Bay Area folk: Sign up to be a SBCG4AP playtester!

EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
If you live near our San Rafael, CA office and would like to throw your name into the hat for Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People playtests, please make your wishes known. We hold a playtest a few weeks before an episode is finished. Often, pizza is served.

Also, tell your friends!

Update: 102 playtest coming soon, so if you're local and would like to participate but haven't submitted your name yet, please do!

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Too bad. I live in NYC (which rules, no doubt, but the Bay Area has its Amenities (and lots of them, I might add)).
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008
    Scoretastic :D
  • edited May 2008
    Great chance for everyone to see the studio gifts Live and In Person! :D
  • MelMel
    edited May 2008
    I was just at TT the other day and I can't believe how FULL it is. I was last there to playtest 201 and it was pretty barren with a bunch of empty cubicles. I also saw the Moai lamp, which was really cool. :)
  • edited May 2008
    Curse my living on the East Coast! *shakes fist*
  • edited May 2008
    OK, I gotta know. If all the playtests are in San Rafael, why do you need to ask where people live and if they can get on-site?
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008
    Because a lot of people respond even if they don't live nearby, and that's the only way to sort through and find the people who do. :p
  • edited May 2008
    My East side brethren and sistren (it's a word now, foo's!)... we need a Telltale-bound road trip... :p
  • edited May 2008
    I was wondering about something. After the playtesting commences can we bug the playtesters of the game about what the game is like on this board :), or do they have to sign some sort of confidentiality agreement?
  • edited May 2008
    Nope. Non-disclosure agreements all 'round.
  • edited May 2008
    My lips would be sealed, but lemme ask...
    Is Sacramento considered out of reach? Its not that far of a drive. I would love to attend if others don't take priority. (and its not held at 8am or something insane)

I'm not local, but SF isn't local to SR in my opinion.. its like saying Sacramento is Marysville (its not yet every year warped tour is held in Sacramento's Sleeptrain...residing in Marysville)

I filled out the application anyway but I was just wondering how far you will go out. If just local you should say that on the application (MUST BE LOCAL)
    the forum was the first time I saw SF residents was needed.
  • edited May 2008
    That's up to you, really. If you can get to San Rafael, you're more than welcome :)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008
    We included the "Where do you live?" question to help us understand where people are coming from, but anyone who says they can come on-site will be considered. :)
    edited May 2008
    Playtest normally start at noon (?) so as long as you can wake up at a sane hour to get to San Rafael I think you can call yourself local.
  • MelMel
    edited May 2008
    Kaldire wrote: »
    My lips would be sealed, but lemme ask...
    Is Sacramento considered out of reach? Its not that far of a drive. I would love to attend if others don't take priority. (and its not held at 8am or something insane)

I'm not local, but SF isn't local to SR in my opinion.. its like saying Sacramento is Marysville (its not yet every year warped tour is held in Sacramento's Sleeptrain...residing in Marysville)

I filled out the application anyway but I was just wondering how far you will go out. If just local you should say that on the application (MUST BE LOCAL)
    the forum was the first time I saw SF residents was needed.

I've gone in multiple times and I live in Davis. You'd just have to tack on another 10 miles. They have yet to lock the doors when I arrive. :p

Edit: It usually takes me 1 and a quarter to 1 and a half hours to drive in. It's usually on a Saturday, so the traffic isn't bad at all.
  • edited May 2008
    I was cheeky. I asked them for a .exe file because I can't reach their offices. Why? I live in the UK. :)
  • edited May 2008
    Sorry guys, we're not distributing builds outside the office for now. Gotta come to us or nothing :)
  • edited May 2008
    Sorry guys, we're not distributing builds outside the office for now. Gotta come to us or nothing

That seems fair. You know what I would call a build distributed outside of your office before release?
    A leak.
  • edited May 2008
    on the other hand: in the age of digital distribution worldwide online-testing should be possible...maybe in a few years.

anyway, next time you do the testing thing, could you notify me maybe a half year beforehand? i can then file a vacation request on time..
  • SegSeg
    edited May 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    on the other hand: in the age of digital distribution worldwide online-testing should be possible...maybe in a few years.

That's not quite the purpose for a play test. It's not testing in the sense of bug hunting and reporting. A play test is our chance to have people approach the game with fresh eyes and tell us how it plays. It's for us to figure out what works, as opposed to what breaks.

For this, person-to-person communication is needed both individually and in a group setting. We want to have a conversation with the people who play the game and figure out what works and what doesn't. For this very reason, play testing is done on-site.
  • MelMel
    edited May 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    That's not quite the purpose for a play test. It's not testing in the sense of bug hunting and reporting. A play test is our chance to have people approach the game with fresh eyes and tell us how it plays. It's for us to figure out what works, as opposed to what breaks.

For this, person-to-person communication is needed both individually and in a group setting. We want to have a conversation with the people who play the game and figure out what works and what doesn't. For this very reason, play testing is done on-site.

Not enough game developers do this. :)
  • edited May 2008
    Mel wrote: »
    Not enough game developers are located in Pennsylvania. :)

Fix'd. :p
  • edited May 2008
    Thats because everywhere except California is bunc. CA for the win!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh and all those awesome developers not located in California are a shame. Their offices are really here but for tax purposes they claim to be elsewhere. :)
  • edited May 2008
    We have Amish. Booyah! :D You guys just have a few Beach Boys, RHCP, and Tupac songs based on you. We have AMISH! :D

Wait... damn... you win this time! *shakes fist toward sky*
  • edited May 2008

TMAP (a testing standard our company uses, don't know if it's known outside of Europe) calls this method "ghosting". Testers (and sometimes we developers too) would watch people use the software, and see how they respond to it, and how they use the GUI.

It's not often used, but very insightful.

--Erwin
  • edited May 2008
    that sounds fun..instead of working yourself, watch other people work.

@seg: the playtesting you do at the moment seems to be definitely working and having a few people onsite, so you can talk to them in person, is probably the best way to do it, but that doesn't mean you couldn't also do online-tests. of course this is completely theoretically...but, since telltale has quite a few international cutomers, wouldn't it be interesting to know how they react to a game beforehand? some jokes just don't work for other cultures..
  • SegSeg
    edited May 2008
    @seg: the playtesting you do at the moment seems to be definitely working and having a few people onsite, so you can talk to them in person, is probably the best way to do it, but that doesn't mean you couldn't also do online-tests.

For the case of Wii titles, it requires special Wii hardware in order to play the Wii version. That blows any chance of remoting it right there. But playtesting isn't about sending someone out to play the game and report back the results, it's also observing the player while they are working the project. It's a lot better to have people on-site. While granted it would be nice to include a wider cross-section, the technology hoops to allow remoting hinder the goals of playtesting. I should mention that the world really loves the Sam & Max yet we still playtested in English at our studios.

Playtesting is actually very common in the games industry. It's just not very common that the studio makes a casting call on the internet publicly. As an example, Harmonix was all about who you knew. To get into a playtest was for someone who had done it prior to bring a guest.
  • MelMel
    edited May 2008
    it's also observing the player while they are working the project.

Heh. When I was playtesting 201 (I think it was that) and I was
    playing the boxing game
    , I was sitting sort of close to Brendan's cubicle and I wasn't getting the gameplay and muttering/swearing under my breath. He heard me and came over to help (and I think they may have even tweaked that a bit for idiots like me :p).
  • edited May 2008
    Mel wrote: »
    Heh. When I was playtesting 201 (I think it was that) and I was
    playing the boxing game
    , I was sitting sort of close to Brendan's cubicle and I wasn't getting the gameplay and muttering/swearing under my breath. He heard me and came over to help (and I think they may have even tweaked that a bit for idiots like me :p).

Hehe, yeah swearing always helps in software development. On my machine, cursing is setup as a macro. I think "barbara streisand" is setup as Shift+F11

:D
  • edited May 2008
    but, since telltale has quite a few international cutomers, wouldn't it be interesting to know how they react to a game beforehand? some jokes just don't work for other cultures..
    During playtests, we usually focus on making sure the story's clear and whether the playtesters think the puzzles and minigames make sense and are fun. We don't usually monitor testers' reactions to the dialogue or jokes, because that stuff is so subjective, and also because if you start trying to write for a particular audience, it comes out lame.
    edited May 2008
    Chuck wrote: »
    During playtests, we usually focus on making sure the story's clear and whether the playtesters think the puzzles and minigames make sense and are fun. We don't usually monitor testers' reactions to the dialogue or jokes, because that stuff is so subjective, and also because if you start trying to write for a particular audience, it comes out lame.

Do you think Comedic timing still has a technical component in editing that might be worth adjusting per audience reaction?
  • edited May 2008
    Shauntron wrote: »
    Do you think Comedic timing still has a technical component in editing that might be worth adjusting per audience reaction?

Nah, that's intuition.
  • edited May 2008
    Ahh, if only you were SoCal.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008

I imagine that if a bunch of people specifically call out a scenario that isn't reading, it would be addressed, but successful comedic timing is usually up to the discretion of the choreographer responsible for that scene (and the writers). Like, as in, making sure a joke times out well is part of their job when putting together dialog scenes.
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Nah, that's intuition.

Says what I was trying to say more succinctly.
    edited May 2008
    Will I be breaking my NDA by saying that I was happy with what I played?

Really, was fun as usual. Good to see folks again and meet new ones. Scott you're pretty much as amped in person as you are on the net, and that's something when you're at work at 6pm on a saturday.
  • edited May 2008
    Shauntron wrote:

Considering that this doesn't tell me any new info, except that you liked what you played (which isn't as revealing as say, any type of Spoilers), I don't see that as breaking the NDA...

...Then again, I'm not a lawyer for Telltale, so...
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008

Really, was fun as usual. Good to see folks again and meet new ones. Scott you're pretty much as amped in person as you are on the net, and that's something when you're at work at 6pm on a saturday.

Our lawyers will be at your door within the hour. Don't try to leave. We will find you.
    edited May 2008
    Will wrote: »
    Our lawyers will be at your door within the hour. Don't try to leave. We will find you.

I was very neutral and tepid about what I may or may not have played.

...ambiguous.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008
    Well ok... we will let you off. THIS TIME!
  • edited May 2008
    Lol

I had fun too :P

(Kal runs and dives into the nearby bushes!)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.