How should this game handle ingame deaths?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    I'm not saying deaths are annoying, I'm saying removing auto-save and forcing people to manually save is annoying, and not beneficial in any way to the game experience, nor does it in any tangible way increase difficulty.

But if a game handles saving in any situation that requires it, where's the pressure on the player to pay attention to anything? You can just wander along totally carelessly knowing that the game is holding your hand in case anything bad happens. Personally I prefer having to be responsible for covering my own tracks.
  • edited April 2011
    I'm not saying deaths are annoying, I'm saying removing auto-save and forcing people to manually save is annoying, and not beneficial in any way to the game experience, nor does it in any tangible way increase difficulty.

The whole point of death in any type of game, not just adventure, is to provide negative consequences for the player's careless actions. In an adventure game, it is careless to go through large sections of the game without saving. In a shooter, it is careless to run through large sections of the game without enough health, or without stopping to heal (actually I hate the magic recharge system from current shooters, but that's another story.) If you remove the consequences of careless play, you remove the player's responsibility to play the game intelligently. I'd say that is a pretty darn blatant decrease of difficulty.
  • edited April 2011
    wilco64256 wrote: »
    But if a game handles saving in any situation that requires it, where's the pressure on the player to pay attention to anything? You can just wander along totally carelessly knowing that the game is holding your hand in case anything bad happens. Personally I prefer having to be responsible for covering my own tracks.
    Lambonius wrote: »
    The whole point of death in any type of game, not just adventure, is to provide negative consequences for the player's careless actions. In an adventure game, it is careless to go through large sections of the game without saving. In a shooter, it is careless to run through large sections of the game without enough health, or without stopping to heal (actually I hate the magic recharge system from current shooters, but that's another story.) If you remove the consequences of careless play, you remove the player's responsibility to play the game intelligently. I'd say that is a pretty darn blatant decrease of difficulty.

If you can hit save at any point on your own, then all it is doing by removing auto-save is removing convenience. Nothing is getting harder except your ability to continue enjoying the game uninterrupted because you have to keep jabbing a save menu any time you accomplish anything significant. Also, no one on earth is going to just wildly charge through levels just because auto-save exists. The incentive to play intelligently is already present in the form of the desire to not repeatedly fail the same thing for hours on end.
  • edited April 2011

And I'm saying leaving in an autosave is not a real death.
    If you can hit save at any point on your own, then all it is doing by removing auto-save is removing convenience. Nothing is getting harder except your ability to continue enjoying the game uninterrupted because you have to keep jabbing a save menu any time you accomplish anything significant.

Yes, but then it's your responsibility and not that of the game itself. I think the argument here is mostly that we believe the gamer has too much convenience as it is. Yes, we believe that is part of the gameplay experience. It's psychological and it matters. Why should I care about what actions I take if the game won't let me fail? But the moment you do care about your actions the game becomes a lot more real, engaging, and ultimately a lot more fulfilling in the end.
  • edited April 2011
    And I'm saying leaving in an autosave is not a real death.

Yes, but then it's your responsibility and not that of the game itself. I think the argument here is mostly that we believe the gamer has too much convenience as it is. Yes, we believe that is part of the gameplay experience. It's psychological and it matters. Why should I care about what actions I take if the game won't let me fail? But the moment you do care about your actions the game becomes a lot more real, engaging, and ultimately a lot more fulfilling in the end.

How does this change if you can save whenever you want? You can just save, do random stupid crap, and reload, any time you want, so why does it make a difference if the game throws in a few auto-saves after you complete a section of the game or not? If you were arguing in favor of static save points (as in Resident Evil, or Dead Space) rather than constantly-available-manual-save, I could see your point, but currently, I am honestly confused as to how forcing you to interact with an immersion-destroying menu at all times is something you are seeing as a good thing.
  • edited April 2011
    Yes, you can save whenever you want. The game can't. That's a big difference. A huge difference. It's psychological. No, it doesn't make much sense especially with the way you're describing it, but it's true. And everything you're saying is absolutely correct. But that's the way the human mind operates. I just believe that the gamer should be responsible for the safety and continuation of his own gameplay because that adds more realism than staying immersed without having to exit to a menu does. Otherwise I just don't see the point because you just wouldn't care WHAT you do if you can't fail. It's a psychological fact that if one believes they receive no consequences for their actions (or if they don't care about those consequences) they don't care what they do. Because they don't have the responsibility. It's an extreme example but it's the perfect way to explain it.

And I don't see escaping to the menu "all the time" (I don't believe it's "all the time," either, you're exaggerating here) being distracting or "immersion-breaking." If you know what you're doing and you're being careful enough it becomes part of the gaming experience and you never even have to do it that often. I don't mind saving manually at all. I can't stand any game that saves for you. Checkpoint FPS's drive me insane, for instance. I love me my quick save keys.

Basically, I believe that the frustration that comes from losing game time due to death and no automatic saving is frustration with you the player, not the game. It's not the game's fault. It shouldn't be the one looking out for you. But everybody wants everything done for them all the time. But this has proven to be completely unfulfilling in every facet of life. You only truly enjoy something when you've done it yourself. Again, extreme examples but it's all the same and it certainly applies to video games. I just believe video games today cause gamers to be extremely lazy. Take BTTF. You don't even have to think to get through the game!
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah, as much as it might sound like just an unneccessary hassle to have to save manually, there really is a difference in how it feels to play.
    I think it's essential to leave this optional.

The problem having the game automatically save whenever danger lurks is that it's so easy to get into a pattern of not caring if you die and just going ahead at full speed, which completely changes the atmosphere as you now feel perfectly safe at all times.
    A bit how I feel about health automatically recharging in modern FPS games as opposed to good old health kits, but now I'm going too far off topic :p

Anyway, strange as it might sound, even though you can save manually whenever you want, it really does *feel* very different somehow, and this also allows you to choose how often you wish to save... you might want to let some time pass in between saves, I often do that in games... I used to save every 5 seconds but now I find it more fun to space them out a bit more (though I still do 'save early, save often', just not *as* often :p).

Anyway, rambling on as usual, but having a traditional save system should definitely be an option, and I can't see why it shouldn't be - I find it hard to imagine implementing an option like that could take very much effort on Telltales end.

Something I'm even more worried about though is - Telltale not including many deaths at all. Have they given any official statement on this? I can easily imagine a scenario where they decided to cut that specific part of what is very much what makes up Kings Quest, in a misguided attempt to make them more playable.
  • edited April 2011
    Armakuni wrote: »
    A bit how I feel about health automatically recharging in modern FPS games as opposed to good old health kits, but now I'm going too far off topic :p

Yes! I hate that! :) People may think they want to have certain features that do things for them (and unfortunately game developers deliver this *cough*nowalkinginjurassicpark*cough*) but ultimately the end result turns out to be extremely mediocre eventually as a result. Look at games like Call of Duty. They're not popular and the best selling games because of the checkpoint-laden single player campaigns (which are barely anything to speak of and are simply comprised of the same drivel over and over again). It's the multiplayer. Because that's the only way they can derive a new experience from the game; by playing with other human players. Most FPS games now are multiplayer games with a single player campaign tagged on as opposed to the other way around (the way it should be). And when you think about it, the relation of this being fun to an adventure game with deaths and no autosaves being fun is the human factor which is the only reliably varying factor in the entire equation. Human interactivity is what makes games fun. Whether it be just one person being responsible for most of his own gameplay in a game world, or playing with another human being in an otherwise completely structured and "choice-safe" FPS multiplayer game.

I'm rambling as well...
  • edited April 2011
    Being forced to even restart a single fight in a game is enough frustration for me to play to the best of my ability at all times. Furthermore, Amnesia uses an auto-save system, and I'm still scared to death of every noise and wet myself when I hear an enemy. Auto-save has no effect on my desire to do well in a game, and I think it's a ridiculous claim. I do not know anyone who would intentionally half-ass a game just because they knew it auto-saved regularly. No one wants to lose or die if they have any say in the matter, period.

Also, if a game has auto-save and manual save, and you don't want to use auto-save, just don't reload an auto-saved game. :p
  • edited April 2011
    At that point it's too much work to AVOID the autosave feature, which to me breaks the immersion.

This just proves that everybody has a valid opinion and nothing is a ridiculous claim. In short, it should be optional, which is what I've been arguing all along. I only keep on because you keep trying to prove how it's pointless and invalid when it in fact isn't.
  • edited April 2011
    Also, no one on earth is going to just wildly charge through levels just because auto-save exists. The incentive to play intelligently is already present in the form of the desire to not repeatedly fail the same thing for hours on end.

That's exactly how I (and a lot of other people) played through Tomb Raider Legend, Tomb Raider Underworld, and both Drake's Fortune games. There's not even any actual need for health packs in the TR games because if you get low on health all you have to do is die and the game gives you a brand new full health bar.
  • edited April 2011
    In short, it should be optional, which is what I've been arguing all along. I only keep on because you keep trying to prove how it's pointless and invalid when it in fact isn't.

I've said it should be an option the entire time, I completely agree that more options = better, I'm just trying to decipher why it makes a difference to anyone if you save after a boss fight/new section of the game, or if the game does it for you.
    That's exactly how I (and a lot of other people) played through Tomb Raider Legend, Tomb Raider Underworld, and both Drake's Fortune games. There's not even any actual need for health packs in the TR games because if you get low on health all you have to do is die and the game gives you a brand new full health bar.

Why would you intentionally ruin the experience for yourself by playing like a careless idiot, just because you are able to? How is it fun to play a game intentionally as stupidly as possible, dying over and over and over just so you can later complain that auto-save made you do it? I just don't understand this mentality.
  • edited April 2011
    If you're really looking for "immersion", you shouldn't be able to "save" at all. Because you can't save and reload in life, man!

Bt
  • edited April 2011
    If you're really looking for "immersion", you shouldn't be able to "save" at all. Because you can't save and reload in life, man!

Bt

That's how most games worked in the NES era, but then again, most NES games are less than 1-2 hrs long from start to finish if you know what you're doing. In games that are anywhere from 10 to 100 hours long, saving is kind of a necessity. :p
  • edited April 2011
    It's psychological. No, it doesn't make much sense especially with the way you're describing it, but it's true. And everything you're saying is absolutely correct. But that's the way the human mind operates.

It's funny how this is, like you say, it's psychological. The logic behind what SHODANFreeman is saying is airtight, and yet if given the choice, I would choose to manage my own saves and face the consequences. But it's hard to explain why...

Some other haphazard thoughts on the topic:

While it's fine for a poll, I don't think presenting users with three different, somewhat related choices would work well -- as a sometimes software designer, I can tell you that's usually just bad user experience. And realistically, knowing Telltale, I'd have to guess the game will, by default, offer a "Try Again" button that just puts the player right back to before where the death occurred (as in KQ7). Like most everyone else here, I hope they include some alternate choice for old-school players. Maybe a setting that would change the death screen to have only a "Reload" button instead of "Try Again"? That's just off the top of my head, as something that sounds straightforward and not too difficult to implement.

I also think that the circumstances of in-game deaths might influence how they're handled. For instance, if all of the deaths can be reasonably anticipated by players, then that might suggest one way of handling them that might not be best for a game where deaths are more random. (Personally, I've always thought KQ was about the former and not random, but it seems to get accused of having random deaths more often than is warranted.)

Finally, I hope that the possibility of death is given the same tone as it was in the original games, that deaths aren't turned into some kind of inside joke or parody, or a gimmick meant to appease KQ fans.
  • edited April 2011
    I've said it should be an option the entire time, I completely agree that more options = better, I'm just trying to decipher why it makes a difference to anyone if you save after a boss fight/new section of the game, or if the game does it for you.

Have you played KQ6? Have you played KQ7?

Don't you see how being responsible for the proper continuation of your own gameplay after death increases the suspense and realism?

In KQ6, if you go blundering about the Island of the Beast, and click on the area where the gardener is without paying attention, you get skewered through the chest by a stone arrow. I was on a fast playthrough of the game once and accidentally clicked in the upper area of the screen. "Oh, damn." I believe is what I would have said.

If in KQ7, such a thing were to happen, the only thing I would emote is a mild =\ because the game will start you right back before you died with zero consequences for your carelessness.

In my opinion, having a Retry option that loads the game to a point immediately before death provides no more challenge or suspense than having no death at all. This isn't to say that I don't like Monkey Island. I do. I'm saying that KQ7's difficulty is on par with Monkey Island whereas the earlier KQ games up the bar on suspense, immersion and difficulty by forcing you to personally take consequences for being needlessly careless. They force you to pay attention. If you don't, you may die. If you die, you may have to go back a ways because you didn't take the time to save your progress recently.

KQ's way of treating death isn't better or worse than MI, it's just different. The KQ series (largely) treats death with far more consequence than the MI series does, and as the KQ series is known for having such a method of gameplay, I would prefer that this game have it also.

Again, I did vote for choice. I believe giving the gamer a choice would prevent alienating old school purists or casual gamers alike, even though I side with the former.
  • edited April 2011
    Here's some basic truth here, the manual saves weren't put in old adventure game to make them more difficult, it was a limitation of the era, nothing more. I prefer the KQVII style, where you had the deaths and retries. I don't like to save my game all the time, and if it's a good game, I want to keep playing, not constantly dealing with a save screen. That was one of the bad things about the old adventure games was that half your playthrough was spent dealing with the save system.
  • edited April 2011
    It may have been merely a limitation, but it turned into the gameplay experience for a lot of people. The simple fact is that retry deaths make it too easy for a lot of people.

And personally I've never had to look at the save screen so much. I mean come on, even when you do it doesn't last long. You get to a new area you, press F5, type your save name, hit save. Done. The whole process lasts like 5 seconds if that.
    thom-22 wrote: »
    I also think that the circumstances of in-game deaths might influence how they're handled. For instance, if all of the deaths can be reasonably anticipated by players, then that might suggest one way of handling them that might not be best for a game where deaths are more random. (Personally, I've always thought KQ was about the former and not random, but it seems to get accused of having random deaths more often than is warranted.)

Finally, I hope that the possibility of death is given the same tone as it was in the original games, that deaths aren't turned into some kind of inside joke or parody, or a gimmick meant to appease KQ fans.[/QUOTE]

Great points here.
  • edited April 2011
    Greatly reducing, removing entirely or altering in some drastic way (forced autosave, etc)... would in my opinion cause such a drastic change in how a Kings Quest game feels (goes for a lot of other Sierra series as well).

In fact, I think it goes so much against part of the 'essence' of these games that if they actually plan to cut deaths or alter them in some way to remove any sense of danger, then I can't help but wonder why they would pick a series like Kings Quest... why not another Lucasarts license, or any other of the many adventure game titles/franchises designed in this more 'user-friendly' manner already?

Maybe especially so with Kings Quest - in my opinion, the actual storylines were for the most part not all that interesting... not saying I didn't enjoy them, but in the case of Kings Quest, they were never my main reason for playing the games.
    Neither were they particularly funny games... instead of any of that, the Kings Quest games rather seemed to rely on having the player feel like an actual adventurer/explorer... exploring the diverse landscapes that made up the games, feeling like you were on an 'old-fashioned' adventure, in many ways.
    And an essential (!) part of that is exactly the feeling of danger surrounding you, nearly every step of the way.

Had the Kings Quest games been heavily story-driven, with deep and engaging storylines, then picking the series up even if planning to remove deaths... well, then it could maybe make a bit of sense, as that would mean one of the main reasons for playing the games would always have been the storylines, where (not saying it wouldn't change anything, of course) deaths might be less of an issue... you could probably write quite a tense and exciting storyline without necessarily having to rely on deaths (certainly you would not need the abundance of deaths you have in KQ games).

But yeah - that's not Kings Quest... Kings Quest 6 might have started going a bit in that direction, but for the most part, that never seemed to be the idea behind the games.
  • edited April 2011
    So what you're saying is that it's more important that the game kills you and makes you lose any unsaved progress out of nowhere every 2 minutes than that the game has good puzzles and a worthwhile storyline?
  • edited April 2011
    No, I'm saying these games have never had particularly strong storylines, I think this is quite obvious. Not saying they're bad, just not that great.

I think I explained what I meant fairly well, you're somewhat strawmanning I think.

Whether or not unfair deaths bother me in games greatly depends on how they're implemented, in some games I find them quite humorous and entertaining.
    But I don't believe I said they should necessarily include the very most unfair of deaths, ones where you don't even suspect there could be something dangerous.

I happen to find storylines very important in adventure games generally, I can also enjoy games like Kings Quest where the focus happens to be elsewhere, more so than in many other games anyway.

While the storylines aren't bad, the games often seem to let the story slide a bit to make room for other aspects... some of them have various degrees of non-linearity, and in many cases also allow them to put more very different stuff in there, some of which might have been sacrificed if storyline was the number one focus... as an example, the games can go from quite silly/childish fairy tale stuff to quite serious scenarios, in the very same game and in short periods of time as well.
    Seeing as the storylines aren't written to be masterpieces in storytelling, and being as blatant about it as they were with most Kings Quest games, allows for these kinds of things much more easily - without it feeling totally out of place.

I'm sorry if you hate the idea of playing a game where the storyline isn't a masterpiece, but if that was of such importance to them, they should probably have picked something other than Kings Quest.

And puzzles are obviously important, that's a given. Sadly I fear this is another area these episodes might end up disappointing, I have my doubts we will have many particularly challenging puzzles here.

I worry that removing the sense of danger one usually is presented with when playing a Kings Quest game could very well make them dull.
    Now, you can obviously argue what causes a game to have an atmosphere like this, you might very well think there are much better ways than including several ways to die.
    Obviously having numerous ways to die is not the "be all end all"... it's merely one of the many ways a sense of danger is created, and one Kings Quest happens to have been using heavily, in my opinion for the better.
    Anyway, to me this is such an integral part of the experience that I can't imagine it being the same if they change this too much.
    When the decision is made to create games based on an existing franchise, it doesn't make sense to me to change any of the fundamental aspects of said franchise... then, as I already pointed out, why not simply pick some other series which is already closer to what you want to include in your games already.

EDIT - just one more thing I'd like to mention - while these games have lots of ways to die, and while a certain number of them are undeniably unfair (such as
    standing at the wrong side of the rock you push in Kings Quest 1 to reveal a dagger, which ends up crushing you... without hinting that this might happen
    ), I still think it's been exaggerated a fair bit on these forums.
    Generally speaking, I don't have much trouble avoiding most deaths in Kings Quest games, the main exception being puzzles where you're in immediate danger and have to figure out the solution before the monster/whatever it is ends up killing you... which I don't mind at all, puzzles of this nature would lose their 'punch' if you couldn't die.
    And it's not that I'm such an expert at adventure games, a lot of the time it's simply quite obvious what will kill you.
    The majority of times I die, even when I first played them, I did so on purpose just to see the resulting animations and oftentimes accompanying sarcastic message, etc.

It's not so much about actually dying all the time, it's more the feeling generated by having the possibility of dying present.
  • edited April 2011
    just add an option to turn them off

/thread
  • edited April 2011
    Armakuni is right on the money.

Unfortunately, I doubt Telltale has the balls to make a King's Quest game that does the series justice.

As for puzzle difficulty, I suggest four difficulty levels. From hardest to easiest, they would be: Sierra (difficult), Lucasarts (moderately difficult), Sam & Max Season 2 (moderately easy,) Back to the Future (so easy a braindead chimp could "solve" them.)
  • edited April 2011
    Lambonius wrote: »
    As for puzzle difficulty, I suggest four difficulty levels. From hardest to easiest, they would be: Sierra (difficult), Lucasarts (moderately difficult), Sam & Max Season 2 (moderately easy,) Back to the Future (so easy a braindead chimp could "solve" them.)

Hahaha that would be so epic if they were actually named that.
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2011
    I voted other.

King's Quest lends itself a nice magical world in which the mechanic of saving could be embedded more into the actual fiction of the game.

We could use voluntary save points-- maybe Graham takes naps around magical wells (hypothetically.) At the same time, I'd want there to be a manual save system simply for the sake of being able to access any point of the game's progress for whatever reason the player wanted (like making a FAQ/Walkthrough or simple getting screen shots.)

I believe that King's Quest could be designed in such a way that the exploration was not only nonlinear, but backtracking would never be gated. So in one respect, I see a majority of the challenge comes from exploring and puzzling the relationships of inventory and environment. If you are missing something, go back and find it.

Meanwhile, peril can be designed into the environmental puzzles. The blind witch is in the house with you-- while you explore, you evade the witch. I could see that exploring the environment without the tools to solve the puzzle would cause the witch to become more and more aware of your presence. Lingering too long and fiddling with too much stuff would result in death. Difficulty levels would control how much you can get away with while exploring a dangerous situation.

Another hypothetical: there's a puzzle involving a dragon. You may already have a shield. The shield can take three streams of fire-breath before liquefying, causing you a painful death of molten steel and fire! Easier difficulty, the shield takes more consecutive attacks before failing. All the while, you are frantically putting inventory items in their place to solve the puzzle.

For whatever reason, I certainly don't want arbitrary surprise deaths. No looking into a hole and getting murdered for your curiosity. I would want peril broadcasted in some way and give you the option of daring to proceed or realizing you are ill-equipped.

Ultimately, I believe there is a lot of classic mechanics that can be brought into the modern era- given new purpose and execution without castrating the "Sierra" experience. And I think there is a way to do it where we accommodate a spectrum of player types.
  • edited April 2011
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    I voted other.

King's Quest lends itself a nice magical world in which the mechanic of saving could be embedded more into the actual fiction of the game.

We could use voluntary save points-- maybe Graham takes naps around magical wells (hypothetically.) At the same time, I'd want there to be a manual save system simply for the sake of being able to access any point of the game's progress for whatever reason the player wanted (like making a FAQ/Walkthrough or simple getting screen shots.)

I believe that King's Quest could be designed in such a way that the exploration was not only nonlinear, but backtracking would never be gated. So in one respect, I see a majority of the challenge comes from exploring and puzzling the relationships of inventory and environment. If you are missing something, go back and find it.

Meanwhile, peril can be designed into the environmental puzzles. The blind witch is in the house with you-- while you explore, you evade the witch. I could see that exploring the environment without the tools to solve the puzzle would cause the witch to become more and more aware of your presence. Lingering too long and fiddling with too much stuff would result in death. Difficulty levels would control how much you can get away with while exploring a dangerous situation.

Another hypothetical: there's a puzzle involving a dragon. You may already have a shield. The shield can take three streams of fire-breath before liquefying, causing you a painful death of molten steel and fire! Easier difficulty, the shield takes more consecutive attacks before failing. All the while, you are frantically putting inventory items in their place to solve the puzzle.

For whatever reason, I certainly don't want arbitrary surprise deaths. No looking into a hole and getting murdered for your curiosity. I would want peril broadcasted in some way and give you the option of daring to proceed or realizing you are ill-equipped.

Ultimately, I believe there is a lot of classic mechanics that can be brought into the modern era- given new purpose and execution without castrating the "Sierra" experience. And I think there is a way to do it where we accommodate a spectrum of player types.

I agree with and like every one of these ideas. Good on ya.
  • edited April 2011
    Sinaz20 is right.
  • edited April 2011
    I like the idea of a countdown-to-your-death puzzle but not for ALL deaths. I really feel that the one-off deaths for carelessness are important as well.
  • edited April 2011
    I really feel that the one-off deaths for carelessness are important as well.

The Sierra definition of carelessness is "doing anything ever" though.
  • edited April 2011
    The Sierra definition of carelessness is "doing anything ever" though.

Hardly. Standing downhill from a boulder and messing with it is a bad idea in the real world too.
  • edited April 2011
    Hardly. Standing downhill from a boulder and messing with it is a bad idea in the real world too.

Right, as is walking off the edge of a cliff or stepping into a rapidly flowing river when you don't know how deep it is. Sierra punished you for doing STUPID things in the game. The number of truly "surprise!" deaths has been greatly exaggerated by Sierra detractors over and over again. That's not to say that they weren't there, but they weren't nearly as common as people like to claim.

Personally, I would take great joy in being able to walk my character off a cliff in any Telltale game. :)
  • edited April 2011
    So are you telling me you could tell this boulder is situated on any kind of sloped terrain?

th_kq1rockdownhillornot.jpg
  • edited April 2011
    So are you telling me you could tell this boulder is situated on any kind of sloped terrain?

th_kq1rockdownhillornot.jpg

Yep, that's clearly uphill. Everything in Daventry is uphill if you're going North and downhill if you're going South.
  • edited April 2011
    Oh yeah, obviously! Somehow I always missed that :eek::eek::D
  • edited April 2011
    lol Sierra logic.
  • edited April 2011
    Also note that if it were downhill simple physics state that the rock would have gone the other way when rocked loose. It certainly wouldn't roll uphill to kill Graham.

Makes about as much sense as the fact that one can apparently never actually physically leave Daventry by walking, which makes me wonder how they ever had wars with anyone.
  • edited April 2011
    If you've read another post I wrote some days ago, about your favourite Kings Quest moments, I actually listed that very thing with the boulder as my favourite moment from Kings Quest 1 :D

It's the most memorable moment for me, I laughed so hard when the game killed me there the first time I played it... such a ridiculous way to die, one can't help but laugh :eek:

I have a similar favourite moment from the first Leisure Suit Larry game, involving a toilet there.. :D
    But going off topic a bit so I'll stop now :p

Makes about as much sense as the fact that one can apparently never actually physically leave Daventry by walking, which makes me wonder how they ever had wars with anyone.
    Sounds like something North Korea would be interested in :p:rolleyes:

Anyway, never been a fan of that in games... it occurs in several old games, not only Kings Quest... and most of the time it's annoying.
    But at least in Kings Quest it can save you some walking if you use it in a smart manner.
  • edited April 2011
    But at least in Kings Quest it can save you some walking if you use it in a smart manner.

Yeah, if you know what you're doing. Personally I'm really crappy at keeping a proper mental image of where everything is in relation to everything else so unless I have an actual map to look at I always end up taking the long way to go anywhere.
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah, me too... too lazy to draw a map so I just walk around until I find the places I'm looking for.

Much easier in KQ2 though as the world only 'circles' in the up and down directions.

Btw, deaths in these games is fine (and even essential as has been pointed out repeatedly), but one thing I'm glad they got rid of, and that annoyed me for the longest time back before we had internet access, is crazy hard puzzles... well, granted, there is only one but it was so damn annoying... that gnome puzzle. Only time I had to use a walkthrough (when I finally got internet access) and I don't regret doing that - I'm pretty damn sure I would never have solved it on my own.

If there's anything about really old adventure games I dislike, it's stuff like that... there are many text based adventures with ridiculous puzzles as well, which is what prevents me from enjoying many of those.

But this is a bit off-topic, sorry.
  • edited April 2011
    Paw agrees with me. Check out his latest King's Quest retrospective video on KQ7 (the death handling comment is at around 2:00.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.