What Are the Greatest Stories Ever Told?

2»

Comments

• If you were to treat it as a story then I guess its well written.

The Bible.

• AWESOMEOAWESOMEO Banned
    edited June 2014

There are a lot, but I'm going to say Attack on Titan (It's a manga but you probably know it as the anime) since a lot of you should really get to know it.

And twd comics is the greatest zombie story for sure.

• And then DA2 happened. :(

Herodriver posted: »

Dragon Age: Origins

• Well, the New Testament is kinda like fan-fiction, so yeah...

hayd24 posted: »

If you were to treat it as a story then I guess its well written.

• Godammit, Anders! :(

And then DA2 happened.

• I really like the story of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I also liked Final Fantasy 10's story. And Mulan.

• I treat the bible as a good story, yes.

BigBlindMax posted: »

Well, the New Testament is kinda like fan-fiction, so yeah...

• Where do you find the dubbed episodes for Attack on Titan..... I want to watch it, but subtitles annoy me...

AWESOMEO posted: »

There are a lot, but I'm going to say Attack on Titan (It's a manga but you probably know it as the anime) since a lot of you should really get to know it. And twd comics is the greatest zombie story for sure.

• I honestly found Beyond Two Souls to be a complete mess personally.

Alive_Clem posted: »

This are my favourite stories I remember right now: Games - Beyond Two Souls, TwdG & The Last Of Us. Movie - The Knowing & Hunger Games.

• AWESOMEOAWESOMEO Banned
    edited June 2014

http://www.watchsnk.com/

This has the regular version and some of the dubbed one, there are tons of websites but I'm not exactly sure where.

Anyway, the full Japanese version is there if you want (I watched it in Japanese, tbh the dub is shit, the origin is always the best when it comes to anime).

Zyphon posted: »

Where do you find the dubbed episodes for Attack on Titan..... I want to watch it, but subtitles annoy me...

• I like it.

CathalOHara posted: »

I honestly found Beyond Two Souls to be a complete mess personally.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior?

Alt text

People say Jesus was a jew. Nope, apparently he was an Swedish atheist...

My serious answers: Jean-Paul Sartre's Les Mains Sales, Ingmar Bergman's The Hour of the Wolf, Louis Malle's Le Feu Follet, Abe Kobo's Woman in the Dunes, I don't know, there too many to pick from.

• I liked XII was a lot better (I also think it's incredibly overrated...) X was good, but nowhere near IV, VII, or even VIII. I want to play the newer ones, but I don't have a PS3 (or they're up to 4 now? wtf...) I don't even have a television...

DomeWing333 posted: »

I really like the story of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I also liked Final Fantasy 10's story. And Mulan.

• edited June 2014

My Immortal. Google it. Right now.

• I agree. People completely underestimate the literary and social value of Mario. In addition to the heavy influence from the Beat Generation, such as Naked Lunch by William S. Bouroughs, in its exploration of the addition and craven pursuit of mushrooms. Yoshi is clearly a satirical reference to Young Earth Creationism. The big downside is its view on women - namely the male patriarchy of brothers seeking to secure a woman (of whom they apparently perceive ownership) from the dehumanized 'other' (whether portrayed as a giant ape or a fire-breathing turtle). The one game which does give the female character agency only does in order to re-establish the heteronormative hierarchy by villianizing transsexuals.

BenUseful posted: »

Mario Bros is the best written story.

• I found XII's story to be a little dry and lifeless in how it was presented. I don't actually remember much of the actual plot. I've never played IV. I have played VII but it was probably too over-hyped for me because I didn't really get into as much as I was told I would. I did like the characters, though.

I didn't find any of the characters to be very interesting in VIII nor was I a fan of the romance between Squall (god I hate his name...and personality) and Rinoa (eh), so it was a bit of a miss for me. Except for the Laguna sequences. Best parts of VIII by far. I love that guy. And his group, though small, had more of that ragtag gang of misfits charm that I appreciate in my RPGs. A lot more interesting than a group of students and their teacher.

X I thought was good because it explored deep themes like religion, duty, sacrifice, death, and letting go.

Sarangholic posted: »

I liked XII was a lot better (I also think it's incredibly overrated...) X was good, but nowhere near IV, VII, or even VIII. I want to play the newer ones, but I don't have a PS3 (or they're up to 4 now? wtf...) I don't even have a television...

• edited June 2014

The greatest stories? That's hard to say. But I think it's pretty obvious how Telltale Game's, "The Walking Dead" is one of the best video game stories ever. Most of the choices listed already are definitely great. And most of my choices are personal opinion.

Video Games:

• The Walking Dead
    • Resident Evil 4
    • Red Dead Redemption
    • Any story/adventure RPG game similar to the early Final Fantasy games

Movies/TV Shows:

• The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
    • The Legend Of 1900
    • The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
    • Bonanza
    • The Wizard Of Oz
    • Lonesome Dove
    • Old Yeller
    • Spirited Away

Books:

• The Phantom Tollbooth
    • The Catcher In The Rye
    • Cat In The Hat
  • edited June 2014

Not to sound hipster, but I played VII before it was hyped up (as in the early 00s...) It's more a nostalgia thing, but it's still really great even by itself.

I really liked the characters in XII in Ashe, Fran, Basch, Baltier... I played as Ashe, never really touched Vann... He was kind of annoying... Basch had the best backstory.

I don't, I kind of liked the love story in VIII (though it was a bit unbelievable) and I really liked Selphie back in the day (though playing now she's admitted a bit annoying). Laguna was awesome. That's true.

I'm not sure what system you play on, but IV was re-released on Playstation. I think it was paired with Chrono Trigger. Anthologies was a republishing of V and VI (I think they also made them 3D for the DS). Does PS3 backtrack to the original Playstation or just PS2? Either way, it's been sitting in my basement for a while, along with my super nintendo... Damn I feel old.

If I remember XI was online? Isn't hard to do stories with MMORPGs? Guild Wars wasn't bad but I could never beat the star bosses (I was a ritualist and the damn soldiers kept going in too far and getting themselves killed... Then the magic people (me) just got pwned...)

On a side note (especially if you liked Tactics) here's a really good freeware game:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/MezzanineStairs/worlds-end-chapter-1?acomplete=worlds+end

I found XII's story to be a little dry and lifeless in how it was presented. I don't actually remember much of the actual plot. I've never p

• Yeah, I kinda got on that FF train a bit late so I played VII way after it had already been popularized. VIII was actually the first one that I played, followed shortly by IX, which I liked more story-wise but less gameplay-wise.

I don't know, I felt that love story in X was more tragic and meaningful than the one in VIII, since it was about embracing love even in the face of death. I guess because I'm not a huge fan of romance in general so when there's a larger thematic backdrop to it, I can connect more with it. VIII's was a more pure love story. But to me it just felt a bit...I don't know...middle school? Which I guess has its own charm to it.

Sarangholic posted: »

Not to sound hipster, but I played VII before it was hyped up (as in the early 00s...) It's more a nostalgia thing, but it's still really gr

• "I don't know... Middle school?"

Makes sense... I probably played it in middle school haha.

I have to play it again, I feel like IX is underrated, but I didn't particularly like it. Partly because of the gameplay, but mostly because the changes in character design really left me with a bad impression. Btw, do you think the French soccer player got royalties for the main character? I guess since he didn't headbutt anybody there's not enough resemblence...

Yeah, I kinda got on that FF train a bit late so I played VII way after it had already been popularized. VIII was actually the first one tha

• TWD , TWAU , Red Dead Redemption , Half life and my favorite story: Corpse party.

• My personal favourites are The Lord of The Rings, The Walking Dead Game, Assassin's Creed and Star Wars.

• Not always. Cowboy Bebop and Hellsing Ultimate are better dubbed.

AWESOMEO posted: »

http://www.watchsnk.com/ This has the regular version and some of the dubbed one, there are tons of websites but I'm not exactly sure whe

• The series, right?

Not the.....movie...

Yo-da-Man posted: »

• Anders- Everyone's favourite liability.

Godammit, Anders!

• Enoby

Giraffehat posted: »

My Immortal. Google it. Right now.

• Professor Layton series, Ace Attorney series, 999(9 persons 9 doors 9 hours) and the sequel Zero Escape: Virtue Last Reward, Dangan Ronpa 1 and 2, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, Bioshock Infinite( didn't play the others :/), Borderlands 1 and 2, The Last of Us, The Walking Dead(duh, of course), The Wolf Among Us.

I can't remember any other right now sooo maybe this list gets an upgrade.

• The Mass Effect Trilogy (excluding the Mass Effect 3 ending)

• edited June 2014

I've never played Mass Effect. What's so bad about the 3rd one? Don't mind spoiling it for me, I'm not going to play it.

(But do put a spoiler tag for those who do)

Yo-da-Man posted: »

The Mass Effect Trilogy (excluding the Mass Effect 3 ending)

• Beyond: Two Souls was a very good story.

It just was a godawful game. You could have gotten the same game feel by watching a movie and occasionally pressing pause every so often for 2 seconds.

CathalOHara posted: »

I honestly found Beyond Two Souls to be a complete mess personally.

• TWDG, TWAU, the Half Life series, Assassin's Creed and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

• Games:
    The Last of Us (The Last of Us is the first in my favorite storylines in games)
    The Walking Dead Season 1 (and so far Season 2 also)
    Beyond: Two Souls (for the story, NOT the game)
    Remember Me (I liked the story to it - I think. someone might have changed my memories to make me think I did though)
    Fallout 3 (Because War?.... war never changes)
    Portal and Portal 2 - together (for a game like this, it's amazing how great the storyline is)

-Lord of the Rings Trilogy -The Pacific miniseries -N.Y State of Mind by Nas -Star Wars: Original Trilogy -Children's Story by Slick Rick -GTA IV -Mass Effect series TWDG is a given.

• The Dark Knight

• edited June 2014

It's a long story and I'm not good at explaining the ending b/c it has a lot of lore. All I can say is that in the ending you confront the mastermind behind the Reapers. The Reapers were synthetic dreadnought warship sized A.I's that wipes out all advanced organic life every 80,000 years. When you meet the mastermind he looked like a little child in a hologram. Mass Effect fans call him the starchild. So Commander Shepard the hero of the game asked the star child why he committed genocide ever 80000 years?

This isn't the exact response from him but this is the Star Child's explanation in a nutshell....
    Alt text

This is foolish because the writers of Mass Effect are great story tellers and that explanation from the Star Child was lazy writing

I've never played Mass Effect. What's so bad about the 3rd one? Don't mind spoiling it for me, I'm not going to play it. (But do put a spoiler tag for those who do)

• Best story ever told? Hmmmmm... "The ugly Barnacle" and how baby's are made. BWAHAHAHA :D

Sign in to comment in this discussion.