Question for the devs - regarding gameplay

edited March 2012 in The Walking Dead
Hey TTG dudes :)

I heard that Walking Dead will be point and click. Does this mean it will be like Jurassic Park (*see link below) where it's sort of like a movie where you interact with pressing buttons or are we, as Lee, gonna be able to walk around by ourselves? It seems to me that you don't have that many choices in JP. So is WD gameplay more tapping buttons and all is 'pre-animated', or do we have the possibility to move left/right/duck/jump etc. as we please?

*Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtiWYjXdcmQ

Comments

• edited March 2012
    I don't work for Telltale, but I can answer your question.

Gameplay-wise, it's definitely a lot closer to Jurassic Park than Sam and Max. There are QTEs for combat, less focus on puzzles and exploration than a conventional adventure game, more straightforward conversations as opposed to huge dialogue trees, etc.

At the same time, though, it's nowhere near as restrictive as JP was. There's an actual character you control, you can actually walk around an area and explore it...Hell, when you select an object a little menu comes up telling what actions you can do with it (Look, Use, Talk, etc.)

So to sum it all up, it's somewhere between a traditional adventure game and the "interactive movie" approach that Jurassic Park tried and failed at.

(P.S.: Jurassic Park wasn't a point-and-click adventure game.)
  • edited March 2012
    I Found this on Youtube but watch carefully may contain Spoilers since it starts a the beginning i believe.

But i make it take you to the half way point so (6Min 17sec in)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbIvS-DiUrs&hd=1&t=6m17s
  • edited March 2012
    That video was great. Got me very pumped!
  • edited March 2012
    Gameplay looks interesting.

I think I may have to get this game.
  • edited March 2012
    That video was helpful. Helped me decide not to buy this. So I could preorder another adventure game.
  • edited March 2012
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    That video was helpful. Helped me decide not to buy this. So I could preorder another adventure game.

Really? Looks a lot better than Jurassic Park in my opinion.

Looks very atmospheric and intense. I really like that idea.
  • edited March 2012
    Please tell me I'm not the only one who laughed my ass off at
    HEY! ARE YOU DEAD?
  • edited March 2012
    Lol I laughed as well.

Game looks great though release it now! I want!! I want!!! Lol
  • edited March 2012
    So telltale learned their lesson and reintroduce interactivity into their games. Wonderful.

As always regarding the gameplay footage I saw they need to work on animations and maybe add some details and better textures here and there, but the atmosphere is nice and the interaction does look like it gives me a feeling of immersion and "doing something". Also glad to see that the interface in action-scenes dont detract from the happenings on screen like the QTEs often did in JPTG and are more "direct".

But I wonder if I will ever forgive them screwing up on my favourite movie Jurassic Park.
  • edited March 2012
    Another cutscene-QTE-fest game. Definitely not for me. :confused:

R.I.P. Telltale.
  • edited March 2012
    Underking wrote: »
    R.I.P. Telltale.

Why?
    I think this could be their masterpiece.
  • edited March 2012
    Gotta love the racist comments in the youtube video. Dear god, I need to figure out what TotalBiscuit uses to remove those, they are pathetic.
  • edited March 2012
    Hey, it may not be for everyone, but that looked awesome to me! Maybe I love the comics and tv show too much, or just love the fact that a game takes place in my home state, but that footage looked pretty cool to me. I've played video games for a long time - glad I'm not too jaded like some others are. I am pumped about this game.
  • edited March 2012
    crash665 wrote: »
    Hey, it may not be for everyone, but that looked awesome to me! Maybe I love the comics and tv show too much, or just love the fact that a game takes place in my home state, but that footage looked pretty cool to me. I've played video games for a long time - glad I'm not too jaded like some others are. I am pumped about this game.

Same here.

Also something I noticed. "She will remember that" popped up when Lee said "I think someone else killed her". As if Clumbentime was just taught something... maybe now she finds it ok to kill the zombies?
  • edited March 2012
    Why?
    I think this could be their masterpiece.

Masterpiece? No. But this does seem to be a step in the right direction. It definitely looks better than Jurassic Park (then again, you'd have a hard time making it worse than Jurassic Park).

I mean, I miss Telltale doing traditional adventure games more than anybody, but I try to keep an open mind. As long as the game itself is well-done, the genre doesn't matter too much.

That said, The Walking Dead doesn't seem worth getting at launch. Maybe when the next Steam sale comes around, though.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2012
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Gotta love the racist comments in the youtube video. Dear god, I need to figure out what TotalBiscuit uses to remove those, they are pathetic.

http://stevenf.com/pages/shutup.css.html
  • edited March 2012
    So will it be on Steam then I wonder or released digitally through the TTG website? Can any devs shine a light on this? Or anyone who knows more than me :o
  • edited March 2012
    With all the falling over and dropping stuff this guy does he kind of reminds me fumbles from Robot chicken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW3dg9VURMU
  • edited March 2012
    This game looks amazing. I'm not watching any more, I want to experience the rest when I have the game on my harddrive. Best looking Telltale game by far, and the control mechanisms look very interesting. Looks like a very good evolution of the traditional Telltale-controls. Very atmospheric too.

Who wrote the first episode?
  • edited March 2012
    Razorneck wrote: »
    So will it be on Steam then I wonder or released digitally through the TTG website? Can any devs shine a light on this? Or anyone who knows more than me :o

It'll be available on both Steam and the Telltale Store. Along with PSN, XBLA, and the App Store.
  • edited March 2012
    I Found this on Youtube but watch carefully may contain Spoilers since it starts a the beginning i believe.

But i make it take you to the half way point so (6Min 17sec in)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbIvS-DiUrs&hd=1&t=6m17s

Video's down. Guess telltale didn't want that shown.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2012
    That content was leaked, not released by us.
  • edited March 2012
    Jake wrote: »
    That content was leaked, not released by us.

If it makes you feel any better, I loved what was leaked and if the game is more of that, you got yourself a win in my book.
  • edited March 2012
    If it makes you feel any better, I loved what was leaked and if the game is more of that, you got yourself a win in my book.

+1 :)
  • edited March 2012

I second this. That leak actually opened me up to the game more than any official information released so far.

I guess there really is no such thing as bad publicity.
  • edited March 2012
    Aww, I missed the leak, but I'm happy to hear that it seemed good. Though I did trust Telltale enough to pre-order it anyway.
  • edited March 2012
    I second this. That leak actually opened me up to the game more than any official information released so far.

I guess there really is no such thing as bad publicity.
    That and I got a working youtube comment blocker out of it.

My god the comments were horrible.
  • edited March 2012
    That and I got a working youtube comment blocker out of it.

My god the comments were horrible.

That they were. I mean, to be fair, the game does seem to have plenty of flaws, but most of the comments were just going "WHY CAN'T I SHOOT THINGS ADVENTURE GAMES SUCK HUEHUEHUEHUEHUE."

I hope that's a lesson to Telltale about the problem with going casual, though. Those are the people they're trying to sell adventure games to.
  • edited March 2012
    That they were. I mean, to be fair, the game does seem to have plenty of flaws, but most of the comments were just going "WHY CAN'T I SHOOT THINGS ADVENTURE GAMES SUCK HUEHUEHUEHUEHUE."

I hope that's a lesson to Telltale about the problem with going casual, though. Those are the people they're trying to sell adventure games to.

Not to mention the racist comments about Lee and laughing on how he stumbled about. The freaking zombie apocalypse just happened, that's a pretty good excuse to not have proper balance.
  • edited March 2012
    I do not feel bad for gamers that want a generic shooter game with the title the walking dead on the box.... There are plenty of decent zombie shooters out there already... No need for another one... I want TWD to have a deep story and the focus to be on the characters... Not the frags..
  • edited March 2012
    Blah, Telltale why so ruin the leakage fun? :( To bad I missed it, I suppose I will just wait a few more days for Playing Dead.
  • G.RossG.Ross Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2012
    Installing shutup.css now....
  • edited March 2012
    Blah, Telltale why so ruin the leakage fun? :( To bad I missed it, I suppose I will just wait a few more days for Playing Dead.

I'll give a bit of a description.

Lee walked around, and anything selectable, within a certain range of the mouse had a little circle around it, meaning it was selectable. Clicking on stuff opened up a little circle of selections, mainly interact and observation.

Later on, Lee fights a zombie which was done in both QTE and through selecting stuff quickly(only one thing was selectable though at a time). Then, Lee talked with Clementine, and at one point he had 3 choices with about 2 seconds to pick, after which, she kidna paused, said something and "She will remember that" appeared at the top right.

That was about it, and telltale, if you don't want this stuff talked about, feel free to delete this.

G.Ross wrote: »
    Installing shutup.css now....
    Google Chrome version is fantastic, you can switch it on and off pretty quickly.
  • edited March 2012
    Not to mention the racist comments about Lee and laughing on how he stumbled about. The freaking zombie apocalypse just happened, that's a pretty good excuse to not have proper balance.

First of all his name is not lee. his name is fumbles... It was always fumbles...

Actually i think it was hilarious how Fumbles kept stumbling about. Maybe Fumbles clumsiness was a bit to exaggarated in the leaked footage though.

Clumsiness scenes:
    Picks up keys
    drop keys right next to zombie mouth YUM DELICIOUS
    Picks up shotgun shell
    drops shotgun shell immedeatly
    Shoots zombie
    Falls over dead zombies corpse
    Sees a big pool of blood on the floor and comments it
    slips and fall pool of blood on the floor
    1 minute later sees zombie
    slip and fall on blood again AND this time hitting his head!

But thats totally fine by me theres a lot of clumsy people IRL (im one of them!) so why not in a game for once? ^^

Anywho im really looking forward to this game and Fumbles clumsiness is not going to stop me from buying it!
  • edited March 2012
    So I'm guessing that the leaked footage of 13 minutes or so is from a review copy of the first episode?

I did the pre-order (with that awesome "Almost Everything" bundle included) yesterday - but I have to say, I absolutely love the in game graphics - reminds me of "Borderlands" or "XIII" from what I've watched today - that cel shaded look has always appealed to me.

Very, very excited to give this a play - keep the same art style for "Fables" and I'll be just as happy!
  • edited March 2012
    In regard to Lee's limping/physical instability, this dude just endured a pretty awful car wreck where he injured his leg pretty badly and encountered some type of monster. I know I'd be pretty wobbly for a few years if that happened to me! ;)
  • edited March 2012
    In regard to Lee's limping/physical instability, this dude just endured a pretty awful car wreck where he injured his leg pretty badly and encountered some type of monster. I know I'd be pretty wobbly for a few years if that happened to me! ;)

If one of those things happened, let alone both.
  • edited March 2012
    You know, even if the video was taken down (which is understandable), it's nice that Telltale's still OK with people discussing it. Most game companies would perma-ban you for even hinting a leak happened in this sort of situation. :p

And while Lee does seem a little...goofy, it does make sense since he's panicked, and panicked people usually don't act completely logical. I don't mind, though. It's nice to have some comic relief (intentional or otherwise).
  • edited March 2012
    I dont mind Fumbles being clumsy, i just hope they dont exaggerate it to much. I mean if every tense scene has you picking up something and then immideatly drop it out of clumsiness, or every time a zombie appears Fumbles trips and falls over for whatever reason in order to make the experience more tense... well im not gonna be a happy panda!
This discussion has been closed.