TELLTALE try to buy the unfinished Sam&Max from Lucasarts again!!!

edited October 2011 in Sam & Max
Hi!

Having just read the history of the Lucasarts S&M sequel (again) and the fact that it was 2/3 or EVEN 3/4 finished, why dont you (telltale) try to negotiate buying the source again?

1) come on, this was almost finished! What a waste, sitting all those years on some lonely server at LEC. Plus, it's possibly cheaper than making a new game?

2) You guys made tons of money since then. (I heard back to the future sells really well)

3) if you support the cause, please reply!!!!!!!

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Have you looked at some of the clips from it on youtube? One character is suspiciously similar to Sybil. I don't know much about it, but my guess is a lot of the ideas carried over. It also probably had very lousy graphics, animation, and programming, by todays standards.

I read about all of what happened too recently, and it was v upsetting/annoying, but I've decided to let it die. What we got instead was pretty awesome, so look at it that way ;)
  • edited May 2011
    Also that Sam & Max in space idea they had was far better, I wish they'd finish that instead.
  • edited May 2011
    nope, from what i have read the seasons of telltale have almost nothing to do with the "hit the road" sequel.

I have looked at some videos. I think it looks good, actually better than season 1 and 2. (the production value was much higher and it shows)
  • edited May 2011
    Since the 25th anniversary of Sam and Max is coming up, I say go for it!
  • edited May 2011
    It'll never happen.
    Sorry to rain on people's parade, but think about this. The game is most likely gone completely when they lost the rights to Sam and Max.
  • edited May 2011
    Even if the source does still exist, and even if LEC was willing to sell/license the content they own, TTG isn't going to want to pay LucasArts for the plot/assets of an old game rather than just making a brand new one for less money and not having to involve LEC.
  • edited May 2011
    Shyguy wrote: »
    It'll never happen.
    Sorry to rain on people's parade, but think about this. The game is most likely gone completely when they lost the rights to Sam and Max.

Is that so? Well, I heard a rumor that someone at Telltale possesses a copy of the source code.
  • edited May 2011
    lattsam wrote: »
    Is that so? Well, I heard a rumor that someone at Telltale possesses a copy of the source code.

Even if that's correct, again, most of the materials planned to be used in that game got carried over and used in other games.
  • edited May 2011

You probably heard that rumor from yourself in one of your delusional rants over the course of the past 8 years.
  • edited May 2011
    You probably heard that rumor from yourself in one of your delusional rants over the course of the past 8 years.

That would be an improvement. I thought all such rants basically only consisted of "Save the VAs, save the World".
  • edited May 2011
    8 years????
  • edited May 2011
    Okay Lattsam i have a real question for you. Why do you want freelance police released so much? Why do you want Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson back so badly? Its an honest question.
  • edited May 2011
    coolguy721 wrote: »
    Okay Lattsam i have a real question for you. Why do you want freelance police released so much? Why do you want Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson back so badly? Its an honest question.

"Because I've lost control of my life."

tumblr_li4yqln38N1qe8u4ho1_400.gif
  • edited May 2011
    did i say falanca? No so please.....
  • edited May 2011
    I do like the old voice actors as much as the new ones.
    Hell, I like every Max actor so far. The one from the old game, the TV show, Telltale.
    They're all brilliant.
  • edited May 2011
    Wow. If I had to guess which of the forums' threads was going to get a bit touchy, I wouldn't have guessed this one. Cool off a bit guys!
  • edited May 2011
    Marking my calendar right on 5th of every month.
  • edited May 2011

My answer, which is completely straight from the heart and soul, is the same to both of these questions:

Because I really feel that both the original actors and their games got a raw deal. It must be heartbreaking for them... having to do all that hard work recording countless lines of dialogue, and then having the rug pulled out from under you at the last minute. I really empathize with them.
  • edited May 2011
    It's not as if either of them have been short of work since then. Hell, Nick Jameson has got into a fair bit of TV & film work as well as video game voice acting.
  • edited May 2011
    My answer, which is completely straight from the heart and soul, is the same to both of these questions:

Because I really feel that both the original actors and their games got a raw deal. It must be heartbreaking for them... having to do all that hard work recording countless lines of dialogue, and then having the rug pulled out from under you at the last minute. I really empathize with them.

They got paid for every minute they spent, so I doubt it really concerns them that much, since they have stable careers outside of a niche adventure game once every 9 years.
  • edited May 2011

1) This happens all the time. Actors, voice actors, everyone involved in the production of entertainment media are used to cancellations. Do you know how many TV pilots get made that don't get picked up? Tons.
    2) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0417068/ Nick Jameson has had multiple projects every year since Hit the Road. Do you really think he was sitting around on the set of 24 feeling depressed that Sam and Max 2 got cancelled? :rolleyes:
  • edited May 2011
    Scnew wrote: »
    1) This happens all the time. Actors, voice actors, everyone involved in the production of entertainment media are used to cancellations. Do you know how many TV pilots get made that don't get picked up? Tons.
    2) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0417068/ Nick Jameson has had multiple projects every year since Hit the Road. Do you really think he was sitting around on the set of 24 feeling depressed that Sam and Max 2 got cancelled? :rolleyes:

I'm just sayin' is all. But with Lost and 24 over, I continue checking his imdb profile, wondering what he's going to be in next...

I know he's in The Force Unleashed 2... maybe I should get that game one day.
  • edited May 2011
    I really don't think voice actors should be the make or break for a video game. I mean yeah they're fun, but it's the writing that makes Sam and Max what it is. VAs move on from projects because it's a job. They don't become incredibly emotionally attached to what they're doing because they voice act to make money, not memories. I know I'm just beating a dead horse but I felt like I needed to give my two cents.

Getting back on topic, I think the space idea was much more interesting. In a way, they already made the other one, it just happened to be by a different company. I imagine Telltale used the unfinished game as a blueprint for theirs but don't quote me on this.
  • edited May 2011
    I know he's in The Force Unleashed 2... maybe I should get that game one day.

I went to but relised the only thing I wanted was the Guybrush costume and thats a lot of money to pay for one perk XD
  • edited May 2011
    nah its a pretty good game. a coolesome game
  • edited May 2011
    nah its a pretty good game. a coolesome game

It wishes it was.
  • edited May 2011
    I also would like to add, that while I thought that Telltale's Sam and Max games were all fine and dandy, I recall "Hit the Road" as superior, i.e. a real classic.

So I would prefer, to be honest, this Lucasarts Sam and Max over any new Telltale series.
  • edited May 2011
    tester8 wrote: »
    I also would like to add, that while I thought that Telltale's Sam and Max games were all fine and dandy, I recall "Hit the Road" as superior, i.e. a real classic.

So I would prefer, to be honest, this Lucasarts Sam and Max over any new Telltale series.

Freelance Police was essentially developed by Telltale. Almost the entire development staff that worked on it at LEC is what Telltale started out with initially, so this argument makes no sense.
  • edited May 2011
    Freelance Police was essentially developed by Telltale. Almost the entire development staff that worked on it at LEC is what Telltale started out with initially, so this argument makes no sense.

lucas arts has much more money the ttg. If you look at the video for freelance police you will see the mouths are fully animated instead of how telltale does it
  • edited May 2011
    lucas arts has much more money the ttg. If you look at the video for freelance police you will see the mouths are fully animated instead of how telltale does it

You'll also see the graphics are hideous and ultra low poly models with awful texture resolutions, even compared to season 1.
  • edited May 2011
    You'll also see the graphics are hideous and ultra low poly models with awful texture resolutions, even compared to season 1.

they are much less stiff as well
  • edited May 2011
    well, judging from the screens and videos, the higher production value (see backgrounds) would possibly also be reflected in the game's story and dialogue. At any rate it looks better than season 1 and 2.

And low polygon models are easily remedied. (didnt see anything wrong with animation)
  • edited May 2011
    not so sure why lucsa arts didn't allow telltale to finish it. Telltale offered to but the game from them but they said no. They could have easily made money off something they had just laying around being put to no use
  • edited May 2011
    not so sure why lucsa arts didn't allow telltale to finish it. Telltale offered to but the game from them but they said no. They could have easily made money off something they had just laying around being put to no use

Well, when it comes to giving people what they don't want & not giving them what they do want, & just generally pissing off fans, I think George Lucas.
  • edited May 2011
    LikaLaruku wrote: »
    Well, when it comes to giving people what they don't want & not giving them what they do want, & just generally pissing off fans, I think George Lucas.

I seriously doubt that George Lucas had anything to do with Freelance Police not coming out.

I seriously doubt that George Lucas is heavily involved in any of the decisions LucasArts makes in general.
  • edited October 2011
    Maybe they could just buy the naming rights and make their own game called Sam & Max: Freelance Police and have it essentially be season 4. That way they can give a sense of closure to the fans and not break the continuity of their own Sam & Max universe.

Though I admit that's not a perfect solution, as there will always be people asking for the true sequel to Hit the Road.
  • edited October 2011
    Return freelance poliece
  • edited October 2011
    This thread hurts me.
  • edited October 2011
    Scnew wrote: »
    This thread hurts me.

It doesn't hurt ME.
This discussion has been closed.