References to the Comics & TV series (massive spoilers)

***WARNING THERE ARE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD FOR THE VIDEO GAME AND THE TV SERIES***

So, I have noticed that there must be several connections between the game and the TV series. This whole thread hinges on my assumption that this is attached to the TV series and not the comic book? I have to admit that I never read the comic so I don't know how accurate the TV show is to the comic. Please post any other hints to the TV series that have seen that I didn't cover here.

Hershel
This one is obvious, he of course will later on be at the same farm when the crew from the TV series shows up. The only complaint I had of the game was that they didn't really show how isolated the farm is from the rest of the world. It seemed like Lee just wandered onto the farm. *shrug*

Glen
So with Glen taking off the help his friends in Atlanta, this is the setup for how he ends up meeting up with Rick. Since Rick runs across Glen when he is stuck in the tank in Atlanta.

I think it is pretty awesome how they are doing these little setups. It really helps to make the video game feel like a part of the rest of The Walking Dead world!

*SIDE NOTE*
Anybody know when episode 2 will be coming out?

Comments

• edited April 2012
    The game is based on the comic books and ddisregards the TV show completely. I haven't heard anything confirming any of the stuff in the game is Cannon, but if it is it will only be for the comics. Hersal is a complete hardass in this game, even when you tell them the honest truth.
  • edited April 2012
    So in the comic does Rick still meet up with Glen in the same fashion that they did in the TV show? How closely does the TV show follow the comic?
  • edited April 2012
    Game is canon as far as I know.
    So in the comic does Rick still meet up with Glen in the same fashion that they did in the TV show? How closely does the TV show follow the comic?

Rick meets Glenn the same way in the comic. The TV show doesn't follow the comic very closely though. Shane is killed before they even meet Hershel for example. Also, Sophia is still alive in the comics as I recall.
  • edited April 2012
    Glenn even mentions going to Atlanta to save his friends. That is where he meets and saves Rick. As for Hershel, I'm guessing Shawn becomes one of the zombies locked in the infamous barn.

Edit: Let's not forget Lilly. Remember her? She was with the people who attacked the prison. She may even be the one that shot Lori and the baby.
  • edited April 2012

Hershel
    This one is obvious, he of course will later on be at the same farm when the crew from the TV series shows up. The only complaint I had of the game was that they didn't really show how isolated the farm is from the rest of the world. It seemed like Lee just wandered onto the farm. *shrug*

The reason that it doesn't seem isolated is because it really isn't in the comics. The way the farm is portrayed in the game, is the way the farm looks in the comics, and the fact that the farm isn't isolated nor fortified shows in the comics, asa group of strangers come across it and visit the farm.
  • edited April 2012
    Rasher wrote: »
    Let's not forget Lilly. Remember her? She was with the people who attacked the prison. She may even be the one that shot Lori and the baby.

She is.
  • edited April 2012
    Weeksy wrote: »
    She is.

Which means she's also the one who killed The Governor so...yay for her.

Man, there are a lot of spoilers in this thread.
    The only complaint I had of the game was that they didn't really show how isolated the farm is from the rest of the world. It seemed like Lee just wandered onto the farm. *shrug*

Except he didn't just wander onto the farm. He was driven there. By the farmer's son. So... that's pretty airtight.
  • edited April 2012
    shame, i'll guess we will never see shane or the redneck's wich i think they were pretty good adittions to the story itself.
  • edited April 2012
    I'm pretty sure we won't see him, but Shane's still around in the game's timeline so it wouldn't have been impossible. And just because the rednecks weren't in the comic doesn't mean they don't exist at all in the comic's universe. In fact, there are rumors that some version of Daryl might be joining the cast of the comic here in the near future (mostly because of this teaser image).
  • edited April 2012
    I'm pretty sure we won't see him, but Shane's still around in the game's timeline so it wouldn't have been impossible. And just because the rednecks weren't in the comic doesn't mean they don't exist at all in the comic's universe. In fact, there are rumors that some version of Daryl might be joining the cast of the comic here in the near future (mostly because of this teaser image).

Incredibly amazing!! First time I have seen that!!!

I don't think Hershel is a preacher in the comic. Can't remember, though. I'll have to dig out the books from my secret, super-duper air tight protective zombie proof containers.
  • edited April 2012
    Lots of good stuff here, basically I am going to need to get the comic! Has there been any talk of when episode 2 of the game will be out?
  • edited April 2012
    In a month, give or take
  • edited April 2012
    In regards to the canonicity of the game. Straight from the mouth of the creator himself.

That said, I've just barely started reading the comics but I noticed an incongruity between the game and the comic. In the comic Hershel states that his son Shaun had been bitten before they had constructed the fence around the farm. He then died two days later before turning.

Yet in the game Shaun is reinforcing the already built fence and is killed on the spot by two walkers.

It's also a little odd at how advanced the decay is on the zombies at the beginning of the game. I know it's not explicitly stated but it seems that incident on the highway was at the very beginning of their rise and yet they're already portrayed as having decayed quite a bit.
  • edited April 2012
    tobar wrote: »
    In regards to the canonicity of the game. Straight from the mouth of the creator himself.

That said, I've just barely started reading the comics but I noticed an incongruity between the game and the comic. In the comic Hershel states that his son Shaun had been bitten before they had constructed the fence around the farm. He then died two days later before turning.

Yet in the game Shaun is reinforcing the already built fence and is killed on the spot by two walkers.

It's also a little odd at how advanced the decay is on the zombies at the beginning of the game. I know it's not explicitly stated but it seems that incident on the highway was at the very beginning of their rise and yet they're already portrayed as having decayed quite a bit.

Well the "fence" isn't really built until it's in its fully constructed state.
    I agree with you about the decay but a great deal of it may be a result of the color choices made by Telltale. In the comics, the first record of true decay I recall was seeing naked zombies(due to their clothes having rotted off).

Decay is relative too. Ever see how living people look after those survival TV shows? Where someone gets lost in the desert for a few days and they appear dead. Imagine if they actually were dead and in the desert for several days. Though humid, the South feels very much like the desert. A dead body always appears very rotten very quickly here. I'm not sure if that's always the case but it certainly is here.
  • edited April 2012
    It's the bugs. The bugs in the south. I am sure of it. Gawd I hate the damned bugs....
  • edited April 2012
    Guys.. you do forget that the virus is in everyone, and the people who are already dead have risen so they're already decayed and disgusting.

And when a zombie feeds on your face and shits your digested body parts on you, you become a little ugly yourself :) food for thought.
  • edited April 2012
    Good point.
  • edited April 2012
    Voyrin wrote: »
    Guys.. you do forget that the virus is in everyone, and the people who are already dead have risen so they're already decayed and disgusting.

And when a zombie feeds on your face and shits your digested body parts on you, you become a little ugly yourself :) food for thought.
    *ahem*.... ew....
  • bubbledncrbubbledncr Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2012

Wait....zombies have bowel movements? This never occurred to me..
  • edited April 2012
    Rasher wrote: »
    Glenn even mentions going to Atlanta to save his friends. That is where he meets and saves Rick. As for Hershel, I'm guessing Shawn becomes one of the zombies locked in the infamous barn.

Edit: Let's not forget Lilly. Remember her? She was with the people who attacked the prison. She may even be the one that shot Lori and the baby.

Nice one for ruining it (y)
  • edited April 2012
    Chillforce wrote: »
    Well the "fence" isn't really built until it's in its fully constructed state.

While that may be it still doesn't answer Hershel's account of Shaun having survived for two days after being bitten. There's also the slightly iffy thing of Hershel running around with a shotgun given his non-violent stance but that can probably be explained.
  • edited April 2012
    Nice one for ruining it (y)

didn't you read the "spoilers" tag lol anyways HA HA HA HA YOU GOT SPOILED IN A THREAD WITH SPOILERS
  • edited April 2012
    didn't you read the "spoilers" tag lol anyways HA HA HA HA YOU GOT SPOILED IN A THREAD WITH SPOILERS

This was a thread about the game and the tv series. That was a spoiler for the comic. One which I really wish I hadn't seen either.
  • edited April 2012
    Does anyone else reckon that the murderer that "didn't do it", the cop was talking about at the start was Thomas from the prison???
  • edited April 2012
    Spanish wrote: »
    Does anyone else reckon that the murderer that "didn't do it", the cop was talking about at the start was Thomas from the prison???

Could be. But was Thomas a weepy wuss? I remember him as a cool guy on the outside, and fucked up on the inside of course.

EDIT: Look at http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Thomas_Richards

Trivia says: He is mentioned in The Walking Dead Video Game by the officer in Episode 1: A New Day. It is also revealed that he was arrested for murdering his wife.
  • edited April 2012
    Nice one big-augen thanks for that

I love these kinds of details in games like this, of course those people that have only seen the TV series may not pick up on them. I hope there are more to come
  • edited April 2012
    As far as i'm aware, the thread stated it would contain spoilers for the game and tv show...not the comics.
  • edited April 2012
    As far as i'm aware, the thread stated it would contain spoilers for the game and tv show...not the comics.

a sad day indeed
  • edited April 2012
    tobar wrote: »
    This was a thread about the game and the tv series. That was a spoiler for the comic. One which I really wish I hadn't seen either.

Sorry I spoiled it for you, but that comic has been out for a long time now. I didn't realize :(
  • edited April 2012
    Could someone just rename the topic name? Like "Super Walking Dead Universe Spoilers (comics, TV show, game, books)" Maybe add "Keep out! Spoilers inside!" to be sure people read the word "spoilers".
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited April 2012
    big-augen wrote: »
    Could someone just rename the topic name? Like "Super Walking Dead Universe Spoilers (comics, TV show, game, books)" Maybe add "Keep out! Spoilers inside!" to be sure people read the word "spoilers".

Huh. I'll see what I can do.
    /edit: Better now?
    *SIDE NOTE*
    Anybody know when episode 2 will be coming out?

No, and that defo includes the Telltale guys. ;)

Seriously though, if we're lucky, it will be around the end of May, if not, beginning of June. Just add four to six weeks counting from April 24th.

bubbledncr wrote: »
    Wait....zombies have bowel movements? This never occurred to me..

Don't you dare getting ideas for the game!!
  • edited April 2012
    Hey uhh. Remember the police all going to that one area at the begining of the game?

Now remember the beginning of the comics with Rick on the seen fighting that terrorist or whatever? Do you think.... THEY WENT TO AID RICK?

They did call for a medical personal, and Rick was shot...
  • edited April 2012
    If memory serves, Rick was in a small town. I can't remember where exactly, but it was not really near Atlanta, which is where you are heading out of at the beginning of the game.

Edit: In fact, Rick drove his squad car until it ran out of gas, and then rode a horse before he ever reached Atlanta. So, no, he was nowhere near there when he was shot.
  • edited April 2012
    If memory serves, Rick was in a small town. I can't remember where exactly, but it was not really near Atlanta, which is where you are heading out of at the beginning of the game.

but does it ever say where Rick was shot? We really don't know where he was or why. It could have been for him for all we know.
  • edited April 2012
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    but does it ever say where Rick was shot? We really don't know where he was or why. It could have been for him for all we know.
    Well, typically, they take a shooting victim to the nearest hospital. When he woke, he walked to his house and station. Then he drove, and then rode a ways. It didn't actually say where he was when he was shot, but judging by where he was when he woke, and how much he traveled afterward, I doubt seriously he was even remotely involved in the cars racing toward Atlanta.

I believe the police cars were responding to the erupting zombie-pocolypse, only they thought it was nothing more than a riot at the time.
  • edited April 2012
    In the game Glenn is wearing a tshirt featuring the logo of the band Hieroglyphics, which he also wore in issue 5 of the comics.
  • edited April 2012
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Okay, I checked it all out for you, Gman.

Rick was a policeman in Cynthiana, Kentucky (as evidenced by the writing on his squad car in issue #1) This is outside of Lexington, KY and approximately 380 miles north of Atlanta, GA up Interstate 75.

So, I'm sorry, but it couldn't have been Rick.

The radio call at the beginning of the game said, "Be advised, medical personnel are en-route to Hartsfield." Just so you know :)
  • edited April 2012

Could someone expain/spoil this for someone not familiar with the comic book universe? What is the nature of the virus exactly, how do you become a zombie? I thought you had to get bitten by a zombie to turn into one, just dying in ANY (non head damaging) way turn you into a zombie eventually?
  • edited April 2012
    I have yet to read the entire series yet, but am in issue 20+ I think. Anyway, what they discovered was
    what turns people into zombies is a virus that everyone is currently infected with. If you die for ANY reason, you become a zombie, not from the bite of one. Zombie bites kill, but it's the virus that turns you, not the actual bite.
  • edited April 2012
    Okay, I checked it all out for you, Gman.

Rick was a policeman in Cynthiana, Kentucky (as evidenced by the writing on his squad car in issue #1) This is outside of Lexington, KY and approximately 380 miles north of Atlanta, GA up Interstate 75.

So, I'm sorry, but it couldn't have been Rick.

The radio call at the beginning of the game said, "Be advised, medical personnel are en-route to Hartsfield." Just so you know :)

Awww. You done ruin my breakthrough:(
    I have yet to read the entire series yet, but am in issue 20+ I think. Anyway, what they discovered was
    what turns people into zombies is a virus that everyone is currently infected with. If you die for ANY reason, you become a zombie, not from the bite of one. Zombie bites kill, but it's the virus that turns you, not the actual bite.

This here is true
    now matter how you die. You are a zombie. Everyone is infected, everyone can turn. You stub your toe and die that way, you zombie.
This discussion has been closed.