Plotholes/ continuity errors/ anachronisms in the game (spoilers!)

Comments

• edited April 2011
    If the pages of the book are fading from existence, why isn't the DeLorean itself fading?

That Delorean is a temporal duplicate, therefore in technicality, it shouldn't exist at all! But because it was made by twists in by the flux capacitor.... fluxing improperly, then it's not bound by normal temporal mechanics.

(or maybe it's been fading out gradually while not on camera)
  • edited April 2011
    Well, I can only assume that the car came from a different timeline then the alternate timeline shouldn't affect it. Also, if the car would fade out, then Marty would fade out, because if the DeLorean was never made, then Marty would never get to that timeline in the first place.

The whole series is full of time paradoxes, and is basically a complete mess if you dive deep into it.

"Snake, you can't go around changing the future like that!"
  • edited April 2011
    Seems totally messed up to me. So Edna married Doc who became a totally different person. Just got the part where Marty met "Citizen" Brown.
    Why doesn't Doc remember Marty from 1931?
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Gelbs wrote: »

55 years is a looooong time... and Citizen Brown already knows this timeline's Martin McFly, so the most logical assumption for Brown is that Martin has gone a bit whack, not that a guy he met in 1931 has time travelled to an alternate future.
  • edited April 2011

Are you asking why he doesn't remember "Harry/Sonny/Michael" from 1931? Note that Emmett only met him once when he was seventeen and fifty five years have passed since then. Do you really think that someone would remember an acquaintance for over fifty years?
  • edited April 2011
    Nekoai-kun wrote: »
    Meh, his Honor is upset, his speech is messed up. Don't you mis-speak when you're angry?
    Sure do but in that phrase 1) he had a calm angry tone (except for the word "spark", he was totally loud there heh), his speech wasn't fast 2) do you really want to tell me that of all the things you can mis-speak when angry, it's your own name that you mess up? ... oh, c'mon! XD It's clear. The voice actor didn't know or forgot the right pronunciation and TellTale probably didn't notice or if they did they shrugged it off since it's not important. Seriously, don't find excuses for them. I know you are a fan but you can laugh about these things you know! They are funny! :D
    Would you remember a guy met twice for a few hours over 50 years ago?
  • edited April 2011
    I noticed that Marty seams to be playing his guitar standing up but without a guitar strap. Apparently it just hovers there in front of him.
    Even if he held on to it, as soon as he would move his hand on the fretboard he would drop it.
    Also where does he carry it when hes not playing it?
    Its not in the golf cart, he just pulls it out when talking to Citizien Brown in his office.
    Ok, now here's an inconsistency that blows my mind from episode 2 to episode 3. Marty returns from 1931 in a hurry. He naturally wears his neat 1931 suit. He crashes into the billboard in 1986, and ta-dah, magically wears his 1986 clothes?!?

/edit: Damn, that wasn't an inconsistency. He changes those in the end sequence of episode 2, still in 1931.

Why does Marty change his clothes while Doc is driving him home after arriving in Tannen-Mafia-1986 though?
    George already saw him wearing the 1931 stuff earlier, wouldnt be weird for him to come back home with them.
    I guess Telltale just figured that if Marty doesnt wear his life preserver people wouldnt understand that Marty is back to where he came from. :rolleyes:
  • edited April 2011
    Ok, so Ep3 - Doc's timeline has been erased. So why when Marty looks at the photo in Citizen Brown's office to convince him, he sports original Marty (himself) and original (Sagan) Doc in the background? Marty would still be there, but Doc (Sagan doc) should have been erased from that picture as Doc's timeline is erased?
  • edited April 2011
    technically if doc hooked up with edna like how he did in episode 3 marty should have disappeared too and became mr.goodie twoshoes. But if that happened we wouldn't have a story.
  • edited April 2011
    techie775 wrote: »
    technically if doc hooked up with edna like how he did in episode 3 marty should have disappeared too and became mr.goodie twoshoes. But if that happened we wouldn't have a story.

No, because Marty was traveling in the delorian. Goodie Twoshoes Marty does exist in Ep3, he's just not in town, George says so - it's the same as what happens in the other films (when Marty travels to the Biffhoric timeline in BTTF2 he doesn't disappear, and the Biffhoric's Marty is in Switzerland). So it makes sense for Marty to be in that photo, but Sagan Doc should have been erased, as Sagan Doc didn't travel in the delorian with Marty to the Ep3 1985, thus deleting his timeline. As they've made such a point of photos being erased in the story up to now, I'm really surprised that they've left that plot hole in there, unless they're planning on explaining it somehow in future episodes.
  • edited April 2011
    No, because Marty was traveling in the delorian. Goodie Twoshoes Marty does exist in Ep3, he's just not in town, George says so - it's the same as what happens in the other films (when Marty travels to the Biffhoric timeline in BTTF2 he doesn't disappear, and the Biffhoric's Marty is in Switzerland). So it makes sense for Marty to be in that photo, but Sagan Doc should have been erased, as Sagan Doc didn't travel in the delorian with Marty to the Ep3 1985, thus deleting his timeline. As they've made such a point of photos being erased in the story up to now, I'm really surprised that they've left that plot hole in there, unless they're planning on explaining it somehow in future episodes.

I figured it was because we had only seen photos from the current time erase while in the past. Since Doc didn't disappear until he got to 1986 then he did exist in the past, thus why he was still in the photo.
  • edited April 2011
    Ok so my understanding is, Doc Browns book exists because it would (or its alternate universe counterpart) still exist, but the writing itself would not since "Doc" Brown didnt write in it. The flux capacitor drawing exists because both doc and FCB drew it and interpreted it in different ways. The Delorean should exist intact because the same delorean should also have a counterpart in that reality to validate it. The bells and whistles however are harder to explain but the likelihood is that since the invention of time travel is still a possibility those items can still exist providing they get invented in the future (mr fusion etc) in the same way marty can exist and roam around say 1955 despite not being invented(conceived) yet ;).

Now Doc existing in 1931 despite the timeline having scewed puzzled me a bit. When it comes to people, like objects in BTTF logic seems to be if you have a counterpart in an alternate timeline you can exist alongside them (or as them - not sure) but if you alter it to the point that you end your own existence or in Docs case cut it short since his life will have ended sooner due to not having the rejuvination treatment. The FCB timeline may have seen Doc off as soon as he arrived in 1986 but technically (and this is were it really starts to become paradox city) that reality's existence is dependant on choices and actions that Doc Brown made in 1931 (Messing with the radio to control the car and send Kid flying into the arms of the law, meeting with Arthur McFly to arrange a meet with Trixie, getting Einstein off the roof, and all his interactions with Marty in altering the timestream) so in this sense Doc HAS to exist in that previous time point otherwise that alternate timeline could never occur.
  • edited April 2011
    Great Scott! I think he hit the nail on the head there! Obviously the time stream protects certain things from vanishing, otherwise the DeLorean would've stopped working when Marty and Doc arrived in Biff-oriffic 1985A because the Emmett Brown of THAT timeline was in an institution. Crazy as it may sound, it seems like the time stream goes to lengths to allow Marty and Doc to fix what they've broken.
  • edited April 2011
    Here's a non-time travel one for you all.

Based on the self-tour boxes narrated by Edna you can find around the city, it's clear that Citizen Brown's methods haven't caught on in most other parts of the world as of yet. But people are secretly unhappy in Hill Valley. Why don't they just leave and go to any other normal city? It seems pretty clear that no one is being kept there as a prisoner.
  • edited April 2011
    And one about Edna:

How did the Citizen Plus watches gain the functions they have? It's been established that Citizen Brown isn't evil, and seemed shocked when he learned of the watches' true function: to take away free will from the unwilling. So if Citizen Brown didn't invent the technology that makes it all work, who did? What does Edna know about science?
  • edited April 2011
    Not sure if it is considered a plothole. More a dialogue sequence opportunity missed.
    George told Marty that he sent video's with the not so happy Hill Valley peeps to the PR office or something with a thank you letter from Citizen Brown.
    So how come, when Marty tells Citizen Brow that the citizens weren't happy, there wasn't an option like:"Didn't you see the video's my father sent to your PR office? You gave him a TY note after all"
  • edited April 2011
    Not sure if it is considered a plothole. More a dialogue sequence opportunity missed.
    George told Marty that he sent video's with the not so happy Hill Valley peeps to the PR office or something with a thank you letter from Citizen Brown.
    So how come, when Marty tells Citizen Brow that the citizens weren't happy, there wasn't an option like:"Didn't you see the video's my father sent to your PR office? You gave him a TY note after all"

Edna implies that she deals with those matters so that FCB doesn't have to. in other words, Edna kept getting and distroying/erasing the tapes, thus causeng FCB to remain ignorent and Edna to remain in power.
  • edited April 2011
    sVybDy wrote: »
    Here's a non-time travel one for you all.

Based on the self-tour boxes narrated by Edna you can find around the city, it's clear that Citizen Brown's methods haven't caught on in most other parts of the world as of yet. But people are secretly unhappy in Hill Valley. Why don't they just leave and go to any other normal city? It seems pretty clear that no one is being kept there as a prisoner.

Good question, I think the idea is that people have become demoralized and subordinated by the methods FCB and Edna have introduced to the point that while some are apologetic about the regime (George, Biff(!)) and others critical/rebellious, they are all reduced to children - under the spell of having this one great father figure that looks after them, despite resenting them you always fear them and the consequences of rebelling. And while they may criticize quietly in groups they are afraid to leave or question openly and the dominating opinion is that any place or system outside FCB Hill Valley being better off is "Subversive Nonsense". The level of influence on the people shows in George when he says the above, despite hearing the comments on the tapes and the fact that two of his children have 'bailed' on him.
  • edited April 2011
    sVybDy wrote: »
    And one about Edna:

How did the Citizen Plus watches gain the functions they have? It's been established that Citizen Brown isn't evil, and seemed shocked when he learned of the watches' true function: to take away free will from the unwilling. So if Citizen Brown didn't invent the technology that makes it all work, who did? What does Edna know about science?

Doc invented the watch and how it reads the wearers mind, and makes them sick when thinking bad things (he was playing around with mind reading in the movie, I thought that was cool how they took that and made it into the watch), but Edna added the mindless zombie part behind his back. And living with him all those years I'm sure she picked up a little bit of science know how.
  • edited April 2011
    Why does Marty care so much about the citizen's fate when he knows it's just necessary to travel back in time and fix the timeline?
    I mean why does he care about Jennifer so much... or his parents? He just needs Doc's help to repair the time machine and can forget about anything in this timeline. I mean, he already faced Hell Valley in 1985A and knows what to do.
  • edited April 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    Why does Marty care so much about the citizen's fate when he knows it's just necessary to travel back in time and fix the timeline?
    I mean why does he care about Jennifer so much... or his parents? He just needs Doc's help to repair the time machine and can forget about anything in this timeline. I mean, he already faced Hell Valley in 1985A and knows what to do.

I thought about this as well when in Ep. 3. It's kinda odd, but I guess you can't just turn off your feelings like that. Try imagine yourself in his shoes, I think it's hard to convince you brain that these people aren't just your parents/girlfriend/friend in different clothing.
  • edited April 2011
    D-e-l-o-r-e-a-n
  • edited April 2011
    I don't know if this has been mentioned but the Delorean in the dream sequence at the start of Episode 1 has the Mr. Fusion gadget attached. Surely it shouldn't be there?
  • edited April 2011
    It's been mentioned. Basically, they use the same DeLorean model period. To fully recreate that scene would've required a separate model. That's a lot of cheese. :p
  • edited April 2011
    This is really more about the movie than the game, but I always wondered why in BTTF 2 they made a huge deal out of trying to avoid your future/past self because it can cause a time paradox, yet Biff was able to go back to 1955 and have a nice long conversation with his younger self with no problems whatsoever. That always confused me.
  • edited April 2011
    jwalker30 wrote: »
    This is really more about the movie than the game, but I always wondered why in BTTF 2 they made a huge deal out of trying to avoid your future/past self because it can cause a time paradox, yet Biff was able to go back to 1955 and have a nice long conversation with his younger self with no problems whatsoever. That always confused me.

Old Biff didn't reveal who he was or interfered with any important event his younger self had to do.

Doc was worried about the effects of interfering with a younger/older self, while the other self's aware. It could cause the self who hasn't made a particular action, relevant to the older self's future, to go in a different plan of action, meaning unwanted alterations in the Future and possible paradoxes. (e.g: 1985 Jennifer fainting from the shock of seeing 2015 Jennifer, hitting her head on the concrete, dying and never becoming 2015 Jennifer).
  • edited April 2011
    While I'm loving Episode 3 so far, there's been one thing thats been bugging me.

Marty and Doc have never been affected by timeline changes to the present day (1985/86). They always remain themselves. And they certainly don't dissapear out of the Delorean when they arrive.

When they went to the alternate 1985 where Biff ruled in BttF 2, Doc didn't dissapear and go to the mental institution where he was supposedly "committed".

Also, if Doc became citizen Brown, why didn't Marty become the big nerd? I realize it's a game and blah blah and I'm still enjoying it, but this was buggin' me.
  • edited April 2011
    MJLahey wrote: »
    While I'm loving Episode 3 so far, there's been one thing thats been bugging me.

Marty and Doc have never been affected by timeline changes to the present day (1985/86). They always remain themselves. And they certainly don't dissapear out of the Delorean when they arrive.

When they went to the alternate 1985 where Biff ruled in BttF 2, Doc didn't dissapear and go to the mental institution where he was supposedly "committed".

Also, if Doc became citizen Brown, why didn't Marty become the big nerd? I realize it's a game and blah blah and I'm still enjoying it, but this was buggin' me.

It's been said/suggested somewhere that the original Doc, was upwards of 90+ years old from time traveling and that he would be dead if not for the visits to the 2015 rejuvenation clinic to replace his liver, heart, blood, ect. And that because that never happened, he died, doesn't exist and so he fades out almost immediately, to be replaced by citizen brown. In a deleted scene Biff fades out very quickly too once returning from a trip that caused his early death.
  • edited April 2011
    Iggman88 wrote: »
    It's been said/suggested somewhere that the original Doc, was upwards of 90+ years old from time traveling and that he would be dead if not for the visits to the 2015 rejuvenation clinic to replace his liver, heart, blood, ect. And that because that never happened, he died, doesn't exist and so he fades out almost immediately, to be replaced by citizen brown. In a deleted scene Biff fades out very quickly too once returning from a trip that caused his early death.

I'm not agree with that theory... In this timeline Doc NOT invented the Time Machine even so the DeLorean's existence itself should be in danger and should be vanishes as well.

In fact NOT inventing the time machine it's a super-paradox that could destroy ALL the Universe... or part of it. :p

The BTTF plot is tricky in that way. Old Biff vanishes when he creates the alternate timeline but Doc, Marty, Einstein, the Delorean isn't... but this scene is a deleted one so... Telltale guys misunderstood the mechanics of "auto-regulating" timeline in the movies?

In 2015a Marty-A was in Switzerland and Doc-A condemned in an asylum. No way the original Marty and Doc could meet with alternative theirselves who exists along with the originals, as I see.

In the game should occurs the same thing... I hope. If not, the original Doc vanishing in the game would be senseless.
  • edited April 2011
    I feel that the timestream isn't completely helpless and it has some ways of trying to prevent paradoxes. Vanishing the Delorean would mean that nothing that currently exists due to the involved time travel could've happened, so therefore, the Delorean DIDN'T vanish. This is the first timeline change that has affected the Delorean's existence, don't forget that.
  • edited April 2011
    I feel that the timestream isn't completely helpless and it has some ways of trying to prevent paradoxes. Vanishing the Delorean would mean that nothing that currently exists due to the involved time travel could've happened, so therefore, the Delorean DIDN'T vanish. This is the first timeline change that has affected the Delorean's existence, don't forget that.

Really? How was the DeLorean affected? I think most of it was Marty's fault.

The reason Doc never vanished before was in the movies, he was still of a good age. In the game, he's over 90. Remember, he went to 2015 in the first place to see the future and look beyond his years. Therefore, he technically wouldn't exist if an Emmett Brown never time traveled. Hence why he vanished when the time machine arrived in 1986. If Marty hadn't initiated temporal displacement, Doc would've started slowly fading out like Marty did.

As to why nothing happened to the time machine itself...the time machine seems to have some way of protecting itself from changes in the time line, possibly a side effect of the flux capacitor. Hence why it didn't vanish even though 1985A's Doc was locked in an asylum well before he would've completed the time machine.
  • edited April 2011
    Really? How was the DeLorean affected? I think most of it was Marty's fault.

The reason Doc never vanished before was in the movies, he was still of a good age. In the game, he's over 90. Remember, he went to 2015 in the first place to see the future and look beyond his years. Therefore, he technically wouldn't exist if an Emmett Brown never time traveled. Hence why he vanished when the time machine arrived in 1986. If Marty hadn't initiated temporal displacement, Doc would've started slowly fading out like Marty did.

As to why nothing happened to the time machine itself...the time machine seems to have some way of protecting itself from changes in the time line, possibly a side effect of the flux capacitor. Hence why it didn't vanish even though 1985A's Doc was locked in an asylum well before he would've completed the time machine.

let's just face the fact that even the creators of the movies and the game do not always stick to the rules they establish. when it comes to interesting story twists or cliffhangers story is more important than sense.

somehow this is sad. I am still sure you can have both: cliffhangers and an interesting story twist that STICK to the rules you have established.

in BTTF they never decided whether timetravel does also affect the timetraveller itself OR not. it jumps from YES to NO. depending on what they like to tell.
    BTTF I: Marty prevents his own birth - he starts to vanish > affected
    BTTF I: Marty changes the lifestyle of his parents - he still remembers the old timeline. > not affected
    BTTF II: Biff creates a timeline where he is already dead - he starts to fade away > affected but not the Delorean. Even Doc & Marty which are now in the role of everyone else in the universe do not change :confused:
    BTTF III: Marty prevents Doc from being shot - the tombstone vanishes but Marty doesn't > not affected

BTTF:TG E-01: Marty prevents Doc from being shot but he doesn't fade away back to the future. > not affected
    BTTF:TG E-01: Marty prevents the birth of his father and thus himself. He starts to fade out > affected
    BTTF:TG E-02: Marty and Doc power Kid Tannen and establish 1986A. They still remember the old timeline of 1986. > not affected
    BTTF:TG E-02: Marty and Doc prevent Doc from inventing the time-machine and getting a rejuvenation. Doc vanishes. > affected
    The Delorean and Marty stay. > not affected

It is how it is. We can just INVENT rules that can explain all that with more or less sense. In fact I think it would have been better to stick to one theory from the very beginning.
  • edited April 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    let's just face the fact that even the creators of the movies and the game do not always stick to the rules they establish. when it comes to interesting story twists or cliffhangers story is more important than sense.

somehow this is sad. I am still sure you can have both: cliffhangers and an interesting story twist that STICK to the rules you have established.

in BTTF they never decided whether timetravel does also affect the timetraveller itself OR not. it jumps from YES to NO. depending on what they like to tell.
    BTTF I: Marty prevents his own birth - he starts to vanish > affected
    BTTF I: Marty changes the lifestyle of his parents - he still remembers the old timeline. > not affected
    BTTF II: Biff creates a timeline where he is already dead - he starts to fade away > affected but not the Delorean. Even Doc & Marty which are now in the role of everyone else in the universe do not change :confused:
    BTTF III: Marty prevents Doc from being shot - the tombstone vanishes but Marty doesn't > not affected

BTTF:TG E-01: Marty prevents Doc from being shot but he doesn't fade away back to the future. > not affected
    BTTF:TG E-01: Marty prevents the birth of his father and thus himself. He starts to fade out > affected
    BTTF:TG E-02: Marty and Doc power Kid Tannen and establish 1986A. They still remember the old timeline of 1986. > not affected
    BTTF:TG E-02: Marty and Doc prevent Doc from inventing the time-machine and getting a rejuvenation. Doc vanishes. > affected
    The Delorean and Marty stay. > not affected

It is how it is. We can just INVENT rules that can explain all that with more or less sense. In fact I think it would have been better to stick to one theory from the very beginning.

The theory from Doc's rejuvenation it's not OK. Citizen Brown has the Doc's same age and he not travelled to the future for doing those interventions.

The movies theory it's while you are in a timeline where you exist (or will exist) keep in existance. If not you will fade away. But if you are in a alternative timeline you will coexist with your alternative yourself.

The existance of the DeLorean it's not compromised cause that "1984" timeline is caused by the time travel, maybe.Or maybe the Delorean will be invented... but not in 1985. Maybe after Edna's death... The idea is there. Doc had it but he misinterpreted it and draw the citizen symbol with it instead of flux capacitor.

This theory not justifies the Doc and Einie's automatic vanishing after back to 1986A. :confused:
  • tope1983 wrote: »

I think marty is working on a contingency as he's not positive that he will be able to travel back in time with the delorean broken and this being a different doc brown.

As for the doc fading, out this has been discussed before
    Doc doesn't live to whatever age he is in get tannen in the FCB timeline.
    The delorean doesn't fade out because the delorean itself still exists in this timeline but it does not get time circuits or a hover conversion hence why both of those malfunction.
  • edited April 2011
    The_Ripper wrote: »
    The theory from Doc's rejuvenation it's not OK. Citizen Brown has the Doc's same age and he not travelled to the future for doing those interventions.

First Citizen Brown (Never invented time travel): 72-73.

Doc Brown (Invented the flux capacitor, gets natural overhaul in the Future, spends decades time travelling and raising his family -including teenage sons-): ~90.

Doc Brown (at the time he was erased from existence) was at least 15 years older than First Citizen Brown (at the first time we see him).
  • edited April 2011
    Carlos85G wrote: »
    First Citizen Brown (Never invented time travel): 72-73.

Doc Brown (Invented the flux capacitor, gets natural overhaul, spends decades time travelling and raising his family -including teenage kids-): ~90.

Exactly, and at ppl saying the time machine should have faded out completely upon entering citizen Brown timeline, the delorean Marty is driving around now is a duplicate, technically it shouldn't exist anyway, so no matter how bad the timeline gets messed up it is immune. ;)
  • edited April 2011
    Iggman88 wrote: »
    Exactly, and at ppl saying the time machine should have faded out completely upon entering citizen Brown timeline, the delorean Marty is driving around now is a duplicate, technically it shouldn't exist anyway, so no matter how bad the timeline gets messed up it is immune. ;)

Precisely! They're just not thinking fourth dimensionally!
  • edited April 2011
    Playing the game by the third time I've found it. I've found the reference for the alternative Marty and I know where he is at the moment. The alternative Marty (Nerd Marty) is in a Mathemagic Convention at the Lake at the moment that "our" Marty comes. So they will never meet each other (likely).

That give me hope for a reasonable explanation to where's the real Doc and real Einey. They couldn't fade away!

If real and alternative Marty can coexist, Doc and Einey too!
  • edited April 2011
    This is a problem I have with the entire Back to the Future series as a whole.

The time machine can only travel through time, not space. The Earth rotates around the Sun. So really, shouldn't the Delorean wind up floating in space if they're not traveling to the same exact point in the rotation?

Well I guess we don't know all the rules of time travel, so...
  • edited April 2011
    The_Ripper wrote: »
    Playing the game by the third time I've found it. I've found the reference for the alternative Marty and I know where he is at the moment. The alternative Marty (Nerd Marty) is in a Mathemagic Convention at the Lake at the moment that "our" Marty comes. So they will never meet each other (likely).

That give me hope for a reasonable explanation to where's the real Doc and real Einey. They couldn't fade away!

If real and alternative Marty can coexist, Doc and Einey too!

No, that's just a convenient explanation so that someone didn't see that timeline's Marty vanish. It's the same with 1985A's Marty being in Switzerland.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.