Rating...

edited July 2011 in The Walking Dead
My sister's boyfriend(Who's a fan of the comics) found out from yours truly about Telltale doing Walking Dead. And I would like to know what the game is going to be rated. I told him that it would likely be T or M but I'd just thought I ask since he's worried about the good stuff being out. Good stuff referring to what made the comic series good.

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2011
    We don't know the exact rating since there game's not done and ready to be rated yet, but we intend to keep the good stuff in. :)
  • edited July 2011
    What do u mean by the good stuff? It actually sounds like your thinking dirty.
    edited July 2011
    Haha I kept that ambiguous because I thought it was funny. I assume Leplaya is referring more to the horror/gore/depravity that shows up from time to time.
  • edited July 2011
    I don't think there's any way for this to not be M.
  • edited July 2011
    I don't think there's any way for this to not be M.

There is. Them totally bombing it. Of course we dont want that now do we?
  • edited July 2011
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    There is. Them totally bombing it. Of course we dont want that now do we?
    Whats wrong with this being M rated? Telltale has done that CSI game that was rated M.
  • edited July 2011
    Leplaya wrote: »
    Whats wrong with this being M rated? Telltale has done that CSI game that was rated M.
    ...I think you got Gman's meaning backwards. He was saying that the way this game could NOT be "M" is if Telltale bombed it, that is, you can't do this game right without content that would necessitate an "M" rating.
  • edited July 2011
    That is not entirely true though.

If they suggest horror instead of just showing plain gore, I wouldn't mind.

Though yeah, the actual story needs some freaky scenes.
  • edited July 2011
    Strayth wrote: »
    That is not entirely true though.

If they suggest horror instead of just showing plain gore, I wouldn't mind.

Though yeah, the actual story needs some freaky scenes.

Yeah, Im not a fan of gore, but I do know the comics have some freaky scenes like
    Tyson's decapitation
    and since telltale wants to be "true to the comics" I would assume there will be some freaky scene like that, and knowing ESRB, that will be "M".
  • edited July 2011
    Will this mark Telltale's first M rated title?
  • Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited July 2011
    No, the CSI games by Telltale are M and although I don't think Poker Night and Hector are rated since they aren't sold via retail or console, I believe they would get an M rating had they been rated by ESRB.
  • edited July 2011
    Why the devil didnt poker nite and hector didnt get rated? Doesn't Telltale want to avoid the complaints from the stupid ones that bought the games thinking it was for children?
  • edited July 2011
    Darkblader wrote: »
    Why the devil didnt poker nite and hector didnt get rated? Doesn't Telltale want to avoid the complaints from the stupid ones that bought the games thinking it was for children?

They dont have to.
    They only have to if it is retail/console released.
    The rest would be the parent's fault.
    Also, thats a double negative:p
    edited July 2011
    Darkblader wrote: »

The App Store has its own internal ratings/warnings/parental controls for "adult" content, and Poker Night had a switch you had to throw manually to unbleep the cursing, which put up a warning. I think, at least on Steam, we also put Poker Night behind an age gate, but I can't remember.

And yes, CSI was rated M. Any game which starts you off with a case where you have to "swab the inside AND the outside of the condom" for DNA evidence is probably going to get slapped with an M pretty quick.
  • edited July 2011
    I don't hit an age gate when going to the Steam page for Poker Night. And that's in an Incognito Chrome window on a computer that's brand new.
    edited July 2011
    I don't hit an age gate when going to the Steam page for Poker Night. And that's in an Incognito Chrome window on a computer that's brand new.

Weird! I remember it being discussed. I guess it was decided to not bother.
  • edited July 2011
    No, the CSI games by Telltale are M and although I don't think Poker Night and Hector are rated since they aren't sold via retail or console, I believe they would get an M rating had they been rated by ESRB.

The Walking Dead will probably be the first "true" M-Rated Telltale game, though.

I don't really count the CSI games as Telltale products since, even though they develop the games, Ubisoft/CBS are the ones that decide everything. I think.
This discussion has been closed.