Questions for Dominic Armato!

JakeJake Telltale Alumni
edited July 2009 in Private Pirates Club
If you see a guy with the username "dmnkly" skulking around, it's probably Dominic Armato, (better known as) the voice of Guybrush Threepwood!

If you've got any questions for Dom or just want to say hello, drop 'em here!

Dom answers! Let's take a look...

I don't know when this will end, but that's a lot of answered questions so far! Check those to see if your question has already been answered!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Welcome! Glad to have you back Dominic!
  • edited June 2009
    Not as glad as I am to be back, Nojh :-)

(Thank you!)
  • edited June 2009
    Dominic, godspeed with your monkey island quest. Looking forward to your hilarious dry deliverance of guybrush's quirky character.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm was very happy to learn that you will be doing Guybrush's voice again, Dominic! What's the best (out of context) line you've had to do for TMI so far?
  • edited June 2009
    Hey Dom, I've got a few questions for you as well:

What exactly started your "return to Monkey Island"? Was it the special edition of the first game, or the new Telltale series? Which call came first?

Or: Were the two projects linked in any way? (I guess this question goes to Telltale as well)

How long did it take you to get back into "Guybrush-mode"?

Are you voicing any other character in either the MI1-SE or the "Tales of Monkey Island"-series? Judging by your old demo-tape it wouldn't surprise me if you did.
  • edited June 2009
    This is pretty awesome. When I first read "full voiceovers" for the remake, I was skeptical since those lines were written to be read rather than heard, but seeing the short clip on the remake's website, it seems like you're making them sound exactly like they sound in my head, which is awesome.

What's your username mean? "Demon Kelly?" Ominous! I like that your custom title is "Dominic Armato," though. That keeps things unambiguous :D

I might come up with some relevant questions once I'm doing being giddy. Which may take a while.
  • edited June 2009
    Hi Dominic - I'm mondo stoked that you're back as Guybrush! Your voice acting is one of the magical ingredients that makes Monkey Island, be it "I don't want to pop the fun balloons", "Not porcelain!", or "We’ll surely avoid scurvy if we all eat an orange…".
    How do you feel about the return of MI in era post-a certain movie that rhymes with Schmirates of the Schmarribean? Did this have any impact on how you played Guybrush this time around? Other than that, how have you approached acting as Guybrush - same old mighty pirate we all love or any new twists?
  • edited June 2009
    Did you accept this job to earn money for developing an overwhelmingly expensive, but tastier version of Simulac for the kid?
  • edited June 2009
    How was (is?) it to go straight from voicing Guybrush in the first game to the fifth(!!!!)? Disorienting?
  • edited June 2009
    I would just like to say that because the original voice acting was back, I had to jump all over the pre-order as soon as I learned about it.

I've been a Monkey Island fan for 19 years, and I remember watching the trailer for Curse early in '97 and fearing that the voice wouldn't fit for the character.... As soon as it panned to the bumper car with Guybrush and I heard "Captain's Log, Guybrush Threepwood" I knew the right guy had been chosen for the job.

Welcome back Dom! Anything Monkey Island related would never had been even remotely the same without you.

I am thoroughly looking forward to this new series, and especially going through Secret with the right talent for the voice work. Let's hope LeChuck's Revenge gets a similar treatment, and we can have the whole series "full talkie" as it should be :)
  • edited June 2009
    Which elaine do you prefer, the one in Curse or in Escape?
  • edited June 2009
    Captain Armato! Good to have you back!

How did you cope with the Monkey Island drought all these years?
  • edited June 2009
    Who is the funniest person that you've worked with so far?
  • edited June 2009
    Oh My God, I'm so happy Dominic is in charge of bringing Guybrush's voice back to life once again.

I'm also happy to hear that Dom is a Monkey Island fan so that brings something special into the whole game.

I was raised playing Monkey Island back in 1992 when my family got their first computer, EGA monochromatic 286 :p

I even remember asking my dad for help to get through the seagull and the fish puzzle. Remember, there was no computer mouse at that time. ;)

So, Jeez, I'm just so happy that my favorite game saga is back. I just needed to express it.

Regards,

Andrew from Buenos Aires, Argentina :)

Question for Dom: Which is your favorite Guybrush quote?
  • edited June 2009
    Dominic, if they made you choose between this or your food blog, there will be hell to pay.
  • edited June 2009
    Question for Dom: Do you have a large MI / Lucasarts big box game collection?
  • edited June 2009
    Dominic, which of the Monkey Island games is your favorite? Since the new one isn't out yet, which of the last four is your favorite?

Also, welcome back. There can be no substitute.
  • edited June 2009
    It's great to have you back, Dom. They couldn't have done it without you.

Well, they could, but we'd have hunted down and killed your replacement. You wouldn't want that on your conscience now, would you?
  • edited June 2009
    When I heard that Telltale was doing Monkey Island, I was initially ecstatic, but I quickly began worrying that the switch of development companies meant that Guybrush wouldn't sound like Guybrush anymore.

My worries are assuaged. It's great to hear your voice again Mr. Armato.
  • edited June 2009
    When Telltale starts a project, they do things right.

...except when those things involve the controls for Wallace & Gromit. Heh But everything else; they do it right!

I am so amazed this is going to happen and with all the right people involved.
  • edited June 2009
    Wow, lotsa questions!

I'm a little tied up at the moment, but later tonight I'll check in and see if I can knock off a bunch of these.

It's great to hear you guys are excited!
  • edited June 2009
    Yaaay Dominic is back!

I Just saw the Special Edition promo video and i think it's awesome that you are a fan of the series just like David Hayter (Solid Snake) is a huge fan of Metal Gear Solid.

Anyway i would also really like to hear which Monkey Island game you prefer and also how it was to go back to the original classic and work on that.

Again thanks a lot for returning to Monkey Island :)
  • edited June 2009
    Excited isn't the word I would say here but I am VERY happy that Monkey Island is not only coming back but from what I read is true then Point and Click games are coming back in style.
  • edited June 2009
    Hi Dominic! I'm so glad that you joined the Telltale team to make these games!!!
  • edited June 2009
    Hey Dominic, glad to see you're back on board for this one. Wouldn't have been the same without you :)
  • edited June 2009
    Dmnkly wrote: »
    It's great to hear you guys are excited!
    Dominic, I've been neglecting my work and sending non-stop E-mails and text messages to anyone I know that might care (and even if they don't... f' 'em!) for the past hour straight. The fact that you're involved is like perfection for a game that should have happened years ago.
  • edited June 2009
    My question:

When you were originally cast as Guybrush for Curse oh so many years ago... Did you ever expect the series to have such a devoted (perhaps even rabid) fanbase?

It always seemed to me while growing up that not a lot of people I knew, had any clue about the Monkey Island series and the excellent and charming PC gaming that it was.

I look foward to being able to talk about Monkey Island and not receive blank stares or what? huh? What secret of what?
  • edited June 2009
    Hi Dominic, Glad to see you've returned to Monkey Island. It would not have been the same without you!

My question for you is. What is your favorite Monkey Island scene or gag. If I had to pick, I probably have to go with all of the Guybrush and Murray scenes. Those 2 are just awesome together.
  • edited June 2009
    Dom, are you as hot as Guybrush is?
  • edited June 2009
    It'll be good to hear you say, "I'm Guybrush Threepwood, a mighty pirate!" again. I won't bug you with questions, since you've got quite a lot to sift through, but I will say I'm glad you're back. A new Monkey Island wouldn't be the same without you.
  • edited June 2009
    Its good to see you back Dom! What was your initial reaction when you learned you would be voicing good old Guybrush again?
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    What's your username mean? "Demon Kelly?" Ominous! I like that your custom title is "Dominic Armato," though. That keeps things unambiguous :D

Dmnkly = greatest user name ever. Wish I'd thought of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "dmnkly" is one of the nonsense lines that you can make guybrush say when he's first talking to Elaine in The Secret of Monkey Island.

I'm so stoked for this game. It seems so unreal.
  • edited June 2009
    Dominic - this is amazing!!!! I can't believe that they've made new Monkey Island!!! Every few months for the past few years I've been hoping for this. I'm especially glad that you are back as Guybrush! You perfected that internal voice I gave him in the first two games.

My question: what IS the Secret of Monkey Island? ;)
  • edited June 2009
    Mr. Armato, I would first just like to say that you are Guybrush Threepwood, to me. I am so happy that you are part of both of these projects. It wouldn't feel like Monkey Island without you.
    Now here are my questions: Will you be coming to PAX, and if you will be coming, will you be signing things? Did you grow the beard to help you feel more piratey, or are you just all pirate, all the time?
    And finally, Domo Arigato, Mr. Armato. Himitsu wo shiritai ... about monkeys. (Please forgive me for quoting Styx, but I couldn't resist.)
  • edited June 2009
    Hi, Dominic.
    Your surname is Armato.
    Is your real name Domenico?
    You know, my name's Domenico. :D
  • edited June 2009
    June 3rd is my birthday of 44 years and Telltale delivered a birthday wish (it took a little while but it came true!!!)

Glad to have you back Dominic and to have brought everyones pirate back with you! :-)

aarr arrr :-)
  • edited June 2009
    Hey, Dominic. It's great to have you back. It wouldn't be Monkey island without you.

How long did it take you to record all the lines? When did you first catch wind of it?
  • edited June 2009
    Mr. Armato, that you are reprising your role in the new Monkey Island games has got to be the highlight of my day, and quite possibly my week! When the original Monkey Island games came out I was sadly limited to consoles (my parents having been very strict about not letting me use my PC for games). I have since found this wonderful series, and today when I got the email informing me of this new legacy my heart nearly stopped! I'm so excited! I missed out on the original and now I can take part of this wonderful series.
  • edited June 2009
    I just would like to point out how absolutely thrilled I am for the return of Monkey Island. And hope that it will keep going for a long time forward.

Cheers!

- Mromson
  • edited June 2009
    Another person here who worried straight away if you were going to be on board or not. I'm so glad you're back! My question is whether or not there was ever any question if you were coming back or not?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.