If you could only see one movie this summer...

13»

Comments

• edited July 2008
    You apparently haven't watched the tv series. That's a classic get smart gag :)

"Would you believe...?"
  • edited July 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    You apparently haven't watched the tv series. That's a classic get smart gag :)

"Would you believe...?"
    I want to see the series, I'm just looking for dvds of it.
  • edited July 2008
    The whole season is on dvd from time life. It's an awesome set, but it's like $250. commentary by mel brooks and buck henry though... totally worth it.

I think individual seasons are coming out, but without the extras.
  • edited July 2008
    It's only been a day, and Batman is alreadly killing our theatre's movie staff. I'm a Box Office employee, and even I was dead tired by the time my shift ended.

If you are going to be seeing Batman this week, please be kind to us minimum wage employees. Just because you're out to have the most amazing 2.5 hours of your life doesn't mean you have to make ours a living Hell.[/psa]
  • edited July 2008
    Reminds me of Jerry Seinfeld's stand up he did at the oscars
    There is an agreed upon deal between us and the movie theater people. It is understood by every single person in this room. The deal is, you rip us off on overpriced, oversized crap that we shouldn't be eating to begin with. In exchange for that, when I'm done with something, I open my hand. I'm not sticking my hand down into a dark hole, and trying to pry out three Goobers that have been soda-welded there since "The Shawshank Redemption
  • edited July 2008
    Just seen Wall•E today, great film. Loved the Presto short at the beginning too (why don't they make cartoons like that any more?).

Only part I didn't like about the film were the trailers for all horrible "me too" family CGI films just before it started. (Space Chimps? Igor? Something about a mouse who isn't scared of anything? Madagascar 2? All with hideous unlikable character design. A world away from Pixar's stuff.)
    It was also pretty sad how me and my bro were the only people in the cinema 30 seconds into the credits. Nobody else seemed to realise there was stuff happening while the names rolled (the art progressing from cave man style up to pixel art was a nice touch).

EDIT: Also, had some wacky kids on the seats behind us rambling about how Wall•E is like a Pokémon and giving a running commentary on every single thing that happened.
  • edited July 2008
    Badwolf wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, had some wacky kids on the seats behind us rambling about how Wall•E is like a Pokémon and giving a running commentary on every single thing that happened.

Mystery Jackass Theatre 3000......But I agree with the pokemon thing, just remotely.
  • edited July 2008
    Mystery Jackass Theatre 3000......But I agree with the pokemon thing, just remotely.
    Yes, well, while it is certainly not good to ruin other people's moviegoing experiences, riffing on movies is fun. The problem being that there's really no chance for most people to actually do that unless you enjoy talking to yourself or happen to be on the Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic teams.
  • edited July 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    Yes, well, while it is certainly not good to ruin other people's moviegoing experiences, riffing on movies is fun. The problem being that there's really no chance for most people to actually do that unless you enjoy talking to yourself or happen to be on the Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic teams.

My friends hate it when I do it...even in really painful films...freaking Crappy spiderwick chronicles...
  • edited July 2008
    I almost did it in Wanted, but thankfully caught myself before I said anything.

The line I almost said? "And yet another AM-TRAC train jumps the track..."
  • edited July 2008
    i go for Get Smart though i would go for Indy yet i don't feel like it..
  • edited July 2008
    I wasn't so keen on the first 2 films, not because I thought they were bad, I'm just not into Tim Burton's style, but I don't mind them and appricate them. Jack Nicholson does make and awesome Joker though. Just don't go into the Batman Forever and Batman & Robin films. Just don't.

The last film has been my fave so far so the next is going to be superb.

I liked Batman Forever.
  • edited July 2008
    I have never been so depressed as I was coming out of the Dark Knight. Don't get me wrong, it was an incredible movie, but you leave it feeling... dark, sad. Incredible film though. Saw it in IMAX, and I saw that if you are going to see the Dark Knight then you have to see it in IMAX. The casting was incredible and the story was amazingly deep and provoking. Acting was good, I don't think Ledger deserves an Oscar, a nomination is even a little too much. It was good, but not great. It was an insane ride and story, but with how much you as an audience go through, I can't call it entertainment.

I saw Wall-E last week. The lack of dialoge makes me wonder if any kid could sit through it, but my goodness what a visually stunning and wonderous film! Wall-E reminds me of the silent film greats. Like Chaplin, he approaches everything with wonder. It also bluntly slaps you over the head with it's messages of overconsumption, overpollution and gluttony, but I needed to hear those messages anyway. It got me on a treadmill I'll tell you.

Both are the picks for my summer movies. See the Dark Knight if you want to be depressed for the next week. See Wall-E if you want to be entertained.
  • edited July 2008
    Depressing? No, that wasn't a depressing ending. Bittersweet, maybe, but I wouldn't call it depressing.
    You know what had a depressing ending? Sweeney Todd. The Dark Knight was a picnic at the Hundred Acre Woods compared to that movie.
  • edited July 2008
    Not if you saw the stage play, then you saw that ending coming.
  • edited July 2008
    Manos The Hands of Fate was kinda deppresing at the end(intentionally, though), but only because I'm pretty sure the fact that the young girl was tied to a post means, well...old wierdo "The Master" has some WILD fantasies while he's asleep, I'm guessing...But, it was also deppressing the retarded housewive didn't die, and that you sat through the whole crapfest.Well, the ending was actually good, because it means you can get the hell away from the film.
  • edited July 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    Not if you saw the stage play, then you saw that ending coming.
    Yeah, but I didn't.
    Did the stage play have as much blood, or was that just because of Burton?
  • edited July 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    Sex and the City, of course. :p

(....what, am I the only girl around here or something?)

girls, we need to stick together!
    except, i'm not even looking to see that movie. however, i think i might see Mama Mia...even though i'm not a huge musical fan. i guess if i lower my expectations it'll be better. :p

i'm looking forward to seeing The Dark Knight this weekend.
    I already saw Wall-e and i thought it was freakin' adorable!!!

since you like "silent" films bigdondoo, have you seen The Triplettes of Belleville?
    now that's a really neat movie.
  • edited July 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    Yeah, but I didn't.
    Did the stage play have as much blood, or was that just because of Burton?

There was blood in the 1980 stage production that had Angela Lansberry play the part of Ms. Lovette, but it wasn't spewing like a gyser. It was a really convincing stage effect where the red dye would just oooze slowly and thick enough to be seen by the first few rows as well as stain any clothing around the neck. Naturally, the dye was washable.

Oh, and a heads up to all you movie fans. Apparently, this weekend, Disney is doing a production sneak of The Little Mermaid 3 at my theatre. Begin the moaning and groaning. :(
  • edited August 2008
    Well, at least it's animated.

Or so we think.
  • edited August 2008
    Don't know that for sure. I'm not part of the focus group; I have to give them popcorn. :rolleyes:
Sign in to comment in this discussion.