Making Elaine the Main Character for MI6

2»

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Well technically, Guybrush wouldn't be taken out of the main picture. There's plenty of ways that Guybrush can be implemented into the game so that he's not as big as a character as Elaine, if TellTale decides to take that route in Season 2.
  • edited April 2012
    Eh... I don't know. Guybrush feels like he'd be a crappy NPC. Unless his usual behavior via being controlled by a player is lampshaded and he constantly does shittons of crazy stuff (kinda something along the lines of past Sam & Max from S&M:Season 2). And yeah, it may be fun, but... But why take away the role of a player character from him then?

And the other way around: Elaine doesn't gain anything from becoming a PC (at least I don't see her gaining anything), and, in fact, one of her key character traits - unpredictability (like when at the end of SoMI it was revealed that she could rescue herself or at the end of ToMI:Ch5 she decides to become undead to be able to get hold of the demonic sword) will be taken away from her.

So I personally, as of yet, don't see any benefit for any of the characters (Guybrush/Elaine) to switch their PC/NPC roles. If I'd see any, I'd say, sure, why not play as Elaine? But I don't.
  • SydSyd
    edited April 2012
    I agree with Farlander. Elaine is portrayed as a character that is often 10 steps ahead of everyone else, and I don't think that would translate over very well if she went from NPC to player character.

Could she have a larger role in a future Monkey Island? Sure, I don't see why not. It would be nice to see her character further developed, but I just can't see anyone being the main character of a Monkey Island game aside from Guybrush.
  • edited April 2012
    Farlander wrote: »
    Hm... Nah, bad comparison. Case in point: Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade, Darth Revan, and some others kinda disagree with you :p

And the reason why that's a bad comparison is because Star Wars is a universe that can live on by itself, so to speak, while Monkey Island universe pretty much revolves around Guybrush (so yeah, I do agree with you :p I just don't agree with the comparison you did), and there's not much to it once you take Guybrush out of the equation.

Those are expanded universe. Big difference. A Monkey Island spinoff comic featuring Elaine is much different than a main game featuring Elaine.
  • edited April 2012
    Those are expanded universe. Big difference. A Monkey Island spinoff comic featuring Elaine is much different than a main game featuring Elaine.

While you do have a point there, I would still like to point out that:
    a) The quality of the prequels has nothing to do with Luke.
    b) That a spin-off game featuring Elaine would have the same problems as a main game featuring Elaine.
  • edited April 2012
    Um, no thanks. That'd be like a Superman movie starring Lois Lane. While a capable character in her own right and with some depth of her own (not nearly as much as some people credit her with, though, as there wasn't really much room for her to develop so far), Elaine'd just never be able to carry it and I can't see any benefit to such a change of roles.
  • edited June 2012
    I think some of you are looking too much into this. The Monkey Island series is wacky, crazy, and overall filled with plenty of twists and turns. In reality, the developers can take us anywhere. If they made Elaine the main character for an episode or two, I'll bet they'll think of something crazy to make her character different and refreshing.

I'm not saying that Elaine should be the main character from now on, that's exactly the opposite of what my point is. I'm just saying that TOMI needs some new gameplay twists.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.