Details that people might forget, don't notice or just don't know about The Walking Dead

Comments

• TFW we wipe out the Russians, take Arvo prisoner, and suffer no casualties.

Findagon posted: »

VITALI: [Pickup2][Russian]["Because they're stubborn Americans. They wouldn't listen and now we're all screwed!"] BURICKO: [Pickup2][Russian]["Don't try and be fucking cowboys - You're all out of your goddamn league!"]

• "doesnt know him from Adam(?)"

Referencing Adam and Eve, Kenny is exaggerating by saying he doesnt even know Mile from the biblical birthplace of humanity

DabigRG posted: »

That's kinda what I mean though. Mike still has these things about his screentime that line up with that description("him trying to be an as

• ...Bwah? Is he calling Mike a baby?

"doesnt know him from Adam(?)" Referencing Adam and Eve, Kenny is exaggerating by saying he doesnt even know Mile from the biblical birthplace of humanity

• Yep. Name's Grace Garcia.

Original model Kate?

• It's easy to see that those characters were created by Americans, because real Russians who dislike Americans would call them in a different way.

Findagon posted: »

VITALI: [Pickup2][Russian]["Because they're stubborn Americans. They wouldn't listen and now we're all screwed!"] BURICKO: [Pickup2][Russian]["Don't try and be fucking cowboys - You're all out of your goddamn league!"]

• Holy shit no fucking way, vivec?! Nice to see an old name again.

Deltino posted: »

It seems that there was a cut version of the end of S1 ep 4 where the group doesn't know that Lee dropped Ben. And take a look at who posted it, too...

• Interesting. Kenny wouldn't have been as much of a dick there, though I guess that went to Vernon potentially foreshadowing the Stranger.

They really did plan for a lot, didn't they?

It seems that there was a cut version of the end of S1 ep 4 where the group doesn't know that Lee dropped Ben. And take a look at who posted it, too...

• edited September 2017

Actually, that's a slight misconception. Few people are aware that Lee's voice actor, Dave Fennoy, literally cried during his performance, but even fewer people realize that he did NOT merely cry at the end when the screen blacks out, but rather, throughout MOST of the entire recording of that scene (from about the beginning/middle to the end of it). In fact, here's some video footage of Dave's performance (skip to about 16 minutes). As you can see, contrary to popular belief, Dave had actually been shedding tears long before he reached the very last lines of dialogue. That only makes the scene THAT much more emotional.

Another fact most people, including longtime fans, don't realize (and I wish more people would) is that Clementine's voice actress, Melissa Hutchison, also found herself in tears while recording the ending scene. In other words, both Lee AND Clementine's voice actors shed real tears WHILE they were in character (not simply after their performance). Everything you hear in that final scene between Lee and Clemetine -- the heavy breathing, the vocal quivering, the sheer emotion and the struggle to keep the dialogue intelligible -- that was all REAL.

https://alternativemagazineonline.co.uk/2012/12/24/interview-in-conversation-with-dave-fennoy-and-melissa-hutchison-lee-everett-and-clementine-the-walking-dead-the-game/

(skip to about 1 hr 25 minutes to hear Melissa talking about her performance)

I feel the need to share all this information, because most people, including longtime fans, simply don't realize just how truly authentic The Walking Dead Season 1actually is. It's about as authentic as any video game could ever hope to be, and is truly a masterpiece of art, writing, and performance. As much recognition as the game receives, I don't think it receives enough, considering that most of the information I've shared here is relatively unknown.

UltimateDT posted: »

This may be kind of obvious to some fans: At the end of Season 1, just as the screen turns black after you choose the final choice (shoot

• edited September 2017

Even after all these years, many people are still unaware that Clementine has long been confirmed to be mixed-race. This was confirmed at least as far back as 2013 by Sean Vanaman himself during a Game Developers Conference. He stated that Clementine's mixed-race background, including those of her parent(s), had already been established by the creative team, but that the game itself never revealed the specific details of her race because there was never any need to bring them up. The only aspect of Clementine's mixed-racial identity that was necessary for the game to imply was that she's African American, which the narrative required in order to explain why other characters often mistake Clementine for Lee's daughter. Here's a link to the video of Vanaman's presentation below. Skip to about 36 minutes to listen to him talk about Clementine's mixed-race background.

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1017807/Saving-Doug-Empathy-Character-and

In case anyone's wondering, Vanaman didn't actually mention Clementine's specific racial makeup in the particular source cited above (I cannot find one in which he does). However, Clementine's voice actress, Melissa Hutchison, stated during a podcast interview that Clementine is black and Asian, although she didn't know what specific Asian ethnic group Clementine is part of (Chinese, Korean, etc). Here's a link to that podcast below (skip to about 26 minutes).

http://fanfest.com/2017/01/03/walking-dead-cast-247-the-walking-dead-a-new-frontier-melissa-hutchison/

Now, some people may be skeptical of Hutchison's word regarding Clementine's race because she's a voice actress as opposed to a writer, animator, or other creative team member, but Derek Sakai, the artist who created Clementine, actually based much of Clementine's design on his own little daughter, who is Asian. That may explain why many people believe Clementine looks (or is) Asian/Asian-mixed. Furthermore, if you google "derek sakai daughter," you'll find images of an actual little Asian girl who looks nearly identical to Clementine from Season 1, lending even further support to Hutchison's statement that Clementine is, indeed, Asian-mixed.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/12/26/creating-clementine.aspx

In summary, we know for certain that Clementine has been confirmed to be mixed-race, with African American being one of these confirmed races, while it's very likely that she's Asian American, as well.

• edited September 2017

As a side note, I find it a bit interesting that, in the first source I listed in my reply above, Sean Vanaman refers to Clementine's mother as her "birth mother," while only calling Clementine's father, "her father," as if Clementine had any other mother or father in her life (again, around 36 minutes). I especially took note of these words in light of the fact that Telltale's Reddit AMA stated earlier this year that, "From what we've seen in the games, we know that Clem's mother is African American and we haven't necessarily seen Clem's biological father yet" (source of the Reddit quote below)

https://www.reddit.com/r/thewalkingdead/comments/62mend/were_the_walking_dead_dev_team_at_telltale_games/

A lot of people dismiss this quote as simply a mistake on Telltale's part, believing that the developers simply forgot that we already saw a photo of Clem's father (Ed) as well as his walker form. But is it really a mistake, or was Ed actually Clementine's adoptive father all along? Hmm....

Maybe I'm just reading too much into things, but it's interesting to point out, nonetheless.

TheMyth26 posted: »

Even after all these years, many people are still unaware that Clementine has long been confirmed to be mixed-race. This was confirmed at le

• In Ties that Bind Part 1, Conrad's bar has an unfinished chess game on a table that Javier will comment that he doesn't know how to play but he thinks Gabe used to.

In Above the Law, the flashback in the Garcia's house has Gabe sleeping next to an unfinished game of checkers.

So basically, Javier completely misremembered due to not spending much time with Gabe.

Uncle of the Year, ladies and gentlemen.

I'm joking, if you can't tell.
  • Oh yeah, I brought that up in that one thread a week or two ago before it got closed.

As a side note, I find it a bit interesting that, in the first source I listed in my reply above, Sean Vanaman refers to Clementine's mother

• Really now?

It's easy to see that those characters were created by Americans, because real Russians who dislike Americans would call them in a different way.

• Clementine is a Blasian with [formerly] Yellow eyes. Conrad is a AA with blue eyes.

• Glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed this! Like Vanaman said, there's tons of established backstory that was never actually revealed to the player, but they're still important to the characters, nonetheless. I just found it interesting that he would refer to Clem's mother as her "birth mother" (WAY back in 2013, mind you), leading me to suspect that perhaps Telltale's AMA wasn't mistaken when they said in 2017 that we haven't necessarily seen Clementine's biological father yet.

Oh yeah, I brought that up in that one thread a week or two ago before it got closed.

• If I'm remembering correctly, I believe someone tried to message Sean to see if the whole different Dads thing was something Sean came up with beforehand or something Telltale made up and got a reponse about it being true, not sure where I remember seeing it, though.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed this! Like Vanaman said, there's tons of established backstory that was never actually revealed

• What's true? That Sean came up with the idea beforehand, or that it was something Telltale made up later?

dojo32161 posted: »

If I'm remembering correctly, I believe someone tried to message Sean to see if the whole different Dads thing was something Sean came up wi

• About it being by Sean.

What's true? That Sean came up with the idea beforehand, or that it was something Telltale made up later?

• edited September 2017

Ah, okay thanks

dojo32161 posted: »

About it being by Sean.

• Sean claimed that it was actually the other way around than what Telltale stated. He said that Ed was her biological dad and Diana was her step mom. He also confirmed that Clem is biracial. Telltale got it wrong (or retconned it, who knows).

You could try DMing him on twitter...though maybe right now isn't the best time considering recent events.

As a side note, I find it a bit interesting that, in the first source I listed in my reply above, Sean Vanaman refers to Clementine's mother

• Interesting. I feel like I've read that somewhere before (about Diana being Clem's stepmother, that is), but I can't remember where, exactly. Or maybe I'm confusing it with something else (I have horrible memory)

Also, you said Sean confirmed Clementine is biracial. Did he ever mention Clementine's specific racial makeup? We already know she's African American, but I'm curious as to what the other "half" is. I'm wondering if it adds up with what Clementine's voice actress said about Clem being black and Asian.

Graysonn posted: »

Sean claimed that it was actually the other way around than what Telltale stated. He said that Ed was her biological dad and Diana was her s

• edited September 2017

Reaaally think long and hard about that one.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Lilacsbloom posted: »

Gabe has a crush and smooches the girl who shares the same model as his sister. Reaaally think long and hard about that one.

• Yeah, trust me. I know.

Really now?

• edited September 2017

Reaaally think long and hard about that one.

enter image description here

Oh sweet salty christ...

Reaaally think long and hard about that one. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• enter image description here

Lilacsbloom posted: »

Reaaally think long and hard about that one. Oh sweet salty christ...

• "911, what is your emergency?"

"I made a boo booooo!"

• edited September 2017

♪Cause, I think you're so good
    And I'm nothing like you♩

Credit to @skoothz

• edited September 2017

Um...

Credit to @Jewfreeus and @fallandir

• this is so sad

♪Cause, I think you're so good And I'm nothing like you♩ Credit to @skoothz

• affection. gross

Um... . Credit to @Jewfreeus and @fallandir

• v

• edited September 2017

Should've known you'd be the one to find a something including the words "Carver and Shower." :lol:

• I wonder how the scene would've made it into the game

• Maybe Gabe plays both chess and checkers?

In Ties that Bind Part 1, Conrad's bar has an unfinished chess game on a table that Javier will comment that he doesn't know how to play but

• Perhaps. I do like that he seems to have general tabletop games under his hidden depths either way.

Cowman42 posted: »

Maybe Gabe plays both chess and checkers?

• Quite simple, actually-- if you dropped Ben, there'd be an extra scene of Kenny asking where Ben is, and you'd be able to tell him what happened, then it'd continue as normal from there. This would lead to the above scene, or the version we currently have, where he's like "Lee stepped up and did what he had to."

Since it got removed, they just made it default to Kenny telling everyone that Lee left him behind.

Sparkeagle posted: »

I wonder how the scene would've made it into the game

• Sean claimed that it was actually the other way around than what Telltale stated. He said that Ed was her biological dad and Diana was her step mom. He also confirmed that Clem is biracial. Telltale got it wrong (or retconned it, who knows).

He may have just forgotten about it. I mean, it's basically just an offhand comment he made years ago, about something he wasn't that interested in to begin with.

Think about it this way-- would you expect a friend to remember the name of some random underground band that he didn't like 10 years later?

Graysonn posted: »

Sean claimed that it was actually the other way around than what Telltale stated. He said that Ed was her biological dad and Diana was her s

• The Carver one isn't really a big surprise, is it? It's implying the scene of him snooping around the cabin went on for longer (checking behind the shower curtains, checking Sarah's room, etc). They probably cut it down so it wouldn't drag on for too long. If you had him going through each individual room for the next 10 minutes, I think it'd start to get a bit silly.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.