Kings Quest 1-8

Some of you may not have played any or all of the games. So before you hunt down old copies on ebay or something that you may have a hard time getting to work on a newer system I would like to suggest this alternative... GOG.com offers all 8 original games for about $30 and they broke them into three parts....

Kings Quest 1-3 $9.99
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/kings_quest_1_2_3

Kings Quest 4-6 $9.99
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/king%E2%80%99s_quest_4_5_6

Kings Quest 7 and 8 $9.99
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/king%E2%80%99s_quest_7_8

as a second alternative you could buy a physical copy of the Kings Quest collection... This has only games 1-7... but in my opinion 8 is NOT really part of the series anyway its more like a spinoff action game set in the same world as KQ.... I mean even the character is not part of the royal family.
http://www.amazon.com/Kings-Quest-Collection-Game-Pack-Pc/dp/B000ZN6MHC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298225107&sr=8-2

Comments

• edited February 2011
    It's also worth mentioning the the GOG version has only the AGI version of KQ1 and the Collection only has the SCI remake. Neither version has both.
  • edited February 2011
    The 15th anniversary has both... I own that too... but that doesnt include 7
    http://www.amazon.com/Kings-Quest-Collectors-PC/dp/B00164CHN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298228754&sr=8-1

the King's Quest games are probably the games I have bought different copies of the most.

I already know I will be buying TTG's Kings Quest on multiple platforms.

When I was a kid I tried to save up money to buy KQ V on the NES but when I had enough the store didn't have it... I was heart broken... This was the days before the net like it is now mind you.
  • edited February 2011
    If you don't feel like playing the games, I might suggest watching some let's plays on YouTube.
    Also Paw, a fan of the series recently started giving nice little summaries/reviews of the King's Quest games. Check those out.
  • edited February 2011
    To all the new-comers non-Sierra fans who don't really know about King's Quest - if you're a strictly adventure-game person, then yes, playing Mask of Eternity won't be your gig, so evade it. But if you like different genres, then I recommend playing MoE too, because, frankly, it IS an enjoyable action game (it's, well, it's actually a pretty good game). And, me personally, I enjoyed it more than I did half of the KQ adventure games.
  • edited February 2011
    The collection is quite cheap on Steam (10€ gets you KQ 1-7)
    KQ1-6 on GOG is 20€ alone. If you really must get Mask you should grab the collection on Steam and the third pack on GOG. For 20€ total.
    Spadge wrote: »
    If you don't feel like playing the games, I might suggest watching some let's plays on YouTube.
    Also Paw, a fan of the series recently started giving nice little summaries/reviews of the King's Quest games. Check those out.

and paw did an outstanding Let's Play of KQ5 too.
  • edited February 2011
    Spadge wrote: »

Nice.... I will have to watch those later.
  • edited February 2011
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    and paw did an outstanding Let's Play of KQ5 too.

I agree, Paw Dugan is pretty funny, and his retrospective on the KQ games is shaping up pretty well.

He's about to livestream a play-through of King's Quest VI as I type. I'm looking forward to it.
  • edited February 2011
    If you get the boxed collection that came out years ago for Windows XP there are unofficial patches on the internet which update the Dosbox version used to play the games. This offers better graphics options and compatibility with Windows Vista and Windows 7. It also removes the disc check, which is nice.

I would link directly but I do not have the bookmark anymore, I just made backups of the files. A google search should find it though.
  • edited February 2011
    I have that disc too... does it allow you to use the nicer portraits for when the characters are talking in KQ6? or the flat looking ones?
  • edited February 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I have that disc too... does it allow you to use the nicer portraits for when the characters are talking in KQ6? or the flat looking ones?
    DOSBox uses the DOS version of KQ6, which has the low-resolution character portraits. If you want to get the high-res portraits, though, run the game as the Windows version in ScummVM.
  • edited February 2011
    ScummVM runs SCI games now? O_o Heck, soon it will emulate EVERYTHING! :D
  • edited February 2011
    Farlander wrote: »
    ScummVM runs SCI games now? O_o Heck, soon it will emulate EVERYTHING! :D

Yes, it runs up to SCI1.1, so all the games until the Windows version of KQ6. The newer games are in development.
  • edited February 2011
    I am horrible at figuring this stuff out... any way you could give me a tutorial on how to get it to work on Scummvm ATMachine? I would greatly appreciate it.. I have not been able to play KQ6 like I did when I was a kid for way too long.
  • edited February 2011
    We actually own all the King's Quest games, and pretty much every major adventure game made during the '80s and '90s, though quite a few of them are on hard or floppy disc so are essentially useless. Does ScummVM play Sierra games as well? I never bothered checking.

Apparently Activision released the King's Quest and Space Quest collections on Steam but for some inexplicable reason they are unobtainable in Australia. This is annoying because I wouldn't mind having them tied to my account. I may just pick them up on GoG.

Edit: Looks like you guys were busy talking about ScummVM while I was posting anyway. And in the process answered my question.
  • edited February 2011
    I am horrible at figuring this stuff out... any way you could give me a tutorial on how to get it to work on Scummvm ATMachine? I would greatly appreciate it.. I have not been able to play KQ6 like I did when I was a kid for way too long.
    Put the game files (including the stuff on the CD, if you didn't get it digitally) into a folder. Then download and install ScummVM (either the current stable release or the newest daily build will do). Start it up, click the "Add Game" button, point it to your KQ6 directory, and then select the Windows version in the preferences box. (It'll only work for the CD version, though--that is, the one with voices.)

There are a few VERY minor visual bugs but nothing major or game-breaking. It's pretty cool to see the high-res portraits again, after not being able to play the Windows version of KQ6 for years myself.
  • edited February 2011
    KuroShiro wrote: »
    Yes, it runs up to SCI1.1, so all the games until the Windows version of KQ6. The newer games are in development.

Is CD-Windows Quest for Glory IV among those newer games in development at the moment, by any chance?
  • edited February 2011
    Is CD-Windows Quest for Glory IV among those newer games in development at the moment, by any chance?
    That runs fine in DOSBox as long as you have the timer code patches installed. Personally, I prefer DOSBox for most games and ScummVM for what DOSBox can't run.
  • edited February 2011

Getting it to work is actually quite easy -- simply install ScummVM (version 1.2.1 or the daily build), and then find your original CDs/floppies and copy the contents to a folder on your HD. You can delete any .exe, .txt and .drv files if you want as they aren't required. Then just run ScummVM, click 'Add Game', navigate to the folder where you put the files and click 'Choose'. It should be added to the game list, and will run.

For the CD version you can also rip the audio track using a program like cdEx, rename it to 'track1', this will make the 'Girl in the Tower' song play properly at the end.

Yes it is. All the SCI games are, though it may take a while :).
  • edited February 2011
    ATMachine wrote: »
    That runs fine in DOSBox as long as you have the timer code patches installed. Personally, I prefer DOSBox for most games and ScummVM for what DOSBox can't run.

Wait, DOSBox runs Windows 3.x stuff? O_o Since when? God I feel stupid :D
  • edited February 2011
    I'm not sure what an ATMachine is, but getting it to work is actually quite easy -- simply install ScummVM (version 1.2.1 or the daily build), and then find your original CDs/floppies and copy the contents to a folder on your HD. You can delete any .exe, .txt and .drv files if you want as they aren't required. Then just run ScummVM, click 'Add Game', navigate to the folder where you put the files and click 'Choose'. It should be added to the game list, and will run.

For the CD version you can also rip the audio track using a program like cdEx, rename it to 'track1', this will make the 'Girl in the Tower' song play properly at the end.
    Yep. Oh, do make sure to select "Windows Version" instead of the DOS version in the preferences box of ScummVM, though.

And what's an ATMachine? Easy! That's me!
  • edited February 2011
    Windows? I've always run Quest for Glory IV in DOS. I wasn't talking about the Windows version, I'm afraid.

EDIT: Oh, stupid me, I see you did say Windows version in the first place. What're the differences with the DOS version?
  • edited February 2011
    Windows? I've always run Quest for Glory IV in DOS. I wasn't talking about the Windows version, I'm afraid.

I was talking about Windows version, though.
  • edited February 2011
    I was talking about Windows version, though.
    Yeah, I saw, sorry. Are there any differences compared to the DOS version?
  • edited February 2011
    And what's an ATMachine? Easy! That's me!

Haha, yes I realized that and edited it out :D :: feels stupid ::
    Yeah, I saw, sorry. Are there any differences compared to the DOS version?

The differences are the high-res graphics in places, and the B&W windows icons I believe.
  • edited February 2011
    Haha, yes I realized that and edited it out :D :: feels stupid ::

The differences are the high-res graphics in places, and the B&W windows icons I believe.

It also had less game-killing bugs than the DOS version (at least they didn't manifest themselves that much in any way) which is why I always preferred it.

Now that I think about it, I also remember that the DOS version didn't have that cool flaming sword effect for the Paladin.
  • edited February 2011
    It also had less game-killing bugs than the DOS version (at least they didn't manifest themselves that much in any way) which is why I always preferred it.

Now that I think about it, I also remember that the DOS version didn't have that cool flaming sword effect for the Paladin.
    IIRC, the DOS version of the QFG4 CD release did include the flaming sword. It was the floppy disk release that left it out by mistake.
  • edited February 2011
    OMG I just updated my version of Scummvm and did what you guys said using my old old CD copy and clicked the talk bubble over the hill on the beach and viola..... "HELLO"

just so people can see what we are talking about if they are not aware.... here is the difference

Alexander saying Hello Windows on the left ... DOS on the right....
    He once again looks like Kyle McLaughlin circa twin peaks era.
    hellof.jpg

I really hope TTG include the talking portraits to their game.... I know its less cinematic... but there is a certain charm to it.
  • edited February 2011
    Alexander looks like he's getting ready to smoke some pole. Must be the TSL version.

On a more serious note, I liked the dialog portraits, too, but I don't see them being relevant in a game nowadays. The main reason they were done in the first place was because of the low resolution and low detail on the game sprites. Most of the actual sprites in Sierra games didn't even have visible facial features. It's hard to relate to characters when you can't see their faces, and it makes conversations fall kind of flat. The dialog boxes were an integral solution to this. They aren't necessary in a game that actually has good graphics. ;)
  • edited February 2011
    Oh I am fully aware of the reasons they had them.... Sierra even got rid of them as soon as they could... but it would be kind of cool to have them in somewhere.
  • edited February 2011
    Oh I am fully aware of the reasons they had them.... Sierra even got rid of them as soon as they could... but it would be kind of cool to have them in somewhere.
    Perhaps a talking portrait as a character that has a frame designed just like the frame for character portraits. =P
  • edited February 2011
    I personally think that would fit in rather well.

also on a related note... Kings Quest 6 was the very first CD I had ever owned we had just got a new computer my mom bought the game for me when she bought the PC... I didn't even own a CD player at the time... The CD-ROM seemed like some sort of space-age technology to me... I still own it.
  • edited February 2011
    Yes it is. All the SCI games are, though it may take a while :).

No, it's not. QFG4 is an SCI32 (SCI2, or something later than SCI1.1 anyway) game and is technically not officially supported yet. Some games might open but there will be a myriad of bugs.

If you have Win3.x you can install it inside DOSBox. That's what I did and I run all my Sierra Windows versions that way. There are tutorials on the VOGONS forums.
  • edited February 2011
    No, it's not. QFG4 is an SCI32 (SCI2, or something later than SCI1.1 anyway) game and is technically not officially supported yet. Some games might open but there will be a myriad of bugs.

He asked if it was in development, not if it was supported. It is. :rolleyes: SCI2+ is currently being worked on.
  • edited February 2011
    So do the originals run on scummvm or not?
  • edited February 2011
    prizna wrote: »
    So do the originals run on scummvm or not?

1-6 do, 7+8 do not.
  • edited February 2011
    The GOG.com 7+8 bundle for $10 works on newer systems though.
  • edited February 2011
    I used to have the King's Quest Collection 2 and it came with the Windows version of King's Quest VI. It had the DOS character portraits.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited February 2011
    I bought the King's Quest Collection (1-7) when it was on sale at Steam for Christmas.

I'll probably pick up King's Quest 7+8 at GOG.com if it drops to $5 during a sale to complete the series.

I used to own a few King's Quest games back when I was a little girl, but I don't think I ever finished them. Of course, I thought the same thing about Space Quest, but when I played through Space Quest V I realized I completed it when I was younger, but forgot that I had. The only King's Quest game I ever got through far enough to maybe complete back then was King's Quest VI. I remember that game being my favorite.

I'm playing through the King's Quest games on ScummVM now, and I'm currently playing King's Quest V. Once I get to six I'll finally be able to find out just how far I actually did get in that game back then. :)
  • edited February 2011
    I used to have the King's Quest Collection 2 and it came with the Windows version of King's Quest VI. It had the DOS character portraits.

I believe its because they used DOS box to run.
  • edited February 2011
    I didn't know the early Sierra games were working well in Scumm now either... great news! I just copied all the files from my King's Quest VI CD over to my PC and got the Windows version working in ScummVM! Cool stuff!

Does anyone know how to get ScummVM to be fullscreen and yet also keep the image to a smaller centered box? DosBox does this and that is how I prefer to play these old games, kept a smaller image size yet with black around them to avoid seeing the desktop while I play.

Thanks in advance.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.