[UPDATED!] Walking Dead Map (Spoilers)

edited March 2014 in The Walking Dead

So, since I'm not from the USA I've haven't really had a very good idea of the geography of the Walking Dead. To fix this I spent the evening putting down markers in Google Earth to get a better idea of where things are in relation to each other. A lot of them are obviously just my own estimates. Figured I would share, because why not.

USA:
Alt text

Georgia:
Alt text

Atlanta:
Alt text

Washington D.C:
Alt text

Cynthiana:
Alt text

Macon:
Alt text

Savannah:
Alt text

I have only read up to "What Comes After" in the comics, so there's probably some stuff from after that missing.

Here's a list of the places, their significance, and my reasoning for where I put them:

1. Memphis (Where Kenny and family where driving home from): Real life city.
  2. Fort Lauderdale (Where Kenny and Family is from): Real life city.
  3. Gainsville Mall (Where Allen worked before the outbreak): Mall in Gainsville with shoe shop.
  4. CDC (Visited in TV series, would have performed relevant work in comics and game): Actual CDC.
  5. Atlanta Highway (Iconic scenery in comics and TV series, where Rick enters Atlanta): Where the scene was filmed in TV series (Oddly only makes sense if he was coming from the direction he came from in the comics)
  6. Marietta (Where Clementine's babysitter was asked to take her (also babysitters home)): Real life city.
  7. Stone Mountain High School (Where Ben went to school): Actual high school.
  8. WABE (Radio station where Carley worked): Actual WABE.
  9. Clementine's House (Uh... where Clementine lived): Estimated based on being the only suburban location close to the correct highway with the correct scenery (Forested area etc.).
  10. Dale's Camp (Where Dale, Lori, Glenn and co. were camped in the beginning): Estimated based on TV series location. Only quarry near the correct highway at suitable distance to Atlanta.
  11. Fairburn Camp (Visited in TV series, by Rick looking for gas before reaching Atlanta.): Placed at location used for filming, due to being at the correct highway and matching up with angle of Rick's arrival from King County.
  12. King County (Rick's home county in the TV show): Fictional county, placed based on location shown in TV show.
  13. Cynthiana Police Station (Rick's police department in the comics): Actual police station.
  14. Harrison Memorial Hospital (Hospital where Rick wakes up in the comics): Actual hospital.
  15. University of Georgia (Where Lee used to teach): Actual university.
  16. Wiltshire Estates (First refuge of Rick's group): Based on location used for the TV show appearance due to matching visually and suitable distance to Atlanta as well as prison.
  17. Greene Family Farm (Home of Hershel and family): Estimated at farm at suitable distance from Wiltshire, prison and Atlanta as well as considering Kenny's precense at the early days of outbreak. Attempted placement by Route 64 as suggested in comics but said road is located in the opposite end of Georgia, makes no sense so disregarded this.
  18. West Central Prison (Second refuge of Rick's group, original destination for Lee and Vince): Based on TV show filming location due to lack of comic information as well as set being at a suitable location based on distance to Atlanta, Wiltshire estates and Woodbury.
  19. Woodbury (Home of the Governor): Real life town.
  20. Save-Lots (Origin of the Save-Lots bandits): Placed at Macon Save-A-Lot, the inspiration for Save-Lots.
  21. Everett Pharmacy Drugstore (Everett family business): Estimated based on surroundings. Difficult due to inaccurate representation of Macon in-game.
  22. Travelier Motel (Home of Lee's group):Estimated based on proximity to Macon, surroundings and the path later taken to Savannah.
  23. Robins Air Force Base (Lilly and Mark's former workplace): Actual base.
  24. St. John Dairy (Home of the cannibals): Estimated at farm based on distance to Travelier Motel and surrroundings.
  25. The Long Road (Final resting place of Carley/Doug and where Russell met Nate): Estimated at specific road based on Russell's map as well as surroundings.
  26. Derailed Train (Where Lee's group found a train): Estimated based on studying all crossings of Macon-Savannah railway and roads of the correct size and orientation as well as taking into account surroundings.
  27. Wrecked Tanker (Where Omid and Christa joined Lee): Placed at the only bridge crossing between highway leading into Savannah and railway travelled by Lee's group.
  28. Statesboro (Where Russel's grandma lived): Real life town.
  29. Gil's Pitstop (Where survivors experienced 400 days worth of stories.): Estimated based on road orientation, surroundings and proximity to The Long Road.
  30. The Marsh House (Where Clementine's parents were staying): Placed at the Marshall House, the inspiration to the Marsh House.
  31. Crawford (Former home of Molly): Actual location in Savannah.
  32. Lone Pines Winter Park (Where reunion with Kenny occurs.): Placed at Lone Pine Mountain.
  33. The Cabin (Home of the Cabin group): Estimated based on license plate, surroundings and distance to Lone Pines Winter Park.
  34. Wellington (Rumored survivor community): Actual location in Michigan.
  35. Alexandria Safe Zone (Third refuge of Rick's group): Actual location in D.C.
  36. The Kingdom (Home of Ezekiel): Placed at Eastern High School, which matches the Kingdom's school exactly visually.
  37. The Sanctuary (Home of the Saviors): Placed at the only industrial area in D.C. that has long chimneys.
  38. The Hilltop (Home of Jesus): Placed at the only elevated farmland north of D.C. with a water tower 20 miles from Alexandria.

Feedback is appreciated!

EDIT: Now with Google Earth marker download:
Download

Comments

• Looks like they still got a long road ahead untill they are reaching Wellington...

Thanks for sharing this, it's awsome!

• No problem! And yeah, it's quite the trek to Wellington. I wonder if we'll actually get there in Season 2 or if the goal will change to something else.

Looks like they still got a long road ahead untill they are reaching Wellington... Thanks for sharing this, it's awsome!

• Not bad. I can't believe they have to hike so far in just three Episodes now. I mean, Wellington might as well be across the ocean for them now that they've been captured.

• Interesting to see all these places pinned on the map... What a journey it has been since Clem's house.

• Cars?

Rock114 posted: »

Not bad. I can't believe they have to hike so far in just three Episodes now. I mean, Wellington might as well be across the ocean for them now that they've been captured.

• Maybe there will be another time skip. Or maybe we won't go there at all, who knows?

Not bad. I can't believe they have to hike so far in just three Episodes now. I mean, Wellington might as well be across the ocean for them now that they've been captured.

• And they expect us to buy Kenny and Clem happened to meet at that ski lodge. Paaaalease....

• It sure has! It's easy to forget the distances involved or the time passed since the game itself is so fast-paced.

JonGon posted: »

Interesting to see all these places pinned on the map... What a journey it has been since Clem's house.

• It is quite the coincidence, but Matthew does mention that a lot of survivors move through the area, so that kind of helps.

Viva-La-Lee posted: »

And they expect us to buy Kenny and Clem happened to meet at that ski lodge. Paaaalease....

You know what? Take your foolish LOGIC and FACTS and get out of here. We have no time for reasonable thinking or viable theories here.

Cars?

• Hahahaha I love you Rock!

LogicOut

... You know what? Take your foolish LOGIC and FACTS and get out of here. We have no time for reasonable thinking or viable theories here.

• Awesome man, now to get to Wellington...thats one long-ass trip though -_-

• Quite the coincidence? Let's look at that map again.

I'd sooner believe in zombies than that they happened to end up crossing the same bridge...

Tyranniac posted: »

It is quite the coincidence, but Matthew does mention that a lot of survivors move through the area, so that kind of helps.

• edited March 2014

I don't exactly like the placement of Gil's Pitstop. It'd be kind of stupid (and a waste of gas) for Kenny to turn around from Southern Georgia to go back up to Atlanta and then back down south to Hershel's farm and so forth. Personally, I always thought it'd be somewhere north of Atlanta.

• It was one of the harder things to place. What we know is that it has to be fairly close to "The Long Road" (Where Carley/Doug died and Russel met Nate), and that it is placed on a road heading West-East, so it ends up being East of Atlanta either way, which is weird considering Kenny's route from Memphis to Fort Lauderdale, but maybe they turned around and started heading towards Atlanta since it was a safe zone? Seems like a reasonable assumption.

I don't exactly like the placement of Gil's Pitstop. It'd be kind of stupid (and a waste of gas) for Kenny to turn around from Southern Geor

• Thank you, thank you! I'll be here all... well... year? Whenever the Season is finished.

Hahahaha I love you Rock! LogicOut

• Well, I guess it is a good assumption. The idea just doesn't make sense to me personally.

It was one of the harder things to place. What we know is that it has to be fairly close to "The Long Road" (Where Carley/Doug died and Russ

• Yup... lots of time for everyone to die on the way... ::/

Gengar posted: »

Awesome man, now to get to Wellington...thats one long-ass trip though -_-

• (gulp)...

Alt text

Yup... lots of time for everyone to die on the way... ::/

• edited March 2014

That moment when Clementine has been moving closer and closer to Alexandria as the series progresses...

• ...and yet will never meet our... heroes? Probably for the best, though.

Qipoi posted: »

That moment when Clementine has been moving closer and closer to Alexandria as the series progresses...

• "heroes" is a strong word...

...and yet will never meet our... heroes? Probably for the best, though.

• Yeah... I doubt anything will come from it though, too much trouble with the game's different possibilities. Some kind of small cameos or references across the two would be cool though, now that both the locations and timelines are getting close to each other.

Qipoi posted: »

• My brain had way too much difficulty reading the map sideways...

• Heh, sorry, I put it that way so that I wouldn't have to zoom out even more to fit everything in one picture.

BlueDrank posted: »

My brain had way too much difficulty reading the map sideways...

• edited March 2014

Oh I just mean that Clem will come across Alexandria and it will be abandoned by the time she gets there.

Yeah... I doubt anything will come from it though, too much trouble with the game's different possibilities. Some kind of small cameos or re

• How are you guessing the placement of Lone Pines Winter Park? Google isn't turning up anything so I'm pretty sure its fictional.

• And where is Ski Lodge ?

• edited March 2014

Coincidence, yes. But you have to remember that they were both heading north to Wellington and Matthew says "I see at least one group a day move through here" which is a lot of people for so few left in the ZA.

I personally think that they executed the ITYWD scene perfectly, and it wouldn't have made as much sense if it was Lilly (Probably wouldn't be in a group of nice people, I could see her with a bandit group though) or Molly (Lone wolf.)

Quite the coincidence? Let's look at that map again. I'd sooner believe in zombies than that they happened to end up crossing the same bridge...

• I'd have been fine with no itywdg. But that's besides the point. Look at all those miles and miles and miles and miles or possible routes to the north. The odds of them crossing the same bridge at the same time are astronomically, hilariously, improbable.

Dragonleaf posted: »

Coincidence, yes. But you have to remember that they were both heading north to Wellington and Matthew says "I see at least one group a day

• You are right when you say it is an extremely astronomically small chance, but I'm just honestly happy we got to see a familiar face again. (Seriously, I would put the ITYWD scene on my top 5 favorite video game moments easily.)

I'd have been fine with no itywdg. But that's besides the point. Look at all those miles and miles and miles and miles or possible routes

• Yeah, the park is fictional, but the mountain is real.

How are you guessing the placement of Lone Pines Winter Park? Google isn't turning up anything so I'm pretty sure its fictional.

• The ski lodge is a part of the Lone Pines Winter Park.

Gravity posted: »

And where is Ski Lodge ?

• What is "Dale's Camp"?

• Any chance of editing this when you get further into the comics?

• By Dale's camp I mean the first one, right outside Atlanta. I wasn't sure what to call it. Used Dale's name because the RV is his mainly. The location for that one is based on the TV show since there was no information what-so-ever on the location in comic material.

Zyphon posted: »

What is "Dale's Camp"?

• Yeah absolutely, I'll add more once I'm completely up to date on the comics. Also need to fix the spelling on a few things.

Any chance of editing this when you get further into the comics?

• Okay, cool. :)

Yeah absolutely, I'll add more once I'm completely up to date on the comics. Also need to fix the spelling on a few things.

• Ah, I just called it the "Atlanta Camp", okay, thanks for clarifying.

By Dale's camp I mean the first one, right outside Atlanta. I wasn't sure what to call it. Used Dale's name because the RV is his mainly. Th

• Oh... And what's Fairburn Camp?

Ah, I just called it the "Atlanta Camp", okay, thanks for clarifying.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.