What's with all the aggression on this forum?

edited March 2011 in Kings Quest Game
I've mentioned before that I'm relatively new to these forums. I've been a huge King's Quest fan since I was a little kid, so a new KQ announcement naturally attracted me to this message board. At first I was quite excited to see such a dedicated community, but over the course of these past few weeks I've picked up on a fair bit of hostile aggression, making this place (in my opinion), not as pleasant as it could be.

I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same way? I've been active on several other adventure gaming forums throughout the years (SierraGamers, SierraForums, Cort-X, and even Sierra's own forums before they were shut down, just to name a few), and this one seems to have the most hostile group of posters by far.

I don't mean to single anyone out specifically. I understand that we're all quite opinionated and feel strongly about Sierra, Telltale, King's Quest, and Roberta Williams in one way or another. But the fact that we all share the same passion should bring us together, right?

If you feel the same way, maybe we can all (emphasis on all) try a bit better to stay cordial with our comments? And remember, we can always agree to disagree.

Comments

• CezCez
    edited March 2011
    you can't really do that with Anakin around.... the guy turns any comment made into a hate TSL statement (even if it has nothing to do with it). And I'm not even kidding! I'm actually starting to seriously think there's something wrong with the guy. That just can't be normal.

But, other than that, I agree. This game will have tons and tons of things to love about, and tons of things to dislike about most likely. Just like any game based on something we all love that is not being made by the original designers.
  • edited March 2011
    SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!!

Just kidding... nah stick around there are plenty of really great people here... There are also a few very opinionated people who for the most part mean you no harm.
    Cez wrote: »
    you can't really do that with Anakin around.... the guy turns any comment made into a hate TSL statement (even if it has nothing to do with it). And I'm not even kidding! I'm actually starting to seriously think there's something wrong with the guy. That just can't be normal.

But, other than that, I agree. This game will have tons and tons of things to love about, and tons of things to dislike about most likely. Just like any game based on something we all love that is not being made by the original designers.

Not cool man... cut the guy some slack... I mean his Mom is dead.... The Emperor is creeping all over him... He cant touch his girlfriend because he is part of a religious cult... and his BFF just cut off his limbs and lit him on fire... EMPATHY DUDE... look it up... :D
  • edited March 2011
    I'm quite vocal and passionate about my opinions, but I'm never hostile toward anybody. I respect each and every one here.
  • edited March 2011
    MI, my post wasn't directed at you or anyone else in particular. More about us as a group on the whole and the overall vibes I've felt here thus far. I think being vocal is fine, and being passionate is awesome.

P.S. loved your work in KQIII :)
  • edited March 2011
    Yes some of us have had our hostile moments in the past and have since gotten over them.

Anakin, however, is solely responsible for the death-by-strangling of a great many stuffed giraffes. In fact I intend to see to it that strangling a stuffed giraffe makes it into our next game somehow.
  • edited March 2011
    wilco64256 wrote: »
    Yes some of us have had our hostile moments in the past and have since gotten over them.

Anakin, however, is solely responsible for the death-by-strangling of a great many stuffed giraffes. In fact I intend to see to it that strangling a stuffed giraffe makes it into our next game somehow.

Cool!
    Make sure it's an emo Giraffe who has an overly complex backstory.
  • edited March 2011
    There has definitely been some negativity toward the new KQ. While I don't really believe most of it is warranted, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I wouldn't categorize the forum as hostile, but I have a feeling a lot of this will go away once we start getting more info on the game.
  • edited March 2011
    There has definitely been some negativity toward the new KQ. While I don't really believe most of it is warranted, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I wouldn't categorize the forum as hostile, but I have a feeling a lot of this will go away once we start getting more info on the game.

Na. This game is DOA.
    The AGDI and TSL people managed to make it hip to hate even before a screenshot came out.
  • edited March 2011
    Cool!

Well, obviously. :) He'll be a bi nympho, too. With a blog.
  • edited March 2011
    Cool!

You seem to be the only character named Anakin Skywalker that I actually like.
  • edited March 2011
    Na. This game is DOA.
    The AGDI and TSL people managed to make it hip to hate even before a screenshot came out.

LOL. When have any of us said we would HATE the game? Concerns have been expressed, sure, some doubt here and there, but that's all.

For my part, I generally try my best to be courteous to everyone online.
  • edited March 2011
    That remains to be seen - I certainly won't ever be a hater, even if I don't like the game. I can just walk away and ignore it and do something else with my time.

My own personal feelings aside, somebody once said that "King's Quest fans are really difficult to please." Probably the understatement of the decade.
  • edited March 2011
    KatieHal wrote: »
    Well, obviously. :) He'll be a bi nympho, too. With a blog.

And he needs to have twelve minute long inner monologues about his tortured soul and his crushing sadness while looking at a hot transsexual Zebra. And he also needs to get into overlong conversations full of overly emotional cliches.

And he needs to be a sort of Chosen Giraffe who is really, unbeknown to him, the son of a member of a powerful, evil people and this needs to be revealed in an "OMG REALLY?" sort of fashion.

Go for it. Angst Quest.
  • edited March 2011
    Na. This game is DOA.

I'm a diehard KQ fan, I really enjoyed AGDI's games, and I also feel that Telltale's past games have been simplistic, yet I'm still optimistic and excited about their new KQ.
  • edited March 2011
    Na. This game is DOA.

yep it's a conspiracy.
  • edited March 2011
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    yep it's a conspiracy.

No, just spitefulness, jealousy and resentment that TT got the license and they didn't. They feel they deserve the license more.
  • edited March 2011
    No, just spitefulness, jealousy and resentment that TT got the license and they didn't. They feel they deserve the license more.

Come on Anakin, cut it out. This is exactly the kind of stuff I was talking about.
  • edited March 2011

Well I can't speak for the AGDI crew but I can say for certain that those of us over at Phoenix are perfectly content with how things have worked out.
  • edited March 2011
    It's cool how you've completley made this up and made it the center of a crusade against a certain subset of forum users.
  • edited March 2011
    Well I can't speak for the AGDI crew but I can say for certain that those of us over at Phoenix are perfectly content with how things have worked out.

I'm sure :rolleyes:
    Considering Cez told me in PM how it'd essentially be the worst thing ever back around December. How it'd be "make me wish (POS) got the license."
  • edited March 2011
    I'm sure :rolleyes:
    Considering Cez told me in PM how it'd essentially be the worst thing ever back around December. How it'd be "make me wish (POS) got the license."

You'd be surprised how much can change in just a few months. Telltale's game may turn out to be totally awesome, I guess we'll see.
  • edited March 2011
    Daventry wrote: »
    MI, my post wasn't directed at you or anyone else in particular. More about us as a group on the whole and the overall vibes I've felt here thus far. I think being vocal is fine, and being passionate is awesome.

Oh, I realise that. I was just signing up my name for the non-hostile member roll call.
    P.S. loved your work in KQIII :)

Thank you! :)

As a member of AGDI, we wish things would have gone differently seeing as we've quite a few complete titles to our name and we had some aspirations, but I'm honestly not surprised that ActiVision would choose Telltale over us. I'm just surprised that Telltale themselves were going after it all this time even when they knew that these fan groups had their own aspirations of acquiring the license for an official sequel(s) and have been working to that end for some time. Suddenly I felt like it was a race all along and whoever came out on top was the winner. This changed my view of Telltale somewhat from being a group that cared about fans to a simple business like any other out to make money on anything they could get their hands on and to acquire it at any cost. I'm not upset and I don't hate Telltale for it, I'm just disappointed that I was disillusioned.
  • edited March 2011
    I'm definitely excited about AGDI's upcoming original game. Planning to buy it and I hope you guys do really well with it.
  • edited March 2011
    I'm definitely excited about AGDI's upcoming original game. Planning to buy it and I hope you guys do really well with it.

Oh yeah, I just saw the screenshots of Mage's Initiation yesterday, they look great! Very excited!
  • edited March 2011
    Oh yeah--I'm definitely looking forward to Mage Initiation, it looks cool and like it'll be a fun game :)
  • CezCez
    edited March 2011
    This was not what I was referring to, Anakin. Telltale has always been fine in my book. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Can you please point me to where we've said something bad about this game?
  • edited March 2011
    This was not what I was referring to, Anakin. Telltale has always been fine in my book. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Can you please point me to where we've said something bad about this game?

You guys (team wise) have been diplomatic, however...the fan game fans in general are the ones who I noticed have been the most against this game. They've gotten used to fanservice.

RIIIGHT. That's why you said something was going to happen in a few months with the KQ license that would make me wish you guys got the license. The only thing I can think of that's happened with the KQ license since that PM is TT announcing they got it...Odd.
  • edited March 2011
    Anakin if you don't cease with this behavior, it will warrant you and infraction and if it continues...I will warrant a ban.
  • CezCez
    edited March 2011
    You guys (team wise) have been diplomatic, however...the fan game fans in general are the ones who I noticed have been the most against this game. They've gotten used to fanservice.

RIIIGHT. That's why you said something was going to happen in a few months with the KQ license that would make me wish you guys got the license. The only thing I can think of that's happened with the KQ license since that PM is TT announcing they got it...Odd.

And this just shows how you know nothing about what was happening behind curtains. Like I said, stop putting words in my mouth. That's just unwarranted and honestly, annoying.
  • edited March 2011
    Also, I didn't particularly enjoy The Silver Lining, and I prefer 1:1 remakes(no offense intended, Cez and MI).
  • CezCez
    edited March 2011
    Also, I didn't particularly enjoy The Silver Lining, and I prefer 1:1 remakes(no offense intended, Cez and MI).

non taken, man. You are in all your rights to dislike our game. It has a very specific and different tone and that's a move we decided to take very consciously, but where everybody in the team was ok with it. I think it's like some people have said in the past, we are more akin to the KQ6 crowd --not everyone who liked KQ6 of course. But, we are happy with it, some things I would have done differently from the beginning in hindsight, especially toning down the melodrama --you live, you learn--, but overall I'm still very proud of it.
  • edited March 2011
    non taken, man. You are in all your rights to dislike our game.
    "Dislike" is probably too strong. It just didn't suit my palette, I guess? I actually should probably give it another go at some point, actually, maybe when more of it is out. I don't know what I'd think of it if it was a commercial title or a "real" sequel, but I know it's not and that changes a lot about the way it's handled.
  • edited March 2011

As a member of AGDI, we wish things would have gone differently seeing as we've quite a few complete titles to our name and we had some aspirations, but I'm honestly not surprised that ActiVision would choose Telltale over us. I'm just surprised that Telltale themselves were going after it all this time even when they knew that these fan groups had their own aspirations of acquiring the license for an official sequel(s) and have been working to that end for some time. Suddenly I felt like it was a race all along and whoever came out on top was the winner. This changed my view of Telltale somewhat from being a group that cared about fans to a simple business like any other out to make money on anything they could get their hands on and to acquire it at any cost. I'm not upset and I don't hate Telltale for it, I'm just disappointed that I was disillusioned.

That's a bit naive view. Granted, you have done complete games, but most of them haven't been commercial and your only commercial game hasen't really proven, that you would be up to the task.

IMO it's all well and dandy, if fans create stuff for other fans, but it's a bit odd, if those same fans start to think, that because they've done some free stuff in the name of fandom, they're serious contenders in business world.
  • edited March 2011
    This changed my view of Telltale somewhat from being a group that cared about fans to a simple business like any other out to make money on anything they could get their hands on and to acquire it at any cost. I'm not upset and I don't hate Telltale for it, I'm just disappointed that I was disillusioned.
    I have to say, that comes across as having been a VERY naive viewpoint.
  • edited March 2011
    Unfortunately, a certain member here, who passionately hates The Silver Lining and never misses an opportunity to vomit bile on it and its creators, was so horrified to learn that Cez once expressed wishes to get a license from Activision and work on more Sierra titles, that upon hearing Telltale Games got it instead of him, this certain member became TTG's King's Quest #1 fanboy and decided to defend it with the same amount of fervor he shows when he demolishes TSL, because he is deeply convinced that Cez will get a license if TTG fails. And anyone here who has reserves based on TTG's past and present works or constructive criticism for the project is clearly a hater and an enemy and promptly get attacked by this certain member before being told "not to play it if you don't like it" (an advice this certain member obviously cannot follow when it comes to TSL), an attitude which tends to push everyone here on the edge.

I think that if you ignore this certain member's posts and forget the various replies his trolling generated, you will find that most people here are interested in the project, we want it to succeed, we want it to blow our minds away, each of us have constructive criticism, wishes and suggestions for this new King's Quest game, suggestions we believe will result in a better game, and we all hope its creators will grow in confidence and give these a serious thought while the project is still on paper, while it can be easily modified, and not when the first episode will be out and major changes will be impossible to implement. We don't necessary agree all the time, but most people here can debate in a civil manner.
    This changed my view of Telltale somewhat from being a group that cared about fans to a simple business like any other out to make money on anything they could get their hands on and to acquire it at any cost. I'm not upset and I don't hate Telltale for it, I'm just disappointed that I was disillusioned.

Why can't it be both? Why can't they care about fans and make money in the process, so they can pay their employees, fund their next games and keep doing this job they love? Isn't it AGDI's goal too?

I don't believe AGDI had a chance of getting a license. Activision only cares for profit, between a small team that remakes old school adventure games, in 320 x 200, on PC and for free and a company that creates and advertises original games in 3D on multiple consoles, if you care for nothing but profit the choice is easy to make. Even if AGDI was alone in the race, I don't think Activision would have listened, between the moos of their five or six multi billion cash cows.

Like I pointed out on AGDI's forums, Telltale getting a license is probably the best thing that could happen to AGDI, because if I were them and wanted to remakes adventure games on a commercial level, I'd seize this opportunity to contact Activision (or even Telltale), show my download figures and try to persuade them to produce an indie old school remakes line alongside their 3D adventure games line, bringing my huge fanbase to Telltale's store.
  • edited March 2011
    It's my opinion and my experience and I stand by it. Call me naive all you want.
  • edited March 2011
    blueskirt wrote: »
    Like I pointed out on AGDI's forums, Telltale getting a license is probably the best thing that could happen to AGDI, because if I were them and wanted to remakes adventure games on a commercial level, I'd seize this opportunity to contact Activision (or even Telltale), show my download figures and try to persuade them to produce an indie old school remakes line alongside their 3D adventure games line, bringing my huge fanbase to Telltale's store.

I actually think this would be a really good idea. Telltale would presumably be even more approachable than Activision, and if AGDI was able to get Telltale's backing, they'd be a lot more likely to get permission from Activision to sell their existing remakes commercially (which could open the door for future commercial efforts as well.)

Of course, (sorry, MI), AGDI would have to get over its pretty clear case of sour grapes first. ;)
  • edited March 2011
    AGDI's remakes are fun and all but not up to the quality I'd be willing to fork money over for. I've had no interest in their Al Emmo either. I'm not much of a fan of the their close-up art style and other things. I'm also not particularly a fan of their changes to the story. It's way to complicated.

If TSL was being marketed I don't think I'd be willing to fork cash for it as well. It's not polished enough, and I certainly don't like the direction certain aspects of the story are taking. The first episode was only 30 minutes long!

I've gotten most of TellTale games, and so far I've mostly enjoyed every one. Perhaps my least favorite was Strong Bad, but that's probably because I don't entirely get the humor or I found the world to be to bland for my tastes. Some of the characters annoy me.

But I admit Telltale could do something to KQ that I wouldn't have interest in buying future seasons as well. But it's sure going to look alot more polished, and up to industry standards.
  • edited March 2011
    My distaste for a Telltale KQ is not sprung from that, though. It's genuinely about how I've seen Telltale diminishing in the past and has nothing to do with them actually acquiring a license before anybody else. I should also note that not everybody on the AGDI team shares either opinion.

And yeah, making commercial remakes is all well and good but what if we wanted to make sequels? That can't happen now. Just making remakes can get boring. Why do you think we've been so creative to take such liberties with the storylines?
  • edited March 2011
    My distaste for a Telltale KQ is not sprung from that, though. It's genuinely about how I've seen Telltale diminishing in the past and has nothing to do with them actually acquiring a license before anybody else. I should also note that not everybody on the AGDI team shares either opinion.

And yeah, making commercial remakes is all well and good but what if we wanted to make sequels? That can't happen now. Just making remakes can get boring. Why do you think we've been so creative to take such liberties with the storylines?

We already got a sequel dealing with 1,000 year old plots, reinventions and utter re imaginings of key characters, deep conspiracies which tie all the originals together as tight as a Botox recipient's face. No thanks.

If KQ2VGA is any indication of what an AGDI sequel would be like, it'd be TSL without the emo-ness.

The only fan group I'd trust at this point is IA.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.