Sam and Max: Surfin' the Highway Hardcover Numbers

Comments

• edited August 2009
    2097.. Was 3 off 2100, damn. :P

Events in Mary Shelley's The Last Man take place.
    Events in the PC fighting game, One Must Fall: 2097 take place.
    Events of the futuristic racing game Wipeout 2097 take place.
    Events of Crystalis take place.
    Events in X-Kaliber 2097 take place.
    Disney's Recess has Old Rusty survive to this date.
    Events in Star Ocean 4 takes place

Probably won't order any merchendise over £18 from here again though... Damn import tax. x.x

Laughed at the box it came in though, they managed to write my name wrong on the box.
  • edited August 2009

I'm extremely proud of myself for ordering this.
  • edited August 2009
    How many people have kept theirs sealed? I ordered and received mine two months ago, but as of yet, I've no plans to tear off that shrink-wrapping. Like most folks, I'm sticking to the paperback as my reading copy...but oh, how I long to hold the open hardback in my lap!
  • edited August 2009
    Nah. When I get something I can't help but tear of the wrapping and read. Unless I bought it specially to resell later. I do however keep it well kept.
  • edited August 2009
    Rawr wrote: »
    Nah. When I get something I can't help but tear of the wrapping and read. Unless I bought it specially to resell later. I do however keep it well kept.

That's how I see it. As awesome as it is to have, it's still just a comic book which is meant to be read. I see no point in keeping it sealed unless I plan on reselling it which I don't.
  • edited August 2009
    Ditto. As soon as I get it I'm ripping off the... Did you say shrink wrap?
  • edited August 2009
    Jagger88 wrote: »
    Ditto. As soon as I get it I'm ripping off the... Did you say shrink wrap?
    :D Indeed. Does this upset you for some reason?

And you're all absolutely right, of course--it's meant to be read. I've got the paperback for that, though, and I'm just both intimidated by its beauty (not wanting to ruin it), and somehow enticed by the thought of resellage later on. :( A sad place to be in...
  • edited August 2009
    but what is the hardcover good for, if you can't open it? i mean, there's a signature in there you will never see..i also own both versions and read the softcover, but i couldn't leave the hardcover wrapped. i am not going to sell it anyway..
  • edited August 2009
    I only ordered the Hardcover, because I ran out of money!

But, I am going to buy the softcover soon, just for the sake of owning both!

By the way, what does shrink wrap look like? Thats why I ^^^^^ mentioned it above ^^^^^^^
  • edited August 2009
    wisp wrote: »
    but what is the hardcover good for, if you can't open it? i mean, there's a signature in there you will never see..i also own both versions and read the softcover, but i couldn't leave the hardcover wrapped. i am not going to sell it anyway..
    Yeah. I do have all three signed prints, though, so I hold that as my consolation...but I get closer to tearing it open with every passing moment. :p
    Jagger88 wrote: »
    By the way, what does shrink wrap look like? Thats why I ^^^^^ mentioned it above ^^^^^^^
    Hmm. My apologies. If you've ever seen a book in a store covered with tight, transparent plastic, that's what I'm talking about when I say "shrink-wrap."
  • edited August 2009
    Ohhhhhh! I always just called it plastic! Much appreciated!
  • edited August 2009
    Has anyone noticed that the URL for the list in dg10050's main post isn't working anymore. I sure hope he kept a back up.
  • edited August 2009
    Must have gone down recently, checked it a week or 2 ago and it was still working. Mind you looking at the bottom it hadn't been updated since January
  • edited August 2009
    Mine is 1444. Nice round number :)
  • edited August 2009
    I'll try to order the softcover as quick as I can, unfortunatly it will be very expensive to order the hardcover since i have to pay additional 25% tax on the ordinary price and I have to pay for delivery too. But softcover is under the tax limit so that will work :)
  • edited August 2009
    I unwrapped my hardcover, I just don't know that I want to wear it down into poor condition by reading it extensively.
  • edited August 2009
    I got number 2175!

I'm glad I was able to get a copy,. I missed out on a lot of cool limited edition merchandise since I only recently got into Sam & Max.
  • edited August 2009
    Pale Man wrote: »
    I unwrapped my hardcover, I just don't know that I want to wear it down into poor condition by reading it extensively.

Didn't Steve Purcell say (I believe it was part of an interview from the extra features on the Animated Series DVD) that "there's nothing more sad than a comic book that hasn't been loved"? :-)

Seems a bit pointless to buy a book only to store it away. Unless you're planning to resell, I guess...
  • edited August 2009
    Alright, I'm practically bursting from the excitement, so here's what's happening with me;

I ordered a hardcover bundle with the two DVDs, that shipped the same day as something else from Telltale that arrived yesterday, so it should be here in a few days. Then I ordered a softcover yesterday, and today I ordered another hardcover, the soundtrack bundle, and two case files! (I ordered the case files so maybe I could have 3 differen timecards). So now I just have to wait for them to come. Oh, and what PimPamPet said; I bought two so I could have 2 numbers, I will alternate between the two (Hey! Cut ba k on wear and tear from my reading it for 7 hrs a day!) , and the softcover for whenever I go on holiday. But, there is a chance I may sell one of the hardcovers in 10 yes time... Naaaah! All three books will be in my will, trusteth me, trusteth me! You can never put a price on somehing that is priceless, as these books are sure to be.
  • edited August 2009
    PimPamPet wrote: »
    Didn't Steve Purcell say (I believe it was part of an interview from the extra features on the Animated Series DVD) that "there's nothing more sad than a comic book that hasn't been loved"? :-)

Seems a bit pointless to buy a book only to store it away. Unless you're planning to resell, I guess...

Seems more pointless to buy an expensive hardcover with a signature and limited edition numbering, and then ruin it. I'd much rather buy the much cheaper softcover version and read that than destroy an expensive collector's item.

And I never said anything about storing it away, it will be prominently on display as soon as I find a good spot for it.
  • edited August 2009
    How does reading the book "ruin" it?
  • edited August 2009
    YES! Mine arrived today!

Signed by Steve Purcell. I didn't know you also got a card with the number printed on it. I only thought it was the insert in the book.
  • edited August 2009
    PimPamPet wrote: »
    How does reading the book "ruin" it?
    Maybe if you have heat vision...? :D

Wowee, only about 300 or so hardcovers left now. (could be even less, depending on how many are on their way to peoples' homes at the moment)
  • edited August 2009
    Less that that I think. If I recall correctly I saw someone post who got his copy from one of the Conventions, and his copy was in the 2300 region. So some of them might have been given out there.

Oh and reading the book hardly ruins it... Only if you're VERY careless.
  • edited September 2009
    Just got my copy. 2205 :)
    Would be nice if the original list could be fixed.
  • edited September 2009
    My second one came today; #2217

I need moral guidance: should I rip off the shrink wrap or should I keep it on display in its plastic tomb?
  • edited September 2009
    I've gone through this and the other thread for book numbers, and compiled a new list, since his list is MIA.

You can view it here.
  • edited September 2009
    I've gone through this and the other thread for book numbers, and compiled a new list, since his list is MIA.

You can view it here.

I feel pretty proud of myself for being on that list.
  • edited September 2009
    Recieved #2203 today. Joy :D
  • edited September 2009
    Got mine today :D

2213 :)
  • edited September 2009
    Updated the list to include yours :)
  • edited September 2009
  • edited September 2009

You can view it here.

Nice work, it's good to see the list resurrected.
  • edited September 2009
    Got my copy today too :D

No. 2253
  • edited September 2009
    n/a
  • edited September 2009
    I got 2189
  • edited September 2009
    paleman.. i love what you said up there..

this is what i believe for all COLLECTORS items... DONT OPEN THEM...
    had the SAME friggen issue on my site thebrpage.net about cellophane opening on LPs from the 80s and limited 200 edition reprints.. people get a 150$ SEALED LP and OPEN IT.. why not just BUY an open one!!! sheeeeeeeesh

if you have the option to only getting one.. get the collectors if you want to save it.. and the softback if you want to read it..
    or wait and have a friend scan it (IF YOU OWN THE THING) scans of STH can be found in pdf and comic form.. same as the lucasarts mags, that way i dont have to ruin the old things or rare stuff reading them.

some here might frown on this but if you bought 5 of these books i dont see why i cant make a pdf scanned for myself and read that at my leisure. (let me know if this violates something but as long as i dont sell it or net it.. im sure its ok)

BTW

why is it that telltale still hasnt come out and shown us their numbers... is it in fear of retaliation .. im pretty sure the fact jake has his said number and 50 are missing points toward staff owning these.. or friends at least.

would be awesome to get a complete list but i suppose its not required..

how many are left i wonder...
  • edited September 2009
    Kaldire wrote: »
    why is it that telltale still hasnt come out and shown us their numbers... is it in fear of retaliation .. im pretty sure the fact jake has his said number and 50 are missing points toward staff owning these.. or friends at least.
    Um... what?

Jake designed the book, so he should've gotten a low number. If anyone's curious, mine is #290.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2009
    Numbers 1-50 went to Steve. Most of the books in the 51-100 range are in storage for safekeeping, I think. As far as I know they did not go into circulation, although a few of us who were involved in the production got some of them.

I have 79. Apparently that book in the first post is mine. :p
  • edited September 2009
    chuck? this wasnt my point??

im saying there is a gap from 2-50 and im assuming they went to staff or friends.
    I said nothing about jake shouldnt get a low number.. how the heck did you read that into what i said..

im simply trying to account for the books, to see what order of shipments or which got sent when..
    seems some low numbered ones got sent in the middle not the start.. if you get my meaning.
    according to telltale it was due to some shipment issue but, not sure about the first 50 nor like a few after that...
    just look at the list... youll see what i mean.

EDIT: as i posted this emily answered :P

makes sense
    storage! for cons and such or personal for telltale and such.

EDIT2: and you should note this is not a COMPLAINT of any kind.. i have both a low number and a middle number CE book.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.