AVGN reviews Telltale's Back to the Future.

Just my luck that there's another thread with a similar title but different content. Oh well.

http://cinemassacre.com/2011/06/23/back-to-the-future-game-review/

And yeah, I know saying AVGN in the thread title isn't accurate since James isn't in-character, but I had to do what gets people's attention.

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Glad to see this one actually points to the actual review. Thanks!
  • edited June 2011
    He almost went into AVGN mode at the beginning. I mean, you say "Back to the Future the game" and a lot of people from the 80's will instantly think of the NES "game". Game being a euphemism for [REDACTED DUE TO UNNECESSARY AMOUNTS OF SWEARING]

Glad that James liked it! I wish I could see his reaction to the very end!
  • edited June 2011
    awesome
  • edited June 2011
    ....this was painful to watch. The PC gamer guy meant to provide some sort of context was obnoxiously lacking in knowledge and actually actively wrong in many places, and James is entirely clueless about not only the genre, but PC gaming as a whole, and it shines through here. It's like watching your grandmother talk about the internet.
  • edited June 2011
    Oh I agree. This wasnt professional at all. Just like two guys talking on the spot. Was nice to see the game given some time though.
  • edited June 2011
    Yeah. James isn't the greatest actor either. But it did do one thing, it made it more appealing to people who don't like adventure games by having it reviewed by someone from that sort of crowd....take from that what you will.

The lack of knowledge was cringe-worthy, though, on that other fellow's part.
  • edited June 2011
    ....this was painful to watch. The PC gamer guy meant to provide some sort of context was obnoxiously lacking in knowledge and actually actively wrong in many places, and James is entirely clueless about not only the genre, but PC gaming as a whole, and it shines through here. It's like watching your grandmother talk about the internet.

I admit the PC gamer guy was a little...off, but James admitted from the start he never played many PC games. Don't act surprised if he seemed ignorant when it came to them.
  • edited June 2011
    great. now james rolfe thinks that all adventure games are as easy as bttf is. just great. i dont like this pc/notebook-guy
  • edited June 2011

Agreed, utterly painful.
  • OMAOMA
    edited June 2011
    Well, I watched this video some days ago, and I've just rewatched it again after reading your comments, and I can't see what's so wrong about it. It's just a review from the point of view of someone who doesn't play adventure games.

And the "PC guy" just said one thing wrong: Sam & Max isn't TTG's first game (Texas Hold 'em & Bone are). But apart from that, I didn't catch any other wrong stuff.
  • edited June 2011
    What about the part where he says that all adventure games are roughly the same difficulty as BttF?
  • edited June 2011
    Wowowow
    I believe they made the puzzles easy to figure out in order to make progress shorter. Since there are 5 episodes, they don't want someone to get stuck, as then they just won't buy any others. They also don't want a user to take too long on one episode, or else they might not be interested in the next episode. It is simple, the game is not meant for hard core adventure gamers, but for basic gamers or bttf fans. Not all fans are into the genre that well, so easing them in is great.

It is also nice they have the hints, I used them a ton. I don't consider myself a bad gamer, I just consider it making the game progress faster.

A post I made earlier I think fits well enough here. This game is way too story based to let challenging puzzles get in the way. I felt if they made them harder, it would make the game go on too long to the point I would have lost interest in the great story.

Oh, and James Rolfe was acting pretty much the whole time. I think he knows other types of games like this are harder.
  • edited June 2011
    What about the part where he says that all adventure games are roughly the same difficulty as BttF?

I think he just misunderstood James's question. It sounded like he was talking about the interface and way you interact with the game world more than the actual puzzle difficulty.
  • edited June 2011
    63cohen wrote: »
    I felt if they made them harder, it would make the game go on too long to the point I would have lost interest in the great story.

That's not an excuse for a game that is pointlessly easy. They can make an easy mode, or just allow the hint system to help out players that can't figure out more difficult puzzles, but just removing any and all challenge from the game? It's like shipping an FPS with no real difficulty settings other than "Can I play, Daddy?"

3BFmq.png
  • edited June 2011
    That's not an excuse for a game that is pointlessly easy. They can make an easy mode, or just allow the hint system to help out players that can't figure out more difficult puzzles, but just removing any and all challenge from the game? It's like shipping an FPS with no real difficulty settings other than "Can I play, Daddy?"

3BFmq.png

You simply expected too much.
  • edited June 2011
    Yes you did, I seem to remember Telltale saying we're making a back to the future game. I don't remember them ever saying it will be hard!
  • edited June 2011
    I honestly expected him to slate the game, but no, he enjoyed it. I'm glad there's another one of us who likes this game.
  • edited June 2011
    The thing is, this just proves how much of a niche adventure games have become, partially because of the high dificulty of most. The fact that he enjoys this game because he doesn't have to think too much probably says enough. Not everybody is as patient as most of you.

Or, how I'd like to put it, not everybody is as boss as you.
  • edited June 2011
    I seriously do not think that I was SO SMART at five years old that I could outwit James Rolfe now. I mean, I think the guy is a moron when it comes to games(he has a surprisingly good taste in film), but I'm not so foolish as to confuse his childish persona for an actual CHILD'S BRAIN.

If not everyone is made for adventure games, then perhaps not everyone should be PLAYING adventure games. If you have the reflexes of a slug, maybe you shouldn't play first person shooters. If you have the spatial awareness of a mute bat, maybe you shouldn't play platformers. If you're tone deaf, maybe you should put down the Rock Band microphone. If you have a complete and total aversion to anything resembling THOUGHT in any of your leisure activities, then adventure games ARE NOT FOR YOU.
  • edited June 2011
    You simply expected too much.

Expecting Telltale to make a game that was even moderately challenging was expecting too much?

Why weren't goals, hints, and a flatout walkthrough mode not enough to get new players interested in adventure games? Why did they also have to remove any and all possibly challenging content from the game as well?
  • edited June 2011
    what I expected from this review: RAGE
    what I've got: bullshit
  • edited June 2011
    Vyse220 wrote: »
    what I expected from this review: RAGE
    what I've got: bullshit

You do know he's reviewed a game as himself before, right?
  • edited June 2011
    Ashki wrote: »
    You do know he's reviewed a game as himself before, right?

Which was a modern game based on another 80's franchise that had nothing but shitty games too. Yay Ghostbusters and Back to the Future!
  • edited June 2011
    Which was a modern game based on another 80's franchise that had nothing but shitty games too. Yay Ghostbusters and Back to the Future!

Yep, that's the one, and that game was just as awesome as this one, IMO anyways, there were people who didn't like the Ghostbusters game either, but you know what, I'll TOLERATE and LOVE the s**t out of them the way I do the critics of this game.
  • edited June 2011
    Expecting Telltale to make a game that was even moderately challenging was expecting too much?

Why weren't goals, hints, and a flatout walkthrough mode not enough to get new players interested in adventure games? Why did they also have to remove any and all possibly challenging content from the game as well?

Telltale simply took a different direction with bttf, because they had obligations. Bob Gale was a consultant, which is why there was a huge emphasis on the story.
  • edited June 2011
    Telltale simply took a different direction with bttf, because they had obligations. Bob Gale was a consultant, which is why there was a huge emphasis on the story.
    ...you DO know what genre you're talking about, right? There's a huge emphasis on narrative in adventure games dating as far back as the late 70s. There's a huge emphasis on story in Tales of Monkey Island, Wallace and Gromit, and other Telltale games. Story isn't some unimportant side thing in good adventure games.
  • edited June 2011
    I seriously do not think that I was SO SMART at five years old that I could outwit James Rolfe now. I mean, I think the guy is a moron when it comes to games(he has a surprisingly good taste in film), but I'm not so foolish as to confuse his childish persona for an actual CHILD'S BRAIN.

If not everyone is made for adventure games, then perhaps not everyone should be PLAYING adventure games. If you have the reflexes of a slug, maybe you shouldn't play first person shooters. If you have the spatial awareness of a mute bat, maybe you shouldn't play platformers. If you're tone deaf, maybe you should put down the Rock Band microphone. If you have a complete and total aversion to anything resembling THOUGHT in any of your leisure activities, then adventure games ARE NOT FOR YOU.

Except because point and click adventure games are a niche genre, people aren't generally going to step into such a game. The problem isn't that these games aren't something that is not for them, it's just that the fact that its learning curve is high enough to keep people away from them.

And you might think Back to the Future is too easy, but there are still people on this world, yes, I'm not bullshitting you, who still require help with some of the puzzles. The games might be piss-easy for you, heck, it's even piss-easy for me and I generally don't play the Sam & Max games because I actually only buy them for bragging rights, but also because they're at a point now where you have to think hard and long
    (that's what she said)
    about puzzles, and quite frankly, I don't have the time for that. The point is, just because you think it's easy, just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it's easy for everybody.

If the next season will be made, I am sure Telltale makes sure the game won't be as easy, but don't expect that game to suddenly be up to your level of complexity. There is a reason these games died out, and there's a reason only indie developers can afford developing such games.

Seriously, if I had to name one disappointment about this series, it's people like you and SHODANFreeman. I expected people like you to actually understand the whats, because, apparently you guys are smart and all.
  • edited June 2011
    I think at some point Bob Gale had them tone down the difficulty of the puzzles, so anyone can pick the game up and play.
  • edited June 2011
    I think at some point Bob Gale had them tone down the difficulty of the puzzles, so anyone can pick the game up and play.

And I imagine Universal had their own opinions that had to be taken into consideration.

That's the great thing about the Sam & Max series, Steve Purcell will let Telltale do just about what they want with them. Their partnership with Universal will undoubtedly be more restrictive.
  • edited June 2011

Still no excuse for not putting a "hard mode" into the game.

AthUM.gif
    sSBTz.png
  • edited June 2011
    Still no excuse for not putting a "hard mode" into the game.

AthUM.gif
    sSBTz.png

There is this thing called production costs.
  • edited June 2011
    There is this thing called production costs.

There's also this thing called "I used to buy $500-1000 worth of Telltale games and merchandise every year and have bought $0 this year entirely due to how awful BttF is as an adventure game". Maybe they should weigh that into their budget, or maybe they did, and decided that their core fans (you know, the ones who made it possible for them to exist as a successful company) didn't matter in the slightest.

If that is the case, then why are you so eager to champion a company that couldn't care less about its customers and is only interested in the bottom line?

Plus, how much more expensive can it be to write a game that is up to their previous standards and then simply remove a few puzzles from the game if you select "easy mode"?
  • edited June 2011
    They don't expect there to be hardcore fans who spend 500 plus a year on video games. They simply expect someone to buy a game, they made a version that they feel will make the most money. I think it worked.
  • edited June 2011
    They don't expect there to be hardcore fans who spend 500 plus a year on video games. They simply expect someone to buy a game, they made a version that they feel will make the most money. I think it worked.

They'd have made $25 less from this guy if they'd bothered mentioning they had no intentions of including any challenge in the game.

Supporting a company who is in it to make the most money, regardless of any other factors, is a stupid idea, at best, though. Obviously, they have to turn a profit to continue making games, but considering they managed to do so with "hardcore" adventure gamer fare, the only reason to dumb their games down so severely is greed.

I wonder if the phrase "marketplace realities" means anything to the remaining founding members of Telltale anymore, because I had always thought the company was founded because they loved making adventure games. Apparently, they just love raking in cash. Perhaps they should just start making licensed Star Wars games. I hear those make quite a bit of money.
  • edited June 2011
    Every company is out there to make money, there is no escaping that. Well, excluding non-profit organizations, of which TellTale isn't part of. What type of computer are you using? 100% says the company who made it is out to make money.
  • edited June 2011
    They'd have made $25 less from this guy if they'd bothered mentioning they had no intentions of including any challenge in the game.

Just to be absolutely perfectly clear on this point - are you saying that as a fan of BTTF, you wouldn't bother with this series because it wasn't challenging enough? So your love of BTTF isn't enough to outweigh your need to be intellectually challenged?

I'm just curious. You're more about the game than the franchise, yes or no?
  • edited June 2011
    Every company is out there to make money, there is no escaping that. Well, excluding non-profit organizations, of which TellTale isn't part of. What type of computer are you using? 100% says the company who made it is out to make money.

I already stated that every company is in business to make money, but that doesn't mean they have to release sub-par products and screw over long-time fans, while simultaneously turning their back on the genre they almost single-handedly revived themselves.

They can still make money while making real adventure games, they've proven that for the better part of the last decade. There is no excuse to dumb their games down to this level other than to rake in cash.

I still don't understand why you're defending them for this. This kind of business practice will eventually screw you over too. They're essentially showing no concern for their fan-base or what people want/expect out of the game, and you're lapping it up and begging for more.

I can respect that you enjoy BttF for its story, but you should at least be able to agree that it's complete bullshit that they didn't provide a challenging game for their long-time customers, who were led to believe it would be up to the same standards as the rest of their prior titles.
    Overture wrote: »
    Just to be absolutely perfectly clear on this point - are you saying that as a fan of BTTF, you wouldn't bother with this series because it wasn't challenging enough? So your love of BTTF isn't enough to outweigh your need to be intellectually challenged?

I don't like to support bad game development, if I can help it, so I definitely would not have paid for the game had I known how bad it would turn out. I would have more likely just waited and watched a playthrough on Youtube instead of spending $25 to be given busywork in between cutscenes.
  • edited June 2011
    I don't like to support bad game development, if I can help it, so I definitely would not have paid for the game had I known how bad it would turn out. I would have more likely just waited and watched a playthrough on Youtube instead of spending $25 to be given busywork in between cutscenes.

Fair enough. I'll pay that answer :)
  • edited June 2011
    Overture wrote: »

Though I'm not him, I personally feel that to produce a game like this for Back to the Future is to completely disrespect the franchise. The franchise is worth a GOOD game, and to rush out a lacking, crappy, barely interactive mess is FAR less than the franchise is worth.
  • edited June 2011
    Though I'm not him, I personally feel that to produce a game like this for Back to the Future is to completely disrespect the franchise. The franchise is worth a GOOD game, and to rush out a lacking, crappy, barely interactive mess is FAR less than the franchise is worth.

That's a fair viewpoint to take, but it wasn't my question.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.