I want to get into Voice Acting

13»

Comments

• So ReignofClementine... you did it? How's your voice acting now?

• Get a microphone and practice!
    Being a voice actor isn't just about doing different voices - some of the best voice actors can only do one voice.
    It's basically acting, but with only your voice, so you have to put all your emotion into your voice.

Figure out what your strengths are - some voices are better for certain things: announcing, narrating, etc.

Also, enunciation is important too - pronouncing your words clearly so that people know what your saying.
    Practice reading out tongue-twister sentences.
    "She sells sea-shells on the sea-shore.
    The shells she sells are sea-shells, I'm sure.
    For if she sells sea-shells on the sea-shore
    Then I'm sure she sells sea-shore shells."
    is a common one that I can think of from the top of my head.

Don't let your age discourage you; there are plenty of excellent child voice actors.

Look up the voice actors of your favorite TV show/video game characters and read/watch interviews with them for some inspiration.

There is a lot of great advice in this thread, so go check out the other posts - if you haven't already.

I'm not a voice actor or anything, but the subject interests me so... I'm just sharing with you what I know... which isn't much...

By the way, there's a free, but very basic, audio program called Audacity that you can use for recording: http://www.audacityteam.org/about/

I want to be a voice actor i have done research and most are over 2o and Im 11 i do practice some lines from games my voice is a bit deep fo

• It makes sense to practice things before trying to get paid of doing something.

Let's say I wanted to translate Japanese movies, games, etc for English speaking audience. I would actually need to be pretty confident I can pull it off and in turn do a good job with it.

With voice acting stuff, if someone is too young to be professional, just take advantage of it and practice.

• Wanna voice act but im way too far from america. Im sad ?

• Sometimes you can, especially if you have an accent that someone is looking for for a certain character. But yeah, most parts aren't like that. Are there opportunities in your home country?

Wanna voice act but im way too far from america. Im sad ?

• Same,I do make good Pennywise and many other voices you can possibly think of.

• All of acting is basically an intensive character study. You don't want the audience to say "That's some really good acting" you want them to go, "Woah this character has come to life!" Understanding your vocal range is very important but nowhere near as important as understanding the psychology of the characters you play. Remember that you're not selling your voice, you're always selling the character, and that's what creators will be looking at when they view your past work and your auditions.

Also don't be afraid to animate yourself and be expressive behind the booth. You're not just the voice, you're half of the gateway into the character's soul along with the animation (all of it if it's a dramatic reading), so don't be afraid to use every part of your body to absorb as much of the spirit of the role as you can in your performance, even if only your voice will be featured in the presentation. (Mark Hamill's portrayal of the Joker is one of my favorite examples of using your whole body to get into your voice role, watching him behind the scenes of the Arkham games is so enjoyable lol)

I know this thread is years old but in the acting business any chance to show off your talent and build your portfolio is a plus (provided that the script is salvageable of course). Don't be afraid to start out practicing with more humble productions like some small time indie games, a flash animation or a YouTube sketch. Anything to get your foot in the door. Acting especially is a profession where you need to take every opportunity you can to shine bright since the industry is incredibly oversaturated with aspiring talent.

And yes, always practice. It's not too far off from singing really; you're trying to hit the right notes only unlike singibg you're also trying to add a personal flair that only your voice and creative improvisation can bring to the table.

Since this thread is years old I hope you managed to get your acting career off the ground. It's a very competitive field so any successfully earned role is an accomplishment no matter how small. Best of luck to you :smile:

Sign in to comment in this discussion.