist!
  • edited December 2010
    I'm staying off the forums, don't want anything to be ruined. :).

Later :D.

P.S.: Shall post impressions when finished.
  • edited December 2010
    This is the first game I have bought for around one decade, it had better be good! Just downloaded, verrrry excited.
  • edited December 2010
    Downloading now. Only a few minutes in and it's on 40% already.
  • edited December 2010
    First impressions: Qualtiy and loving it :-D

Swearword in first 5 mins was bit unexpected though!

SO glad this has finally arrived :-)
  • edited December 2010
    Once Telltale finally gets this released on Steam I will post my impressions.
  • edited December 2010
    I just checked out the first 5 mins of the game and it's EPIC!!!!
    It's an 7 year old computer I am running it on so I am going to stop playing it and rather wait on my laptop to play it on max graphic settings!!!

AGAIN! THE BEGINNING IS GREAT AND CINEMATIC!!
  • edited December 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    I just checked out the first 5 mins of the game and it's EPIC!!!!
    It's an 7 year old computer I am running it on so I am going to stop playing it and rather wait on my laptop to play it on max graphic settings!!!

AGAIN! THE BEGINNING IS GREAT AND CINEMATIC!! AND MOST OF ALL IT'S
    THE OLD DELOREAN!!!!!!
    [/QUOTE]

yeah i just played through the first 5 minutes! wow ,this feels more and more like what a BTTF part 4 could have been. i'm loving it.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    plz requote me otherwise I am spoiling something. Not that it would be big deal actually since it's revealed in the first minute.

Also like to add that the menu interface is just pure genious!
  • edited December 2010
    I liked the intro as well
    and I didn't remember the first question, but I couldn't forget the "you built a time machine out of a Delorean ?!" part. :P

Found funny that
    you can tell young Miss Strickland when she asks you what to say to the criminals: "make my day!" and then of course said my name is Harry Calahan. :D
  • edited December 2010
    Just started it, not remotely happy that while
    exploring Doc's lab
    , the game pops up with a hint telling me what to do despite hints being turned off. However I'm impressed that this is the first Telltale Game I can run at a graphics level above 5 while maintaining HD resolution
  • edited December 2010
    jaden551 wrote: »
    Just started it, not remotely happy that while
    exploring Doc's lab
    , the game pops up with a hint telling me what to do despite hints being turned off.
    That box goes away after that scene, if you turn it off in the options. For whatever reason, it's there by default through the Doc's lab scene.
  • edited December 2010
    Loving it so far. :D Just wish I wasnt at work tomorrow all day so i could finish it :'(
  • edited December 2010
    im re-downloading it now that the actual PC download link is up.
  • edited December 2010
    So hints always pop up in Docs lab do they?
  • edited December 2010
    Great production value. Only downside so far is Docs explaination for the Delorean.
  • edited December 2010
    Before I leave the forums, I'd just want to add that the soundtrack is great!!!
  • edited December 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    So hints always pop up in Docs lab do they?

Looks that way. They turn off after that scene (assuming you've turned them off in the settings).

So far I'm very pleased with the game. I do agree that Doc's explanation for the DeLorean is a bit weak, maybe they'll explain it later, but probably not. It is kind of funny that Marty never even bothered to ask where the DeLorean came from after he saw it get destroyed. Oh well, I haven't finished episode 1 yet so there's still time.

But ya, I love it so far. My only wish is that I had a better computer to run it on. My laptop does OK and I've got a decent balance of graphics and performance set on it right now, but it definitely chugs in some heavy graphical areas like when the DeLorean enters 1931. Oh well, I'll get to see it smooth once I buy the game for PS3.... Yes, I'm that much of a BttF nerd that I'll be buying the game twice. :p
  • edited December 2010
    So far it has been quite a bit too easy. It is extremely linear so far as well. Hopefully this improves throughout the game. As for voice acting and sound, it is fantastic.

I do notice a bit of a graphics bug that has been annoying since the very beginning. There seems to be a line/box around marty as I walk around. It goes away and comes back often.

All in all, I will wait to finish episode 1 for judgement, but I hope the difficulty/linearity gets better.
  • edited December 2010
    I'm enjoying the game so far and liking how the new story really does fit in with the style of the old films. The start sequence is an excellent way to draw in fans of the films instantly. From there it really looks like Telltale have made this follow the storyline of a Back To The Future film that never existed. Technically, the game is a bit jumpy in places where it is loading but I'll hopefully get that fixed in another topic. The old characters are depicted accurately and the new characters seem to fit in quite well although they are maybe a little bit exaggerated compared with the way old characters are presented. The animation is great; very smooth and I love the detail of what I have seen so far in the familiar yet new locations. Well done Telltale, you have a happy new customer and I just need to sort out these technical issues!

Enjoy the game everyone.
  • edited December 2010
    I am LOVING it, could not stop smiling at the beginning !
  • edited December 2010
    Finished!

Please make the other episodes harder even if it's with difficulty settings, or at least more open so that it seems harder. That's about my only issue, the rest is very nice. Young Doc is awesome!
  • edited December 2010
    Great Scott, I just finished it! It was too short but totally awesome, it had so many of those iconic scenes from the movies with a new twist, I was in heaven. :D Oh and the intro part, that was just brilliant!

One thing that was annoying was having those huge icons for the hint system even though I disabled it in the settings. I don't want hints.

Anyway, I can't wait for the next one. :)
  • edited December 2010
    awesome game so far. One problem is marty's character has a glitchy lines around him in the shape of a square or something its annoying to look at.
  • edited December 2010
    At the end it says

Get Tannen
    February 2010

We all need Deloreans to Go back in time to get the next episode :D
  • edited December 2010
    I figured that meant the Telltale team finished the game in February 2011, and went back one year to 2010 so that we could have it as soon as we finished episode 1!

...But it's not there on my downloads page. :C
  • edited December 2010
    As a true "Back to the Future" game, it succeeds, in all aspects. I'm lovin the story so far. The only problems i see is there is a bit of clipping with character models, some misspellings ( He'l ) and the fact that it states that the 2nd episode should already be out ("Episode 2: Coming February 2010" during the credits )

Other than those minor gripes, it's another milestone for TellTale.
  • edited December 2010
    I haven't noticed any graphical errors here, other than on one ocassion Marty was moving before his legs did. Perhaps I've been too engrossed into the story that I hadn't noticed, but i did pump up all the graphics settings.

Loved the story too, some scenes parralelled the orginal movies in some ways too - definately works well as a point and click adventure. Well done Telltale games!!

Makes me want to go back and play Tales of Monkey Island all over again too.
  • edited December 2010
    Here are my notes when playing Bttf Episode 1. Valuable feedback I hope :D.

* Spiffy new launcher.
    * Yay. Advanched graphics controls. But what does this new goal pop-up mean? Off!
    * Yes, Off!
    * Looks sweet. And for the swear folks, there's shit there! XP
    * I put them off, damnit! Or maybe it's just there for tutorial's sake?
    * Wait, there's 4 hintlevels (on 0 now) and a big HINT button? Isn't that... kind of overdoing it?
    * Sqaure? First typo found!
    * Oh darn it. Off you damn goal thingies.
    * Have you looked at...? Is that a hint I hint there? Didn't I put *them* off as well?
    * That textbox is getting on my nerves.
    * FINALLY no text blocking my screen.
    * Why tell me to use the guitar with the amplifier? Tutorial still?
    * Lion cub picture! XD
    * And the Devil's Toybox. Hehe...
    * Didn't they fixed the frozen thingie when the Mr. Fusion thrash stuff got installed? So why does this one do both? Or do I have my BttF-skills mixed up?
    * I "suppose" they are all 3 well-known names. None ring a bell for me though.
    * Gah, building entering without building entering. Hasn't become more fun since 301 :(.
    * Why do I get the feeling Doc failed with another episode called 'Get Tannen'?
    * "Are you his lawyer?" lacks VO.
    * MI2 reference :D
    * chatwithdoc.th.jpg
    (Talking to Doc when he is about to enter a building. The Lawyer shop in this case.)
    * Didn't even have half the convo's with Kid before going the one that progressed the story. Replay I gues...
    * Hehe, using the recorder on doc after solving the puzzle :D.
    * Hmmm, during the second 'chase' with Tannen (the second time) some lip synch happens without stuff being said. Might be because I used escape and messed up the timing, but that doesn't explain it after Einstein saves me.
    * Can't believe how long it took me to understand the labratory puzzle. I suck with adventure games 0_0.
    * Well, finding the keys (tire iron side) EXIT no longer functions. Since I can't use the keys and no other hotspot are there, it's reload time :(. Couldn't replicate it after loading the auto-save though. Odd.
    * No subs for the 'next time in?' Would be nice next time...
    * Well, that was it for ep. 1. Still quite easy. Many puzzles taking place on 1 or 2 different sets only doesn't really help there. But it's ep. 1 of course, gotta start easy for the new guys. So we'll see...
  • edited December 2010
    Is it me, or is the viewing restrictive, thats my only complaint so far with the game.
  • edited December 2010
    I am a big big fan of BTTF and would like to say Telltale, you have done me proud :) Only abit through the first episode but i can tell you guys have kept the fans in mind right from the start.
  • edited December 2010
    I really enjoyed it. It was absolutely true to the spirit of the films. The puzzles were pretty easy, but they were also clever, if that makes any sense.
  • edited December 2010
    Just finished it, thought it was great. Can't wait until February. However, I agree with Hassat Hunter that hints, a big hint button, not to mention a full walk through already posted on telltale's site is overdoing it just a bit.
  • edited December 2010
    As a sound designer, I felt the audio lacking in various parts, making it somewhat none-enjoyable.
    When he use the rocket drill on the prison, there is no sound of it drilling, there is no sound of it starting even or when it (rockets) bursts
    I'm not fond of the over compressed voice files either, making it sound like a cheap audio engine. Voice files missing here and there like
    Emmet's father yelling EMMET doesn't play but I see it in the subtitles and Doc reacts to it

Gameplay wise it was too short and easy, it was fun, but lacking.
  • edited December 2010
    Welp, just finished it; thought it was a great experience and it truly stays true and accurate to the BTTF films.

I saw many references,
    Referencing to BTTF2 with the 'Wild Gunman' machine when you enter the arcade, in the end when you rescue Doc from Kid Tannen, you have a frisbee that you throw at Kid to get his gun out of his hand, just like in BTT3. Also in the end when Kid crashes, he crashes in the manure truck and says "SHIIIIII-

The courthouse is magnificently detailed and the cartoon style graphics, in my opinion, does absolute wonders to the game's environment and it suits specifically BTTF very well. Young Doc is exactly how I imagined it to be, I also had a soft spot when
    Marty told to truth to Young Doc when he said he wasn't from the U.S. Patent Office for his Rocket-drill invention, that almost got me a bit torn up :(

AJ LoCascio is spot on with Marty McFly/MJF's voice, Chris Lloyd like many of the TTG staff have said, he had fitted into the character right back to where he was 25 years ago. Truly magnificent.

Very happy and a massive BTTF fan.

1000 out of 10! Loved it, and am looking forward to February.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.