AGDI Unveils King's Quest III Redux!

After 8 years the secret is out. Play it this February! I've put a huge percentage of the last decade of my life into this game's soundtrack and I hope you'll all enjoy it when it's ready!

King's Quest III Redux

Check the AGDI forums for more information on the project.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Nice!!...
  • edited January 2011
    I've got to say it, this being a Monkey Island developer's forums...

"OMG OMG GET DOMINIC ARMATO TO VOICE THE GUYBRUSH CAMEO!!!"

lol. I'm looking forward to this.

I won't hide my slight confusion given that IA already made a KQ3remake, but on the other hand, I'm really excited because this means AGDI may even make a KQ4remake as well (and probably finish before Magic Mirror Games ever does :rolleyes:)
  • edited January 2011
    Interesting. IA did a great job on the remake, but after Quest For Glory II VGA, AGD can do no wrong.
  • edited January 2011
    I wonder how Infamous Adventures feels about this :)
  • edited January 2011
    IA knows about it and is psyched. I'm a member of both teams, actually. Also, if you go to the forum section there's a nice post there explaining the history of the project (which started before IA started their remake) including answers to the question "Why remake an already remade game?".

Also, this is the last and final AGDI game, unfortunately. There won't be any more :(. But we're going out with a bang! This is probably the biggest and best presented AGDI project out of all of them. QFG2VGA was pretty impressive scripting-wise, but KQ3Redux wins in basically everything else!

The tone and setting of this game isn't as drastic a change from the original as KQ2+ was, the original story is still very much intact, but if you think you don't need to play it because you've already played IA's version or the original, well you'd be wrong! There's still plenty of interesting things to see and explore in KQ3Redux that tie in to the same lore that was written into KQ2+. But I won't say anymore. I don't want to spoil it!
  • edited January 2011
    Excellent! I look forward to playing this. I'm actually currently making my way through 'King's Quest III' for the first time (with IA's remake). So, if I aim to finish it before Feb, then I can have some fun making all of the comparisons between both remakes.
  • edited January 2011
    I have already played through the IA KQIII, but I'll still give this one a try :)
  • edited January 2011
    There's definitely enough redeeming values to play both of them. ;) Please nobody think that if you've played one version you've played them all. This is definitely a unique version.
  • edited January 2011
    this is the last and final AGDI game, unfortunately. There won't be any more :(.

aww... I'm getting to the point where I'm unsure if Magic Mirror Games will ever finish their KQ4 remake, considering they have so few updates about it.

It would have been really cool to have AGDI complete the VGA KQ library. =\
  • edited January 2011
    Indeed. But the crew is definitely tired of doing such fine work with no compensation. 4 full free high-class adventure games is a lot to put under your belt. Besides, ActiVision won't allow any more remakes. From here on in it's all Himalaya Studios stuff now (the new project of which I'm also lead composer for, so if you like the score for KQ3 I hope it draws you in enough to be interested in the score for this new title!).
  • edited January 2011
    That is amazing news! Finally, the trilogy will be complete. This reminds me, I still haven't finished QFG2VGA. I'll have to get on that.
  • edited January 2011
    I tried the remake of Kings Quest III once and didn't get very far because of that bloody wizard kept showing up every two seconds to kill me.
  • edited January 2011
    I really wish it wasnt their last.... I want KQIV made of the same quality... But I totally understand their reasoning not to do it.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2011
    Mr Nutt wrote: »
    I tried the remake of Kings Quest III once and didn't get very far because of that bloody wizard kept showing up every two seconds to kill me.

He usually does that because you're carrying contraband. Luckily, he doesn't look under your bed. ;)

As a big fan of AGDI's other remakes, I'm hugely excited about this! In fact it's put me in the mood to replay their KQ2, which was easily one of my favorite games of the 2000s. (What's the accepted way to refer to the last decade?!)
  • edited January 2011
    Definately go back and replay the other two! They both have received numberous updates recently and if you haven't played them in a while, they are definately worth downloading again!

It is kind of funny. As we were working on KQ3, the AGD's "borrowed" our artists to go back and revamp the earlier games. Give KQ1 and KQ2 a try to get an idea of what the art will look like in KQ3.
  • edited January 2011
    Emily wrote: »
    (What's the accepted way to refer to the last decade?!)

The "aughts"?
  • edited January 2011
    This kind of makes me want to go back and play the KQ1 and 2 AGDI remakes :) I already beat them, but they are always fun.
  • edited January 2011
    Emily wrote: »
    What's the accepted way to refer to the last decade?!
    That would be the noughties.
  • edited January 2011
    Wow, these are great news! I played AGDI's three games and they all were amazing. The soundrack for King's Quest II+ is fantastic. (I liked the dwarf's theme as much as the character itself. It also reminds me of 'I'm More Piratey than You!')
    I hope that this game will be more forgiving than the original one, and I hope even more to see some continuation from Romancing the Stones.
  • edited January 2011

Uhm... No thanks, I prefer aughties :p

Regarding the news: they are GREAT. I don't hide the fact that the only KQ games that I consider actually good (apart from KQI which I will always respect for what it has done to the genre, plus it's actually not bad) are #3, #6 and, believe it or not, #8, or MoE for you non-#8 purists :p (aside from controls which require getting used to, it's a pretty good action/adventure). I also don't hide the fact that KQII+ was the best KQ experience for me EVER, I enjoyed it more than any of the official games of the series.

So, naturally, I will eagerly wait for KQIIIRedux, and wish the best of luck to AGDI!

PS. Regarding Sierra, it were the SQ and QfG series that've made me a fan of the company, not KQ, and I consider those two series to be vastly superior than their flagship KQ series.
  • edited January 2011
    Farlander wrote: »
    Uhm... No thanks, I prefer aughties :p

Regarding the news: they are GREAT. I don't hide the fact that the only KQ games that I consider actually good (apart from KQI which I will always respect for what it has done to the genre, plus it's actually not bad) are #3, #6 and, believe it or not, #8, or MoE for you non-#8 purists :p (aside from controls which require getting used to, it's a pretty good action/adventure). I also don't hide the fact that KQII+ was the best KQ experience for me EVER, I enjoyed it more than any of the official games of the series.

So, naturally, I will eagerly wait for KQIIIRedux, and wish the best of luck to AGDI!

PS. Regarding Sierra, it were the SQ and QfG series that've made me a fan of the company, not KQ, and I consider those two series to be vastly superior than their flagship KQ series.

I would add KQ5 to that list, the fifth game was great!
  • edited January 2011
    I would add KQ5 yo that list, the fifth game was great!

Funny, KQ5 is the only one of the original seven that I *don't* particularly like. It has nice atmosphere, art, and music, but it has the least forgiving puzzles in the entire series, with absolutely no wiggle room or alternate paths. I never would have beaten it without a walkthrough.

Anyway. Very psyched about this, since KQII+ was pretty much mankind's greatest achievement.
  • edited January 2011
    doggans wrote: »
    Funny, KQ5 is the only one of the original seven that I *don't* particularly like. It has nice atmosphere, art, and music, but it has the least forgiving puzzles in the entire series, with absolutely no wiggle room or alternate paths. I never would have beaten it without a walkthrough.

Same here, besides of the fact that I didn't play the fourth and eighth games. One of my favourite things about the first game and the second game's remake is the multiple options for solving a puzzle. I certainly hope to see them in this game!
  • edited January 2011
    Six will always be my favorite KQ
  • edited January 2011
    I would add KQ5 yo that list, the fifth game was great!

Nay, sorry, I don't think that way.
  • edited January 2011
    I also didn't like KQV near as much as VI or the new remakes. The voice acting of all the animals (especially Cedric) is terrible, the rescue-the-rat-from-the-cat puzzle is ludicrously easy to miss, and the catacombs under Mordack's castle is a real pain.

I like Paw's Let's Play KQV videos though. He does a good job making fun of it.
  • edited January 2011
    KQ5 is still my favourite.
  • edited January 2011
    The only one I never played was KQ8, as I can't seem to find it anywhere. I haven't played the Silver Lining game, because I'm waiting for all episodes to be released. KQ6 is not only the best in the series, but one of the finest in the genre ever :)
  • edited January 2011
    The only one I never played was KQ8, as I can't seem to find it anywhere. I haven't played the Silver Lining game, because I'm waiting for all episodes to be released. KQ6 is not only the best in the series, but one of the finest in the genre ever :)

KQ8 is such a departure from the rest its hardly part of the series.... But if you really want to play it... GOG.com has it for $9.99 packed with KQ7 and KQ7 is worth the price tag alone.
    http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/king%E2%80%99s_quest_7_8
  • edited January 2011
    Though you don't have to get in MoE expecting an adventure game. The action elements are really more dominant there. Though, as I said, I personally enjoyed MoE, and I think it's a well made action/adventure.

PS. The Silver Lining was a VERY big disappointment for me. The first chapter at the least. Maybe I should try to give it another chance, but I don't feel like it. I was just resented by the game after playing it for a while.
  • edited January 2011
    The first chapter of the Silver Lining is just like the first chapter of Back to the Future. And you know what, I gave TSL leeway on that, but Telltale knew better. That still pisses me off, and it's going to continue to piss me off.
  • edited January 2011
    Farlander wrote: »
    PS. The Silver Lining was a VERY big disappointment for me. The first chapter at the least.

The second chapter's better. At least, it's longer, with more puzzles, though still not as long as most non-BTTF Telltale episodes.
  • edited January 2011
    The first chapter of the Silver Lining is just like the first chapter of Back to the Future. And you know what, I gave TSL leeway on that, but Telltale knew better. That still pisses me off, and it's going to continue to piss me off.

I don't know what you mean by that... First chapter of TSL, has like one puzzle (its mostly all cutscenes). If I had to pay for it, I'd have felt ripped off.

BTTF episode one has over a dozen puzzles (more than or equal to TSL episode 2). BTTF episode one is awesome, and I felt I was watching a new BTTF movie. I don't feel ripped off at all.
  • edited January 2011
    doggans wrote: »
    Anyway. Very psyched about this, since KQII+ was pretty much mankind's greatest achievement.

Haha! Such a compliment! King's Quest III Redux will come close, but I can't say that it is mankind's greatest achievement. It might be a close second though! :)
  • edited January 2011
    I have to say, I'm looking forward to playing this game. I enjoyed KQ2+ on its own merits. As its own stand alone game, it doesn't replace the original in my eyes though (it took way too many liberties from Roberta William's vision). I'm old school and prefer Roberta's King's Quest series more, but I still find alot of fun out of these alternate fan reinterpretations.
  • edited January 2011
    Don't worry, the main storyline of KQ3Redux isn't changed at all. Merely some side things are added and characters fleshed out and polished a little. Just enough for a VGA-style game.
  • edited January 2011
    KQ5 is still my favourite.

Same here. The first 2 remakes really gave me a good time (especially KQ1) I will definitely check that one out too.

I hope there are less timed things in this game than in the original. The Original was kind of brutally hard.
  • edited January 2011
    Valiento wrote: »
    I don't know what you mean by that... First chapter of TSL, has like one puzzle (its mostly all cutscenes). If I had to pay for it, I'd have felt ripped off.

BTTF episode one has over a dozen puzzles (more than or equal to TSL episode 2). BTTF episode one is awesome, and I felt I was watching a new BTTF movie. I don't feel ripped off at all.

BTTF episode one has exactly two puzzles that I would count as anything near real puzzles of any form.
  • edited January 2011

I'll stick to calling it the zeroys... or how ever I would spell my made up word.
  • edited January 2011
    BTTF episode one has exactly two puzzles that I would count as anything near real puzzles of any form.

I don't know there were several conversation style puzzles, to convince characters to do things (or learn something, so you can move on, elsewhere). A few inventory puzzles. A couple of action based puzzles, and a few mechanical puzzles/distraction puzzles, to get clues.

It took something like 3-4 hours to complete, which is comparable to watching one of the BTTF movies in dialogue. It was comparable in length puzzle styles as Wallace and Gromit, Episode 1 (puzzle pacing seemed about the same to me even; both share a similar car chase sequence). It might even had more puzzles than Bone Episode 1 (which also felt short in my opinion).

You can complete TSL episode 1 in like 10-30 minutes, and skip most things, without even realizing it. The main cutscenes are non-interactive and on auto-play, and you can't really interact during the conversations even (I.E. you can only ask questions, you can't make choices that would affect the conversation in some way, or give an idea of the character's own thoughts). If you do the optional conversation stuff, not much more than an hour. You might push it further looking for hidden narration stuff, but that stuff is a bit overly wordy and dry... imo.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.