IF MI6 is being announced (TMI2), WHAT DO YOU WANT?

edited February 2011 in Tales of Monkey Island
1. A NEW Title (Not Tales of Monkey Island Season 2). I personally like Return to Monkey Island.

2. At least one location from SMI-CMI

3. At least one returning character from SMI-CMI

4. Winslow

5. LeChuck (I feel like this one might be a long shot, his death seemed pretty final, especially with the Morgan ghost pirate hunter crap that I wasn't too happy with).

6. A DIFFERENT Morgan (Nicki Rapp can still do the voice, but I'd like her fangirl to be completely gone and have a new, tough, resolved to KILL pirates Morgan).

7. British Navy would be cool

8. New graphics. New look for GB, keep his facial proportions the same but make it smoother. In a year or two the Telltale tool is gunna need a major revamp. Esp in 2011 it's hard to release games without fabric physics and still be considered competitive. I know this is an expense, but its an investment that would definitely pay off.

What do YOU want to see?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Not POTC ^....
  • edited February 2011
    I want Lemonhead. <3
  • edited February 2011
    1. Memorable locations from past games, perfectly recreated in glorious 3D! While I enjoyed exploring Melee Island again in Escape from Monkey Island, I personally felt disappointed that so much of the island had been altered to a near unrecognisable state.

2. The return of Largo Lagrande/Wally/Men of Low Moral Fibre/The Cannibals

3. No highly random plot lines about voodoo sponges or ultimate insults. What I enjoyed (plot wise) about the first three games were the semi-serious pirate stories told in a comical fashion.

Kidnappings, voodoo dolls and cursed rings all have that piratey flair I'm looking for! A voodoo sponge, not so much.

4. Stick with the character development and drama, as demonstrated in Tales of Monkey Island. There were some truly gripping and emotional moments in there! MORE!!!

5. Winslow and Morgan :D

6. Fully orchestrated music and varied character models.

Awesome :)
  • edited February 2011
    1. Return of the full cast (including the TMI actors such as Nicki)

2. I actually loved the Desinger for a Day contest, and the "name book titles in voodoo lady's bookshelf"...those were brilliant and I'd love to put the little gray cells to work again.

3. Stan and Murray - they never get old.

4. Maybe a new outfit for Guybrush. Green anyone? He never had green. Maybe dark green with some yellow artifacts, I dunno.

5. This is number five, although I would easily place it as number one... I would really like if Majus, Suro, Mihai and Martin would have enough time to gather once more so we can work together on IWWH in TMI2. :) Just working with Herr Majus on the scripts was a blast, I never laughed so hard in my entire life. Yeah, that would be awesome.
  • edited February 2011
    -I don't want Morgan to change, and have two different lovable sides of her like in the original intents.
    -End of the series. Yes I want that. A grand conclusion of the story, what could be more epic?
    -Going back to Monkey Island, AND this being NOT forced.
  • edited February 2011
    1. Return of the full cast (including the TMI actors such as Nicki)

3. Stan and Murray - they never get old.

Going off both of these, I have to say that I'd love to see Pat Pinney back to voice Stan. I mean, I wouldn't say a thing if he hadn't voiced Stan in years, but he's voiced him in both special editions. Surely he has no qualms about voicing the character now...
    Don't get me wrong, Hammon did a good job with the voice, but it just wasn't fitting for the character in my opinion.

Also, maybe cool it with the short and chubby pirate model, okay Telltale? The tall pirates weren't as bothersome to me for whatever reason, but that short model was just grating by the end.
    That said... bring Winslow back for cryin' out loud!
  • edited February 2011
    Falanca wrote: »
    -End of the series. Yes I want that. A grand conclusion of the story, what could be more epic?

Was going to post something like that.
  • edited February 2011
    4. Maybe a new outfit for Guybrush. Green anyone? He never had green. Maybe dark green with some yellow artifacts, I dunno.

Actually, I kind of want to see Guybrush looking a little different myself. I know I said so in another thread a long time ago, but the reason I want him to look even slightly different is because he's never looked the same in any of his games and I don't think that chain should be broken.
  • edited February 2011
    - The coin interface.
    - 2-month gaps between episodes
    - Morgan (as an ally)
    - An unrealistic amount of lower decks on the Screaming Narwhal
    - LeChuck excluded completely
    - Some actual Elaine badassery
  • edited February 2011
    - I'd like Morgan to return, but I agree with Falanca, I like her having different sides to her personality, having her just be completely badass would be kinda boring IMO. But I would like her to have gotten over her infatuation with Guybrush, she can still be fangirly without actually being in love with him. The worst case scenario for me would be for her to basically be a female LeChuck, only obsessed with Guybrush instead of Elaine. Ugh.
    - I would also like some Elaine badassery. Give the woman more guns dammit!
    - WINSLOW. If Winslow returns, I'd also like Anemone to return as well, just so that Guybrush can continue to be disturbed by their relationship.
    - Seeing inside the Screaming Narwhal, or whatever ship is being used.
    - The Voodoo Lady NOT being the main villain, I'd rather she remains a grey character. Far-reaching Machiavellian plans don't necessarily have to be evil. I do not object to her APPEARING to be the main villain, just as long as it doesn't turn out that she actually is the villain.
    - Stan and Murray. I like them both!
    - Having a game without LeChuck would be interesting, but if he does come back, I'd really hope that Earl Boen is available to do the voice-acting.
  • edited February 2011
    Meh, if it is a new MI then it'll be New Villain for 3-4 episodes who accidentally revives LeChuck, that way they can have Earl only record once so they don't have to put up with an interim guy like in the first Series.

Also, Stan's voice actor for TOMI was better then the Special Editions/COMI in my opinion, so yeah. Although SWP is the closest to what I picture Stan sounding like from IWWH.

Also, a new name. X of Monkey Island, but not Tales 2, because it'd be silly if it went SOMI, MI2:LCR, COMI, EFMI, TOMI, TOMI2
  • edited February 2011
    Ribs wrote: »
    Also, a new name. X of Monkey Island, but not Tales 2, because it'd be silly if it went SOMI, MI2:LCR, COMI, EFMI, TOMI, TOMI2
    They did it for Final Fantasy X and X-2 ._.
  • edited February 2011
    I don't think a new title is important. If it's ToMI 2, then so be it.

I definitely want them to give LeChuck a rest.

I don't think fabric physics is really a necessity in games like these, but in general Telltale has been getting better with their graphics game after game, so I expect the graphics to continue improving.

A "resolved to kill" Morgan and the British Navy just sound like we're veering closer and closer to the Pirates of the Caribbean.

I do like Winslow and I wouldn't mind some characters from previous games returning, especially an expanded on Captain Dread. I don't think new locations are a necessity but I guess it would be interesting to see Booty Island. Love the Mardi Gras stuff.

I'd kind of like to play as Elaine for a bit in a new game.

Orchestral music. Let's not compress this for Wii Ware this time.
  • edited February 2011
    -Yeah, Jared as a COMPOSER this time, not only the sound check guy :<
  • edited February 2011
    You guys realize a lot of POTC drew on MI right? As in the first two... as in the ones we champion as the best?
  • edited February 2011
    1. OF COURSE not TMI2. Why all of a sudden an iconic game franchise should get stuck with the last game? So, like always, a new name, and new adventures with new characters.

2. New character models. The clothes at least.

3.The classics in: (Elaine, LeChuck, Voodo Lady, Stan. Murray is optional but i would like it too)

4.Little reference to Tales...it's too soon. It should feel like a new Monkey game, not Tales 2. And that means no Winslow or Morgan. Not in this at least, maybe in a Monkey 7.

5.Maybe give some answers and stop adding more mysterious unknown plans that are never revelead.

6.A Guybrush more like in MI2. He is on his own adventure. He is not worring about Elaine all the time, he is not fixing something he did wrong or saving the world, he is just on his own piratey adventure. More piratey stuff. You can't save the caribbean all the time.

7.Less use of Voodoo in a Deus Ex way. At some point it start to look cheap.

That's enough bitching i guess.
  • edited February 2011
    ^^ yes yes yes yes yes ^^
  • edited February 2011
    DeLuca wrote: »
    ... as in the ones we champion as the best?

Not every MI fan does that...probably the majority does though.
  • edited February 2011
    Throwing in my thoughts on Stan, I'd be happy if they brought him back with either VA, just as long as they don't use Pat Fraley again. He was just plain awful.
    Falanca wrote: »
    They did it for Final Fantasy X and X-2 ._.

Only because those were (at the time) the only Final Fantasy games with a connected story and recurring characters. It's why we ended up seeing a couple of games called "Final Fantasy XII: Subtitle" and spin-offs with the name Final Fantasy VII on them.

If the Monkey Island games were all thematically similar isolated pirate stories and we were talking about a new game that would buck the trend and tie to one of the previous stories, then I'd accept the X-2/Tales 2 argument. But they're not, we're not, and I don't.
  • edited February 2011
    I don't want Stan to be brought back at all, actually. He's managed to stay fresh and funny (in my opinion) for five games in a row, but a sixth game would be pushing it too far and he'd probably grow stale. He's a fun character, fo sure, but I don't think he's got enough depth to be a 100% regular like Guybrush or the Voodoo Lady.
  • edited February 2011
    -All of the voice cast to return (of course).
    -Largo LaGrande! Now that TT have worked with James Arnold Taylor, they could use him for Largo in Tales!
    -Visual enhancements from Season One. Like S&M did between S2 and 3.
    -A soundtrack with live instruments instead of synthesised music. I feel like this was done so that the Wii release could be plain midi, so if Telltale don't develop this season for Wiiware, then I think the music should be fine.
    -Bring it to PS3 instead of Wiiware, as mentioned previously, I don't think anybody particularly enjoyed the experience of Tales on Wiiware.

I JUST REALISED! With Tales getting a physical release in the UK in March, could they just be gathering up a larger fanbase for a sequel to be announced soon? Like...in a couple of days soon?
    :)
  • edited February 2011
    Hayden wrote: »
    I don't want Stan to be brought back at all, actually. He's managed to stay fresh and funny (in my opinion) for five games in a row, but a sixth game would be pushing it too far and he'd probably grow stale. He's a fun character, fo sure, but I don't think he's got enough depth to be a 100% regular like Guybrush or the Voodoo Lady.

What's the big difference that makes six games too much but five games okay? Is five games some kind of magical line that you shouldn't cross? :P

I'd just like to see a darker Monkey Island, closer to MI2 in atmosphere, have LeChuck be untouchable until the very end and make him really scary and threatening, like in MI2 and the last episode of TOMI. Remove his stupid horse-teeth, he looked ridiculous.

I'd also like to see Largo again, and not just a small role.

Get Captain Dread back. Winslow decides to retire after a terrible storm that ruins your ship, and he happens to know this guy who lives in a boat-for-hire. And he's currently on the island you're stranded on. Which can be either Scabb, Booty, Phatt or some new island. Dread didn't know how to get to other islands in MI2, and explains it away with him losing his map and ending up on this island. You will have to get a new map (with new islands?) before the end of the episode so that you can leave.
  • edited February 2011
    StarEye wrote: »
    What's the big difference that makes six games too much but five games okay? Is five games some kind of magical line that you shouldn't cross? :P

(I knew this reply was coming.)

No, I'm not working purely numerically here. It's also what I feel is happening. Perhaps I didn't convey or explain that properly in my initial post. The message I meant to get across was the fact that, for me personally, Stan seems to be growing old (not literally), and that it won't be long before he becomes stale. Allow me to elaborate. In the first two games the idea of Stan was fresh, funny and well-executed, and perhaps even in the third game. In the fourth game, in my opinion, it was both funny and well-done again, but the originality and freshness that was once there just didn't seem as prominent as it once had seemed. In the fifth game, Stan was once again funny, enjoyable and Telltale did a great job of him. But by this point, I could feel things getting quite old - there was a certain predictability to him, things about and surrounding the character had become repetitive, some of the old jokes were being milked a little, etc. Yeah, I enjoyed having Stan in the game, and Telltale did an excellent job of making his inclusion enjoyable, but with so much of the initial originality gone from the character, I felt that this was perhaps the last time that Stan could appear in a Monkey Island game without it feeling forced and without him becoming stale. If he were to be included in yet another game, I feel that the whole thing would simply become tiresome and it would be an abuse of the novelty that is Stan.

That was the reasoning behind my original post.
  • edited February 2011
    I agree stan sorta feels close to being a forced meme.
  • edited February 2011
    - More challenging puzzles. And more character-based puzzles. Episode 3 got all the story, characters and puzzles right.

- Like in MI2, there should be more dialog options. And please, make Guybrush say what's written on the dialog option.

- Less cutscenes.

- There's plenty of real piratey stuff that hasn't been explored on the games. Explore that! Watch the old Errol Flynn (like The Sea Hawk, Captain Blood and Robin Hood) and take material from there. I wanna feel that I wanna be a pirate!

- If live instruments cannot be afforded, get better synths. The ones used in BTTF episode 1 could do just fine.

- Don't make a character return unless its necessary to the plot. While they handed that pretty well in TOMI, I'm afraid if they bring back Largo, it would feel forced. But who knows, this company resurrected Murray, so I'm sure they could come up with something.

- LeChuck shouldn't be the main villain. And the Voodoo Lady should remain ambigous. Maybe DeSinge could return in a horrible form after his painful death.

- Let the series take itself more seriously instead of being a parody of itself. While the tone of the first two games returned from episode 3 onwards, I would like it that tone stayed through all the new season... If we even get one.

That's some stuff I would like to see. If I remember more, I'll post them.
  • edited February 2011
    6.A Guybrush more like in MI2. He is on his own adventure. He is not worring about Elaine all the time, he is not fixing something he did wrong or saving the world, he is just on his own piratey adventure. More piratey stuff. You can't save the caribbean all the time.

TOTALLY agree!
  • edited February 2011
    Idea, let me know what you guys think.

Everyone says Stan might be getting a little stale. But since TTG is all about character development, what about a Stan who has FINALLY given up on the salesman gig. A drunk, disheveled Stan. Maybe he's missing his hat. Maybe his coats plaid is stationary (Stationary, Guybrush! What am I supposed to do with-- hic-- stationary plaid... *mumbles something about polygonal rendering*) That way we wont break the rhythm of including him but also wont be stale in doing so
  • edited February 2011
    Am I the only person who thought the character of Stan was actually developed in TOMI, and that he wasn't just an excuse for a puzzle/gag?!
  • edited February 2011
    I want a inappropiate sex scene with heavy metal music , and I want it to be unexpected, and I want TTG to make up a heavy metal song for the sex scene and give it monkey island lyrics, and I want close ups of EVERYTHING....

YES!!! YES!! THATS WHAT I WANT!
  • edited February 2011
    To the one guy who said no Winslow or Morgan: ARE YOU INSANE? Monkey Island Games live off the characters we've already met reappearing and interacting with new characters. In addition, Morgan is a necessity as she is very much a big part of the plot at this point. Winslow is comic relief with a huge fan following, so it's incredibly unlikely he won't show up. The one character that I feel doesn't need to show up is Murray, mainly because he was sort of stuck where he was at the end of Lair of the Leviathan.
  • edited February 2011
    The one character that I feel doesn't need to show up is Murray, mainly because he was sort of stuck where he was at the end of Lair of the Leviathan.

Except that a big part of Murray's schtick is his uncanny ability to turn up wherever Guybrush is, no matter where the last place we saw him was. And Leviathan isn't exactly the first time he's been tossed into the ocean. Remember his first appearance?
  • edited February 2011
    Except that a big part of Murray's schtick is his uncanny ability to turn up wherever Guybrush is, no matter where the last place we saw him was. And Leviathan isn't exactly the first time he's been tossed into the ocean. Remember his first appearance?

Actually no as I've never played COMI :/
  • edited February 2011
    You've never pl--- you've nev--- you'-- WHAT WHAT WHAT?
  • edited February 2011
    To the one guy who said no Winslow or Morgan: ARE YOU INSANE? Monkey Island Games live off the characters we've already met reappearing and interacting with new characters. In addition, Morgan is a necessity as she is very much a big part of the plot at this point. Winslow is comic relief with a huge fan following, so it's incredibly unlikely he won't show up. The one character that I feel doesn't need to show up is Murray, mainly because he was sort of stuck where he was at the end of Lair of the Leviathan.

No. In every Monkey Island game there are secondary characters that we love, and we want to see them again, but you can't carry all of them along all the time. Very few of them have that privilege (classics: Elaine, Voodoo Lady, etc.) The rest move on to give space to NEW stuff. Because we want to see new stories and adventures, right?

I like returning characters, but i like them more when it has been a long time since i last saw them. Winslow and Morgan would be like Tales 2, not a new game, more rather like an extension of the last one. And i'm against that. Against making with Monkey Island the same that with S&M. That is, making them answer all time to characters and situations that have only happened in the last TellTale Games.
    I belive Monkey Island have a rich backgorund that keeps growing with each new game , to get suddenly stucked in this last game, that's all.
    Actually no as I've never played COMI :/

Give me back my reply, you don't deserve it!!!!! you..you..monster!!
  • edited February 2011
    The gorram Men of Low Moral Fiber.
  • edited February 2011

Everyone says Stan might be getting a little stale. But since TTG is all about character development, what about a Stan who has FINALLY given up on the salesman gig. A drunk, disheveled Stan. Maybe he's missing his hat. Maybe his coats plaid is stationary (Stationary, Guybrush! What am I supposed to do with-- hic-- stationary plaid... *mumbles something about polygonal rendering*) That way we wont break the rhythm of including him but also wont be stale in doing so
    Actually, that's not a bad idea. I like it!
    I mean, after five games it would be sad to not include him in the sixth (If there will be one). He's a part of the classic Monkey Island, even though he doesn't have this important role in the series, he's been there in every single game. It's just a funny part of the gameplay event to always in one or another way bump in to him, and think "Oh, there's Stan again."

To see him in a bar or something, a bit drunk and without this whole business thing would really be interesting. We all know him as the constantly talking business guy, but besides that, who is he?
    We can not ditch the Stan!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Finally. A thread of lists. I just love your thoughts in here. Here are mine (and some repetitions ;) ).
    • Other Season name would be fine; they could even drop the "Monkey Island"!!
    • Guybrush, Elaine, Winslow, Morgan.
    • May LeCuck rest for at least one Season. And Stan also.
    • In Morgan's present state, it would be interesting to still have her develop further as a character.
    • Follow the concept of ToMI: Focus on new characters instead of bringing in lots of old ones at all costs. Don't force anyone in just because fans like him/her that much.
    • Guest characters: just like Stan, make them appear in one episode only. The shorter their appearance, the better the scene.
    • If you really HAVE to bring back old characters from MI 1 to 3, I'd prefer the Barbery coast people, besides Kate Capsize and Carla.
    • For the NEW characters to return, Anemone would be OK; furthermore, I'd like to see how Coronado de Cava finally meets the Voodoo lady again. After all, he was some kind of Guybrush mirror, and his story did not quite end in ToMI.
    • Puzzles: Implement your normal help system, but not_more. Make the puzzles numerous, interesting, creative, varied, very interactive, but not necessarily "hard".
    • Don't obstruct the screen with ugly icons as in BTTF. No one needs those.
    • Keep the cutscenes short. This is not a movie, for crying out loud.
    • I came to like the graphics in ToMI all right, but could you kick in just a little more realism this time? Redesigning Morgan, for example, would be a great relief to many here. ;)
    • Map-based travelling again on sea and land (lest Winslow be disappointed!), and more places to visit. Give us back the freedom that BTTF sais NAY to!!
    • No new ship. I want the Screaming Narwhal back and add stuff to it.
  • edited February 2011

a) I like this concept.
    Make him slow-speaking, dulled, negligible energy.
    It would nice to make him an integral part of the plot in a small way, like convincing him to take up his old profession because Guybrush needs him to barter with another character not so easily persuaded or bribed, a character like the harbor mistress from EMI - she was a tough cookie!

b) orchestral soundtrack

c) new villain(s) that will eventually make way for LeChuck.
    Perhaps a new Governor (I'm not suggesting the Charles L. Charles arc). Somebody who will seek the essence of LeChuck to secure his dictatorship in the Caribbean.
    Or, have a different type of villain for each episode, each vying to discover the legendary essence of LeChuck. (This is perhaps the only way I can see you introducing Largo - he will never supplement as a major villain, but as an interim episodic villain he'd fit perfectly).

d) Old location/character from Mi series to return
    Personally I think some characters are developed only for that one game, and therefore woukd be incongruous in any other context. I believe Largo is one of those characters. But maybe a short appearance by lemonhead, a tourist guide around a new island with a volcano.

e) Monkey Island must return! Return to Monkey Island doesn't bother me as a second season title. I think it Would be more flexible if you changed the sequence of the words in the title, such as: Tales: Return to Monkey Island.
    That way if there are to be successive seasons we can always identify that as the Tales Seasons.

Edit: thinking about a season where pirates, potential villains are seeking out the legendary essence of LeChuck makes me think of parallels to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. In saying this you could have a title like, TOMI: Sanctum of LeChuck or TOMI: Legends of LeChuck. Just thinking out loud.
  • edited February 2011
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    - Let the series take itself more seriously instead of being a parody of itself. While the tone of the first two games returned from episode 3 onwards, I would like it that tone stayed through all the new season... If we even get one.

In what way do Monkey Island 1 and 2 take themselves seriously?
  • edited February 2011
    Teeth, I think he is referring to taking the pirate part seriously. The whole draw of the first two games was that they were pirate games that happened to have ironic or comedic aspects to them. They were still pirate games though.

NOW we have comedy cartoon games that happen to be piratey. For example, mermaids... okay, but I would have preferred human mermaids to Zelda mermaids. You can bet your bottom dollar Ron Gilbert wouldn't have included Zelda mermaids as serious characters.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.