Why didn't Kenny help me?

edited February 2014 in The Walking Dead

So in season 1, when there is the "Who comes with you" scene. I ended up with Christa, Omid, and Ben to come with me, i'm still confused on why Kenny didn't come.

I backed him up on the Larry case, i fed his son, and him when I only had 4 food. Then later on I fed Duck food that i found on the train (WHILE HE WAS DYING!!)

The only reason he could have to not come with me was that I fought him on the train, does that really make that big of an impact?

Comments

• Did you shoot Duck ? Did you save shawn or duck at farm ? Did you defend his son against larry's accusations ? Did you drop ben ?

• I did shoot Duck, I saved shawn(Maybe that's why) I did defend his son against Larry, and I did not drop Ben.

vivec posted: »

Did you shoot Duck ? Did you save shawn or duck at farm ? Did you defend his son against larry's accusations ? Did you drop ben ?

• edited November 2014

I deleted this comment.

I did shoot Duck, I saved shawn(Maybe that's why) I did defend his son against Larry, and I did not drop Ben.

• He will go with you if you say to him that Clementine is your family now. Even if you and Kenny had your odd disagreements here and there. I was 50/50 with him for the most part, I was supportive of Katjaa and Duck always though. But I ended up having a strained friendship with him after the meat locker affair. And most of the time from Episode 3 onwards I wasn't directly supporting him anymore (except for when I shot Duck and killed the kid up in the attic).

Kenny will not go with you if you antagonised him most of the game. I know that's not what you done though, just pointing it out.

• Even if you save Shawn instead of Duck, just choosing his side on the Larry case garantees he comes with you usually, I don't really understand how it happened.
    In my 1st playthrough I saved Duck, tried to save Larry, fed his son, shoot Duck and he still came with me (had to tell that Clem was family though).

Are you sure you didn't just load another savegame where you acted differently or something ? Because it seems pretty weird to me, I'd say you should've gotten the bro speech with those actions.

• You fought him on the train? If you want his help, you must be Kenny's bitch all the time.

• yes, i'm positive i din't load another save, because i didn't even start a second play for at least a couple months after the finish of S1. (I started the game once the disc came out)

Byakuren posted: »

Even if you save Shawn instead of Duck, just choosing his side on the Larry case garantees he comes with you usually, I don't really understan

• edited February 2014

All decisions you make with Kenny around affect how much he likes you, including stuff like deciding to take the food or not from the station wagon, or mercy killing or leaving the girl at the start o Episode 3. You have to side with him A LOT if you want him to come with you automatically. But not all the time. It's possible to save Ben and still get his bro-speech, or even try to save LARRY and still get it. The truth is that Kenny really isn't the best person around after the events of Episodes 2 and 3, though you can tell him that Clem is your family and he will always come with you if you say that, provided you haven't completely neglected Duck and Katjaa earlier in the game.

In my main save, I didn't take the food, shot the woman at the beginning of 3, and had him kill the kid in the attic. I agreed with him on everything else, and got his bro speech. You CAN go against him on a few occasions, but for huge things (like Larry) it's better to be on his side if you want to get his bro speech.

• Because Ken is an asshole if you are not totally on his side. I LOVED him in the first episode but later I realised that he is not an ideal one (and that's good). I can even understand his not-helping Lee (and this lovely face) but not that he doesn't try to rescue Clem :[

• If you don't drop Ben and tell him that Clementine's your family, I thin he'll come with you, but I don't know if you save Shawn if this applies.

I did shoot Duck, I saved shawn(Maybe that's why) I did defend his son against Larry, and I did not drop Ben.

• I really like Kenny but he seemed to be an asshole honestly. I always backed him up from what I saw, but I helped ben and he didn't come with me. When I went back and replayed I dropped Ben, and Kenny CAME with me. Conclusion: Kenny's and asshole

• GUYS WTF I DIDNT DROP BEN AND KENNY STILL CAME WITH ME I WANT TO KNOW HOW CAN I MAKE SO THAT ONLY KENNY COMES WITH ME LOL SRY FOR CAPS MY KEYBARD IS STUCKE

I deleted this comment.

• I didn't drop Ben and Kenny still automatically came with me with the bro speech and all (no "clem is family" choice), He still offered a little resistance regarding Ben coming with us but not as much as he did in most playthroughs I saw.

I really like Kenny but he seemed to be an asshole honestly. I always backed him up from what I saw, but I helped ben and he didn't come with me. When I went back and replayed I dropped Ben, and Kenny CAME with me. Conclusion: Kenny's and asshole

• Kenny gave me the ultimate bro speech and came with me ;)

I fought him on the train, so it's not that. Also I didn't drop Ben, so it's not that.

• I think having kenny shoot the kid in the attic is being on his side/helping him..........I dunno, just saying.

But yeah, like you said, a few buddy buddy statement agreements might indicate trying to do something, but the real impactful/important decisions are the live or death ones like the larry decision.

In fact, I think another indication of what exactly went wrong with Lee and Kenny would be what Kenny talks about at the attic in episode 5. And if nothing was wrong then he'll instead talk about them killing Larry.

Rock114 posted: »

All decisions you make with Kenny around affect how much he likes you, including stuff like deciding to take the food or not from the station

• I always thought it counted against him, even though it said I helped Kenny. He acts pretty much the same afterward no matter what you do, so I never really picked up on how he felt about me having him do it.

HERO_1000 posted: »

I think having kenny shoot the kid in the attic is being on his side/helping him..........I dunno, just saying. But yeah, like you said, a

• It applies. I saved Shawn in EP1,and I chosed the "Clementine is my family" option,and he comed with me.

hihitwd posted: »

If you don't drop Ben and tell him that Clementine's your family, I thin he'll come with you, but I don't know if you save Shawn if this applies.

• Excellent, young seeker of truth...

Keep walking that path and someday, you will achieve infinite wisdom.

I really like Kenny but he seemed to be an asshole honestly. I always backed him up from what I saw, but I helped ben and he didn't come with me. When I went back and replayed I dropped Ben, and Kenny CAME with me. Conclusion: Kenny's and asshole

• edited February 2014

Save Duck: I did

Defend Duck: I did

Feed Duck: I did

Support Kenny: Not always

Leave Lilly: I didn't

Not fight Kenny: I did

Kill Duck: I didn't

Drop Ben: I didn't

He didn't come with me.

Conclusion: He's a friend when you're his bitch, but he's a selfish dick when you decide for yourself.

I don't have to explain this any further.

• Cry was far from his bitch(disagreed with kenny lot more than you) and kenny came with him, your argument is invalid.

Save Duck: I did Defend Duck: I did Feed Duck: I did Support Kenny: Not always Leave Lilly: I didn't Not fight Kenny: I did

• Butt-headButt-head Banned
    edited February 2014

Redone. Was too disgusting.

Alt text

• What about Larry?

Also, you made him shoot Duck. That counts against you, because, well, you're making him kill his own son.

Save Duck: I did Defend Duck: I did Feed Duck: I did Support Kenny: Not always Leave Lilly: I didn't Not fight Kenny: I did

• Absolutely disgusting.

Butt-head posted: »

• There's a pretty specific path to get Kenny to follow you.

Save Duck over Shawn

Save Duck against Larry (Don't say Reason with Him or the game will glitch and act like you helped Larry.)

Feed Duck and Clementine (I don't think feeding Kenny is necessary, not feeding Clementine and Duck is worse then not feeding Duck.)

Kill Larry.

Don't kill Andy. (I did everything but this and he didn't come with me. Brutal murder makes him dislike you.)

Don't kill the woman in Episode 3

Tell the truth about your past.

Leave Lilly behind. (Not necessary but it helps.)

Try to find food and water for Duck while he's dying.

Talk Kenny down and be supportive. (You can tell you're on the right track by how easily you talk him down. There's plenty of things you can say when you're friends that he'll punch you for if you're not.)

Kill Duck yourself. (DO NOT LET KENNY DO IT HIMSELF. BIG MISTAKE.)

Tell Kenny to kill the boy in attic. (This helps him get over Duck's death.)

You can do whatever you want regarding Ben but be on Kenny's side in the arguments. (If Ben lives and Kenny's your friend then there will be dialogue change too. It's interesting to see.)

Some of these are more useful then others but I honestly think Kenny's help is a random chance. I saw an LP where someone helped Larry and Kenny still came with him without prompt. I also saw someone do all that and Kenny told them to fuck off. It's very weird and kinda up to chance.

• I think saving Duck over Shawn and siding with Kenny in the pharmacy are the two most important choices in getting Kenny to help you at the end. Fail to do one of them, and you have to bring up family to get him to come with you. Fail to do both, and I think he might refuse to help even if you bring up your family.

For a more character-based answer, Kenny doesn't come with you because he thinks that a few past disagreements with someone makes it okay for him to sit idly by as a creepy lunatic holds a small girl captive.

• You don't have to drop Ben. I didn't, I just happened to agree with him in conversations and the meatlocker throughout the whole game. (he always seemed like the most reasonable person to me). I fed the kids, and him (though you don't have to feed him for his loyalty, just Duck and Clem). He went with Lee without Lee needing to say anything. 'Lee, I'm with you. What kind of a friend would I be if I didn't?' Or something to that extent.

vivec posted: »

Did you shoot Duck ? Did you save shawn or duck at farm ? Did you defend his son against larry's accusations ? Did you drop ben ?

• Basically what Rock said. Kenny is reaaally shaken up by the events of episode 3, his loyalty needs to be really strong to break through his crippling depression and obsession over the boat (he needed something to obsess over since his family died, hence why he becomes intensely fixated on the boat, it helped him keep his mind off his family).

All decisions you make with Kenny around affect how much he likes you, including stuff like deciding to take the food or not from the station

• edited February 2014

I didn't leave Lilly behind, though I guess you already did say unnecessary.

I think what happened to some of the LPers is corrupted save files. Tobuscus was buddy buddy goody goody with Kenny(hell, even more than I was) and kenny gave him the middle finger, even with the "she's my family" dialogue option.

There's a pretty specific path to get Kenny to follow you. Save Duck over Shawn Save Duck against Larry (Don't say Reason with Him or th

• edited February 2014

Posted this in another thread but, fuck it I want to share it here too.

After asking the group for help in searching for Clem, everybody came with me except for Kenny. It really kind of pissed me off that Kenny refused to help me. Now I didn't follow Kenny's every move but, I thought him and my Lee were still pretty cool.

(Let me know if I'm missing something)

Episode 1 Choices:

• I tried to save Shawn instead of Duck.

• I backed up Kenny's family when Larry wanted to throw Duck outside. This was when the the group first entered the Pharmacy and encountered Glenn and his band of survivors.

• I told Kenny to forgive himself for running away after saving Duck, instead of helping Lee get Shawn out underneath the tractor.

Episode 2 Choices:

• I fed Duck and offered food to Kenny.

• I agreed with Kenny that something was wrong with the St. John family.

• I disagreed with Kenny about killing Larry.

• I disagreed with taking supplies from the station wagon.

Episode 3 Choices:

• I went against Kenny's advice and shot the random girl who got bit instead of using her as a diversion. (Kenny later didn't help me when the zombies knocked the door on Lee)

• I agreed with Kenny that the group should move out of the motor inn

• I had Lilly stay in the RV instead of abandoning her on the road.

• I offered food and water to Duck after he had already been bitten.

• I reasoned and gave counsel to Kenny after he was reluctant to visit his soon to be dead son.

• I killed Duck and spared Kenny from killing his son.

Season 4 Choices:

• I argued with Kenny as he wanted to keep moving even though Omid was hurt and needed to rest.

• I killed the zombie boy in the attic who looked like Duck, saving Kenny from doing it.

• I supported Kenny after he thought he may be able to salvage one of the wrecked boats at the pier.

• I backed Kenny when he wanted to confront Molly after they first encountered each other.

• I politely asked Kenny to stop getting drunk instead of insulting him or strongly insisting that he stops.

• I restrained Kenny and sided with Ben after Ben decided to reveal his dishonesty to the group.

• I pulled Ben up after Kenny strongly urged me to drop him to his death.

• I revealed Lee's bite to the group instead of hiding it (Kenny seems sincerely sorry that Lee was bitten)

So 13/21 times I sided with Kenny, yet he still wouldn't assist Lee in the search for Clem. Now I know that's barely over 50% of the time but, I thought overall that I generally went out of my way to help Kenny and his family. I even pleaded with him and said something along the lines of "I need you Kenny" and he still refused to help. Actually after doing that, I remember Kenny going on a rant about how "I've never backed him or his family up when he needed it".

So in conclusion, Kenny was kind of a dick. Don't get me wrong...I loved his character and generally felt he was a good guy. However, it really
    seemed like if I didn't back up Kenny 100% of the time that he tended to come at my Lee sideways in one way or another. The game was kind
    of weird in this respect, as there would be times when Kenny and Lee were like best friends and other times when Kenny would randomly
    confront Lee about he didn't back him in certain situations.

Haha maybe Kenny was bipolar or something...who knows? IMHO It was kind of a cop out that you could just tell Kenny "Clem
    is my family" and he will apparently go with you regardless of anything that happened earlier.

That is just kind of lame isn't it?

• edited February 2014

If Kenny mentioned his family(and not just himself) to you negatively, then "Clem is my family" wouldn't have worked actually.(or anything else)

But given that you weren't an ass to katjaa or duck, I am assuming the most plausible explanation is that your save got corrupted or something.

From your list, I also sided with kenny on 13/21(though different ones) but he automatically offered to come with me, what you and most people miss is that it's less about the number of choices agreed on and more about the importance of the choices agreed on.

If you back up kenny on the really important things, then he'll be perfectly happy even if you disagree with him most of the time.

Posted this in another thread but, fuck it I want to share it here too. After asking the group for help in searching for Clem, everybody ca

• Don't show the bite to Christa and tell Ben to stay.

GUYS WTF I DIDNT DROP BEN AND KENNY STILL CAME WITH ME I WANT TO KNOW HOW CAN I MAKE SO THAT ONLY KENNY COMES WITH ME LOL SRY FOR CAPS MY KEYBARD IS STUCKE

• I saved Duck sided with him against Larry and sided with Kenny in the meatlocker. I fed the kids, Larry and Doug. Brought Lilly along. Shot the girl on the streets, stole the supplies from the station wagon. Shot Duck, talked him down in the train and the list goes on. It was a mixture of siding with him and against him but I think you only have to saved Duck at the farm, side with Kenny in the drug store and kill Larry for him to come with you.

• But in episode 5 he thanks you for letting him kill Duck?

What about Larry? Also, you made him shoot Duck. That counts against you, because, well, you're making him kill his own son.

• I sided with him at every intersection I could except dropping Ben, and he wouldn't come with me.

Well, that's fickleness for you.

• you don't have to be his bitch,but you must help his family most of the time,and then you choose the dialogue option "clementine is my family" then he'll empathized with that

• Always happens in the real world, even without the zombies. lol...

• Not really, if you agree with him on about half the things, then I think he'll still come with you, but you've got to say something like "Clementine is the only family I have left", and then he'll say that family is all that matters and go with you.

You fought him on the train? If you want his help, you must be Kenny's bitch all the time.

• I did that, everything to help his family except for killing Duck or offering myself to do that. Then I chose "Clementine is my family.", and I heard him start whining about everything i've done wrong. Fuck. That.

Herodriver posted: »

you don't have to be his bitch,but you must help his family most of the time,and then you choose the dialogue option "clementine is my family" then he'll empathized with that

• actually,that was the main event that makes kenny want to go with you,lee should be the one that end duck suffering

I did that, everything to help his family except for killing Duck or offering myself to do that. Then I chose "Clementine is my family.", and I heard him start whining about everything i've done wrong. Fuck. That.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.