The real reason for the delay...

MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
We at Telltale know that you guys are very excited and eager for SBCG4AP to release, and so are we, but your anger with Nintendo and Telltale is misplaced. In fact, the sole reason for the delay lies in the hands of our partners at Videlectrix.

First they delayed the game because they found that some of our coders were not using green text. Apparently they expect all computer code to use green text and mistook our code for a Word document (Which they weren't able to open).

After that debacle, they demanded that we give them an accurate pixel count before we could release the game. We didn't know what that meant! Videlectrix told us that they wanted to put the number of pixels being used on the box as a marketing device (Ex. Now featuring 100 pixels!). When we informed them that this was a downloadable game and there was no box, well they really let the chickens crow!

In an effort to get things back on track we, have sent them an old NES cartridge and let them know that if they blow on it enough, it will play the demo of the game on their "Fun Machine" That seems to have made them happy.

So hang in there guys. We are working hard to get this game past the Videlectrix approval board and into your hands (Or hard drives... or whatever!). And remember, if you need to blame somebody, blame Videlectrix!

Comments

• edited August 2008
    Aye... Thankee much for releasing this information.

I am now shunning Homestarrunner.com until I get the game.
  • edited August 2008
    If those guys are members here, they will explode with this update. It will break their hearts to know that the cartridge is a fake. Oh, and the whole "delay is your fault" might trigger something as well.

Edit: What I am about to say might be sad. I just went to Videlectrix.com and they have a link to Telltale's website on the main page. They asked us not to forget them, that they actually helped, but they got the name wrong...
  • edited August 2008
    Well, don't worry. Videlectrix can be cranky and difficult to please, but I know it's because they simply have a passion for good graphics. Once they're happy with the game, I know it'll be perfect!
  • edited August 2008
    You're kinda brave, making this topic.
  • edited August 2008
    I tried to make another account, "Videlectrix", but I couldn't, because the mandatory eye exam has gone crazy or something.so, pretend my account name is Videlectrix for this post, okay?
    We are new to these so called "forums", but WHAT?!?!The cartridge is fake?No wonder our leaf blower didn't work!And why does this "website" not have green text?What kind of new-fangled crap is this?!And how are people gonna buy the game with no box, or pixel count?!?!?No one wants pixel-less ether for a game!"Internet"?We looked all through the net catalogue, and all we found were hair, butterfly and fishing nets!Refusing our help is a horrible mistake on your part!
  • edited August 2008
    cute.
  • edited August 2008
    Will your game have vectors? Surely this also came up from Videlectrix.
  • edited August 2008
    *sigh* now telltale is making a joke out of it... how cute

I could ramble for hours, But i cannot even begin to convey just how much of a mistake was made in starting this thread....

but i will lower myself to say, Someone ****ed up big time
  • edited August 2008
    Don't be so uptight, it's funny :D
  • edited August 2008
    This is a question I was asking about a week ago, and when I saw this thread I was really looking forward to getting some straight answers. Apparently, I was hoping for too much. It was a mistake to make this thread.

As Captain Hook would say "Bad Form!" :(
  • edited August 2008
    I tried to make another account, "Videlectrix", but I couldn't, because the mandatory eye exam has gone crazy or something.so, pretend my account name is Videlectrix for this post, okay?
    WHAT?!?!The cartridge is fake?No wonder our leaf blower didn't work!And why does this "website" not have green text?What kind of new-fangled crap is this?!And how are people gonna buy the game with no box, or pixel count?!?!?No one wants pixel-less ether for a game!"Internet"?We looked all through the net catalogue, and all we found were hair, butterfly and fishing nets!Refusing our help is a horrible mistake on your part!

I don't think Videlectrix knows forums exist. Or for that matter, the internet?
  • edited August 2008
    Sheesh. It's a video game. What's more, it's a video game about a humorous comic. If you can't have a sense of humor about it, real life must be really tough to cope with.
  • edited August 2008
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    In an effort to get things back on track we, have sent them an old NES cartridge and let them know that if they blow on it enough, it will play the demo of the game on their "Fun Machine" That seems to have made them happy.

Ignoring the possible connotation with the word 'Fun Machine', is this an example of unscrupulous business practice?
  • edited August 2008
    DARN YOU Videlectrix!
  • edited August 2008
    bigdondoo wrote: »
    This is a question I was asking about a week ago, and when I saw this thread I was really looking forward to getting some straight answers. Apparently, I was hoping for too much. It was a mistake to make this thread.

What fantasy reality do you live in where everyone on the internet believes in perfect etiquette and highbrow humor derived from wit and not jokes? I can understand your hate for "GenRamSec", but this was started by a TTG crew-member to make us all laugh and to relieve some tension about the release date. Just to clarify it for you, the first episode is complete and waiting for final approval from Nintendo (and Videlectrix if they stop being distracted by the cartridge. Don't think they can't use forums, they have e-mail).
  • edited August 2008

Didn't they already say,about 90 times now, that there were last minute bugs that needed to be fixed, and now it just has to go through the Nintendo approval process. I could've swore I read that response a bunch of times.
  • edited August 2008
    I don't think Videlectrix knows forums exist. Or for that matter, the internet?

Well, they have a site, so they know about the internet...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    Zootch wrote: »
    Ignoring the possible connotation with the word 'Fun Machine', is this an example of unscrupulous business practice?

Given that Mark was talking about these guys, and this is a FunMachine, I don't think so.
  • edited August 2008
    InfamousDS wrote: »
    ...I can understand your hate for "GenRamSec", but this was started by a TTG crew-member to make us all laugh and to relieve some tension about the release date...

The fact that this was started by a TTG crew member is what makes it bad form. If this had been speclation by some random member of the forum, it would have been fine, even funny.

But when you see the thread name, and then see it's done by a member of the TellTale Games crew, then you expect it to actually contain something of note or value.

Instead of relieving tention in can in fact create more, because from my point of view, there are people at TTG who consider this delay a joke.
    edited August 2008
    Instead of relieving tention in can in fact create more, because from my point of view, there are people at TTG who consider this delay a joke.

It would be hard for any of us at TTG, after slaving our butts off on the game for months, and then for an additional bonus month, to consider its delayed release a joke. Fortunately, even though it's a sucky situation, we're able to see some humor in it. There's no need to get offended for the sake of being offended. All most any of us can do now is sit back and enjoy the wait as best as we can. :)
  • edited August 2008
    Yeah, it's just finding humor in a bad situation.Nothing to be angry about.
  • edited August 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    ...All most any of us can do now is sit back and enjoy the wait as best as we can. :)

Completely agreed. I just don't think the situation needs to have any more attention drawn to itself.
  • edited August 2008
    Well, they have a site, so they know about the internet...

The whole site may be a computer error? ? Although I admit, it does have good graphics...
  • edited August 2008
    We at Telltale know that you guys are very excited and eager for SBCG4AP to release, and so are we, but your anger with Nintendo and Telltale is misplaced. In fact, the sole reason for the delay lies in the hands of our partners at Videlectrix.

First they delayed the game because they found that some of our coders were not using green text. Apparently they expect all computer code to use green text and mistook our code for a Word document (Which they weren't able to open).

After that debacle, they demanded that we give them an accurate pixel count before we could release the game. We didn't know what that meant! Videlectrix told us that they wanted to put the number of pixels being used on the box as a marketing device (Ex. Now featuring 100 pixels!). When we informed them that this was a downloadable game and there was no box, well they really let the chickens crow!

So hang in there guys. We are working hard to get this game past the Videlectrix approval board and into your hands (Or hard drives... or whatever!). And remember, if you need to blame somebody, blame Videlectrix!

On many CGA monitors, you can get green (or amber) text by shifting a little switch at the front of the monitor to the right. That might be what they wanted you to do. That said, I hope this game will be supporting the CGA's composite mode. And... Word? Really?! That's like WordPerfect without the printer drivers, or video drivers, or anything, right? :D Well, I guess it serves them right. Nobody uses those exotic MS formats anyway. Tell them to get a real word processor. WordStar or WordPerfect should both be able to open those coding-style documents as MS-DOS text.

Given that the game is going to be 3D, are you sure they were talking about pixels and not voxels? Voxels sound much more likely. The game sounds like it will need a lot of base memory, and probably a math coprocessor. Are you guys using overlays?

Also, who said anything about hard drives? For the IBM compatible version, I want to be able to play from cost effective diskettes and don't mind swapping.

Also, you mentioned a NES cartridge. Are the episodes going to be done like the downloadable content in Glider?
  • edited August 2008
    Completely agreed. I just don't think the situation needs to have any more attention drawn to itself.

Fair enough. You're welcome to stop reading this thread. Otherwise, let those who want to enjoy it.
  • edited August 2008
    The only thing that gets on my nerves is that if this game wasn't coming out for WiiWare, we would all have it by now...
    edited August 2008
    It wouldn't be much sooner. We dumped most of the team onto getting the Wii release out the door to certification, and then once that was done, everyone rolled back over to integrate any changes made back into the PC version, bringing the PC build/install process back up to date with the changes made to accomodate the new Wii stuff, etc. It's not like a pristine PC copy has been sitting languishing on our hard drives for months here.
  • edited August 2008
    It's no joke, Those Videlectrix people are unreasonable! Their Tandy Candy is sandy, Andy.
    They are praising the Nintendolectrix for their Best graphics of all time on this current gen system. They are laughing over MS and Sony trying to make a game like a movie and NOT a game. 4 bit games are the FUTURE! (AND the past) save Photorealizmz for the people with good eyesurgeons. If you try to see too much at one time, your head a splode.
  • edited August 2008
    The fact that this was started by a TTG crew member is what makes it bad form. If this had been speclation by some random member of the forum, it would have been fine, even funny.

But when you see the thread name, and then see it's done by a member of the TellTale Games crew, then you expect it to actually contain something of note or value.

...Seriously? We *are* talking about a slight game delay and not the Holocaust, right?

What, do you think someone at TT or Ninty is holding back the release for a laugh? Call me crazy, but I think they *like* money.
  • edited August 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    ...Seriously? We *are* talking about a slight game delay and not the Holocaust, right?

What, do you think someone at TT or Ninty is holding back the release for a laugh? Call me crazy, but I think they *like* money.

I told bigdondoo he lacked a sense of humor because he made a link to this thread as an example of useless threads that existed despite "General Ramblings Section"'s existence, even though since I started it the amount of random outbursts has decreased in the board. I do not claim to have stopped all the pointless ones, but that thread has helped with the overall amount.
  • edited August 2008
    well i guess deep inside we all know that this game will come out when it comes out, but we just want to know why it was delayed, thats our opinion if you guys don't like that just keep it inside.

PS sorry if i sound like a jerk i don't mean to...
  • edited August 2008
    blah blah blah....

Seriously. Lighten up.

There's no "bad form" here. Well, besides the members that still keep whining about this and that.

Actually, anything to put all of the whining from people off-balance is pretty hilarious and telltale shows they have a sense of humor with this thread. Unlike certain people replying who obviously don't have one in the slightest.

Personally I commend Telltale for it. In fact, to me it even kind of has a bit of underlaying sarcasm about the sheer stupidity of all of this release date whining, anyway. AND it's funny.

Anyone who doesn't find this funny and is offended by it, are in all honesty, the people the joke, I think, is directed at. The only reason there's any negative reaction to this thread is out of embarrassment that Telltale has pretty much made light of all of the whiners. As they should. Because it is out of hand and it IS rather stupid and it IS rather funny.

I think that's a pretty good cue for the people that can't stop whining to just be quiet. But no. Not only do some people have no sense of humor, they apparently can't take a hint, either.
  • edited August 2008
    Please please please don't let this be a coded message for "Telltale got mad at the chapman bros or vice versa and now were arguing constantly so it probably won't ever be made".:(
  • edited August 2008
    It's a joke.Not code for "Be prepared for the worst.
  • edited August 2008

Wow, publicly blaming and bringing down an important business partner, look at the cajones on this guy! Hope you enjoyed working in Free Country, Mark.

Also, the Fun Machine???? I thought for sure you were making this for the Fun Machine 64! :( Looks like I won't be getting this game after all...
  • edited August 2008
    hello everyone they do have the story of the second sb its about how the king of town puts taxes on email and of course sb tries to stop it(by the by the "Fun machine" is a game system strong bad has.
  • edited August 2008
    MoFaJo wrote: »
    hello everyone they do have the story of the second sb its about how the king of town puts taxes on email and of course sb tries to stop it(by the by the "Fun machine" is a game system strong bad has.

We know, there was a whole thread about it.
  • edited August 2008
    It is a joke. If this annoys you, you probably shouldn't be here in the forum for a humor- oriented game made by a company that mostly makes humorous games. Just saying.
  • edited August 2008
    This is clearly a cunning ruse as cunning as it is rusing. It really IS videlectrix! The worst part is that it only employs people who are red-green colour blind, so when they see green text as red, they refuse to read it putting it down to a hallucination and therefore not important enough to bother with.
  • edited August 2008
    Umm, which company are you talking about?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.