If you could only see one movie this summer...

Comments

• edited May 2008
    Touché! :p

Blame fighting games for that. Even MY back hurts just looking at some of those characters...
  • edited May 2008
    Squinky wrote: »
    Now you know how us ladies feel when we play video games!

Try reading comic books too! Huge self-esteem crusher.
  • edited May 2008
    The only one I'm actually likely to see is Chronicles of Narnia 2, I pretty much never see movies in the theater except with my nieces, and that's one I would...
  • edited May 2008
    MaxFan wrote: »
    The only one I'm actually likely to see is Chronicles of Narnia 2, I pretty much never see movies in the theater except with my nieces, and that's one I would...

You should take your nieces to see Indiana Jones! :D
  • edited May 2008
    Locomojo wrote: »
    I'm suprised no one voted for The Hulk. Not that I voted for it either, heh. Just suprised is all.

I probably would have but I'm a much bigger Iron Man fan than Hulk. Anything robotic (especially of the giant variety) is a bug plus for me. :D

Also, There was a huge (life-size?) statue of the Hulk in the theater lobby when I went to see Iron man. I got pics of it on my cell phone. :D
  • edited June 2008
    I have to admit, after recently seeing Kung Fu Panda I was really impressed. I don't know if I'm biased since I'm a fan of Jack Black and Martial arts movies, but even so it's doing fairly well with critics too.

The Forbidden Kingdom was another winner in my books too. It wasn't perfect and I wish they didn't cut some scenes out but I still really enjoyed it. It's apparently already out on DVD in China, so I'll have to take trip down to chinatown someday to pick it up.
  • edited June 2008
    I went to see Indiana inally the other day and I must admit I adored it, one of the best films of the year so far
  • edited June 2008
    I really liked it too - my first movie this year. I'll be seeing Shine A Light next week, and damn I'm looking forward to that!

Everything else I'll probably catch on DVD.
  • edited June 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    It's apparently already out on DVD in China, so I'll have to take trip down to chinatown someday to pick it up.

Tell me if they have Indy 4 on DVD there when you come back. I'm just curious.
  • edited June 2008
    So so far, out of the proposed list, I've seen:

Iron Man
    Indiana Jones 4
    Speed Racer

... and they were all pretty good :)

A lot of the others aren't out here yet, but we'll probably see more.
  • edited June 2008
    Apart from the Dark Knight, I'm excited about Hancock, I uber love Will, I think he's brilliant. Fresh Prince is one of my fave shows!
  • edited June 2008
    For about the last year and half the only movie I've been looking forward to see, and that is the ONLY movie I've been looking forward to is The Dark Knight, You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger batman fan than me. Though I did see Iron Man and Indiana Jones and they were absolutely fantastic, gonna see the Hulk soon since (much to my surprise) everybody is saying it's good.
  • edited June 2008
    For some reason I'm iffy about the Hulk, the graphics don't impress me.

And high five to another obsessed Batman fan!
  • edited June 2008
    For some reason I'm iffy about the Hulk, the graphics don't impress me.
    Well, how the hell do you expect them to make a nine-foot green muscle man look real?

Go see it because it's more true to the comic. I saw it opening night, so I can vouch for that.
  • edited June 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    Well, how the hell do you expect them to make a nine-foot green muscle man look real?

Go see it because it's more true to the comic. I saw it opening night, so I can vouch for that.

Well comehow they can make massive transformers look real.
  • edited June 2008
    But CGI metal is easier than CGI living flesh!

Plus the CGI in the first few trailers is unfinished.

CGI
    CGI
    CGI
  • edited June 2008
    Like Pixar once said in a round-table discussion on the topic of computers and movies, just because it is CGI doesn't make a bad idea a great one.

That said, Hulk is pretty much what anyone could want from that character. A whole lot of property distruction. :D
  • edited June 2008
    *shrugs* I might go see it, but I'm not going to rush out to. I wasn't boldover in general by the trailer.
  • edited July 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    Sex and the City, of course. :p

*shudders*
  • edited July 2008
    DEFINITELY Dark Knight... Tropic Thunder has a second. I saw IJ and CONPC, both were all right. I am prolly gonna see Wall-E eventually, everything else I can wait for DVD.

Hancock looked pretty sw33t, though.
  • edited July 2008
    I'm shocked at the underwhelming sales of Hellboy II this weekend. I know it's not something that appeals to the mainstream public as much as other superhero movies, but it still deserves to be seen. I saw it this weekend and it blew my mind. There is nothing else like this movie out there right now and you owe it to yourselves to see this. That is.... until the Dark Knight comes out...
  • edited July 2008
    It had looked pretty interesting, but I'm gonna see Dark Knight first, definitely.
  • edited July 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    I'm shocked at the underwhelming sales of Hellboy II this weekend. I know it's not something that appeals to the mainstream public as much as other superhero movies, but it still deserves to be seen. I saw it this weekend and it blew my mind. There is nothing else like this movie out there right now and you owe it to yourselves to see this. That is.... until the Dark Knight comes out...

i will either go and see it or buy the dvd when it is out. i loved the first one
  • edited July 2008

(....what, am I the only girl around here or something?)

*Looks at Emi* Um, No.

Anyway, back on topic: I chose The Dark Knight because with Batman Begins, Christopher Nolan, who already established himself with Memento, did the impossible: He took what many thought was a franchise Joel Schumacher killed and made it rise out of the grave like a phoenix. The tone of the movie was great, the casting was great, and it was paced lightly but you had a good track of what was going on. I didn't like the unorthodox choice of the batmobile, but it is a movie I'm proud to own on DVD. I can only hope that the sequel has around the same quality.
  • edited July 2008

(....what, am I the only girl around here or something?)

Being a fellow chick, I have to say I'd rather see the Dark Knight over Sex and the City ANY day.
  • Indy was the summer's BIGGEST Dissapointment IMO. Not as fun as the first 3.

As for the two I'd love to see... I've narrowed it down to Wall-e and Dark Knight. I've heard Ledger's acting is WAAAYYY better and awesomer than Jack Nicholson (As Joker) in the original Batman.... Only diffrence is Jack's Character looks more like the comic book character than Ledger's.

Ledger's Joker looks like a Physchotic guy from prison with too much Lipstick. Than again, that's what the Joker IS supposed to be. =P

Anyways, Wall-e was a Great Family movie, even a bunch of touch Seniors at me school liked it, but Dark Knight will be awesome! I heard Scarecrow is coming back! =D
  • edited July 2008
    I was hoping for a Harley Quinn appearence but that isn't going to happen *grunts*
  • edited July 2008
    That might be too much awesome to contain in one film. :p

As it is, I've never been so excited for a Batman flick. The Joker remains one of my all-time favorite comic book villains, and I can only watch the first movie so many times. :D
  • edited July 2008
    I wasn't so keen on the first 2 films, not because I thought they were bad, I'm just not into Tim Burton's style, but I don't mind them and appricate them. Jack Nicholson does make and awesome Joker though. Just don't go into the Batman Forever and Batman & Robin films. Just don't.

The last film has been my fave so far so the next is going to be superb.
  • edited July 2008
    There were no Batman Forever/Batman & Robin films. They never existed! :p
  • edited July 2008
    On the subject of Batman. I saw this today
    http://www.dvdactive.com/images/news/screenshot/2008/7/batmancompanimseri1art.jpg

I've been thinking about getting one of the single sets, but this really tempted me.
  • edited July 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    There were no Batman Forever/Batman & Robin films. They never existed! :p
    No. Sorry. If I'm not allowed to discontinuitize the Zelda CD-i games, you can't apply discontinuity to Joel Schumacher.
    Behold...
    batman_skates.jpg

(I was going to put up a far more painful image from the suiting-up sequence, but nobody deserves to see that)
    EDIT: The IMG tag didn't work for some reason, so just pretend I put up a pic of Mr. Freeze or Bat-skating or something.
  • edited July 2008
    Hehe, I was thinking about that while posting...

Of course, Joel did one thing right: He presented Uma Thurman in a ridiculously tight costume. :D
  • jmmjmm
    edited July 2008
    Just watched The Dark Knight... totally worth the admission price.
    I won't spoil the movie... but I'm eagerly awaiting the next part though.
  • edited July 2008
    It's not out here til the 24th grr. But I'm weeing myself with the excitement of it actually coming to IMAX, BOO-YA!
  • edited July 2008
    I know that now, since this Movie thread's here, I'm gonna have to try as hard as I can too not bash that Crapfest coming next year.Did the Director even read the novel before he decided to film Journey To The Center Of The Earth?There were only men, no children, 3 of men. One was a professer, the other was his nephew, and the last was the guide.They met no dinosaurs,No floor gave out underneath them,etc.etc. And that was only the trailer.
  • edited July 2008
    I know that now, since this Movie thread's here, I'm gonna have to try as hard as I can too not bash that Crapfest coming next year.Did the Director even read the novel before he decided to film Journey To The Center Of The Earth?There were only men, no children, 3 of men. One was a professer, the other was his nephew, and the last was the guide.They met no dinosaurs,No floor gave out underneath them,etc.etc. And that was only the trailer.
    They're... uh... updating? it for modern... erm... audiences, yeah. Audiences.

Anyway, it looks like The Dark Knight is going to be the only movie I see this summer.
  • edited July 2008
    Ugh... that Journey To The Center Of The Earth remake will be awful. I've lost all respect for Brendan Fraser after he started lending his name to these cash-ins.
  • edited July 2008
    I'd probably see Wall-E. I've seen Get Smart and it was funny, but it wasn't my favorite movie.
  • edited July 2008
    I'd probably see Wall-E. I've seen Get Smart and it was funny, but it wasn't my favorite movie.
    I loved the part where the guy was talking to the bad guy(sorry, can't remember names) and he was saying that the building was surrounded by something, and the bad guy didn't believe him."How about Chuck Norris with a BB Gun?"
Sign in to comment in this discussion.