How did you first find out about HSR?

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Not until SBCG4AP? tsst tsst tsst.:rolleyes:
  • edited July 2008
    My first sbemail was 57 which I saw back in 2003, I think. I remember showing it to my friends and laughing due to how funny it was. I was hooked from then on!
  • edited July 2008
    I've actually forgotten. When sbcg4ap was announced I thought I was new to HSR and went to check it out, but then something felt familiar making me think I've seen a few tandy era sbemails years ago. I'm hooked this time though.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    Fooey wrote: »
    First I heard of it was Telltale's announcement they were doing the games, so I'm hoping the games don't require much in the way of background knowledge of the comics to get the humor.

Nah, they don't. Although I knew about the site thanks to Peasant's Quest, I didn't really start following it until recently, but I still think the games are hilarious. :D (And I don't feel like I'm missing anything, even though there are undoubtedly references that go over my head.)
  • edited July 2008
    The site *is* free. You don't have to pay any money to catch up, at all.

Just time.

Which I suppose is in short supply for everybody. =p
  • edited July 2008
    I first heard about Homestar back in 2002 when I discovered the wonderful world of Flash toons.
    Back when Wildbrain had a site full of some great animation including Joe Paradise episodes.
  • edited July 2008
    I found out in 2000 from a friend and looked for new stuff every day i could since.
    :D
  • edited July 2008
    It's a funny story. It all started in 2003.

My brother Adam has always been the coolest and one time I went into his room to ask him something and he was watching H*R. so I joined him and we watched TGS, puppet stuff and fwqghads or whatever. Then he left back to college the next morning and I forgot to ask him :(. I went to school that day, with the loss that I may never find that website again but at recess some kid was singing fwqgahds!!! we became freinds and started our own H*R fanclub! but I sadly forgot the kid's name. And that's the story of how I found out about H*R.
  • edited July 2008
    I was introduced to the site when the Coach Z Jorb Well Done cartoon was first put up. My first impression was... a little negative to be honest. On the first watch I fell under the impression that Homestar was there purely to make fun of, uhm, those with downs syndrome, and that the Coach Z character was making fun of Canadian accents (yes I am a Canuck, but I speak with a normal accent :p). After watching a few more episodes I slowly enjoyed it more and more, but stopped visiting because I thought they'd stopped updating (obviously during one of their slow seasons), but then a couple years later people were talking about Teen Girl Squad comics I hadn't seen, so since then I've been visiting the site regularly and laughing uproariously.
  • edited July 2008
    A friend of mine and her sister watch it and are huge Teen Girl Squad fans. My friend knew I would like it and I decided to eventually go to the site. My first cartoon really wasn't the best one to see first. It was a Halloween one and it still isn't one of my favorite cartoons. Somehow, though, I kept with it and I think I've seen all the cartoons on the site now!

Here it is:
    http://www.homestarrunner.com/ween04.html

As you can see, it really wouldn't make much sense without a background history...except for maybe the whole Halloween thing.
  • edited July 2008
    in 2005 I was online (on you tube) and I saw it on the top
    part (where it says"Videos being watched now")I don't
    usually watch random videos but this one caught my eye
  • edited July 2008
    My dumb, old, dumb, studid, dumb, fat , dumb, ugly, dumb, dumb friend Phil introduced me to it near rock anthom. Thank you Phil:)
  • edited July 2008
    Strong Max wrote: »
    My dumb, old, dumb, studid, dumb, fat , dumb, ugly, dumb, dumb friend Phil introduced me to it near rock anthom. Thank you Phil:)

wow you guys must be best of friends
  • edited July 2008
    When SBCG4AP was announced. I've watched all the sbemails now (because that was a suggested starting point), and a few of the toons, I have been watching new ones when they come out. How had I not heard of this?
  • edited July 2008
    I'm pretty sure that my sister showed it to me in like 2002 or something and i didn't really think it was that funny (except for the teen girl squads) but I came back to it like a year ago and have been following ever since. BUT WHEN IS SBCG4AP FRICKIN' COMING OUT?!:mad:
  • edited July 2008
    It was back in 2005. My friends kept telling me about Homestar Runner. I never went on it because I kept forgetting. So, one day, I decide to go on, and I was looking through the toons, and clicked "Bug in Mouth Disease", which remains my favorite cartoon there up to today. :)
  • edited July 2008
    I explain in full detail on my HRWiki page, and I will include a link so I can show it off =P.

Behold
  • edited July 2008
    I remember that it was shortly after the email with Strong Bad trying to figure out which of the two sisters that emailed him he was gonna make out with.

I actually went on a trip to meet up with a group of freinds I met on an internet forum that they ran. So, we hung out and one of the guys wanted to show us this funny little website called Homestar Runner.com.

me and my very-soon-after best freind met for the first time, and we both laughed for a long time after watching the sbmails and the rest of the website and loving it.

We bonded over many things, but one of the main ones was H*R, of which we are both fans of, and still are. We visit each other often, and have been friends since around 2001-2002. One of our constant hobbies is talking about Homestar Runner and throwing it's MANY quotable lines around like crazy, ever since.
  • edited July 2008
    I first saw when the cartoon "Strongbad Gameways" was released.
  • edited July 2008
    A friend showed me a while back, I thought it was funny but never really got into it. My History teacher likes Strongbad though lol. There's something with teachers and HSR
  • edited July 2008
    I was introduced to Strong Bad through my husband shortly after we were married in 2004. He would always go around talking in a "Strong Bad-like" voice whenever he would hang out with his brothers....Anywho, he showed me the website and I watched the "first time here?" video. About a week later he caught me watching the e-mails...I had to catch up...I had been sitting there for about 3 hours solid!

Now I am the addict and he hardly visits the site anymore....sad really.;)
  • edited July 2008
    I agree teachers(I am one) and H*R go great together!!! I esp. like the technology class e-mail
  • edited July 2008
    It's been so long... I can barely remember lol. I believe the first time I heard it I was talking to by brother (or maybe a friend) about internet and I complained that every flash site is ridiculously obscene (I'm not a moral type, just get tired of hearing the F-Word all the time) and he suggested Homestar. I went on and watched the first email, and to be honest I didn't really find it too funny. Then sometime later I was bored on the internet and decided to go back on, and after that I was hooked.
  • edited July 2008
    Well a few years ago I was searching on the internet for something to do then I found a link to japanese cartoon and before I knew it I was watching all of them(and even tried to e-mail him sometimes).
  • edited July 2008
    My story is slightly less orthodox. Back in '05, I was taking a Java course in High School, and we were working on learning strings and inputs. And as it turns out, my teacher was a big Homestar fan, and used the original Thy Dungeonman to explain it to us by porting it to Java. After that, I decided to check out the rest of the site, and I was hooked from then on.
  • edited July 2008
    Hmm... I was in high school when a friend showed me the site, so it must have been sometime around 2000. I didn't really follow it seriously until we started doing the game though.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    I remember that it was shortly after the email with Strong Bad trying to figure out which of the two sisters that emailed him he was gonna make out with.

Awesome amazing fact: Doug (tabacco), one of our web programmers, used to work with Ali's sister.
  • edited July 2008
    It's true!
  • edited July 2008
    My best friend's older brother showed me "Everybody to the Limit" when I was in 3rd grade in 2003.
  • edited July 2008
    I'd have to think, it was a while ago... I first saw the SB Emails waaaaaay back in the Tandy Era with one of my friends, but never really took note of the site. I got hooked on by either googling "Flash Cartoon" or from my brother. And this happend 3-4 years ago. And then the craze started... everyone in my grade 4, 5, and 6 classes has seen at least one 'toon! THAT'S THE CRA- *Ziggie boom'd!*
  • edited July 2008
    I had received an iPod for Christmas. Soon I ran out of money for iTunes, and discovered that podcasts were free. At the time Strong Bad Emails was the #1 most downloaded podcast. After watching those I checked the website, and entered the wonderful world of Homestar Runner!
  • edited July 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Awesome amazing fact: Doug (tabacco), one of our web programmers, used to work with Ali's sister.

you mean Alihandra? Ahhh what could have been..
  • edited July 2008
    you mean Alihandra? Ahhh what could have been..

http://www.hrwiki.org/index.php/Sisters
  • edited August 2008
    I found out when one day, in school my friend was singing Trogdor. My first email and personal favorite is coloring

"Coloring! Outside the lines"
  • truth be told, I got into HR stuff when my good friend in Montana (Lyd) and I were bored one day.

Then she persuaded me to email this "Cool Dude, who can type with Boxing Gloves on!"

I was like "What the Hell?" when she told me about Strong Bad. I thought she was lying, but I decided to send an email about the Envirorment (Lyd told me SB wasn't very Enviormentally Concious, and responded to fan mail. [sp?])

So He took my idea and we typed it up and clicked "Send"

I forgot about SB and everything, including the email, until a week or so later, when Lyd called screaming "Oh My god! Strong bad made an email toon!!! It's ours!!! YAY!"
    She was so happy, and I'm like... OK? So I looked at the Toon, and I somehow was immersed with all the... Homestar goodness? So yeah, Now that I know Strong Bad thinks I'm a girl, It makes me feel a LOT better. -_-

watch the stupid email: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail186.html
  • edited August 2008
    In 2002 for an art project, I had to find a cartoon character that I liked and make a Mosaic of it. My twin brother was doing homestar, so I went onto the site and watched it's cartoons for about an hour and ended up making a mosaic of the cheat
  • edited August 2008
    A coworker initially introduced me to H*R through Teen Girl Squad. I didn't quite know what to make of it, but I thought it was funny, so I investigated the rest of the site.

Then, some time later, my wife and I were hanging out with her best friend and her husband. I mentioned this great site Homestarrunner.com and said they had to check it out. Apparently, the best friend has been a The Cheat-freak for years!

So yeah. That's my story.
  • edited August 2008
    I'd never heard of it before you announced the game. And I just now found out what it's based on, never checked before. I wish I'd known about that site, would probably be more excited about the game then.
  • edited August 2008
    truth be told, I got into HR stuff when my good friend in Montana (Lyd) and I were bored one day.

Then she persuaded me to email this "Cool Dude, who can type with Boxing Gloves on!"

I was like "What the Hell?" when she told me about Strong Bad. I thought she was lying, but I decided to send an email about the Envirorment (Lyd told me SB wasn't very Enviormentally Concious, and responded to fan mail. [sp?])

So He took my idea and we typed it up and clicked "Send"

I forgot about SB and everything, including the email, until a week or so later, when Lyd called screaming "Oh My god! Strong bad made an email toon!!! It's ours!!! YAY!"
    She was so happy, and I'm like... OK? So I looked at the Toon, and I somehow was immersed with all the... Homestar goodness? So yeah, Now that I know Strong Bad thinks I'm a girl, It makes me feel a LOT better. -_-

watch the stupid email: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail186.html
    AGH So lucky. Congratulations.
  • edited August 2008
    Armakuni wrote: »
    I'd never heard of it before you announced the game. And I just now found out what it's based on, never checked before. I wish I'd known about that site, would probably be more excited about the game then.

Go to the site. Now. I recommend the characters page first.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.