AGDI Unveils King's Quest III Redux!

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Is there a more specific release date for this? Early February? Late February? Tomorrow?

Color me impatient. =P

edit: also, I understand the creators of these awesome AGDI games need monetary compensation (ie. to be paid) for their work, but I certainly hope that joining up with Himalaya Studios will improve Himalaya's quality of games. I played the Al Emmo demo, and I just couldn't stand it. At all. It's terrible.

I really do hope for some more great games by the AGDI team in the future, even if I have to pay for it. I'm just saying that the KQ Remakes and QFG2+ are head and shoulders (knees and toes) better than Al Emmo is.
  • edited January 2011
    I believe that Himalaya Studios and AGDI are the same company, but they have a different name for commercial games.
  • edited January 2011
    There is no other release date announced as of yet.

And yeah. Himalaya Studios are exactly the same people as AGDI. AGDI created Himalaya Studios after KQ2+ and after getting the fan license from Vivendi just to have a separate entity that Vivendi couldn't possibly have any control over via the fan license contract. Their next game (which I'm also working on) is much more in the vein of a King's Quest/Quest For Glory type style and atmosphere.
  • edited January 2011
    I liked Freddy Pharkas.. that was a good western adventure game IMO.
  • edited January 2011
    Sierra themselves said that they made a survey for what type of game fans would like to see made and a western style adventure game scored the lowest.

I still haven't played Al Emmo myself, but the beginning really didn't draw me in. I think they're better at making stories that are enchanting and dramatic rather than comedy.

Hmm... maybe the western motif was a small part of it, but really there were a few things that did it for me:

It felt to me that the main character was annoying. There's an art to making a character lovably inept (like Guybrush Threepwood or even Larry Laffer), whereas Al Emmo was just inept.

Also, in an adventure game with voice acting, the character voices play a big part and for the character who has the most speaking parts to have an annoying voice distracts one from paying attention the story.

And finally, the 3D cutscenes look dated. It would have been better to use sprites and such for the cutscenes because I just couldn't pay attention.

Not trying to beat a dead horse. I just hope that AGDI/HS learns where they went wrong on that game, because I really do enjoy their other work.
  • edited January 2011
    But many have said once you thrust past that the game gets very good. I'm looking forward to playing through it once I finally get the time.
  • edited January 2011
    I actually got used to Al's voice really quickly. For me, the awesomeness of the narrator's voice MORE than made up for any annoyances I had with Al's voice.
  • edited February 2011
    Al Emmo didn't do as well as they'd hoped, so their next game (which I'm also working on) is much more in the vein of a King's Quest/Quest For Glory type style and atmosphere than the controversial western adventure type, which has never done well ever apparently.

A new fantasy adventure game by AGDI? With the atmosphere of a classic quest? I will almost certainly buy it when it comes, if not pre order it!
  • edited February 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I liked Freddy Pharkas.. that was a good western adventure game IMO.

I love that game!

Al Emmo was decent, but I agree the voice acting was terrible.
  • edited February 2011
    I thought that the voice actors were really quite professional, from what I heard from what I've played so far.
  • edited February 2011
    bump.

I'm getting back in on this thread. I want to talk about a King's Quest game that makes me excited, instead of worried.

I really am looking forward to this. "Coming in February" isn't enough for me. I keep checking the AGDI website every other day.
  • edited February 2011
    "We'll be aiming King's Quest III Redux' release to take place on the evening of February the 23rd; in other words, the upcoming wednesday"

from forums
  • edited February 2011
    I'm really excited I can not wait to play it..

TODAY!!!!
  • edited February 2011
    Should be any time now. It's slated for the evening (PST time). Despite being on the team, I don't know more than that.
  • edited February 2011
    Should we move this to the KQ forum?
  • edited February 2011
    It's out, guys.

rhcpz.jpg
  • edited February 2011
    Confirmed. Downloading right now. :)
  • edited February 2011
    We are looking at the same website right? Because I don't see any download links just a teaser page.
  • edited February 2011
    You have to press the "enter website" button. However, here is a link to the game download page.

KQ3 redux page
    http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/kq3/download/download.html
  • edited February 2011
    I would like to see how their background artist works. Would be helpful :)
  • edited February 2011
    You have to press the "enter website" button. However, here is a link to the game download page.

KQ3 redux page
    http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/kq3/download/download.html

Thanks, for some reason I can seem to find that button.
  • edited February 2011
    I'll give it a try, thanks.
  • edited February 2011
    You have to refresh the page if you're still getting the teaser site.
  • edited February 2011
    Played it a bit this morning. The presentation and graphics are the best of any of AGDI's games. I also feel that the voice acting and music are excellent.
  • edited February 2011
    I also installed it to see whats up ... and its GREAT! I am currently playing the second game though.... So I will finish three when I am done.. BTW these are the games I will play from now on when playing a KQ marathon... shame you guys are not doing the same treatment for KQ4....
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah, but besides the fact that ActiVision won't let us do anymore, we're kind of tired of doing this for free.

But we are working on a new original Sierra-style adventure game under our commercial brand Himalaya Studios which was just announced! It's an adventure/RPG hybrid like Quest For Glory called "Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements."
  • edited February 2011
    Oh yeah I can definitely understand why you guys do not want to do 4 you have all been very generous already... Yeah I saw that about Mage's initiation... I signed up for the newsletter.
  • edited February 2011
    Mage's Initiation looks so badass just from those three screenshots. As far as KQIII Redux, it's badass too. I almost died laughing from the wizard's "punishment". Greatest punishment ever! Greatest wizard ever! He's not JUST evil; he's hilarious and awesome. Only a wizard made of awesome would think up a punishment like that. I also refuse to use a walkthrough for the game. CAN I BEAT THE TOUGHEST KINGS QUEST GAME UNAIDED BY CHEATS? Yes, because I beat KQ 1, 2, and 5 the same way. After this, I'll only have KQ 4, 6, 7, and 8 to beat.
  • edited February 2011
    I tested it and liked it. But I quit after the first deat (I picked up something important while Mananan was still around. I also see a timer so the timed events in this are still kept intact. That was the one thing that kept me from playing this game until now.
  • edited February 2011
    Haven't played much yet, but the intro looks awesome with the mirror effect! :D
  • edited February 2011
    I just beat it.

THIS GAME IS FANTASTIC. Seriously.

It's wonderful. Wow. Yay. Squee...

I'm just... just floored. Wow, it's good. Better than I could have anticipated.

I'm going to hold a hope out that they finish the 3D flythrough at the beginning of the developer title card (stone A-G-D and stuff). I love those sequences.
  • edited February 2011
    For the love of all that is holy, what on Earth is the password for the installer for ADGI's King's Quest I VGA? Please help, I've spent an hour trying to find out now and I can feel my brain trickling out of my ear! :mad:

Thanks.
  • edited February 2011
    Since when did that have a password?
  • edited February 2011
    I was wondering that myself. I installed KQ1 the other night with no problems whatsoever.
  • edited February 2011
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    I tested it and liked it. But I quit after the first deat (I picked up something important while Mananan was still around. I also see a timer so the timed events in this are still kept intact. That was the one thing that kept me from playing this game until now.

You can hide the items that are important from Manannan's prying eyes. Also, the counter is colour coded when Manannan takes his trips or sleeps. Green means you have time, when it turns yellow you're running out of time, and when it turns red you'd better be ready for his return. It's much easier than the original and we've already gotten a lot of positive feedback for that particular function of the game in comparison to the frustration of the original.
    Davies wrote: »
    For the love of all that is holy, what on Earth is the password for the installer for ADGI's King's Quest I VGA? Please help, I've spent an hour trying to find out now and I can feel my brain trickling out of my ear! :mad:

Thanks.

There is no password. Try downloading again. Perhaps one of the mirrors has a corrupt file.
  • edited February 2011
    I don't know but it's driving me mad. It's doing the same thing for all three King's Quest games. The file names are as follows:

* Kq1vga41c.exe

* Kq2vga31c.exe

* KQ3_Redux10.exe

I double click on the one of them and a window comes up saying the following:

'The Unarchiver' - 'You need to supply a password to open this archive'.

I don't know if this makes a difference but I've downloaded the files on to my dad's Mac in order to transfer them via USB to my Internetless Windows PC at home. I usually try and extract such files on the mac to make sure it's not corrupt or needs a password. I've never encountered a problem like this whilst trying to do things using this method before (and I've been doing this for 3 or so years).

I'm worried that I'll get back home (40 miles away from my dads house) and have the same problem on my Vista PC but then I won't have access to the net to find out what's wrong!
    There is no password. Try downloading again. Perhaps one of the mirrors has a corrupt file.

Thanks for replying, I'll try to download KQ1 again and see how that goes.
  • edited February 2011
    Musically Inspired, the music in this game is pretty great, are you ever going to release a soundtrack?
  • edited February 2011
    Davies wrote: »
    I don't know but it's driving me mad. It's doing the same thing for all three King's Quest games. The file names are as follows:

* Kq1vga41c.exe

* Kq2vga31c.exe

* KQ3_Redux10.exe

I double click on the one of them and a window comes up saying the following:

'The Unarchiver' - 'You need to supply a password to open this archive'.

I don't know if this makes a difference but I've downloaded the files on to my dad's Mac in order to transfer them via USB to my Internetless Windows PC at home. I usually try and extract such files on the mac to make sure it's not corrupt or needs a password. I've never encountered a problem like this whilst trying to do things using this method before (and I've been doing this for 3 or so years).

I'm worried that I'll get back home (40 miles away from my dads house) and have the same problem on my Vista PC but then I won't have access to the net to find out what's wrong!

I don't know what's wrong here. You aren't trying to run these programs on your Mac are you? EXE files won't run on a Mac. If you're just transferring them...I don't know. Maybe the Mac is somehow changing the nature of the files when you transfer them. I should point out that they are NOT archives. They are installation setup files that need to be run under Windows. Don't try to extract anything from it on a Mac or Windows PC.
    Musically Inspired, the music in this game is pretty great, are you ever going to release a soundtrack?

Yes, there will be a downloadable OST. But not for a while. I lost all my master source files for the game soundtrack a few years ago in an inadvertent hard drive wipe (Windows XP decided to format and install onto both my hard drives instead of just C:). So I'm doing them all again from scratch with superior sound sample libraries that I've collected since. It'll be a Special Edition Soundtrack and may have an option to add it to the game as a music pack.
  • edited February 2011
    I don't know what's wrong here. You aren't trying to run these programs on your Mac are you? EXE files won't run on a Mac. If you're just transferring them...I don't know. Maybe the Mac is somehow changing the nature of the files when you transfer them. I should point out that they are NOT archives. They are installation setup files that need to be run under Windows. Don't try to extract anything from it on a Mac or Windows PC

Okay, thanks. I'm going to take the files back home in a few days and see how it goes. Thanks for your advice :)
  • edited February 2011
    If you want to play on a Mac you can just download the Mac versions, you know.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.