TT's King's Quest: R.I.P. (aka Really Improbable Project)

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Whether a Kings Quest game comes out or not I don't think the 5 game announcement really worked...I'd rather Telltale only announce projects 3 months out from them being released.,not when they haven't even begun to be worked on..that way you can have a huge marketing push and people get excited..it worked for Tales of Monkey Island..but if you announce something and never even mention it 2 years later you lose all the momentum
  • edited December 2012
    I don't think Telltale even has the license anymore, frankly. That's why they keep removing any mention of it from their public statements. I'm actually a little surprised this forum is even still up.
  • edited December 2012
    The 5 game announcement reminds me of Valve saying that we'd get 3 episodes of Half-Life 2 all within a few years time.
  • edited December 2012
    At this point, I'm not sure TTG is even capable of making a game that is on par with the difficulty of the original games, if they're making one at all.
    In fact, I'm so confident that they won't be making King's Quest, I'll give everyone who posts in this thread a free copy of Quest For Infamy next year if they're still making it.

At this point, it's less "will they make it" and more "what shambling corporate presence will they turn the license into".

With QFI, DFA, and the rest of the Kickstarted adventure games(and companies like Wadjet Eye), it almost seems like we're getting another mini-renaissance of adventure games. 2013 will be an AMAZING year for point-and-clicks, but it(at least to me) doesn't look like TTG will be leading the pack as they did the past few years.

And this also has a very slight chance of happening.
  • edited December 2012
    It's just not their concern any more. Honestly, it's a project better left to a smaller studio - the audience isn't big enough for what Tell Tale does now.

Bt

This is exactly how I feel.

I'm pretty certain Telltale's version of King's Quest won't ever see the light of day. It would honestly be a step backwards for them at this point.
  • edited December 2012
    Okay. A promise of a free game if King's Quest is ever made is enough to get me to register for the forum and post in this thread! ;)

(Nice to meet you all!)
  • edited December 2012
    I'm pretty sure, that this will see the light of day. KQ is a legendary name after all, and I can already see how it can be used to sell a ton of copies, considering how adventure games have been on the spot light lately thanks to Kickstarter.
  • edited December 2012
    Ask a random gamer if they've heard of King's Quest. It's not legendary. It should be, but it isn't.
  • edited December 2012
    Most modern gamers, have never heard of it... Unless they have been introduced to it by someone from 'our' generation or earlier generations (mainly speaking of those grew up in the 80s or 90s or earlier), more than likely they would have never heard of it, since Sierra has been gone about 15 years now (almost 15 years since the last official KQ game)... That's a long time, in video game/computer years...

Even still, in the 80s and 90s gamers were a very small nitch in society, so most people during those years never played any games at all. PC gamers were an even smaller nitch, as the cost of computers limited who bought them.
  • edited December 2012
    Indeed. Being one of the most popular games back then isn't the same as now. Now almost everybody has heard of Call of Duty or Halo or something. But back then barely anybody heard of King's Quest when it was big. Comparatively speaking.
  • edited December 2012
    Legendary still is something that they can use to advertise it. They are after all bringing back a legendary title and I can see that being used as a major selling point. And that by its own right can arouse interest from new generations as well, not to speak about that old school game titles are on the rise on the general level, thanks to digital distribution.
  • edited December 2012
    Well ironically enough Sierra used 'legendary' nearly every time Roberta Williams made a game! But she isn't behind this one.

I'm pretty sure they used 'legendary' in advertising previous KQ games when they were first released. But, hey it sounds 'cool', and it is a game series that bases much of its material on fairy tales and 'legends'....! So they aren't exaggerating.
  • edited December 2012
    the walking dead winning game of the year is cool... But I do not think people will all of a sudden start buying up adventure games like crazy.. I don't think ttg is now too big or successful for kings quest.. I really doubt we will see another adventure game reach that sort of acclaim any time soon... Besides there have been a few older series getting successful reboots like x-com no reason to think kings quest can't do the same with a company who just got alot of attention for a game in that genre.
  • edited December 2012
    In fact, I'm so confident that they won't be making King's Quest, I'll give everyone who posts in this thread a free copy of Quest For Infamy next year if they're still making it.

I'll take that bet (especially since it doesn't cost me anything if I lose).

This seems to be the way TTG works. They announced a ton of games at once, but then have pretty much been tight-lipped on all of them until near release. I didn't hear anything about the Walking Dead until it came out, and suddenly it was everywhere. They barely said the word "Fables" since the initial announcement, but they're talking about it now.
  • edited December 2012
    The fact that they announced this game makes me think they've committed to making it. Have they ever announced a game then gone back on it? The success of TWD might push KQ down the queue a bit, but I can't imagine them going through the trouble of acquiring the license only to do nothing with it. This company has taken much greater risks than KQ (Hector).

As long as there's nothing official said, and this forum remains open, I see no reason to think it's not getting made.
  • edited December 2012
    Ask a random gamer if they've heard of King's Quest. It's not legendary. It should be, but it isn't.

There are also a lot of people who watch movies who have never seen Citizen Kane or Casablanca. Numbers aren't everything when it comes to such distinctions.
  • edited December 2012
    Have they ever announced a game then gone back on it?

Some of us are still waiting for the rest of the Bone series :p...
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited December 2012
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    Some of us are still waiting for the rest of the Bone series :p...
    I'm one of them!
  • edited December 2012
    Posting for free Quest For Infamy.
  • edited December 2012
    Heh. Right on, JuntMonkey. The codicil is that if QFI comes out before KQ, you have to buy QFI. I'll HUNT YOU ALL DOWN AND MAKE YOU PAY!

Bt
  • edited December 2012
    Shame on those of you who hadn't already bought your copy of QFI...
  • edited December 2012
    I'll wait for the reviews or my free copy, whichever comes first (or last). I'm so confused...
  • edited December 2012
    Heh. Right on, JuntMonkey. The codicil is that if QFI comes out before KQ, you have to buy QFI. I'll HUNT YOU ALL DOWN AND MAKE YOU PAY!

Oh, I see. Adding on some conditions now. Not so confident any more, are we? :D
  • edited December 2012
    magodesky wrote: »
    Oh, I see. Adding on some conditions now. Not so confident any more, are we? :D

Hahah, no - I am fully confident. I just want you all to buy and enjoy QFI, that's all!

TellTale isn't making a King's Quest game.

Bt
  • edited December 2012
    Irishmile wrote: »
    ...no reason to think kings quest can't do the same with a company who just got alot of attention for a game in that genre.

Telltale's Walking Dead is NOT in the same gaming genre as King's Quest. King's Quest is an adventure game.
  • edited December 2012
    Posting for my free copy as well! HA! :D

Seriously though, no chance they are making KQ.
  • edited December 2012
    Ah hah, it's a trap!

I've figured it out, I think.

See pay attention to nearly everyone involved with QFI or Infamous Adventures in some way (particularly look at comments by Lambonius). In the past they have basically said that even if Telltale puts the title King's Quest on a game it won't be a true "King's Quest". The arguement is that it will be so watered down that it won't even be an 'adventure game' in their mind, or argueably even a 'game' (they think it will end up being a not-so "interactive movie".).

Thus even if they make a game with King's Quest in the title, they won't give out a free copy of QFI, because Telltale didn't really release a real 'King's Quest" "game"!

If Telltale fails to release anything, well its all the easier for them!

Aha, I'm on to your wily ways Blackthorne...
  • edited December 2012
    Hahah - no, no - no quantifying a "King's Quest" validity. If Telltale releases a game entitled "King's Quest", I stand by my previous offer. No tricks.

Bt
  • edited December 2012
    Ok you convinced me, posting for my free copy as well.
  • edited December 2012
    I don't know. The stipulation of "if it comes out before QFI" is a little weak. I don't know when you're planning on releasing it. The Kickstarter page says December 2012, but even if it ends up being several months later than that, it's still almost certainly going to be released before Telltale's King's Quest. We can be pretty sure that even if Telltale is still working on KQ, it won't be released until after they finish Fables. So if they release episode 1 of Fables in January, the absolute earliest we'd see the first episode of King's Quest is June 2013. And that's being absurdly optimistic about Telltale's production schedule.

But that's okay. I was already planning on buying QFI anyway, so I won't hold it against you. ;)

That said, I think it's worth noting that Telltale's production schedule is unlike that of practically any other game developer in the industry. Frankly, I wouldn't expect to see anything about King's Quest at this point. If we still haven't heard anything by this time next year, then I might start worrying that it's been cancelled.

As for the comments that Telltale is too big for King's Quest now, I think that maybe the fans are letting all of the "Game of the Year" awards go to their heads. The success of The Walking Dead is certainly good for Telltale. But one success does not a video game giant make. And I doubt they'd take it as a sign that they should abandon the types of games that have gotten them this far. The way I see it, King's Quest is pretty much right in Telltale's wheelhouse.
  • edited December 2012
    Heh... they're not working on it. We are, however, working on QFI.

Bt
  • edited December 2012
    I'll put it this way: If they DO make a King's Quest game, it'll be MUCH later than previously suggested, and it won't be in the same order as it was listed in that "five game announcement" from a long time ago. Not unless they've got some great lawyers.
  • edited December 2012
    magodesky wrote: »

As for the comments that Telltale is too big for King's Quest now, I think that maybe the fans are letting all of the "Game of the Year" awards go to their heads. The success of The Walking Dead is certainly good for Telltale. But one success does not a video game giant make. And I doubt they'd take it as a sign that they should abandon the types of games that have gotten them this far. The way I see it, King's Quest is pretty much right in Telltale's wheelhouse.

Yes this...
  • edited December 2012
    Well, I'm from the PSX generation, so I never played King's Quest and I don't have high stakes in this prject, but I won't believe it's been cancelled until TTG comes out and says so. In any case, we most likely won't hear anything official until after Fables is finished.

In any case, I also want my free game. Because, why not :p?
  • edited December 2012
    Has anyone tried bugging anyone at Telltale for an update? I suppose they're mostly unreachable,.. but it seems worth a shot given the amount of speculation going on here endlessly.

Given the somewhat-returned enthusiasm for the genre, it'd seem silly if someone didn't tackle bringing KQ back. It'd be an easy way to tap into all that old-school street cred... It does seem a bit out-of-the-mainstream for Telltale these days, but they could go really big with it.. the franchise always had that mainstream appeal going for it. Maybe more risky than whatever licenses they've got.

I'd also be a little pissed that they let this forum stay up here for ages, where dozens of people comment regularly and their entire fan base can see it, if they're just going to throw out a "cancellation" press release... or worse, never say anything.

And in the off-chance that they actually do release something, I'll take a free copy, BT.
  • edited December 2012
    This is the most recent update I've been able to find:
    Can you tell us anything about King’s Quest? You guys got the license and you’re doing something with it, but we haven’t heard too much about it.

Yeah, you know, King’s Quest kind of came in with all of the other licenses at the same time. We’d already had the Universal stuff for a while and we were working on that, and then we signed King’s Quest around the same time as Walking Dead and Fables, and we’ve gone into production on both of those, and King’s Quest is one that we’ve been trying to figure out how to staff and get into production.

Do you have a vision for it?

That’s kind left for Dave Grossman and his group. We’ve certainly talked to a lot of people about it, but we really don’t have anything else to say about it right now.

So they still had the license and were still planning on making a King's Quest game as of May of this year. Could that just be outdated information? Sure, I suppose. But I don't know that anything has drastically changed in the last seven months. If anything, Telltale is now in an even better position to make a new KQ game with the success of The Walking Dead.

It kind of sounds to me like the game just wasn't very far into production while they focused their attention on more immediate projects like Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, and The Walking Dead. That would also be the reason for the lack of updates. Doesn't mean we won't start to hear more as production on KQ picks up.
  • edited December 2012
    Why would they license the game more than two years in advance then? And if something did drastically change do you really think they'd announce it? I don't.
  • edited December 2012
    Why would they license the game more than two years in advance then?

Why wouldn't they? The fact is, in the world of video game development, two years is not that long. They got the license to Fables around the same time, and that's still in development too.
    And if something did drastically change do you really think they'd announce it? I don't.

No, but there's no reason to think that things have changed in the last few months either. The only news regarding Telltale I've seen so far since that time is all of the glowing praise and Game of the Year awards that have been heaped upon them. It's hard for me to imagine the executives at Telltale looking at that and going, "OMG, look at all this money we're making. We'd better change our strategy because it's working so well."

On the other hand, all we have to point to to suggest that something has changed is the fact that we haven't heard anything in a while. Which again, is hardly surprising, especially considering how Telltale's production schedules usually go.
  • edited December 2012
    We'll see.
  • edited December 2012
    you'll see.
    we'll see.
    you'll see.

Well, I really hope to see something, someday... ;)
This discussion has been closed.