BTTF The Ride: 2

edited April 2012 in Back to the Future
OK, so I know this has been discussed a number of times, but surely us hardcore fans can at least get a thread together that's so popular and has such good feedback, that Universal will take it seriously and consider an updated BTTF ride?

The ride was absolutely legendary, and still held its own against the likes of the amazing Spiderman right up until the day that it came to an end. I was lucky enough to experience the BTTF ride not only as a kid, but also in adulthood. I was devastated when I heard the news that it was being replaced. Not only was this ride epic, it was heritage, a true testament to the creaters, Universal Studios, and their park.

This isn't a Simpsons bashing thread by any means. It's a great ride and deserves a place in the park. I have to commend the design team highly, and I'm really looking forward to going on this again when we visit this October, but surely Universal should/could have extended or kept half of the building as BTTF whilst giving it a bit of an update?

It's good that Universal have kept some key parts of the film around the park, but if anything, it reminds me of some of the best times of my life, and that I can no longer ride it again. I guess i'd rather have these bits around for memories than not at all, but it's just a strange feeling.

I'm betting that BTTFs true popularity was gauged from their recent(ish) re-release of the Trilogy on Blu-Ray. Surely they can see that there is still a humongous fanbase for a BTTF attraction? This is the kind of film that gets more popular with age so would be a worthy investment for Universal also.

I'm now 25 so this film came out the year I was born. 25 years later, and it's one of, if not THE best film(s) i've ever seen. Films these days just don't seem to have the excitement of the 80s/90s. They all depend too much on special effects and bad/cheesey acting rather than hard work and a true passion for excellence like BTTF.

I realise this has been done many times on the likes of Facebook and various other sites, but I'm hoping that giving Universals official involvement with this excellent game series, and the huge fanbase here, that this thread can hopefully grow and be highlighted by the developers and mods to the powers that be.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    I agree with you. I never got to ride it though. I only saw it on the DVD and on youtube. But I would like to go on it. I am a huge Back To The Future fan.
  • edited May 2011
    It's not likely, todays world are blinded by silly things like the simpsons and cant see the great movies like back to the future,

and universal care more about earning money than what the fans want.

I voted bring it on but not because its likely but because i wish it will happen

-Yoman45135 studios
  • edited May 2011
    Of course I would want it back. Is Universal going to pay attention to a single online poll? Probably not. But hey, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. You have my support.
  • edited May 2011
    Lets do this. That ride was my childhood they destroyed by putting that gosh darn Speak... i mean Simpsons ride there.
  • edited May 2011
    I never got a chance to go on the BTTF ride.
  • edited May 2011
    I've ridden the ride as a kid; it was a lot of fun. But rides need to be replaced eventually to get people coming back. I'm not going to go back to Universal over another park I've never been to if all the rides were the same 15 years later.

Nothing against BTTF, but it's not really relevant anymore. The only really old ride left is Jaws, and that's only because it'd be incredibly expensive to design a new ride around all that water. Rides come and rides go, just be glad you got to ride it when you did.

For those that didn't or forget parts of it:

Intro part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLt42_NxoJo&feature=related
    Intro part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4sYE8stSyQ&feature=related
    The Ride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QVlJ7X0IXU

The new Simpsons Ride acknowledges they replaced the BTTF ride and references it with a cameo from Doc:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9r2EYy3rxU&feature=related
  • edited May 2011
    I remember going on the ride when is was a kid i went on the ride 4 times i loved it that much i wished i could ride it one last time before the ride shutdown in Florida but if i ever want to experience the ride i can pop in BTTF3 and go on the ride from the comfort of my home. If universal ever decides to reopen it ill be there
  • edited May 2011
    I went as a kid the year the Jurassic Park ride was new. It was cool, but I can't say I'd be excited for a new ride.
  • edited June 2011
    I went as a kid the year the Jurassic Park ride was new. It was cool, but I can't say I'd be excited for a new ride.

Was this reply posted when you were drunk? Can you imagine what Universal could do with a second version of the ride? Spiderman influences would be involved I would imagine, it would be epic! Sure, Universal are primarily there to make money, which is why it's not only for the fans, but would be a huge benefit to them. I for one, would return to Florida far more often just to ride the old BTTF ride nevermind an updated one!

With the recent success of the game and the fan base simply growing and growing for what many would consider a trilogy that will never be beaten, I don't see why Universal wouldn't design a second ride. Imagine the sheer excitement and amount of people visiting in the first few days of the opening?! I bet they would make their money back within the first month or two.
  • edited June 2011
    No it would be horrible.
  • edited June 2011
    No it would be horrible.

Perhaps your name should be publicjoker..? Anyone who is signed up here but doesn't want a new ride is clearly insane and/or isn't a true BTTF. I just don't understand.
  • edited June 2011
    Perhaps your name should be publicjoker..? Anyone who is signed up here but doesn't want a new ride is clearly insane and/or isn't a true BTTF. I just don't understand.

TellTale forums ISN'T the BTTF forum. :V
  • edited June 2011
    I would so go for a new BTTF ride. It had shut down before I had heard it was even in existence. It kinda sucks cos I've always to go to universal studios.
  • edited June 2011
    Man, I love Back to the Future, but you're really over-estimating its drawing power. It's been twenty one years since the last one came out. Not to mention the fact that it will be awful silly going into a futuristic year 2015 when it's actually 2015. :P

I'm not saying that they're BETTER then BTTF, but do you really think Back to the Future would bring in more people then something current?
  • edited June 2011
    Scnew wrote: »
    Man, I love Back to the Future, but you're really over-estimating its drawing power. It's been twenty one years since the last one came out. Not to mention the fact that it will be awful silly going into a futuristic year 2015 when it's actually 2015. :P

I'm not saying that they're BETTER then BTTF, but do you really think Back to the Future would bring in more people then something current?

I'm afraid he's right. And before anyone brings up the game, consider this: Have there been any advertisements for it on TV during marathons of BttF? No. Some people out there who are BttF fans may not even know the game exists. So no, the game hasn't brought BttF back into the public eye. No more so than running marathons on TNT or whatever.
  • edited June 2011
    Time really doesn't have much to do with it, look at it's replacement for example. BTTF is still very valid these days. Look at me for example, I was born the year it was made and it's my favourite film of all time. It simply broke barriers and I don't know of a person who dislikes it. It, for example would bring far more customers to universal than Jaws, or the ever aging Twister for example. With regards to the 2015 nonsense, it wouldn't be hard to rework the story that doc brown made a mistake and that it was further into the future than he had thought and that could play a part of the story having to go back in time etc. Theres endless possibilities.

You only have to check the view counts and millions of positive comments on YouTube videos from fans all over the world to see that it would still be one of the most popular attractions by far in their park. It only needed a bit of improving in the first place, this truly epic ride didn't need demolishing. I'm very confident that now it's gone, the officials at Universal regret it deep down and wish they could have run it along side Simpsons at least.
  • edited June 2011
    The BTTF ride was amazing. I had pretty low expectations for such an old ride but it blew me away. That was part of the magic (and I would say it is magic the film shares in that the film is quite unassuming in its genius).

It should continue. And it does not need to be updated. It was the best ride when I went there a few years ago and I can't imagine that it was surpassed since.
  • edited June 2011

I saw the ride on my BLuray collection. I've ridden those "screen shows movement and thing you are in bucks around". It's about as exciting as jumping on your bed.

I'd rather they put a budget into a new GREAT BTTF movie.
  • edited June 2011
    You only have to check the view counts and millions of positive comments on YouTube videos from fans all over the world to see that it would still be one of the most popular attractions by far in their park.

According to this logic, Universal should really consider Annoying Orange: The Ride.
  • edited June 2011
    I saw the ride on my BLuray collection.

That says/confirms it all. If you never rode the ride, you simply cannot comment.

Being on that ride was absolutely amazing, and along with all the rides queues film memorabilia, it was absolutely epic. ANY simulator looks rubbish on a video, BTTF was no different. Simpsons is amazing, but the theming of BTTF is what really set them apart. I tend to disagree with the film because all they will end up doing is making 'son of' back to the future like they normally do and ruin it.
  • edited June 2011
    According to this logic, Universal should really consider Annoying Orange: The Ride.

;-) ok so YouTube comments alone shouldn't dictate popularity, but combined with the fact that the film is probably just as popular now as it was back then makes a good argument.

Simpsons will fail in the near future but BTTF will always be one of the worlds best creations, period.
  • edited June 2011
    I saw the ride on my BLuray collection.

Ha! Hilarious.
  • edited June 2011
    Ha! Hilarious.

lmao. I actually took his initial replies semi seriously, in that I thought it was simply his opinion of the ride....then he wrote that and I litterally couldn't stop laughing. I now fully stand by my original comment about his name been publicjoker :D

The epic soundtrack blaring away whilst it feels like your accelerating out to 88mph to 2015, chasing Biff in a Delorean....could it actually get any better? Maybe version 2 could prove us wrong ;)
  • edited June 2011

Yep. From a marketing perspective it doesn't make sense to bring it back. The only chance it would come back is if they remake the movies.
  • edited June 2011
    Man, I love Back to the Future, but you're really over-estimating its drawing power. It's been twenty one years since the last one came out.
    Its been 30 years since Star Wars came out and that has just as much pull power as it just did.

I think you are underesting people's ability to remember.
    The Simpsons hasn't been culturally relevant in years. BTTF still is.
  • edited June 2011
    ShadowX81 wrote: »
    Its been 30 years since Star Wars came out and that has just as much pull power as it just did.

I have to agree with both points. I would think that Simpsons is slowly fading and BTTF is only getting more popular with age. Hell, even kids I know now love it. It's very unique and as said above, Star Wars is still very popular also.
  • edited June 2011
    I was just lucky to get a chance to ride it once when I was in the USA on a vacation trip from Norway. and that was in 2007 I think.
  • edited June 2011

Star Wars also has the prequels, the TV show, the video games, the novels, the comics, the toys... etc.

As much as the BTTF films are right up there with the original Star Wars trilogy in terms of quality, it's hard to argue that there's any real comparison in the modern day strength of the franchises. Star Wars is still bringing in fan-dollars hand over fist. And the Simpsons still has millions of viewers every week. How is it not culturally relevant?

Sorry, but you're really viewing the drawing power of Back to the Future through nostalgia-colored glasses.

Besides, what the hell would the ride be? It's not like you're going to get Tom Wilson involved again.
  • edited June 2011
    ... but how could Doc have gotten the year wrong? He saw newspapers with the date on. So that wouldn't work...

While I'd be behind a new ride, I just don't see where they could go story-wise.

Back to the Future The Game: The Ride :P LOL

EDIT: Sweet! Next post is '88'. Will have to do something good with it.
  • edited June 2011
    Star Wars also has the prequels, the TV show, the video games, the novels, the comics, the toys... etc.
    Trust me when I say that the prequels and EU do not help Star Wars legacy. Star Wars was out for 22 years before the prequels. And it still had staying power. Trust me when I say that the prequels didn't help anything.
    As much as the BTTF films are right up there with the original Star Wars trilogy in terms of quality, it's hard to argue that there's any real comparison in the modern day strength of the franchises. Star Wars is still bringing in fan-dollars hand over fist.
    Dude, did you miss the entirety of last year? BTTF was everywhere. On the news, in magazines, refrences in tons of places.
    And the Simpsons still has millions of viewers every week. How is it not culturally relevant?
    I ask myself the same question every week. No one watches anymore, no one seems to pay attention to it, it is never mentioned in any other media, yet somehow it is still on. It is not in the forefront of pop culture at all the way it used to be. The way BTTF still is. Its like Saturday Night Live. One of those shows that is just on, yet no one seems to watch.
  • edited June 2011

As much as the BTTF films are right up there with the original Star Wars trilogy in terms of quality, it's hard to argue that there's any real comparison in the modern day strength of the franchises. Star Wars is still bringing in fan-dollars hand over fist. And the Simpsons still has millions of viewers every week. How is it not culturally relevant?

Sorry, but you're really viewing the drawing power of Back to the Future through nostalgia-colored glasses.

Besides, what the hell would the ride be? It's not like you're going to get Tom Wilson involved again.

I agree with this. Star Wars is more iconic today than BTTF. The prequels alone introduced the newer generation to Star Wars. Heck, the video games alone have been very popular.
  • edited June 2011
    If anything, the prequels alienated the younger generation from star wars. BTTF has managed to hold up without andy of the merchandise and crappy tie-in stories. That says something.

The Simpsons doesnt' have 1/10 the staying power. Atleast not anymore.
  • edited June 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aTixtlGd7g

Listen from 20 seconds on. Keep the faith and we'll get the back to the future ride back.... perhaps a little hint that Universal at least are discussing it internally if the fanbase is still high.
  • edited June 2011
    If anything, the prequels alienated the younger generation from star wars. BTTF has managed to hold up without andy of the merchandise and crappy tie-in stories. That says something.

The Simpsons doesnt' have 1/10 the staying power. Atleast not anymore.

I agree. I think if you look at the crowds in Universal, it's actually more of an adult park so the whole 'it isn't relevant to kids' thing makes no sense.
  • edited June 2011
    Toneiiblue wrote: »
    ... but how could Doc have gotten the year wrong? He saw newspapers with the date on. So that wouldn't work...

While I'd be behind a new ride, I just don't see where they could go story-wise.

Back to the Future The Game: The Ride :P LOL

EDIT: Sweet! Next post is '88'. Will have to do something good with it.

There could be a problem with the time circuits and it was actually further into the future. Anything could be done, it's hardly realistic to begin with now is it ;)

That epic soundtrack when you entered Universal is what I remember the park for when I first visited years ago.
  • edited June 2011
    One other example here guys, look at King Kong. That's hardly making big news since the last film now is it? BTTF is by a loooong way more popular than this. If they can turn around King Kong i'm sure they could do it with the best trilogy they have ever created. It's the very foundations of Universal and will never get old.
  • edited June 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uf95X3SCyk

Just listen to that little kids reaction to seeing Doc and the Delorean. How was this ride ever 'not relevant'.
  • edited June 2011
    One other example here guys, look at King Kong. That's hardly making big news since the last film now is it? BTTF is by a loooong way more popular than this. If they can turn around King Kong i'm sure they could do it with the best trilogy they have ever created. It's the very foundations of Universal and will never get old.
    While I agree with you 100%, just for the sake of playing Devil's advocate they got rid of King Kong years ago. It was replaced with the Mummy ride.

Though BTTF is still relevant, even to the kids. The film has barely dated at all, and translates very well to today. My 2 year old nephew loves the films. He always tells me he "Wants to see the train go off the cliff".
  • edited June 2011
    I had fun two years ago in Japan. I went to Osaka to the Universal Studios theme park there and they had the BTTF ride there, dubbed in Japanese but still awesome as ever. I'm really happy that I got to experience it.
  • edited June 2011
    While I agree with you 100%, just for the sake of playing Devil's advocate they got rid of King Kong years ago. It was replaced with the Mummy ride.

Though BTTF is still relevant, even to the kids. The film has barely dated at all, and translates very well to today. My 2 year old nephew loves the films. He always tells me he "Wants to see the train go off the cliff".

Whilst I agree also with your statement, King Kong was actually brought back with an improved more up to date ride. If King Kong can return, there's no reason at all why BTTF couldn't, it's far more popular and would be a huge hit. I do agree with the fact that the old ride was a bit jerky at times, but that was part of the fun in my eyes. However... a smoother motion for a second ride would probably be the way forward to keep the average visitor happy.

The bond between doc and marty is just so cool, it was just a film where everything was 'just right'. Imagine Spiderman ride with the BTTF theming, it would be amazing!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.