Comments

• edited December 2008
    He even implimented that Floatym'n thing Homsar has. Maybe he can do Homsar as the Captain CAAAAVEMAAAAN of the Graveyard Train!
  • edited December 2008
    What the heck is MUGEN?
  • edited December 2008
    Snicklin wrote: »
    What the heck is MUGEN?

A fighting game engine, that lets people make their own stuff... somehow. I haven't been able to find much about how it works.
  • edited December 2008
    Wow, that's really, really great. I love the interactive stages, needs more moves though.
  • edited December 2008
    Yeah, I thought about adding the "Captain Caveman of the graveyard train" thing, but first of all I don't really know if it has background music mixed trough it, and second, I'm pretty lazy. I still need to implement the Rocoulm move I wanted to implement, and the Worm is hard as nails to sprite.

But I mostly try to implement moves from the cartoons, or at least try to implement moves that fit Homsar. I still am not so sure about using that Horrible Painting as a stun move, but it would be kind of unique to add a new Jibblies status for MUGEN.

And I still need to figure out what should trigger the "Heavy Lourde" move. I already know that his bowler hat should spawn it, since I don't want it to completely appear from Hammerspace, but it also means I need to sprite yet again a new bowler hat sprite (I already made his train machinist hat transformation, which I still need to figure what move it should be given to).

That's the biggest challenge, though, to add moves that are typically Homsar. Especially by his non-violent behaviour. It would be kind of weird for him to suddenly spawn rocks from the ground to pound his enemy like a pulp for example (although he might be capable of doing such thing), so using Sweet Cuppin' Cakes characters as strikers is something hilarious to do, and it doesn't really seem all that violent. Only cartoon violence, but who hasn't seen the Loony Tunes?

Oh, and I have some small surprises on the way, unfortunately one surprise has already been guessed by someone else on YouTube.

Darnit...

By the way, the stages aren't really interactive. MUGEN still doesn't allow for that. It's only animated and such.
  • edited December 2008
    Much like Homsar giving the Jibblies Painting a case of the Jibblies, Homsar's Captain Caveman moment doesn't have BGM.
  • edited December 2008
    Need I mention there's a Character called "Stinkoman 20X6"
    He's an OK character, but he has a Lack of Specials (Cheatball Throw, Cheatball Uber Throw, 20X6 Kick is all I think..) And I;ve seen him use Pan Pan from time to time. I'll try and remember where I got him.

EDIT:
    http://infinitymugenteam.com/ Here, Its in Chars/Misc, Its called "20X6
  • edited December 2008
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    That's the biggest challenge, though, to add moves that are typically Homsar.

Some sort of sonic scream(with the Wah-aha audio)? Also, you should put some thought into making use of Homsar's invisible arms. Maybe having air current-like effects to show where they are generally.

You could also have a Meteo-like attack (from the Final Fantasy games), where Homsar exclaims:

Well, it looks like I won the Powerball.

Using Powerballs ping-pongs in place of Meteors.
  • edited December 2008
    Wait, A move that hits various places on screen at the same time? that'd be an incredibly cheap move. Almost as cheap as Hyper-Neo Kamek's moves. (undodgeable lasers, 5 second stun, Instant-Hit anvil, 10 rechargable special-Gauges.)
  • edited December 2008
    Can you really make your own characters and stages on MUGEN? If so, I'm downloading it.
  • edited December 2008
    You need external programs/Wicked Notepad and Photoshop skills, but yeah. You can...
    Or alternatively, download what everyone ELSE does, considering the finished product is 100 x Better.

Oh, Anyone here heard of a "Cheap Character"? Its a character that is Overpowered for the sake of being overpowered, Prime examples are; "Master Hand, Ultimate Chimera, CheapBosstype, and to a Lesser extent; Hyper Neo Kamek, OldSchoolMario (Mario Teaches Typing), and Boggy B"
  • edited December 2008
    Indeed. And I already have the feeling his bowler hat is kind of cheap. It does about 5 damage per hit, but the light one already deals an average of 30 (60 on max), medium can go on an average of 60 (120 on max). So, naturally, I'll need to tone down the hard one. That also means that his supers can't be anything "kah-razy".

And anyway, "Looks like I've won the Powerball" sounds more like a victory exclamation.

I do have some moves though that are pretty moderate for Homsar's standard, I think, but that doesn't do a freakazoid much damage.

Anyway, for the ones who are curious:

homsar_portrait.png

His portrait.

Oh, and by the way, like I said, I would love to keep a lot of things from the cartoons instead of resorting to SBCG4AP. Not saying the games aren't "in canon", but I just think it's fair to give the cartoons a priority.

Just in case people try to suggest a move based on SBCG4AP.
  • edited December 2008
    Have you decided what his taunt/Charge is gonna be? His "DAAAaaaaAAAaaaAAAaaAA" might fit the bill, or "I was raised by a Cup 'o Coffee!" Or something like that...
    Oh, and can I ask, Whats his Intro(s)? I'd suggest multiple ones, Especially if you're in a Homsar v. Homsar fight, or on a specific stage.
  • edited December 2008
    I've already shown you the Homsar vs Homsar intro. It's in both Preview 2 and in the current preview. There is also one versus any other character ("I'm Homsar, the captain of the gravy train."), and I will take the Captain Caveman of the Graveyard Train also in consideration, although I do need to figure out what would trigger that one.

His taunt would of course be the random screaming of some sorts.

Also, I'm thinking about making my own Stinkoman when I'm done with Homsar, since the current one is too big. Place him next to Ryu and he towers out above him. Of course, right now El Dumpo would be bigger than Ryu as well (both in height as in weight), but that would probably be okay.
  • edited December 2008
    Make his Captain Caveman Costume an alternate costume, complete with attacks involving the club. In other words, he'd be a clone of the REAL CAPTAIN CAAAAVEMAAAAAAAANN!!!!
  • edited December 2008
    That would need either a separate character, Or some ultimate script skills.
    They aren't alternate costumes, They're Palettes.
  • edited December 2008
    Win. Enough said.
  • edited January 2009
    idea for a win pose: Homsar puts a hand on his head (he have invisble hands), and he unzips in half to reveal Ring Ring (The girl with blue hair from Pucca).

And for attack: He says "I brang my best foot flowered!" Then a flower with a foot on top falls down and crushs the victim.
  • edited January 2009
    Who the hell is Ring Ring and what the hell does she have to do with Homestar Runner? And yes, I am aware of what Pucca is, and there's neither a mutual connection nor is there a one-sided connection between Pucca and the Homestar Runner universe.

Also, that's not a really Homsar move, or Homestar Runner like at all. Stop making suggestions that aren't even that good.
  • edited January 2009
    The best foot flowered idea is pretty good, though
  • edited January 2009
    I remember Lucsar from the HRWiki forums. Just ignore him and he'll go away.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any good Homestar sprites? I've been wanting to try and work on a MUGEN Homestar.
  • edited January 2009
    Holyxion wrote: »
    The best foot flowered idea is pretty good, though
    I can pretty much sum up in one sentence why it's not a good idea.

It's not very Homsar.

When Homsar said he was going to put his "best foot flowered", he actually meant he wanted to show the best of him. He never takes his own sentences literally, perhaps because he's not capable of doing so, but mostly because it wouldn't actually make sense. And it wouldn't be funny, now would it?

I mean, would it make sense if I would make a house drop on top of the opponent, while Homsar says "that's a healthy piece of real estate" or something? Probably, but that would also be a captain obvious statement, and it wouldn't be that Homsar-like.

You always have to take into consideration that something needs to fit, both in the Homestar Runner continuity as in the absurdity that is Homsar. Remember, it's most funny for Homsar to say something non-sequitor.

Also, I sprite my own sprites, so no, there aren't any sprites of any Homestar Runner character.
  • edited January 2009
    Also, I sprite my own sprites, so no, there aren't any sprites of any Homestar Runner character.

Alright, thanks anyway :)
  • edited January 2009
    I can pretty much sum up in one sentence why it's not a good idea.

It's not very Homsar.

When Homsar said he was going to put his "best foot flowered", he actually meant he wanted to show the best of him. He never takes his own sentences literally, perhaps because he's not capable of doing so, but mostly because it wouldn't actually make sense. And it wouldn't be funny, now would it?

I mean, would it make sense if I would make a house drop on top of the opponent, while Homsar says "that's a healthy piece of real estate" or something? Probably, but that would also be a captain obvious statement, and it wouldn't be that Homsar-like.

You always have to take into consideration that something needs to fit, both in the Homestar Runner continuity as in the absurdity that is Homsar. Remember, it's most funny for Homsar to say something non-sequitor.

What I was thinking though was that it would be good because it's random, after all, you wouldn't expect something Homsar says to happen literally, would you? Like you said, it wouldn't make any sense at all for a flower foot to come from him saying that he wants to show his best, and not making much sense is kind of what Homsar's all about, and sure there's always this, which would have you believe that he isn't all that random, but face it, you're probably not gonna be thinking about that when you're watching a toon, and you'll even less likely be thinking about it while playing MUGEN.
  • edited January 2009
    Holyxion wrote: »
    What I was thinking though was that it would be good because it's random, after all, you wouldn't expect something Homsar says to happen literally, would you? Like you said, it wouldn't make any sense at all for a flower foot to come from him saying that he wants to show his best, and not making much sense is kind of what Homsar's all about, and sure there's always this, but face it, you're probably not gonna be thinking about that when you're watching a toon, and you'll even less likely be thinking about it while playing MUGEN.

And that's the main issue. You're not expecting it in the toons, and personally, as a somewhat Homestar Runner fan, I do not even want to see it outside of the toons, because it's really unlike Homsar. It goes against all that is Homsar.

Sure, it's freaky weird to see the Sweet Cuppin' Cakes characters or even Recoulm to suddenly appear next to Homsar, but those could be explained by them helping out Homsar, even though the Horrible Painting is pretty evil, and Homsar, as far as we know, not. Heck, I'd rather make Homsar change into the Goblin rather than having him summon a flower foot or something.

Even though Homsar doesn't make sense, it has to make sense within the Homestar Runner body of work. What if you were Strong Bad and you would suddenly see some foot growing out of Homsar's nether realm, wouldn't you freak out like hell? Because, face it, even that Strong Bad wouldn't expect, and I'm pretty sure he expects a lot from Homsar, but not this.
  • edited January 2009
    Well, I wouldn't think you would have it growing out of his "nether realm," ew, more of him saying some random stuff like he tends to do, and then all of a sudden some crazy thing happens, in this case a random flower foot thing falling from the sky, destroying a table or something. Though you're right, it would be extra cool for the thing happening to have no logical connection with what he said.
  • edited January 2009
    Hi i'm new here and i have an idea for an attack Homsar says Eggs tree, eggs tree! and apears from nowhere a tree growing eggs.
  • edited January 2009
    You know, for someone new, you act just like Lucsar. And you have a name just like Lucsar.

I should also mention that the "best foot flowered" idea isn't his, he copied it off of someone's comment on one of the test videos on YouTube.
  • edited February 2009
    I have an idea; A teleportation move (A lot of characters use 'em), and the comment could be "Thats a healthy piece of REAL ESTATE!".
  • edited February 2009
    Teleport is already there, it replaced the dash. See the newest preview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-PM3wg_1z8
  • edited February 2009
    Ever considered adding in Finsihers for those of use that use those things (I dont, I wanna get it though)
  • edited February 2009
    I'm not planning it, no. I want to keep it sort of Marvel vs Capcom styled, as that is what the template was. Finishers might be fun to perform, but they could just work better as regular specials and / or hypers.

Although, now that you mention it, a heavy lourde hyper that doubles as a finisher would be kind of cool.
  • edited February 2009
    I think there was something like that for Kamek/HNK, Worked well with the MK screen pack.
  • edited February 2009
    Yes, but:

1) Kamek != Homsar
    2) Kamek wasn't built on the EoH template.
  • edited February 2009
    Are there going to be any attacks involving Homsar summoning the letter G?
  • edited February 2009
    Better than summoning it, he could VOMIT IT or it could Come out of his mouth and grow, If you know what I mean.
  • edited February 2009
    That could function well as a projectile I suppose, but how would you make animation?
  • edited February 2009
    They should make Homestar. Here's some of attacks:

Kicks (Powerful and accurate)

Shoots Mountain Dew out of his mouth (Long range)

Ability to grab opponent and jog on him

Head bash

Throws forks/toast (Long range)

Hits the opponent with Golbol (Powerful)
  • edited February 2009
    ButtDance! Maybe it could have a psychedelic area effect, hm?
  • edited February 2009
    I'd been thinking up ideas for a Homestar MUGEN char. My ideas were going to be to make him more of a Zeeky H. Bomb character and have a lot of his attacks be summoners.
This discussion has been closed.