Details that people might forget, don't notice or just don't know about The Walking Dead

Comments

• And do any of these deleted videos have any traces of the alvin and clem fishing scene? That's one I've always wanted more than anything.

• To be fair, we knew about some of it for a while now. It just took this long for someone like @Graysonn to make a video documenting a lot of it(that's still up/findable at least).

Louche posted: »

Am I the only one wondering why all this cut content is only being investigated now? What's the occasion? Season two is four years old at this point.

• Graysonn said he wasn't able to get most of those files working himself, but someone else did manage to recreate them and how they would've been set up in game.

The Alvin lines don't seem to be in the game, however.

And do any of these deleted videos have any traces of the alvin and clem fishing scene? That's one I've always wanted more than anything.

• Well, that's a shame that the lines aren't in, but do you have a link to this recreation?
    Seriously, who they do keep all this dummied out stuff in the game files (yeah, it's great for understanding how the game should have looked, but I don't understand why it isn't all deleted. IMO it makes them look bad)

DabigRG posted: »

Graysonn said he wasn't able to get most of those files working himself, but someone else did manage to recreate them and how they would've been set up in game. The Alvin lines don't seem to be in the game, however.

• edited November 2017

Well, that's a shame that the lines aren't in, but do you have a link to this recreation?

He shared it in his video, but it was posted in a thread about cut content by @Lilacsbloom a few months ago. I'll see if I can track it down.

EDIT: Found it!

Seriously, who they do keep all this dummied out stuff in the game files(yeah, it's great for understanding how the game should have looked, but I don't understand why it isn't all deleted. IMO it makes them look bad)

Oh contraire, I think we should be thankful they left a few things in there. @Graysonn mentions that they likely do remove most of the stuff they won't use, but leave some in either to be repurposed or because they overlooked them.

Well, that's a shame that the lines aren't in, but do you have a link to this recreation? Seriously, who they do keep all this dummied out

• Clementine's voice actor, Melissa Hutchinson, also played Merlina in Sonic and the Black Knight. 0.o

• edited November 2017

EDIT: Found it!

Thanks. Man, that thread is a goldmine but it makes my head swim.
    And I'm confused if there's dialogue recorded or not for the fishing scene? Or is it just transcribed in text files?. Someone should copy it then.

Oh contraire, I think we should be thankful they left a few things in there

I am.
    It just annoys me they couldn't even be bothered to fully delete them. They just take up space, so either delete them or use them in the game like they were meant to. It's a bizarre feeling. :grimace:

And as for overlooked, it seems like they "overlooked" almost all the deleted scenes then. I can think of very few at this point that I haven't seen evidence of. (there's the alternate train chat with clem, christa and omid in the train station, the bandits spying on the farm, kenny and lee talking about the bandits)

Well, that's a shame that the lines aren't in, but do you have a link to this recreation? He shared it in his video, but it was post

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited November 2017

For what it's worth, 90% of all games have cut content lingering around in the files. It'd be difficult to find a game that doesn't at least have some piece of legacy code, an old model/texture, an unused sound effect/voice line, and so forth.

Not to mention that even if things are unused, they can still be repurposed for something else. Alternatively, they're kept there less out of laziness, and more out of oversights or time/resource management. Think of it this way; it took 4 years for people to find out about this stuff and make videos on it. So what are the chances a random sound engineer will be able to purge every piece of deleted dialogue out of the 1000+ sound effects and voice lines used in the game? Or that one of the programmers can remove every old and/or unused line of code out of the 100,000+ lines of code written? You could spend a few hours trying to clean out all of the unused stuff, or use those hours building new content instead. In the realm of game development, I think it's clear which one they'd end up doing.

Well, that's a shame that the lines aren't in, but do you have a link to this recreation? Seriously, who they do keep all this dummied out

• And I'm confused if there's dialogue recorded or not for the fishing scene? Or is it just transcribed in text files?. Someone should copy it then.

Here's Part 1 of his video with a timestamp on the Topic, if it helps.

It just annoys me they couldn't even be bothered to fully delete them. They just take up space, so either delete them or use them in the game like they were meant to. It's a bizarre feeling. :grimace:

Honestly, I kinda get the feeling at least some of the stuff gets deleted was because of space limitations.
    Anyway, the Bossman has a wiser explanation posted before I saw this, so I've said my 2 cents.

EDIT: Found it! Thanks. Man, that thread is a goldmine but it makes my head swim. And I'm confused if there's dialogue recorded or

• Yeah, I know, and I have the same question for all of them. Although again, where would be be without them? So much fascinating info comes to light because of these dummied out files. I'm glad they exist. Just... so confused.
    I don't understand any of those reasons you've listed. Repurposed for something else? How does keeping them in a game where this hypothetical repurposed thing doesn't exist help anything? Don't they have a proper place to store them?
    And I'd think cluttering all the files up with stuff that won't be used would make it harder to sort through what actually is used for the final game.
    I'm not an expert on this sort of thing, obviously. I've always wanted to look through the files of a game, but I don't know if I'd be even be able to read it.
    But in any case, I don't think it took people 4 years to go through the files, they just decided to look thoroughly through them right now for some reason.

Deltino posted: »

For what it's worth, 90% of all games have cut content lingering around in the files. It'd be difficult to find a game that doesn't at least

• Aw man, how do you timestamp? I can never do it.
    Here's the thing I really don't get. Removed for space? Uh, wouldn't they still take up as much space in the game files?
    (I'm sure someone is going to tell me no and that I know nothing about game design but I just don't get it)

And I'm confused if there's dialogue recorded or not for the fishing scene? Or is it just transcribed in text files?. Someone should copy it

• Repurposed for something else? How does keeping them in a game where this hypothetical repurposed thing doesn't exist help anything?

An example given in Graysonn's latest video was a scene where Rebecca was apparently going into labor or something in the dummied out Ski Lodge bathroom. Those animations were tweaked for the scene where she's sitting between Alvin and Carlos and when she's talking to Clementine.

Plus, with the rewrites stories in general to go through, games like these can and will benefit from holding on to existing material to reduce the workload involved in creating new files from the ground up. For example, if they hadn't already decided to be spiteful regarding her, I'm sure they would've reused animations from Michelle and even Russell during the observation deck defense.

And I'd think cluttering all the files up with stuff that won't be used would make it harder to sort through what actually is used for the final game.

That's not really a major concern of the developers, logically. All they're supposed to do is rig what is useful for the final product and make sure it works properly. Anything that's leftover is negligible as long as it doesn't significantly weigh down the game's files.

But in any case, I don't think it took people 4 years to go through the files, they just decided to look thoroughly through them right now for some reason.

Exactly. There have been reports of various scenes that were planned and leftover models and animations contained in the game's files for years, obviously.

Aw man, how do you timestamp? I can never do it.

Click Share and then check the time box. Then you just copy the url provided in the share menu.
    It doesn't always work, mind you, but that's how you do it.

Here's the thing I really don't get. Removed for space? Uh, wouldn't they still take up as much space in the game files?

As long as the completed game doesn't stutter and chug, they can leave as much material in as they want.

Yeah, I know, and I have the same question for all of them. Although again, where would be be without them? So much fascinating info comes t

• Eh, I'm not gonna reply to all this. Fact is I'm never going to be satisfied, because I just wish everything wasn't deleted in the first place. A complete puzzle is a complete picture, and once you know all about these cut scenes you feel all these gaps whenever replaying or watching the game.

As for the timestamp, I do that, and it never works.

Repurposed for something else? How does keeping them in a game where this hypothetical repurposed thing doesn't exist help anything?

• As for the timestamp, I do that, and it never works.

From what I've done with the time stamp, it only works up to the ninth second of the ninth minute. You can't do double digits with the minutes and seconds In an embedded timestamp. You can always just link the timestamp if you want it to work.

Eh, I'm not gonna reply to all this. Fact is I'm never going to be satisfied, because I just wish everything wasn't deleted in the first pla

• wat, that's what I did.

As for the timestamp, I do that, and it never works. From what I've done with the time stamp, it only works up to the ninth second o

• Has anyone else noticed how ANF has characters seriously referring to "the walkie"?

• I think you're right. Where have you seen these walkie references? Might jog my memory.

Has anyone else noticed how ANF has characters seriously referring to "the walkie"?

• Ava, Kate, and I think Clementine used it during at least Thicker than Water.

I think you're right. Where have you seen these walkie references? Might jog my memory.

• edited November 2017

Well. Not ringing any bells, but I'll rewatch the episode and keep an eye out for it.

Edit: Got through half the episode before I realized I completely overthought what you're saying.
    I just had to be sure. :lol: Always trying to find the deeper meaning inside something that is completely obvious. Live by it and probably die by it.

Ava, Kate, and I think Clementine used it during at least Thicker than Water.

• I've noticed several parallels between bad things that Clem's group (determinately) do in s1 and bad things that (determinately) happen to Clem's group in s2, aka karma.

• Lee can give Andy St. John a no holds barred beatdown, Carver gives Kenny a no holds barred beatdown in s2. Similarly, they are both stopped when a woman tells them to (Carley and Bonnie, respectively).
    • Kenny and Lee can leave a woman to be eaten so they can escape safely, Kenny later gets eaten so that others can escape safely.
    • Lee and the group can steal food and supplies from a desperate family with kids (albeit unknowingly), in s2 Mike, Arvo, and possibly Bonnie steal the food and supplies from a desperate group with kids.
    • Kenny destroys a man's brain in front of his loved one to make sure he doesn't turn, in s2 Clem can destroy his loved one's brain right in from of him to make sure she doesn't turn.
    • Kenny suggests leaving an injured man behind for the group's sake, in s2 Luke suggests leaving an injured Kenny behind for the group's sake.
  • Can't help but notice most of those involve Kenny. Huh.

Kenny and Lee can leave a woman to be eaten so they can escape safely, Kenny later gets eaten so that others can escape safely.

1.That wasn't in Season 2, genius.
    2.Clementine and AJ don't really qualify as "others"
    3.Kenny wanted to let Beatrice get eaten as a distraction while they raid the Pharmacy of the remaining food

Kenny suggests leaving an injured man behind for the group's sake

Do you mean Mr. Parker?

I've noticed several parallels between bad things that Clem's group (determinately) do in s1 and bad things that (determinately) happen to C

• Is there a particular reason that you can't refrain from leaving negative and condescending remarks on my posts? You come across as petty and boorish. Maybe if you don't like what I post you can just ignore them.

To answer your questions, Kenny is part of most of those because he is the only character besides Clem and Lee who is in every s1 episode so naturally he is part of most of the major decisions, genius. Did we not play the same game where Kenny is by your side during the majority of tough decisions? And no I meant Omid.

Can't help but notice most of those involve Kenny. Huh. Kenny and Lee can leave a woman to be eaten so they can escape safely, Kenny l

• I don't think it counts as karma if the one who instigated the bad deed isn't the one on the receiving end of the retribution like the first bullet point. Second one poses an interesting question though. Does it count as karma if the effect can be avoided based on unrelated player choices?

Either way these are some pretty interesting parallels, apparently Kenny just can't seem to get a break.

I've noticed several parallels between bad things that Clem's group (determinately) do in s1 and bad things that (determinately) happen to C

• Is there a particular reason that you can't refrain from leaving negative and condescending remarks on my posts? You come across as petty and boorish. Maybe if you don't like what I post you can just ignore them.

Admittedly, the moment I reread my post before reading your reply, I realized I probably came off as aggressive and that was not the intent.

To answer your questions, Kenny is part of most of those because he is the only character besides Clem and Lee who is in every s1 episode so naturally he is part of most of the major decisions, genius. Did we not play the same game where Kenny is by your side during the majority of tough decisions?

And no I meant Omid.

Okay, I knew there was probably instance, but I couldn't pinpoint it. Thanks.

Is there a particular reason that you can't refrain from leaving negative and condescending remarks on my posts? You come across as petty a

• Found a little inconsistency in "Starved For Help."

When Lee, Kenny and Mark come back to the Travelier motel, depending on your dialogue choices, the argument between Kenny and Lilly can look like this. Pay special attention to the sentence in bold:

Kenny: You know, you like to think you are the leader of this little group, but we can make our own goddamn decisions! This isn’t your own—personal dictatorship!

Carley: Oh come on, you’re being dramatic! Everything always turns into a power struggle between you two. I’m not gonna be a part of that.

Lilly: Hey, I didn’t ask to lead this group. Everyone was happy to have me distributing the food when there was enough to go around! But now that it’s running out, suddenly, I’m a goddamn Nazi.

— [It doesn’t matter who’s in charge] [Lilly’s right] [Kenny’s right] […] —

Lee: Kenny’s right! Yeah, you’re in charge of the food and the schedules, but you’re not in charge of people’s lives.

Lilly: Really.

Kenny: You weren’t there. Lee made a choice. End of story.

Lee: Look, once Katjaa patches that guy up you can kick ‘em out of here. Send ‘em out on their own, I couldn’t care less. But they at least deserve a fighting chance against the walkers. And for the record, Kenny wanted to leave those people behind!

Lilly: If Kenny would pull his head out of his ass for five seconds, he’d realize that I make these decisions to protect his family! We simply don’t have enough food.

A few minutes later, when Lee helps Katjaa tend to Travis/David's wounds, you get the option to say the following, regardless of what you previously told Lilly about Kenny:

Katjaa: You know, I thought I was starting to get used to this. Sewing up people’s injuries… What were you thinking bringing him here? Even if he lives, we aren’t going to be able to take care of him! *

— [I did the right thing] [It’s what your husband wanted] —

Lee: It’s what your husband wanted.

Katjaa: Figures. I love that man to death but I swear sometimes he’s dumber than a bag of hammers. Well, you’ve done all you can, Lee; thanks for the help.

In one of these, Lee is inevitably lying about what Kenny wanted.

• You might have noticed that Katjaa says "what were you thinking bringing him here?" instead of "but Lee, this man has no leg" or "but Lee, this man was shot." I'm not sure what triggers her line, but it might have to do with the fact that this was transcripted from the Collection edition of the episode.
  • edited December 2017

So I play TWD Collection right now, and I just gotta ask, have you always been able to look at the TV, throgh the window and at the Fridge in Clems house S1E1? I've never noticed those in particular before.

• Yeah. They didn't change anything regarding gameplay

captainivy1 posted: »

So I play TWD Collection right now, and I just gotta ask, have you always been able to look at the TV, throgh the window and at the Fridge in Clems house S1E1? I've never noticed those in particular before.

• And here I was, thought I've seen it all in Season 1, and haven't even noticed that.

Yeah. They didn't change anything regarding gameplay

• Oh trust me, there's a lot of things you can miss, because there's a lot of content.
    For example I played Season 1 countless times over 2 years and I never knew you can talk to Ben In 103 when the train is stopped because of the tanker, only found out the last time I played. It's interesting dialogue too.

captainivy1 posted: »

And here I was, thought I've seen it all in Season 1, and haven't even noticed that.

• It's interesting dialogue too.

Oh trust me, there's a lot of things you can miss, because there's a lot of content. For example I played Season 1 countless times over 2 y

• Okay, apparently, after becoming Sarah's friend and getting the peroxide from her, you can go back to her room and ask her for bandages if you didn't get them from Alvin.

Is this true?

• Sarah's copy of The Gurgles actually has text written on the model--in Latin.
    enter image description here

For funsies, I tried to plug it into Google Translate to see if it's legible and well...

However, to explain to you how all this mistaken idea of ​​denouncing pleasure and praising pain. the whole thing open. and expound the actual teachings of the great explorer of the truth and will unfold in the master-builder of human happiness. None of the pleasure because it is pain or avoids. but because those who do not know how to pursue pleasure. Nor is it any further. their distressing anguish alone, that it dolor sit amet. enhanced. he wishes to obtain. and

labor and sorrow, because they do not have some great can never be attached to seek pleasure, as the manner of the times of the fall.

Li del resultant European languages ​​are a family. Their separate existence is a myth. For science, music, sport, etc. Europe uses the same vocabulary. The languages ​​differ in their grammar. their pronunciation and their most common words. Omnicos al desirabilite directly from a common language: On refusa continuar payar.

custosi traductores. To achieve this it would be necessary to have uniform grammar. pronunciation and more common words. If several languages ​​coalesce. the grammar of the resulting language is more simple and regular than that of the individual languages. The new common language will be more simple and regular than the existing European languages. It will be as simple as Occidental In fact, it will be Occidental. An English person, it will seem like simplified English. as a skeptical Cambridge friend of mine told me what Occidental is. Li del resultant European languages ​​are a family. Their separate existence is a myth. by scien-

• ...Trans-dimensional body snatchers alright.

Sarah's copy of The Gurgles actually has text written on the model--in Latin. For funsies, I tried to plug it into Google Translate to

• Yeah I really explore and look around every corner, no pun intended, of the place (except for Clem's house it seems), so that talk with Ben, I had noticed. It's kinda the same with the first location of the train, where you can find that car with the walker and some candy (I think, can't remember exactly what it was) to give to Duck. I was overjoyed to find it, because I didn't see any other Let's Player at the time who found that, granted that I only saw 2 or 3 LP's.

Oh trust me, there's a lot of things you can miss, because there's a lot of content. For example I played Season 1 countless times over 2 y

• You remember in S1 when you're in the sewer, and that walker grabs Lee's leg? Of course you do.

Did you know you can actually shoot the other walker that's approaching him instead? Probably not.

Furthermore, did you know there's a hidden line of dialogue Lee says towards Chuck during this scene, too?

Oh, and both of these were recorded on the collection/remastered version (I'm already feeling the judgement)

• edited December 2017

I was going to stockpile a bunch of Jane factoids and then put them in one detail post, but I found this out no more than half an hour ago, and I just have to share it now! I still want to do the 'Jane detail extravaganza' - similar to what I did about Lee's death scene - but this felt important enough to share now!

A huge part of what makes Jane the person she was in the games, in my opinion, is the moment her little sister gave up on life and Jane decided to abandon her. According to season two, her little sister was seemingly depressed for months, and Jane had to force her to move at all, let alone fight for survival. This came to a head when they were cornered by the undead, and Jane couldn't convince Jaime to jump from the roof they were standing on to a lower one.

So she left her.

"I dragged my sister across four states. And every morning, she'd say she wasn't getting up. So I'd convince her. Or push her, or goddamn carry her. Until this time ... Walkers cornered us. Forced us to the roof. And then when they kept coming... I ... I couldn't make her jump. I couldn't throw her! So I told her she could have what she wanted. And I left her."

"Jane... I'm really sorry."

"It killed me, for a long time. But I finally realised I'd put her on a forced march through hell, when all she really wanted to do was for me to let her go."

Pretty sad stuff.

However, while I was moseying about in the voice files of Thicker Than Water - don't ask me why, because I don't know myself - I heard a couple of clips which suggest that Jane's parents had something to do with Jaime's death:

"My parents... they couldn't handle ... this."

"So they ended it. Took my sister with them."

Clementine was probably gonna say something here, too, but at the current moment I can't figure out what.

"I know, I just ... I'm starting to wonder if maybe they did her a favor, you know?"

Now, Jane never says this in her flashback scene in the final release of the game, which is probably because it's a contradiction - or, at least, an implied contradiction - from what Jane said in season two. Namely, these lines heavily indicate that Jane never abandoned her sister, but rather her parents made her decision for her, which would take away a large part of her character in my opinion. However, this is still pretty dark stuff - two parents deciding to kill their youngest daughter and themselves, leaving their other daughter to find for themselves in a harsh and uncaring world.

Alternatively, the line "Took my sister with them" could be metaphorical, implying that the day her parents commited suicide was the start of Jaime's downward spiral that culminated in her death. Who's to say? Either way, as a huuuuuge Jane fan, I found these lines extremely interesting!

TL;DR - In the Thicker Than Water voice files, there's some cut lines that imply Jane's parents commited suicide and killed their youngest daughter as well. These lines did NOT make it into the final release of the episode, so it's safe to assume it's "not canon" - or, at least, not the way the developers intended Jaime's death to be taken.

But it's pretty interesting all the same - at least, it is to me \o/ Thanks for reading, and I hope you'll enjoy the detail post about Jane that I'm working on and will come out ...

... e - eventually.

• edited December 2017

...Wuh...?

Now, Jane never says this in her flashback scene in the final release of the game, which is probably because it's a contradiction - or, at least, an implied contradiction - from what Jane said in season two. Namely, these lines heavily indicate that Jane never abandoned her sister, but rather her parents made her decision for her, which would take away a large part of her character in my opinion.

Yeah, I was gettin ready to say, "I smell a retcon."

Alternatively, the line "Took my sister with them" could be metaphorical, implying that the day her parents commited suicide was the start of Jaime's downward spiral that culminated in her death.

That's the only way I can see it being workable or even interesting.

Huh.

BHBrowne posted: »

I was going to stockpile a bunch of Jane factoids and then put them in one detail post, but I found this out no more than half an hour ago,

• edited December 2017

Doug did technical jobs with computers for a living or at least on the side. I can't link a picture but conveniently right behind where Doug stands in Everett Prescriptions in A New Day there is a bulletin board. On it there's a flyer for "The IT I.T. Guy!!!" with a sick looking computer. There are cut out slips at the bottom of the page with the number:
    (621) (The first three numbers aren't legible)- DOUG

Also on this bulletin board we learn that Everett Prescriptions has been in business for 40 years from a paper that says "THANK YOU FOR 40 YEARS OF GREAT CUSTOMERS".

• edited December 2017

I dunno if anyone posted this before, but a guy on youtube posted this video where we can see all the scrapped scenes and dialogues on big screen in Season 1. It's such a interesting video.

• edited December 2017

Here are the highlights:

EPISODE 2

• 0:05 Lee's dream about whoever you chose to leave behind in Season 1 Episode 1, Carley and Doug.
    • 2:13 One of Lilly's dialogues that she says in Episode 1 Next Time On You've NEVER liked my dad! Even back at the drugstore when everyone thought Kenny's kid was but, you went out of your way to side against him was supposed to be included when she is trying to revive her dad in the meat locker. Also, you have an option to give her pills which, according to Lee, can be found in the St. John house, probably located in the bathroom or the closet upstairs. Also also, Kenny pushes Lee and Lilly out of the way to keep Larry from turning which is how it happens in the thumbnail of Episode 2.
    • 2:51 Scrapped dialogues between Lee and Kenny depending the decision in the meat locker.
    • 3:32 Kenny's unused growling sounds when he sacrifices himself in Episode 5, the fact that he was supposed to die in the finale.
    • 4:25 Kenny talks like an asshole to Lee by saying he is going to leave with his family in the RV, leaving Lee and Clementine behind in cold blood. (Soo glad it was scrapped IMO)
    • 4:37 Lilly tells Lee that she knows about his past and makes compliments to him (If helped Larry) or warns him a polite way so she doesn't have to make Clem curious (Probably if you killed the St. Johns or Larry).
    • 5:04 There was option to go back to the motel with Mark and Doug/Carley after visiting the St. John dairy. Was Ben supposed to stay at the motel instead of going with Lee, Mark and Doug/Carley at the dairy? Also, he was supposed to side with Lee (If chosen to stay) by staying instead of getting food from St. Johns which is where his in-game dialogue I knew it. I told you we couldn't trust them is coming from.
    • 8:23 Mark was supposed to die at the bandit ambush in the perimeter. So he was supposed to die either way? And David Parker (The guy with the left leg stuck in the bear trap) takes his place of being the cannibal food. His dialogues are pretty hilarious because of how cheesy they are. I think those moments happen if you chose to leave Parker and save Travis instead, saving Parker would have been pretty much the same as it is in the released version.

EPISODE 4

• 7:10 Scrapped dialogues if you didn't shoot the zombified Oberson Crawford that gets Ben killed.
    • 10:16 Speaking of this, Kenny checks on Lee and asks where Ben is, which pretty much happens if you did what I said above.
    • 11:26 Scrapped optional dialogues between Ben and Lee after leaving the attic (Determinant) and Lee can tell him to deal with Fivel (The zombified boy who starved to death up there). Also, scrapped optional dialogues between Lee and Christa.

EPISODE 5

• 10:56 Kenny's unused dialogues if you didn't side with him through the whole season.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.