Sierra Discussion

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Valiento wrote: »
    Most of her answer in the talkspot interview was basically made in 'hindsight', she couldn't even remember what they initially had planned to do with the character, suggesting it wasn't that important.
    I don't think not remembering something suggests anything other than she didn't remember something. I can't remember the name of my best friend in gradeschool or the last name of my best friend from middle school, but that doesn't mean that wasn't important to me at the time.
  • edited March 2011
    My point though, is almost everything we know about that event that's concrete, comes from Mark Seibert explaining it in interviews. See the making of video for another example. He is the one that seems to suggest that Connor just follows her up to the top of the tower were she exposes herself, and then Connor is forced to fight her (it fits that she "did more than just be killed outside the tower", and "seen doing things inside of her tower" to reach the top, but its a far cry from being 'extra puzzles' to solve).

Actually, come to think of it, that would put her in the same place as the Henchman is in the final game. So its possible they replaced the witch encounter with the Henchman up there.

Seriously if you forgot the name of your best friend just months after spending time with them for 'three years', that's pretty bad! This interview seriously occured only months after the game's release (the game was in development three years before that). That's some short term memory loss there!
  • edited March 2011
    Early today, while reading through the historical stuff some of you have been posting, I went to Wikipedia's page on Sierra to check something. The second paragraph of the intro seemed rather odd. I just checked again and the prank has been fixed, but it really cracked me up when I saw it. :D
  • edited March 2011
    I would like to imagine what it would be like if Sierra was still around but after the abomination that is King's Quest 8 was shoved into my unsuspecting hands I say that the company's death was completely justified.

As long as Telltalle makes certain to do the exact opposite of that horrible game they will have my attention.
  • edited March 2011
    Roberta Williams (Talkspot):
    "I decided King's Quest was going to go 3-d while I was working on Phantasmagoria. That was in, around 1994, maybe 95, somewhere around there. It was about the time Doom came out, and it just made a splash. Everybody was playing Doom. Other 3-d games were beginning to come out around that time too. It just became clear that computer games were going to be going 3-d. I pretty much made up my mind during the development of Phantasmagoria. I knew I was going to be doing the next King's Quest."

This is interesting, another one of the original ideas for KQ8 that was nixed during development;
    "Mark and I entertained the idea of making it multiplayer also, but that was nixed. It was like, well were doning 3-d, and that's enough, you know, for now. Maybe Multiplayer later."

"When I started development on King's Quest Mask of Eternity, we also decided, we were thinking at the time to make it multiplayer, and also 3-d, but we dropped the multiplayer aspect of it. It was just too much to try to develop, and also develop 3-d."

So one of the original ideas that was cut, was that Mask have ended up being a multi-player game (rather than single-player, or in addition to). That would have made it even more different than the older KQ than it turned out to be in the actual release!
  • edited March 2011
    LOL gotta love Wikipedia, that's really funny.
  • edited March 2011
    Har har har!
  • edited March 2011
    If I may only choose one, then no need to think twice. Definitely GK4, with Jane Jenson as the writer. I have recently replayed GK3 (again), I think a GK4 in 3D is a good continuity to the series. Episodic format will also work great for a suspense thriller, with a cliff hanger at the end of each episode. I know that Telltale's strength so far is on some light-hearted adventures, but I have confident that they have the ability to do more serious titles just as great. In sum, bring back GK PLEASE!!!
  • edited March 2011
    Space Quest is probably my number 1 pick. After that I think both conquests games, I think they were pretty underrated overall, longbow in particular was awesome.
  • edited March 2011
    zounds! wrote: »
    Space Quest is probably my number 1 pick. After that I think both conquests games, I think they were pretty underrated overall, longbow in particular was awesome.

I agree, I think Longbow belongs up there with KQ and QfG, but sadly it never seems to get its due.
  • edited March 2011
    jcytam wrote: »
    If I may only choose one, then no need to think twice. Definitely GK4, with Jane Jenson as the writer. I have recently replayed GK3 (again), I think a GK4 in 3D is a good continuity to the series. Episodic format will also work great for a suspense thriller, with a cliff hanger at the end of each episode. I know that Telltale's strength so far is on some light-hearted adventures, but I have confident that they have the ability to do more serious titles just as great. In sum, bring back GK PLEASE!!!

With Telltale's approach of making the games as easy and casual as possible, I'd be more apprehensive about them taking on a Gabriel Knight or Police Quest game than the other Sierra franchises. The GK games in particular were always meant to make people think more and work harder to figure out what was going on and advance the plot. I really don't think I'd like to see that type of gameplay simplifed to the level of Back to the Future or Jurassic Park.
  • edited March 2011
    What I'd really like to see is a revival of the Space Quest series, specially if they could get Scott Murphy to be in the project.

Also, it'd be even better if they could make it an option to play parser-style instead of point-and-click, or have an option to have both.
  • edited March 2011
    I liked both Conquests, but I actually preferred Camelot :).
  • edited March 2011
    Wow. I guess my favourite options will be a new Quest for Glory game with the Coles or a new Leisure Suit Larry with al Lowe (otherwise, don't do it!) Will also "settle" for a new Gabriel Knight game with Jane Jensen or a new Space Quest with Scott Murphy. Just bring the original designers!
  • edited March 2011
    JonathanY wrote: »
    Wow. I guess my favourite options will be a new Quest for Glory game with the Coles or a new Leisure Suit Larry with al Lowe (otherwise, don't do it!) Will also "settle" for a new Gabriel Knight game with Jane Jensen or a new Space Quest with Scott Murphy. Just bring the original designers!

Why does no one mention Mark Crowe? :). I'd like to see any of the old Sierra people involved.
  • edited March 2011
    Nobody mentions Mark Crowe because Scott Murphy had a few things to say about him in his latest interview which sort of painted a negative picture about his character. Scott Murphy was the one who initially created Space Quest anyway and Mark's solo work on SQ5, while good, was no where near as good as the others with both the Two Guys (well, in my opinion anyway).
  • edited March 2011
    Nobody mentions Mark Crowe because Scott Murphy had a few things to say about him in his latest interview which sort of painted a negative picture about his character. Scott Murphy was the one who initially created Space Quest anyway and Mark's solo work on SQ5, while good, was no where near as good as the others with both the Two Guys (well, in my opinion anyway).

Well, regardless of whatever his character may or may not be, he did contribute great things to the Space Quest games :).
  • edited March 2011
    Seeing as Scott is the father of Space Quest it's almost an affront to fans to have Mark Crowe involved in an SQ related game after Scott had such things to say about him.
  • edited March 2011
    Seeing as Scott is the father of Space Quest it's almost an affront to fans to have Mark Crowe involved in an SQ related game after Scott had such things to say about him.

I don't agree with your views but I enjoy your music a lot. An artist can be an asshole and still produce good art. Moreover, neither you, nor Chris, Britney or Stijn created King's Quest, yet you managed to nail the tone and create a good game that's true to the originals. Just saying ;)
  • edited March 2011
    LOL I see what you did there.
  • edited March 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    LOL I see what you did there.

Well Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe are co-creators of the series, so no no matter who had the initial idea, they both created it together :). It would be nice to see Josh Mandel back too.
  • edited March 2011
    Radogol wrote: »
    I don't agree with your views but I enjoy your music a lot. An artist can be an asshole and still produce good art. Moreover, neither you, nor Chris, Britney or Stijn created King's Quest, yet you managed to nail the tone and create a good game that's true to the originals. Just saying ;)

Did....I just get called an asshole? :confused: ;)

That is a good point. Though, the main difference is that Scott doesn't like Mark whereas I don't think Roberta or Josh really have anything personal against AGDI or any other fan group. I never really enjoyed Mark's view of Space Quest as much as Scott's anyway. His EGA backgrounds were fantastic, though.
  • edited March 2011
    Did....I just get called an asshole? :confused: ;)

Of course not :) I was mostly referring to a quote by Brian K. Vaughan who once said "I, for example, am a pompous asshole, but my comics are genius!"
    Though, the main difference is that Scott doesn't like Mark whereas I don't think Roberta or Josh really have anything personal against AGDI or any other fan group.

Sure, but again, Murphy's opinions are based purely on Crowe's personality, not his skills as a designer. Besides, we haven't heard Crowe's side of the story.
  • edited March 2011
    I know that. I'm just pointing out how some fans would react.
  • edited March 2011
    Love how someone claimed Sierra attempted to contact Al Lowe multiple times to help with Magna Cum Laude, even though he says he never heard from anyone until after the game was done. I just changed that.
  • edited March 2011
    thom-22 wrote: »
    Early today, while reading through the historical stuff some of you have been posting, I went to Wikipedia's page on Sierra to check something. The second paragraph of the intro seemed rather odd. I just checked again and the prank has been fixed, but it really cracked me up when I saw it. :D

Hahaha! Awesome! :D Good find!
  • edited March 2011
    I always felt Sierra was like the Disney of the PC game industry. They, like Disney during the days of Walt, made the customer feel like he or she was part of the "Sierra Family."

Sierra, especially Sierra around 1988-1994, or so, was a company which had a certain magic and level of creativity that I don't think any company has, or ever will, live up to.
  • edited March 2011
    I do believe Lucasarts equaled or even surpassed Sierra in their heyday.
  • edited March 2011
    antoniomsg wrote: »

Their games may have been better developed plotwise or even puzzle-wise, I don't know, but I do know I really hated their interface. The LA interface turned me off from a lot of their games, even games I wanted to like such as Fate of Atlantis.

Also, their games' music had NOTHING on Golden Age Sierra game music.
  • edited March 2011
    Also, their games' music had NOTHING on Golden Age Sierra game music.

You do have to give credit to the iMUSE system, though.
  • edited March 2011
    Brainiac wrote: »

I just read about it...I have to be frank, I don't quite understand it or what was so innovative about. But I'm not very keen on tech stuff, though.
  • edited March 2011
    iMuse was indeed PHENOMENAL. Wathch the Monkey Island 2 Spceial Edition feature if you want to learn more about it. They explain the system and how they went about reproducing it digitally in easy-to-understand terms. I wish they would have utilised it a lot more after Monkey 2. The only games that really benefitted from it after that were non-adventures. Games like Dark Forces and Tie Fighter did very well with it.

But despite this, the classic Sierra soundtracks were always far better than LucasArts soundtracks (at least up to about 95/96).
  • edited March 2011
    antoniomsg wrote: »

There are a lot of LucasArts games I like better than Sierra games, but as far as technology/graphics/etc goes, Sierra was always several steps ahead of LucasArts.
    Brainiac wrote: »

Oh, absolutely. Walking around Woodtick is one of my favorite musical experiences in any piece of entertainment.
  • edited March 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Oh man Police Quest seemed so gritty and real when I was a kid.

Haha yeah, actually because of nostalgia, I still somewhat get that feeling when playing the games today :D
  • edited April 2011
    But despite this, the classic Sierra soundtracks were always far better than LucasArts soundtracks (at least up to about 95/96).

I assume that you're correct because MI 1 and 2 have the old soundtracks I still remember, while I still find myself humming the Space Quest and Quest for Glory themes to this day.
  • edited April 2011
    The one Lucasfilm game theme I really like, equally to many great Sierra tracks, is the Monkey Island opening tune... always really liked the melody there, and obviously filled to the rim with nostalgia.

But that tune aside, I agree Sierra had better soundtracks... many very memorable themes, the music in Gabriel Knight is probably amongst some of my absolute favourite Sierra music.

But I love a lot of it.
  • edited April 2011
    It's hard to argue that LeChuck's theme, the Voodoo Theme, and the SCUMM Bar theme aren't fantastic as well, but generally speaking I agree.
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah, the Monkey Island games have my favourite Lucasfilm/Arts soundtracks, the first two games anyway.
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah, the first two Monkey Islands are almost (almost!) the exception to the "rule." Some great tunes in Monkey Island 1 and 2. Very memorable themes. But on the whole, I just think Siebert, Allen, Brayman, Holmes, etc were just better composers. Completely my subjective opinion.
  • edited April 2011
    Hey, wait a second! How could you not mention the Curse of Monkey Island as one of your Lucasarts favourites? One of the things that I like about the game is that every screen, no matter how trivial, has a soundtrack dedicated to it. (I believe that this also existed in the Discworld game, in which one of my favourites is heard in a shed.) And many screens had several soundtracks as well! And one cannot forget 'A Pirate I was Meant to be.'
Sign in to comment in this discussion.