Walking Dead-Could not initialize direct3d

edited July 2013 in Game Support
I played through the first 5 episodes with no problem with a Radeon video card. I downloaded 400 days and the launcher gives me the error:
"Could not initalize Direct3D. Make sure you have current video drivers and close any other applications that might be running. You will need a video card that supports at least pixel shader version 1.2."

I installed a nvidia 660 in January and that's the only thing that I can think of that might be causing a problem. Someone please help.

Thanks

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Please follow the instructions to run the Support Tool and attach the resulting "support_data_pc.zip" to your next reply in this thread.
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks
  • edited July 2013
    I'm having the same issue. I downloaded the game. and started it up. the game ran fine. i played a few minutes of it good. and then i decided to mess with the settings and change the screen resolution because i didnt like the fact that it was playing on widescreen for me. and i was trying to make it full screen. i don't remember which one i picked. something like 1400x1600 or something just guessing. and now everytime i try to run the game i just get a white screen and a notice saying "Could not initalizeDirect3D. Make sure you have current video drivers and close any other applications that might be running. You will need a video card that suppoerts at least pixel shader version 1.2" I don't understand what this means. and all i can say is it was working FINE until i messed with the resolution. and now i can't fix it at all. I even tried deleting the whole thing and re downloading the whole game but i still get the blank white screen and the same notice. I'm kinda upset and bummed about this. Was hoping someone could help me figure this out. I did what you said to do on the top. and here's the zip file.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    kwaddell wrote: »
    Thanks
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (16 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Dell ST2220L(HDMI)
    Setting your display color depth to 32 bit should fix it.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    lalalisah wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue.

You can reset the settings by deleting the prefs.prop from
    C:\Users\Lisa\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks man! I'm a little upset that it was that simple to fix it and I'm also wondering how it changed from 32 bit in the first place. Oh well
  • [removed]

DjNDB posted: »

Please follow the instructions to run the Support Tool and attach the resulting "support_data_pc.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• I'm having the exact same issue as lalalisah and since im not really the best with computers, i dont know how to delete the prefs.prop. But i am able to get to the walking dead file. If you can help, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

• Actually scratch that. I deleted prefs.prop, but it still won' work.

KAnemo posted: »

I'm having the exact same issue as lalalisah and since im not really the best with computers, i dont know how to delete the prefs.prop. But i am able to get to the walking dead file. If you can help, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

• I followed your instructions.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Deleting the prefs.prop was only suitable in the earlier case because the user hadn't played much. It should still work, but you'd lose all you progress, but you were lucky because steam cloud restored it.

I can load your save files and change it to lower settings.

Please zip and upload the prefs.prop and all *.save files from the savegame folder ( %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\ ).
    Please upload it as a single .zip file to an instant filehoster and post the download link.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/a1avzv

• DjNDB posted: »

Deleting the prefs.prop was only suitable in the earlier case because the user hadn't played much. It should still work, but you'd lose all yo

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Alright, here you go. I set all settings to low and windowed mode, so it should work on your system.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5znruz ok here.

• It didn't work. can you try again on this one? or if that doesn't work, is there another option?
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/17kte7

Alright, here you go. I set all settings to low and windowed mode, so it should work on your system.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I forgot you're running on steam.

Please disable steam cloud for TWD (In Steam, right click TWD and select "properties". Open the tab "updates" and remove the checkbox from "Enable Steam cloud synchronization for TWD).

Then unzip the files i posted earlier, and copy the prefs.prop and all *.save files to
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

It didn't work. can you try again on this one? or if that doesn't work, is there another option? http://www.sendspace.com/file/17kte7

• Thank you so much, I really appreciate it :D

I forgot you're running on steam. Please disable steam cloud for TWD (In Steam, right click TWD and select "properties". Open the tab "upda

• hey, can you please help me?
    I am having the same problem,
    "Could not initalizeDirect3D. Make sure you have current video drivers and close any other applications that might be running. You will need a video card that supports at least pixel shader version 1.2"
    and I just installed the game, I didn't play it yet, so there aren't any saved files. My display color is already set on 32 bit.
    So can you please walk me through the solution, it's driving me crazy.
    Thank you,

I forgot you're running on steam. Please disable steam cloud for TWD (In Steam, right click TWD and select "properties". Open the tab "upda

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" or "TWD_support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

blancooo7 posted: »

hey, can you please help me? I am having the same problem, "Could not initalizeDirect3D. Make sure you have current video drivers and clos

• DjNDB posted: »

Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" or "TWD_support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

@blancooo7

Card name: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
    Chip type: NVIDIA
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0427&SUBSYS_30CF103C&REV_A1

You have no proper graphics driver installed. Please install the latest nvidia driver.

That's it: http://www.sendspace.com/file/q62map

• Yeah, I tried that earlier today, and tried it again now, but for some reason, when the installation is done and they ask me to restart, I do and exactly before the login screen (where i put my pc password) , The screen goes black, but the laptop is still running; I don't know why, and the only way to get the laptop running normal again is to restore to an earlier point.
    Do you know the reason? It might something in the laptop that can't be fixed
    Thanks

@blancooo7 Card name: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter Chip type: NVIDIA Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0427&SUBSYS_30CF103C&REV_A1 You have no proper graphics driver installed. Please install the latest nvidia driver.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I don't know why the driver doesn't work. You can try the driver from the notebook manufacturer.

Yeah, I tried that earlier today, and tried it again now, but for some reason, when the installation is done and they ask me to restart, I do

• Oh ok!!, I got it, it is because the laptop was originally operating on windows vista, and now it is operating on windows 7, that's why the video card is not fully functioning; I think it was designated for windows vista and the new operating system does not work with the hardware design, anyway thanks a lot.

I don't know why the driver doesn't work. You can try the driver from the notebook manufacturer.

• [removed]

• Hi! I too have this problem with the Direct3D here are my data.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/xqyrze

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

@Jalai

You can try unplugging your TV.

Jalai posted: »

Hi! I too have this problem with the Direct3D here are my data. http://www.sendspace.com/file/xqyrze

• Hmm didnt work =(

@Jalai You can try unplugging your TV.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

@Jalai
    That's odd. Please keep it disconnected, and try some more things.

Please install the latest graphics driver and sound driver.

Please also check the properties of the Steam.exe, and the games .exe files for TWD S1 and S2, and disable any compatibility mode and "run as admin" settings.
    Sometimes compatibility mode is checked, but is grayed out. Then you have to click on "Change settings for all users" at the bottom to disable the checkbox.
    Afterwards try if the game works.

If the method mentioned above didn't work, you can try disabling it in the registry. Then restart the computer and try running the game again.

If it still fails to start, please try running the game during a clean boot.

Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. If running the game on Steam, re-check the "Steam Client Service"
    8. Click on OK
    9. Click Restart.
    10. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your settings by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

If none of that gets it to work, please run the support tool again and post the updated information.

Jalai posted: »

Hmm didnt work =(

• help! i get the same message as these other people but i don't think for the same reason and i don't know why.
    thanks
    cecilia

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

@ceciliacjohnson

help! i get the same message as these other people but i don't think for the same reason and i don't know why. thanks cecilia

• someone can expliend this in spanish pls need help

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff
    edited March 2014

Processor: AMD A8-3520M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~1.6GHz

It seems as though your computer's processor does not meet the minimum system requirements to run the game successfully. Where we require a minimum of 2.0 GHz, your processor is currently running at 1.6 GHz. I apologize for the inconvenience.

I have added the above statement in Spanish below using Google Translate to hopefully clarify the issue better:

Parece que el procesador del equipo no cumple los requisitos mínimos del sistema para ejecutar el juego con éxito. Cuando se requiere un mínimo de 2,0 GHz, el procesador está funcionando a 1,6 GHz. Me disculpo sinceramente por las molestias.

cubanoxx posted: »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ywcevw pls help me

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2014

@cubanoxx

Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (16 bit) (60Hz)

You need to set your display color depth to 32 bit.

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead
    07/14/2009 02:15 PM 145,408 dinput8.dll

Also please delete the dinput8.dll from this folder.

cubanoxx posted: »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ywcevw pls help me

• Hi

I am having the same problem. I have tried all the solutions in this thread but to no avail. The game was working for a good while but all of a sudden has stopped. I have been having problems connecting to my HDTV so I changed a few display settings around but have changed them all back. This is the only thing I think could have effected the game.

Link below to diagnotics after running support tool:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/trb088

Thanks in advance

You can try changing your resolution to a 16:9 aspect ratio such as 1280x720 or 1920x1080.

If that doesn't work, please try updating the drivers of your graphics card to the latest version.

donnaile posted: »

Hi I am having the same problem. I have tried all the solutions in this thread but to no avail. The game was working for a good while but

• Thanks for your reply

I updated my graphics card drivers to the latest version before I posted on here. Just tried changing resolution now but still no joy.

It has always run perfectly on 1366x768. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

You can try changing your resolution to a 16:9 aspect ratio such as 1280x720 or 1920x1080. If that doesn't work, please try updating the drivers of your graphics card to the latest version.

I apologize for the inconvenience. If you can, do you currently have another display option other than your television that you can test to rule out the possibility of it being a display issue? If you do, please try and see if you are able to display the game correctly on another device, and reply if you are still running into this issue.

donnaile posted: »

Thanks for your reply I updated my graphics card drivers to the latest version before I posted on here. Just tried changing resolution now but still no joy. It has always run perfectly on 1366x768. Any other suggestions? Thanks

This discussion has been closed.