About the end...

You're complaining about the 3 Martys, but if the space time continuum is tearing apart like Doc said, it's "logical" that all the timelines are crushing together no? So all the timelines are joined together in one, which is why the continuum is tearing apart. This is not totally illogical for me, but it's really a disaster. What's your point of view?

Comments

• edited June 2011
    BTTF doesn't follow the laws of science!? OMG! OMG! Some one hit me in the head with a frying pan, I'm in shock!
  • edited June 2011
    Err did I say something wrong? I don't know how to explain what I think.:(
  • You're complaining about the 3 Martys, but if the space time continuum is tearing apart like Doc said, it's "logical" that all the timelines are crushing together no? So all the timelines are joined together in one, which is why the continuum is tearing apart. This is not totally illogical for me, but it's really a disaster. What's your point of view?

I guess you could argue that since it's the future the rules are loose but the reality is there should only be one future hence why in part II doc returned to 2015 and saw the EXACT same events happening from his first trip. For instance FCB has faded out because his timeline is no more, he shouldn't be able to come back and cause trouble unless his timeline gets restored. My only theory is perhaps each marty comes from a different time; ie. one from 2034, one from 2035, one from 2036 and they all have their different philopophies. Or i guess with rejuvination clinics, they stop aging. Or you could argue that like doc, marty becomes a perpetual time travelller and thus enounters alternate versions of himself so it becomes a regular thing to run into future versions of himself.
  • edited June 2011
    Actually I'm not sure if they're from different timeline or years, but at the end, the Punk rock Marty is arguing with the second because the timeline with Jennifer and her 12 children was already erased. That's confusing in fact.
  • Actually I'm not sure if they're from different timeline or years, but at the end, the Punk rock Marty is arguing with the second because the timeline with Jennifer and her 12 children was already erased. That's confusing in fact.

i guess it happened while he was time traveling hence why he remembers it.
  • edited June 2011
    So Doc's solution to the universe tearing itself apart becuase of thier meddling is to ignore the problem while they time travel some more?
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited June 2011
    I think Doc's "catch up to the present" line answers everything. There are three Martys because there are three different time travelers from three different timelines traveling at the same time. The time ripple effect is now confirmed due to the timestream changes in 1931 catching up to Edna's DeLorean causing it to disappear.

So, once time caught up with the Martys, two of the Martys would disappear (or three if all of them are out of the timestream). This is the reason Doc just leaves with 1986 Marty. Since all of the Martys are worried about the timestream, none of them would change the past to endanger 1986 Marty. So Doc and Marty aren't needed there. Time will fix itself.
  • edited June 2011
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
  • edited June 2011
    It wouldnt have needed to be fixed if Doc wasn't screwing around with the universe in the first place. And after Doc and Marty just finished repairing the collossul screwups they caused, the smart thing would be to destroy the time machine. You know, the thing Doc was adovcating throughout the whole series for this very reason?
  • edited June 2011
    But what im wondering is how did all the alterfuture Martys get there and A BLUE deloran?
  • edited June 2011
    Stretchcb1 wrote: »
    But what im wondering is how did all the alterfuture Marty get there and A BLUE deloran?
    how do biker marty get a black Delok.i.t.t
  • edited June 2011
    Stretchcb1 wrote: »
    But what im wondering is how did all the alterfuture Martys get there and A BLUE deloran?
    Oh a Blue DeLorean, what a brainbuster. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with a paint job that Marty got at a later date, no it must have something to do with quantum physics and time travel
  • edited June 2011
    Oh a Blue DeLorean, what a brainbuster. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with a paint job that Marty got at a later date, no it must have something to do with quantum physics and time travel

Well, Doc DOES mention that the future isn't written...that is to say, at any point in time, while the past is set in stone (unless you change it)...everyone has free will, and the future is therefore indeterminate...travelling into the future brings you into the logical extrapolation of events as they stood in the past at the time of your departure...

And the multiple future Marty's idea isn't totally implausible considering the bizarre logic of BTTF...

Consider, Marty's original plan to erase the FCB timeline...he and FCB Doc were planning to go back to August 25th 1931...had they succeeded in arriving on that date, there would have been 2 Doc's and 2 Marty's present in 1931 Hill Valley...the 2 Marty's would have been the same individual at different points in his personal timeline...but the 2 Doc's would be different versions from different timelines altogether...Lone Pine/Eastwood Doc from the movies, and FCB Doc...it would have been possible for both to co-exist in 1931...

Now imagine if young Emmett saw both these Docs...from his POV, they would both be possible future versions of him (because, from the POV of anyone in 1931, the future isn't written yet)...he can choose to become either of them in the future, or he can choose a different path entirely...

So multiple future versions can very much co-exist when they travel to the past...
  • edited June 2011
    ^ Awesome explanation
  • edited June 2011
    well that helped....not the sarcastic guy below my first post
  • edited June 2011

Now imagine if young Emmett saw both these Docs...from his POV, they would both be possible future versions of him (because, from the POV of anyone in 1931, the future isn't written yet)...he can choose to become either of them in the future, or he can choose a different path entirely...

Ok, this is convincing but here's a question; at the end of BTTF1, What happens when LP Marty disappears in 1985 to go to 1955?

In BTTF2 it is confirmed that there's only one younger Marty back in 1955. So younger TP and LP doesn't co-exist, but what happens? I can think of 3 cases.

1-TP and LP somehow merges to form a slightly different Marty in 1955.
    2-TP Marty gets erased so now its LP Marty's job to get his parents back together, with slightly different actions.
    3-LP Marty is erased, he disappears in 1985 but never appears in 1955.

The 3rd one is the easiest one for continuum to handle. Because new personality means events in 1955 would be different. So it would be much easier to just get rid of the new one and keep past as it is. Also if it was TP who gets erased in 1955 when LP arrives, it would have to be the case when LP gets back to 1985, TP Marty would be erased again and LP would take his place. Since such things don't happen, we can conclude that it is always the original one who remains. Other selves just follow his steps but disappear in the end.

Also if it is not possible for them to follow the original traveller's steps, they simply disappear at the moment when they should be travelling as original did. This would explain why there isn't a new Marty in 1986 with Doc when he gets the Key. Since he had no reason, he probably got erased at the moment Marty went back to 1931 in EP1. This way past events are preserved and EP1 Marty survives. New Delorean created by this new Doc doesn't disappear according to this rule because what EP1 Marty travelled with was a duplicate, so Doc was able to come back with his Delorean.

So now back to 3 Martys, let's suppose Marty-A is our original here. B and C can't decide to come earlier in their life spans compared to A, because they have to follow A's steps. They also can't decide to come after in their life spans compared to A, because when they reach the exact moment A decided to travel, they would have been erased like new Marty in 1986 did. Finally, they can't come when they reach the exact moment A decided to travel because then, they would succesfully disappear to 1986 in their own timelines but they would never appear in 1986. Instead they would get erased like LP Marty. So it would be A who gets survived.

Hope I managed to explain clearly. What do you guys think about this?
  • edited June 2011
    Ending was done for the lulz. Nothing more.
  • edited June 2011
    Consider, Marty's original plan to erase the FCB timeline...he and FCB Doc were planning to go back to August 25th 1931...had they succeeded in arriving on that date, there would have been 2 Doc's and 2 Marty's present in 1931 Hill Valley...the 2 Marty's would have been the same individual at different points in his personal timeline...but the 2 Doc's would be different versions from different timelines altogether...Lone Pine/Eastwood Doc from the movies, and FCB Doc...it would have been possible for both to co-exist in 1931...
    Also about this regarding my previous post. In such case perhaps one of the Docs would get erased. It could be possible that the moment FCB arrives, LP Doc known as Carl Sagan would fade out since he no more exists. Or perhaps FCB would be erased since LP Doc is the original one compared to him and continuum tries to keep past as unaltered as it can. Either way, there would be 2 of the same Marty from different life spans and only one Doc, not 2 with different personalities.

It is possible that they would co-exist. But then it is all thanks to Marty. Normally FCB would never be able to get to the past without a Delorean. So perhaps different personalities can co-exist but there should be another guy who helped them getting there. In this case, who created 3 different Martys? Because normally, B and C should have followed A's steps with slightly different actions but would just get erased in the end.
    Ending was done for the lulz. Nothing more.
    If this is the case TTG would gain so much hatred. Some fans already kinda hate TTG because they find this game unsatisfying. If they made an ending just for fun, when fans like to explain things in BTTF universe, it would not be fun really.
  • edited June 2011
    WareKurt wrote: »
    Also about this regarding my previous post. In such case perhaps one of the Docs would get erased. It could be possible that the moment FCB arrives, LP Doc known as Carl Sagan would fade out since he no more exists. Or perhaps FCB would be erased since LP Doc is the original one compared to him and continuum tries to keep past as unaltered as it can. Either way, there would be 2 of the same Marty from different life spans and only one Doc, not 2 with different personalities.

It is possible that they would co-exist. But then it is all thanks to Marty. Normally FCB would never be able to get to the past without a Delorean. So perhaps different personalities can co-exist but there should be another guy who helped them getting there. In this case, who created 3 different Martys? Because normally, B and C should have followed A's steps with slightly different actions but would just get erased in the end.

I don't see why 'Carl Sagan' LP Doc should be erased, just because his alternate self arrives. I think your confusing the TP Marty-LP Marty issue with this.

The case of TP Marty and LP Marty is kinda different. In that case, TP Marty's actions result in the creation of LP Marty, who makes the SAME trip back to 1955 at the PRECISE same moment as TP Marty did. LP Marty's temporal displacement is just the LP version of the original temporal displacement by TP Marty.

Whereas, in the case of LP Doc and FCB Doc, things are different. LP Doc and FCB would have made different time trips leading to their being present simultaneously in 1931. Therefore, they can co-exist. Of course, LP Doc is 'scheduled' to return to 1986 with Marty and be erased in the process.
  • edited June 2011
    I don't see why 'Carl Sagan' LP Doc should be erased, just because his alternate self arrives. I think your confusing the TP Marty-LP Marty issue with this.
    I am not saying it should be, but it is possible. Because past stays the same but when they travel to a time where CS is around, it becomes present then so maybe time ripple effect kicks in and erases the now non-existing LP Doc, even though he is scheduled to be erased later.
  • edited June 2011
    But that would create a massive paradox.
  • edited June 2011
    But that would create a massive paradox.
    Why? As long as you leave past as it is when you created a totally different self, there shouldn't be any problem. He would just get erased if you travel to that interval.

Anyway, that post was just an addition. What do you guys think of my #17 post here;
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=521916&postcount=17

Things I mentioned in that illogical?
  • edited July 2011
    Why? As long as you leave past as it is when you created a totally different self, there shouldn't be any problem. He would just get erased if you travel to that interval.

Anyway, that post was just an addition. What do you guys think of my #17 post here;
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=521916&postcount=17

Things I mentioned in that illogical?

Okay, say for instance, in BTTF2, for some reason, Doc doesn't decide to take 'our' Marty (whether he's the TP or LP version at this point is your guess), but instead for some reason decides to take the Marty of 1985-A, back to 1955 to fix things. Marty-A hates his life and wants to be the one to snuff out Evil Biff's existence (and his own sad life)...so he and Doc go back to November 12th...and...

Are you suggesting that TP Marty would just vanish the instant Marty-A arrives in 1955?

I really don't see why that would happen...

The 2 Doc's would actually come from different points in the space-time continuum (not only time wise, but as in, from different timelines)...no reason why they can't both co-exist briefly...until LP Doc has to leave of course.
  • edited July 2011
    Plus if LP doc did disappear completely from the scene then he would never be to get arrested, so Marty would never come back to 1931 and so he wouldn't create the FCB timeline thus creating a paradox.
  • edited July 2011
    Are you suggesting that TP Marty would just vanish the instant Marty-A arrives in 1955?
    Such thing never happened, so can we know for sure? I still think it might be. Don't forget there's another idea that time travelers don't get affected. In such case it would be Marty-A who is the time traveler. So it is possible in a way.
    Plus if LP doc did disappear completely from the scene then he would never be to get arrested, so Marty would never come back to 1931 and so he wouldn't create the FCB timeline thus creating a paradox.
    Paradoxes don't always work like what we think. Since FCB is created who never built a time machine, both Marty's reason and ticket for coming back exist no more, yet there's no paradox.
  • edited July 2011
    I get confused, but I like reading this!
  • edited July 2011
    Such thing never happened, so can we know for sure? I still think it might be. Don't forget there's another idea that time travelers don't get affected. In such case it would be Marty-A who is the time traveler. So it is possible in a way.

Yeah, but I still don't get why that would happen. Marty-A and TP Marty (or more to the point, in this case) LP Doc and FCB Doc are seperate entities, who have arrived from different timelines at different points in time. LP Doc is now an alternate version of Doc from a now erased future...FCB Doc IS the Doc of what is the 'current' future...if you want to nitpick, you can argue that their chronological ages differ as well, so they're not technically from the same time period (FCB Doc would be around 70; while LP Doc would be closer to 80, though he looks much younger because of the rejunevation treatment).

Remember, LP Doc is very much a part of the past of the FCB timeline (much like LP Old Biff is a part of the 1985-A timeline). That's why he appears in that picture which FCB Doc still has with him in 1986. A lot of people feel its a major goof-why hasn't LP Doc disappeared from the photo, since he no longer exists? But the truth is, that when people prevent their existence, they are erased from any pictures they have brought from the future timeline they originate from, because it has been replaced by a new timeline. However, since their existence in the past, as time traveller's from a future erased timeline, is preserved, any pictures taken in the PAST of them, would continue to retain them...as the picture was taken during the time they existed in the past as 'echoes' of an erased timeline. Case in point, suppose TP Marty had faded from existence in BTTF1? He would have faded from the photo of his family undoubtedly...however, if, say, Doc, had taken a picture of him in 1955, he wouldn't have faded from that picture...because his existence in 1985 has been erased...his brief history in 1955 hasn't been because its a part of the new timeline he's created.
  • edited July 2011
    Paradoxes don't always work like what we think. Since FCB is created who never built a time machine, both Marty's reason and ticket for coming back exist no more, yet there's no paradox.

You realize that's probably just the writers getting it wrong. The writers don't really take into account the paradoxes that are caused when their writing the plot lines because then nothing would be able to happen. The story line wouldn't be as interesting if they took into account all the paradoxes that are caused simply because a paradox is caused whenever you go back in time to prevent something from happening (and succeed)

Although if you take into account the echo theory a lot paradoxes are resolved such as the example you gave above.
  • edited July 2011
    I still say that the reason that the DeLorean didn't completely vanish was because it was a temporal duplicate and no longer subject to the same rules as the original.
  • edited July 2011
    I still say that the reason that the DeLorean didn't completely vanish was because it was a temporal duplicate and no longer subject to the same rules as the original.

But the Deloreon that did vanish was a temporal duplicate too and that one vanished.
  • edited July 2011
    But the Deloreon that did vanish was a temporal duplicate too and that one vanished.

Truth be told, the trilogy was never really consistent about alternate timelines, and how long should it take for someone/something to get erased, and which VERSION should get erased...which I suppose is excusable because it was never planned as a trilogy in the first place...

In the first film, things were comparitively simpler and sort off consistent...Marty prevents his parent's first meeting and so creates what should logically progress into an alternate timeline where he and his siblings are never born...however because he is in the past, and from his POV, the 'critical' event that will determine his future existence (i.e. George and Lorraine's kiss on the dance floor) is in the future (which is not 'written') there is still a possibility that he will exist, so he doesn't fade out instantly...but each moment he draws closer to the 'critical event' the probability of his and his siblings existence decreases (represented by the fading photograph), and if on November 12th, he is unable to get George and Lorraine to kiss, his existence becomes impossible (its probability is 0) and he is erased. It made sense, within the convoluted movie logic at least.

But with BTTF2, the two Bobs went with a far more complex time travel plot, and decided to go beyond the mere possibility of an alternate timeline which was just threatened in the first film, to actually HAVING an alternate timeline where Marty and Doc's history as they know it has been screwed over badly...now, by the logic of BTTF1, Marty and Doc should have faded from existence right there in 2015 along with Old Biff...their existence in their present form was impossible, because it was impossible in this timeline for both of them to even be present in 2015 (as the time machine wasn't invented) and they were way past the 'critical event' (whatever it was) which would have determined their fates...however, in order for there to be a plot, ti was decided that the timeline transformed around them and they were immune to the ripple effect by virtue of being outside their own time. However, when they return to 1985, they're in their own time, and by that logic, they should be erased...but they're not, so we're led to assume that the ripple effect doesn't catch up with them. So Marty and Doc spend something like 5-6 hours in a timeline they are not supposed to exist it, WAY past the so-called 'critical events' that determined their fate...okay, even if we claim that they shouldn't have faded because they're alive in this timeline, then why are the 'normal 1985' versions of them still around? Shouldn't they have faded/transformed into their 1985-A counterparts? If you assume there were no doubles in 1985-A, why did the 1985-A versions get erased, if they belonged to this timeline, as opposed to the normal 1985 versions who didn't belong? If you assume there were doubles, again, why should the anomalies from a previous timeline remain? And forget about Marty and Doc, why hasn't the DELOREAN faded because it most certainly has prevented its own existence? This is where the disconnect between how the ripple effect is depicted in BTTF1 and in BTTF2 comes about.

And the Game takes this even further...normal timeline Doc fades from existence as soon as he returns to his own time (i.e. 1986) because he is now past the 'critical event' (i.e. going to watch Frankenstien) that determined his fate and is no longer immune to the ripple effect. As per the logic of BTTF2, Doc should have been able to exist for a while, alongside normal Marty, in the FCB timeline, alongside the Citizen Brown version. Instead, he disappears and is 'replaced' by FCB Doc. By that logic, Marty too should have disappeared and been replaced by his FCB counterpart. Instead, he exists alongside his FCB counterpart and at no point seems to be in danger of fading from existance...why should the ripple effect work differently for Marty and Doc?

So really, from BTTF2 onwards, the space-time continuum has been increasingly chaotic with regards to shifting timelines and erasures...with the ripple effect working differently in different scenarios.
  • edited July 2011

It vanished because it was temporally synced up with Doc's DeLorean.
  • edited July 2011
    sn939 wrote: »
    Truth be told, the trilogy was never really consistent about alternate timelines, and how long should it take for someone/something to get erased, and which VERSION should get erased...which I suppose is excusable because it was never planned as a trilogy in the first place...

This. And I don't think the physics of the BTTF trilogy and game are consistent at all. You can poke holes in any explanation.

They clearly had the future Marty's show up just for the hell of it.
  • edited July 2011
    I had a crazy thought on the 18 hour drive from Florida to Texas (traveled backwards 1 hour in time, it's like "time travel!") about why Marty didn't faint/why the universe didn't explode when he came into contact with the other 3 Martys from the future (the ones MJF played.)

Bear with me guys.....what if none of those guys were actually Marty?

When Jennifer met herself in 2015, she fainted. When Doc interacted with himself in 1955, he freaked out and made no direct contact with himself, i.e., no eye contact like Jennifer, ect.

When the 3 Martys were yelling and bickering at the end of BTTF:TG, the first Marty definitely got a good look at "present day" Marty, and they definitely were in contact with each other and conversing...thus...maybe they weren't Marty, but 3 other villains who got a hold of time travelling DeLoreans and went back in time to try to....erase some future McFlys and Browns from existence?

I dunno, it's a fun notion to entertain, and probably so far off the mark, more likely than not it's just a nod to the original film with a Telltale twist but....I've seen others trying to decipher it too. Thought I'd throw my .02 in there. XD
  • To be shocked it involves the element of surprise. In the 1955 Doc encounter you speak of, the older doc is not worried about his present self but rather his younger self whom would probably have a huge shock as he is well aware he will eventually invent time travel and does know what he'll look like as an old man and thus likely would likely realize he is seeing himself and being shocked.

Jennifer is in the future and thus realizes she is seeing herself.

Biff has no problem with his other self because old biff is specifically looking for his younger self while young biff has no clue he is seeing his older self.

I'm thinking by this point marty is completely prepared for if not expecting visits from the future especially since he saw the delorean.
  • edited July 2011
    Yeah I think the martys are all just familiar with time travel.
  • edited July 2011
    This is a funny ending but now Telltale has to resolve this in the next game.
  • edited July 2011
    Sorry but the idea of Kid and Edna getting togther seems extremely unlikely

1.Edna burned down Kid's Speakesy and tried to burn down another one of his
    2. Edna hates alcohol enough to burn down its establishments, why would she get together with someone who makes them?
    3. Kid tried to kill Edna, why would she want to get married to him?

think of anymore reasons?
  • edited July 2011
    It would make Biff a relative to Principal Strickland.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2011
    I just edited your thread title, so people who haven't finished the game yet won't get spoiled scrolling through the forum. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.