Plotholes/ continuity errors/ anachronisms in the game (spoilers!)

18910111214»

Comments

• edited September 2011
    First, young Emmett's lab was STILL in the garage, not a basement.

Secondly, we don't know why the mansion burned down. It might have just been a freak accident that didnt have anything to do with Doc's experiments.

And finally, in the game Doc says that he and Clara maintain "part-time residence" there.
  • edited September 2011
    This is a bit of nitpicking I admit but in retrospect its something that bugs me...

So Citizen Brown, upon arriving in 1931 with Marty, assumes the Carl Sagan identity of Original Doc...and everyone accepts him as such.

Which is all well and fine...EXCEPT that people would have wondered how Carl Sagan had suddenly become so OLD...

Let me explain...Doc's age in 1986, as per the Game's chronology, would be around 71-72. Original Doc will be considerably older than that as per his personal timeline (since he spent at least ten years in the Old West). Yet, he would look only about 40-ish because of his trip to the rejuvenation clinic on his first trip to 2015 which added '30-40 years' to his life.

Now, Citizen Brown was YOUNGER than Original Doc as per his personal timeline (since he didn't do any time travelling and was thus 71-72 in 1986), however, since he didn't go to the rejuvenation clinic, he would look MUCH older than Original Doc did.

Indeed, Citizen Brown's did visually look a lot older than Original Doc.

So didn't anyone notice the difference in age?
  • edited September 2011
    Being that both have the same facial characteristics and nobody knows him closely -he's the "mysterious Mr. Sagan", as Trixie put it-, nobody would know the difference, except for the missing hair, of course.
  • edited September 2011
    I think people just forgot about him. After all, in Episode 4, Edna freely admits that no one cares about Carl Sagan anymore.
  • edited September 2011
    Hadn't it been a few months with literally no one seeing him in between?

Plus BTTF2 even makes the joke that he looks more or less identical despite the treatment.
  • edited September 2011
    All the answers are valid. Thanks.

Yea, BTTF2 made the joke that he looked the same. But actually that's because the old age make-up on Christopher Lloyd didn't really make him look 30 years older. But in the Game, the animators were able to make Citizen Brown look considerably older.
  • edited September 2011
    They did? The only thing I noticed was the hair.
  • edited September 2011
    They did? The only thing I noticed was the hair.

He had far more wrinkles, and a generally more aged appearance.

Basically, Original Doc (and the New Doc in Ep 5) could easily pass for being around 40 or 50 (at most) except for the white hair...Citizen Brown was easily 70-ish.
  • edited September 2011
    Well... actually the original Carl Sagan Doc is actually about 90. He went to the rejuvenation clinic at age 70 (BttF2) and was a parent for about 17-20 years. He does mention in the 1930's prison that both of his and Clara's kids are now about to go to college.

First Citizen Brown is about 70... minus the rejuvenation therapy.
  • In the movies 1985 doc looks much older than 50 but anyways as stated the rejuvination clinic doesnt really change his looks.

I like FCB is designed too look more like christopher lloyd now but the facial expressions and natural features should be the same as old docs.
  • edited September 2011
    chenbaiwan wrote: »
    Well... actually the original Carl Sagan Doc is actually about 90. He went to the rejuvenation clinic at age 70 (BttF2) and was a parent for about 17-20 years. He does mention in the 1930's prison that both of his and Clara's kids are now about to go to college.

First Citizen Brown is about 70... minus the rejuvenation therapy.

I agree Original Doc would be MUCH older than Citizen Brown...though how much older depends on how long it has been from his POV since the events of BTTF3.

If his and Clara's kids are indeed about to go to college, then I suppose he might be closer to 90 chronology, though only about 40-50 in appearance.

Fact is FCB Doc WOULD look older (and in fact DID), despite being younger along his personal timeline.
  • edited September 2011
    Well... that depends on whether or not Carl Sagan Doc kept using the rejuvenation clinic to keep him looking like age 40-50. In either case he sounds the same (although that could be attributed to Christopher Lloyd and his actual age).

Of course... if nothing else... the only person who seems to have really gotten a good look at him at both age appearances in the 1930's was Edna... and the first time she probably got a good look at him, he was probably behind bars...

... or maybe the only information she got was from the police, therefore she would only get to have a good look at First Citizen Brown.
  • edited April 2012
    Origami wrote: »
    ^
    Because it's obvious Biff never changed. It was just a mask. He is still the bully he has always been. The game just establishes that Biff drops his mask as soon as George is not around.

but george IS around at the beginning of the game, in fact he's only behind biff
  • but george IS around at the beginning of the game, in fact he's only behind biff

He assumes george isn't looking, as soon as George pipes up, Biff wussies up again. in the only 2 scenes of the lone pine timeline in the trilogy we see how he acts when he thinks there's no mcfly around (seeing the flying delorean and when he doesn't recognize marty). And of course he does show his true colours in 2015. Again he's still likely afraid of george (when Marty thinks he's talking about george being a loser in 2015, Biff immediately dismisses it).
  • edited April 2012
    Masta23 wrote: »
    I don't understand why Doc got erased straightaway?
    I get that Doc never would have gone to that rejuvenation clinic, therefore he wouldn't have lived as long as he did. In the case of old Biff in BTTF 2 (if you watched the deleted scene), he didn't erase straight away. He appears wounded for about a minute whilst time is catching up. Why was Doc's disappearance instantaneous?

i think biff was feeling himself getting shot when he went back to 2015 but FCB doc will die of old age and will possibly be painless hence him not being in pain at the end of episode 2
  • edited September 2012
    Can someone explain to me why after Doc's timeline gets messed up causing him to marry Edna, never become a scientist and create the dystopian Hill Valley, thus never inventing the time machine, does the time machine continue to exist?
  • edited September 2012
    tsumineko wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why after Doc's timeline gets messed up causing him to marry Edna, never become a scientist and create the dystopian Hill Valley, thus never inventing the time machine, does the time machine continue to exist?
    phase theory when 2 timelines cross into existance with each other parts of themselves will exist in the other for a short time like how Marty exists with his memory when he shouldn't. its also know as a paradox. as to what happens when they phase out from that time is unknown they could go into the nothing that is outside of time or they could go back to there original time line. however seeing as Marty is still in a time parallel to his im still wondering if the time machine its self my have some side effects for them to stay in parallels that are vary close to there own but not strong enuf for them to exist long in other parallels yet. seeing as Marty was able to exist but doc wasn't so my thinking is that Marty was in the time machine longer than doc.
    edit: i mean Marty was in the time machine longer than doc seeing as its only been about less 3 months for Marty the side effect would still be vary strong. doc however would have used it sparingly in 20 years or so seeing as he try's his best not to destroy the time line he most likely stays years in each timeline thus the side effect would grow weaker over the years only to get a bit stronger when he go to another time line but not by much. makes sense to me anyway.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited September 2012
    I agree with the phasing timelines theory. It coincides with Bob Zemeckis' explanation of the ripple effect where a change in time makes a ripple which takes longer to catch up to those at the longest point of the timestream. The people at the outer regions of the ripple would be time travellers that aren't immediately affected by the changes. This explains how Marty didn't immediately gain the memories of Citizen Brown Marty and it also explains how Citizen Brown was able to invent the flux capacitor and install it in the DeLorean before the DeLorean faded out.

Doc disappeared since he wouldn't live to be around 100 without the rejeuvenation treatments. He never invented the time machine, but he did write down the plans for the flux capacitor in 1955 as evidenced by the fact that they are still in his notebook. The DeLorean itself exists in the Citizen Brown timeline since it was built by the DeLorean Motor Company and not Doc. All of the glass tubing, wires, and other gizmos such as the Mr. Fusion still exist because they were not invented by Doc but were purchased by Doc either in the 1980's or the 2010's, respectively. The future gizmos do exist in that timeline since Marty and Jennifer exist in the future in Back to the Future Part II despite the fact that past Marty and Jennifer hadn't yet returned back home, it shows that the future already exists (hence Doc's speech at the end of Back to the Future Part III "the future isn't written yet" is more like "you haven't yet lived the future in this timeline, so you can write it as you wish). The only thing that doesn't exist is the flux capacitor, which Doc Brown invented (although the tubing and the casing of the Flux Capacitor would still exist as they were bought by Doc at a store, not invented by him). So, Marty had a limited time to get to Citizen Brown and convince him to fix the time machine so the timestream would repair itself.

The paradox was the fact that there was a time machine without an Emmett Brown to invent it. Since Emmett Brown did exist in the alternate 1985 as Citizen Brown, the ripple affecting the DeLorean moved slower as the DeLorean wasn't immediately affected by the changes.

After that, the DeLorean was able to exist for months after that without fading out because once the changes were made to the timeline, the timestream was repaired. Marty still wouldn't have gained the memories of Citizen Brown Marty at that point (or have been replaced by him) as it was just Citizen Brown (and the DeLorean) that lived an extra few months outside of the regular 1931 timeline.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.