AGDI Unveils King's Quest III Redux!

13»

Comments

• edited February 2011
    If you want to play on a Mac you can just download the Mac versions, you know.

I tried that just a moment ago but I can't get that to run (I'm using OSX). If I was at home using my PC there would be no problems (afterall, I grew up editing the autoexec.bat and config.sys files in order to get my DOS games to run) but when it comes to Mac, it's all a bit alien to me.
  • edited February 2011
    You can't run EXE files on a Mac. Like I said, you need to download the Mac versions, the DMG files.
  • edited February 2011
    You can't run EXE files on a Mac. Like I said, you need to download the Mac versions, the DMG files.

Hehe, yeah I know dude. I re-downloaded the EXE and while doing that I downloaded the DMG as well but I couldn't get the DMG to work. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
  • edited February 2011
    Ah. Oh well.
  • edited February 2011
    You can hide the items that are important from Manannan's prying eyes. Also, the counter is colour coded when Manannan takes his trips or sleeps. Green means you have time, when it turns yellow you're running out of time, and when it turns red you'd better be ready for his return. It's much easier than the original and we've already gotten a lot of positive feedback for that particular function of the game in comparison to the frustration of the original.

That is a good idea. I haven't played too much yet but I will have some time this evening and on the weekend.
    And I could not hide the item I picked up. AS soon as I did Manannan appeared out of nowhere and killed me. (
    I was trying to find the chamber-pot and got curious what was in his drawers, clearly my fault so no grudges
    )
  • edited February 2011
    I use a sticky-note to cover the counter up on my screen when I play.

BECAUSE THAT'S JUST HOW I ROLL.

(Except in fullscreen, where I can't quite do that. :( )
  • edited February 2011
    I use a sticky-note to cover the counter up on my screen when I play.

BECAUSE THAT'S JUST HOW I ROLL.

(Except in fullscreen, where I can't quite do that. :( )

use electrical tape then.
  • edited February 2011
    Or:

4900_sk_lg.jpg
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    That is a good idea. I haven't played too much yet but I will have some time this evening and on the weekend.
    And I could not hide the item I picked up. AS soon as I did Manannan appeared out of nowhere and killed me. (
    I was trying to find the chamber-pot and got curious what was in his drawers, clearly my fault so no grudges
    )
    You should really read the manual that comes with the game. There's a short chapter explaining the timer and what you're allowed to do as a slave, and what not. It helps, trust me!
  • edited February 2011
    Or a physical sticky note.
  • edited February 2011
    Hayden wrote: »
    Or a physical sticky note.

That's what I was referring to. I didn't even think of the digital ones until you said this.
  • edited February 2011
    That's what I was referring to. I didn't even think of the digital ones until you said this.

Damn, just when I thought I was thinking outside the box.
  • edited February 2011
    I almost died laughing from the wizard's "punishment". Greatest punishment ever! Greatest wizard ever! He's not JUST evil; he's hilarious and awesome. Only a wizard made of awesome would think up a punishment like that.

If you talk about what I think, I also didn't think that this is what he will do when he says that I
    will hang in the kitchen for some time
    . Although it was a little more expected as it
    appeared in the previous Gwidion's book. I was actually thankful for him because the punishment replaced my need to feed him. (It might be a bug, though.)
    It's too bad that
    if you do something minor again after that, he kills you.
    However, my favourite Easter Egg is
    the one that appears if you travel too many times to the desert.
  • edited February 2011
    Hmm i gave KQ2 a try today and i didn't like it. The interface is horrible. Although they try to be funny it's not my type of humour. I also consider dying in this form bad outdated game design. Not because you can die a number of times but because the way you're running into this deaths without a connection to the story, descriptions of the world or some senses from your character. Although, after some time, you develop a feeling on your own, the whole save&load procedure is annoying and makes it kind of clunky.
  • edited February 2011
    It seems like you never played Sierra point and click games before. The game is supposed to be old fashioned, and the numerous ways to die are the tradition of Sierra.
    But one thing that annoyed me is
    the inability to travel to the eagle screen while in eagle form. Not only that I was unable to talk with him, but I was even unable to go into his screen!
    Other than that, I really enjoy the game and the new puzzles.
  • edited February 2011
    I've played some of them but beside of a few Space Quests, i never was fond of them.
  • edited February 2011
    Finally had a chance to sit down and finish AGDI's KQ3. I enjoyed it a lot, although I didn't think it was quite the masterpiece KQII+ was.

Several of the story expansions and additional puzzles were brilliant--I liked the stuff with Smaude, and finding the old Gwydion's journal added some great urgency and character motivation. But some other stuff, while fun, felt more like filler--ie, the extended treasure hunt.

The cameos were also cute, but felt very much like filler.
    Cedric's
    in particular was funny, but didn't make any sense--I laughed when the narrator said "of course he can't talk", but...haven't we been clicking talk on animals all throughout the game?
    The Minstrel's
    was essentially a rehash of his role and puzzle in the original series, but it was funny in that "flashback prequel episode" way. And
    The Father's
    bit didn't seem to add much of anything or answer any questions (unless there was something I missed, which is possible.

But overall, it was a very fun experience. The artwork was magnificent. And, MusicallyInspired, I can't praise you enough for the soundtrack. You managed to weave in melodies from all over the original series in a way that evoked moments and moods from other games, and yet it was never distracting. The score felt like it belonged with this game, while bringing back memories of the others.

All in all, quite recommended. Not sure whether or not I prefer this version or IA's version, but both were wonderful entries into the KQ fan game oeuvre.
  • edited February 2011
    doggans wrote: »
    Finally had a chance to sit down and finish AGDI's KQ3. I enjoyed it a lot, although I didn't think it was quite the masterpiece KQII+ was.

Several of the story expansions and additional puzzles were brilliant--I liked the stuff with Smaude, and finding the old Gwydion's journal added some great urgency and character motivation. But some other stuff, while fun, felt more like filler--ie, the extended treasure hunt.

The cameos were also cute, but felt very much like filler.
    Cedric's
    in particular was funny, but didn't make any sense--I laughed when the narrator said "of course he can't talk", but...haven't we been clicking talk on animals all throughout the game?
    The Minstrel's
    was essentially a rehash of his role and puzzle in the original series, but it was funny in that "flashback prequel episode" way. And
    The Father's
    bit didn't seem to add much of anything or answer any questions (unless there was something I missed, which is possible.

But overall, it was a very fun experience. The artwork was magnificent. And, MusicallyInspired, I can't praise you enough for the soundtrack. You managed to weave in melodies from all over the original series in a way that evoked moments and moods from other games, and yet it was never distracting. The score felt like it belonged with this game, while bringing back memories of the others.

All in all, quite recommended. Not sure whether or not I prefer this version or IA's version, but both were wonderful entries into the KQ fan game oeuvre.

I agree that the inclusion of the
    Father
    didn't add anything. I hope that if and when ADGI does a remake of KQ4, they leave out the whole
    Father
    backstory, though that seems doubtful. I agree with the filler parts, though they weren't as bad as they were in KQ2+, imo.

I like IA's version as well, but there were a few minor things that bugged me, which was the way they handled the Alexender sprite. I have not played the updated patch, so I have to play it again to compare it with this one.
  • edited February 2011
    doom saber wrote: »
    I agree that the inclusion of the
    Father
    didn't add anything. I hope that if and when ADGI does a remake of KQ4, they leave out the whole
    Father
    backstory, though that seems doubtful.

Personally, I wish his part was fleshed out *more*, because it just left me with more questions...but I understand that they can't have the royal family learn everything about
    the Black Cloak Society
    before the events of the other games. Still, would've been nice for us in the audience to get a better peek.
  • edited February 2011
    I don't know what the thing with "The Father" is, all I know is that he's voiced by a former classmate of mine. :)
  • edited February 2011
    Hey! Just a quick comment that I like the game a lot!
    I watched my dad playing the original game on the AtariST, when I was a kid, and I was so scared of Manannan (kinda the experience I had in the tunnels in »LeChucks Revenge«). And »kick cat« were one of the first english words I learned.

Anyway, I have a lot of fun playing the Redux-Version. It's pretty and has a great atmosphere (kudos to MusicallyInspired… it's beautifully creepy entering Manannans office, or reading recent Gwydions diary).

Also, I can't remember the last time I used pen and paper for an adventure game. So yeah, good work, having a lot of fun!
    Now, if you'll excuse me, I still have to find some ingredients… good bye.

Oh, and, can somebody help me finding salt? Just salt… It sounds like it's the easiest thing to find… Did I miss something?
  • edited February 2011
    Majus wrote: »
    Oh, and, can somebody help me finding salt? Just salt… It sounds like it's the easiest thing to find… Did I miss something?

You get salt
    from the store.
    At least that was the answer in the original game, I haven't gotten far enough in the remake to find out.
  • edited February 2011
    You get salt
    from the store.
    At least that was the answer in the original game, I haven't gotten far enough in the remake to find out.

You are right. They didn't change it for the remake
  • edited February 2011
    I don't know what the thing with "The Father" is, all I know is that he's voiced by a former classmate of mine. :)

I am curious.Are most of the voices from the Netherlands since all of the AGDI remakes seem to have VAs from overseas despite the game is made by ppl in the US.
  • edited February 2011
    I saw quite a few Dutch sounding names in the credits.
  • edited February 2011
    I think there's only 2 or 3 people on the team who actually reside in the States. Not including me.
  • edited February 2011
    Majus wrote: »
    when I was a kid, and I was so scared of Manannan (kinda the experience I had in the tunnels in »LeChucks Revenge«).

heh this is very true for me too
  • edited February 2011
    Well, I completed KQ3 redux and liked most of it. The added slave journal was nice, as was the extented village. The pirate ship was handeled nicely as well. The treasure island was okay, but expectionally great. Puzzles were a bit too easy there.

the only thing I didn't particulary like was the ending with magic pinball and added perilious journey to the castle. That was a huge meh.
  • edited February 2011
    Has the story in this version changed somewhat compared to IA's version?
  • edited February 2011
    The main plot is the same, there are embellishments made and characters fleshed out a little....some puzzles now have alternate solutions and there are also brand new areas and side stories that weren't in the original. Other than that, it's basically the same story.
  • edited February 2011
    I saw quite a few Dutch sounding names in the credits.

I think only Stijn is from the Netherlands, although I think there were a few beta-testers from that area.

There're a few members from the US, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, I'm from South Africa and I believe there was 1 from England. The beta-testers were spread a bit more widely.
  • edited February 2011
    Aha. TamTu Bui (voice of The Father) is also from the Netherlands, so what's in a name? :D
  • edited February 2011
    Don't mind me. I misread the post again. *sigh* I noticed now that the post was about the voice actors. LOL! *smack* Feeling stupid.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.