Silly IGN.com....

Well, I guess the forum users here aren't the only ones wildly speculating about the ACTUAL release date of SBCG4AP.....

IGN.com has listed the release date as "July 21st"....

....despite the fact that, for all we know there still has been no actual release date set.

I suppose that isn't going to stop them, however, from getting people's hopes up based on a whim that, as far as all of us here at telltale's OFFICIAL website know, this release date is not at all confirmed by anyone.

I suppose it also isn't stopping them from displaying a flash animated clock ticking down the supposed 5 days to release.

In a way, I have to find this both slightly annoying and kinda hilarious at the same time.

One would think that if there was a release date set, especially in the next 5 days, that Telltale employees themselves would have confirmed it here, before anywhere else.

It really makes you wonder how many of the superior minds that run IGN.com actually think to check this OFFICIAL site before slapping some speculative release date that may just ending up getting people's hopes up to let them down again.

I've often thought of IGN.com as a poor source for veritable information and an abysmal place for actual discussion, and their reviews are often a "what not to do" of professional, constructive, reviewing guidelines.

But just as I kinda thought it was funny that, ever since the game was delayed everyone just immediately stopped discussing the game entirely and speculating over the release date, now IGN.com is releasing a release date that may in fact, be total bunk.

SImply put, we would have heard it here first.

Either IGN.com can read Telltale or Nintendo's minds, or they purchased a time machine and saw the future, and came back to report it.....

....but most likely they are just full of it. :rolleyes:

Comments

• edited July 2008
    I suppose I could just go to google or ign but I'd like a link. :p
  • edited July 2008
    I just went on and it said December 31st...
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    That ticking clock is a bit unfortunate. Don't get me wrong, it would be extremely cool if we had an official release date! But since it's all speculation, I agree it sends the wrong impression.
  • edited July 2008
    Silly IGN, baseless speculation is for forumgoers!
  • edited July 2008
    Can someone post a link? I can't find the clock.
  • edited July 2008
    Can someone post a link? I can't find the clock.

I never saw the clock but i think it may have been removed since they have changed the release date.

http://wii.ign.com/objects/142/14236672.html

With the new, totally not fake, release dates, there will not be much wait between ep 1 and the rest of the episodes ;)
  • edited July 2008
    Yeah... I'm looking at it now, and they did, in fact, change the page to get rid of the clock and their speculation of the release date, since last night when I posted this thread.
  • ...um... lmao. It says all the dates of release are December 31st... WOW, Telltale, yur releasing all the games at the same time, I would NEEVVEEERRR have guessed!!! =P

Anyways, IGN is NOT a good source for info. I've reminded myself of that. Only good website they have is Rotten Tomatoes.
  • edited July 2008
    Well, after IGN pulled the whole "Kid Icarus Wii is coming at E3!" thing for months only to announce THE DAY BEFORE E3 that it wasn't actually going to be there, I don't give IGN much credibility.
  • edited July 2008
    Well, sometimes the companies tell news outlets (I get PR articles too) that something is totally going to be there, but then it doesn't show up. However, there is a difference between telling and hearing a rumor from some employee, who is just trying to stir up people.

See Bungie for this year's E3. Man, they were really excited. CANCEL'd! Kinda sad they weren't allowed to show it off.
  • edited July 2008
    not that i think ign.com isa good source of info either, that would mean that telltale is releaseing it on the last monday in july. Now, telltale isn't the crulest of game makers, so i wouldn't be suprised if Sbcg4ap was released on the 21st. Maybe ign thought this too.
  • edited July 2008
    not that i think ign.com isa good source of info either, that would mean that telltale is releaseing it on the last monday in july. Now, telltale isn't the crulest of game makers, so i wouldn't be suprised if Sbcg4ap was released on the 21st. Maybe ign thought this too.

Well, It's a nice thought, but in the TellTale blog they said that SBCG4AP will be playable at Comic-Con next weekend, and it's just my opinion, but I think that they wouldn't say that if it were released ahead of time.
  • edited July 2008
    It was July 15th earlier, I remember.
  • edited July 2008
    Maratanos wrote: »
    It was July 15th earlier, I remember.

I don't know what you mean with this.
  • edited July 2008
    BigNick wrote: »
    I don't know what you mean with this.

I believe he was talking about IGN's "Release Date" Before it said July 21st.
  • edited July 2008
    I believe he was talking about IGN's "Release Date" Before it said July 21st.

Oh, well, I just hope the TT guys can tell us just a little something about the game soon.
  • edited July 2008
    Oh, well, I just hope the TT guys can tell us just a little something about the game soon.

I agree!Because soon, I'll have gone mad due to lack of updates, and probably kill someone!
  • edited July 2008
    I agree!Because soon, I'll have gone mad due to lack of updates, and probably kill someone!

I'm already dying of boredom. Oh well, back to the wall.... wait, did I see it move?:eek:
  • edited July 2008
    BadStrong wrote: »
    I'm already dying of boredom. Oh well, back to the wall.... wait, did I see it move?:eek:

Can I have some free pizza? Sure thing, wall?
  • edited July 2008
    Well, now on ign.com homepage, if you look under upcoming releases for pc, guess what's on top of the list??????

SBCG4AP!

I'm hoping for a 21st release, but i can deal with a 28th release.

TT Game guys, not whinin, just putting it out there.
  • edited July 2008

I'm going crazy too. Today I saw a blanket breathe!!
    Turns out my brothers dog was under it.
  • edited July 2008
    It seems the clock is back up. For those who missed it:

http://pc.ign.com/objects/142/14246354.html
  • edited July 2008
    Yay!Now I know when SBCG4AP is
    not
    out!
  • edited July 2008
    Shmeh wrote: »
    It seems the clock is back up. For those who missed it:

http://pc.ign.com/objects/142/14246354.html

Lol! Someone on IGN really wants the game to be released on July 21.
  • edited July 2008
    Lol! Someone on IGN really wants the game to be released on July 21.

ya rly....

hope the tt guys give ign what they want.......
  • edited July 2008
    Besides, IGN is Barley informative, and also, even though the rating is out, they never putted up the T for Teen (Which is still not a very good rating for this game to me).
  • edited July 2008
    SBRules wrote: »
    Besides, IGN is Barley informative, and also, even though the rating is out, they never putted up the T for Teen (Which is still not a very good rating for this game to me).

y not?
  • edited July 2008
    y not?
    Strong Bad:Okay ESRB, this isn't friken year 2000, we have a E 10, my game should be THAT, not T.
    j/k, but i don't like it, like i said, we have a E 10 rating.
  • edited July 2008
    Strong Bad:Okay ESRB, this isn't friken year 2000, we have a E 10, my game should be THAT, not T.
    j/k, but i don't like it, like i said, we have a E 10 rating.
    E10+ does not cover repeated usages of the word 'crap' and humor which mentions "bologna shaped like there's a bit taken out of it."
  • edited July 2008
    According to IGN, it's out!!!!OMGZ!!!SO AWSUMZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SARCASM!!!!!!!!!11
  • edited July 2008
    I guess you beat me to it.

I was about to post with "So, how are you all enjoying the game so far?"

But....... Like I said, you beat me to it. :P

IGN = Fail.
  • edited July 2008
    I just have to say something to the creator(Oxygen) of the pirate game,**** YOU!I'm gonna go protest about how Nintendo should make more room in the updates for SBCG4AP!
  • GaryGary Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    While I can't speak on IGN's behalf, since you know... I don't work for them, these types of sites do their best (or something like that) to put somewhat reasonable release dates for games. They aren't always given a date when the games are entered into their systems, so they have to fill in the blanks with a bit of guesswork.
  • edited July 2008

"Whoa! Barley Informative? That sounds like some sort of... grain-based super-spy! Barley Informative in: The Wheat of Deception."

[/strongbad]
  • edited July 2008
    "Whoa! Barley Informative? That sounds like some sort of... grain-based super-spy! Barley Informative in: The Wheat of Deception."

[/strongbad]

pwnied
  • edited July 2008
    I just have to say something to the creator(Oxygen) of the pirate game,**** YOU!I'm gonna go protest about how Nintendo should make more room in the updates for SBCG4AP!

Actually, that pirate game got pushed up to the 21st, when Plättchen Twist 'n' Paint was supposed to be released. On top of that, this Wikipedia list now lists Plättchen as being released sometime in 2008 rather than having a specific released date. There's still hope for a July release yet!
  • edited July 2008
    BiggerJ wrote: »
    Actually, that pirate game got pushed up to the 21st, when Plättchen Twist 'n' Paint was supposed to be released. On top of that, this Wikipedia list now lists Plättchen as being released sometime in 2008 rather than having a specific released date. There's still hope for a July release yet!

Yeah, but if life's still going with screwing me over, this will be worse than a delayed game.There will be a twist, and it will be a quick sucker punch to where it would hurt most.
  • edited July 2008
    Wow, IGN has had several hours to figure out they're wrong, but still say SBCG4AP's out.So you guy's loving this game?Just look at it's beautiful title screen!
  • edited July 2008
    It's totally awesome!
  • edited July 2008
    Gary wrote: »
    While I can't speak on IGN's behalf, since you know... I don't work for them, these types of sites do their best (or something like that) to put somewhat reasonable release dates for games. They aren't always given a date when the games are entered into their systems, so they have to fill in the blanks with a bit of guesswork.

Usually game sites are constructed so that they can put TBA as the release date. As the release date of SBCG4AP has yet to be announced, that would be the expected date for the game on a respectable site. IGN is basically guessing the release date, and that doesn't help anyone. At the same time, when they guess wrong, it hurts their credibility.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.