Questions for Dominic Armato!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Dom, have you ever used a walkthrough for a classic adventure game?
  • edited June 2009
    Thanks for your answers Dom :) , have a couple more ;)

1) Have you ever tried Portuguese food? If so what's your opinion on it?

2) Was there ever a particularly clingy MI fan that really annoyed you at any one point? Was it me?
  • edited June 2009
    Dominic,

First, thank you for the years of enjoyment you brought by bringing Guybrush to life. A new MI game just would not work without your performance. I remember re-playing MI1&2 for the first time after playing CMI and 'reading' the dialog in my head as if you were delivering it. It's an interesting experience reading something one way, then another way when you know how that character "actually sounds". It will be even more fun hearing it for real when SMI:SE is released!

Anyway, I was wondering, have you ever played any of the Sierra adventure games like Space Quest and King's Quest (my two fav's after MI)? If so what do you think of those games?

Also, do you enjoy the MI music? The MI and Sierra game music singlehandedly inspired me to collect my own music synthesizers and learn to produce music as a hobby, so I am curious what types of music do you like; Game soundtracks, Rock, Jazz, Reggae, Classical, other?

Thanks and thrilled to have you back making another MI game!
    ~Andrew

PS: Lil'Guybrush and Lil'LeChuck were my favorite too :) I hope they reappear in ToMI!
  • edited June 2009
    Another questions for you, I can see this thread lasting for a long time ;)

What would you say is your favourite intro to a game, be it just music or movie as well?

For me would have to be either CoMI or Grim Fandango.
  • edited June 2009
    My suggestion to anyone trying to get a start in "funny voices" is to try to create your own forum for your talents.

We have already done just this, but thank you for the recommendation. It was actually at one of the recording sessions that the topic of becoming Professional Voice Actors came up,
  • edited June 2009
    Oooh ooh ooh! This thread is super neat! And awesome! And super neat! But mostly awesome!

Anyway, my question is about the Secret of Monkey Island remake! Since you've recorded the lines for that already you must know: is the stump joke still in? It was missing in the CD version and now that the special edition is being distributed digitally in an age where writing "disk" will have people telling you that you spelled it wrong.... Well, I guess the likelihood of it still being in there is slim. But it's still a funny joke! Well, I thought it was a funny joke.... D:
    Vongrove wrote: »
    We have already done just this, but thank you for the recommendation. It was actually at one of the recording sessions that the topic of becoming Professional Voice Actors came up,

Not sure if it's fox paw to post external links, but for anyone interested in voice acting on an amateur level and getting some practice in, you should try scouring the following forums - I frequent them quite often and there's always work available. For the fun of voice acting, mostly:

http://voiceacting.proboards.com/index.cgi?
    http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/index.php
  • edited June 2009
    First off, let me just say that as a long-time fan of the series, I'm thrilled that you're back to voice Guybrush once again. It simply wouldn't be the same without you, dude.

My question is this: How hard was it for you to not tell people about these new Monkey Island projects?? I'm sure you get asked about it fairly frequently, and had to bend the truth a bit over these past months. Personally, I'm amazed that both Lucasarts and Telltale were able to keep it all under wraps for as long as they did in this digital age, especially considering the number of rampant fans of the series that constantly scour the "series of tubes" for tiny specks of Monkey Island information.

Again, welcome back! It's good to have you home.
  • edited June 2009
    DMKNLKKY!

I remember the handle from #monkey-island IRC, so many eons ago. I was 'gorbie' then, in case anyone's memory is that good. Grats on getting a chance to play Threepwood again. A remake of the original and a new episodic series! You must be psyched. It's a good time for the old school Monkey Island fans.
  • edited June 2009
    Hi Dominic, awesome to have you back.

I was wondering, when you're in the recording booth, how much of a grasp do you have on what's going on in the story? I know the other voice actors are not in there with you, so how do you handle reading one side of a conversation without really knowing what you're talking about?

Also, for something completely different, you probably know that Monkey Island has been the most requested franchise for Telltale to get their hands on for the last five years. I wonder, what would you like Telltale to make a game about?
  • edited June 2009
    Hey Dominic, so glad to have you back in the driving seat after all these years :) My question is...

Have you ever been tempted to get some random map, stain it beigey-brown, tear it haphazardly into four pieces and frame it?
  • edited June 2009
    Hey! I just remembered a good one:

Did you at any point suggested or improvised a line that made it through?
  • edited June 2009
    Xocrates wrote: »
    Hey! I just remembered a good one:

I think the monkey in my pocket stuff was improv. IIRC. :confused:
  • edited June 2009
    Daigowedd wrote: »

I loved those.:p

On a related note, are there any great musical moments from you this time round?:D
  • edited June 2009
    Hi, Dom!
    This ain't a real question, just wanted to tell you you rock!!!
  • edited June 2009
    I've just finished reading the whole thread... just wanted to thank Armando for taking the time to answer so many questions :D And while I'm at it, I might as well add one too: Is there any character (not necessarily MI-related) that you would want to play?
  • edited June 2009
    Dmnkly wrote: »
    Objection, your honor! Asked and answered!

Eep, my bad. :eek: The thread's moving at such a rate of knots that I can't keep up with questions being asked and answered. Terribly sorry about that.

Uhh, let's see... Well, I guess I have no other questions for you. All that's left for me to say is that you're doing an awesome job, and that I look forward to seeing (and hearing!) the goodness of the first episode of TMI this Sunday!

EDIT: Oh! I guess I do have one question, now that I think about it: What do you think of this series being abbreviated to TMI? Y'know, with TMI already being an acronym for "Too Much Information". :P
  • edited June 2009
    ChazFox wrote: »
    I look forward to [...] first episode of TMI this Sunday!
    Dude! The premiere is 7 July! It's still one month away.
  • edited June 2009
    Dude! The premiere is 7 July! It's still one month away.

I made the same mistake at first. I was so excited, then suddenly so shattered. :p
  • edited June 2009
    Dude, a MONTH! That's nothing in terms of waiting!

Dominic, have you ever played Psychonauts? Why weren't you voicing in that? Hmm?
  • edited June 2009
    Dude! Like... totally!

I miss the 90's :(
  • edited June 2009
    What IS the secret of Monkey Island?
  • edited June 2009
    Peepgood wrote: »
    What IS the secret of Monkey Island?

I don't want to know, don't tell me.

I don't want to find out, ever.
  • edited June 2009
    backslash wrote: »
    Did your wife marry you because you were the voice of Guybrush? :p
    Good question... I'll ask her! Let me get back to you on this one... seriously!
    Vongrove wrote: »
    What exactly would you recommend a demo consist of?
    Well, traditionally speaking, it's either snippets of your work edited together, or if you haven't done any, you make it up. Here's my character demo. It's old -- I haven't made one since I left L.A. in 2001 -- but I think it holds up mostly okay.
    freerad22 wrote: »
    1) can you tell us if you did VOs for new insults?
    I believe it's been reported elsewhere, so I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying that there are insults, and there is swordfighting, but there is no insult swordfighting (so far, anyway).[/quote]
    freerad22 wrote: »
    2) what does grog taste like and do you have to take a break to let your vocal chords recover after a chug :D
    Watered down rum, because that's what it is. Exciting, huh? In all seriousness, I have actually used alcohol in a professional capacity. If I have to sound a little gruff or gravely (not something to which my voice is accustomed), I find a shot of vodka before bedtime helps. This is highly unscientific. And between this and my previous answers, it's starting to make me sound like a lush. Which is kind of funny given how little I actually do drink.
    My suggestion to anyone trying to get a start in "funny voices" is to try to create your own forum for your talents.
    Great suggestion! Like I say, I'm really not the best guy to ask about this.
    Are you really Dominic Armato or are you one of those MySpace/FaceBook-esque celebrity profiles who are actually just some secretary giving text book answers to all us fanatical zealots? :rolleyes:
    Ja........ I MEAN YES!
    Fury wrote: »
    Dom, have you ever used a walkthrough for a classic adventure game?
    Hell no!
    1) Have you ever tried Portuguese food? If so what's your opinion on it?
    No! Though certainly not by choice. Portuguese seems to be a little tough to come by in the States. But the timing of this question is excellent, as I'm moving up to Boston at the end of the month where I understand there's a pretty large Portuguese community, and I'm really looking forward to trying some.
    2) Was there ever a particularly clingy MI fan that really annoyed you at any one point? Was it me?
    Probably.

In all seriousness, my threshold is pretty high. Somehow my early interactions with the old mixnmojo.com crew ended with a trip to Disney and me cooking pasta for them at my house. I should note for the record, however, that my wife is (understandably) somewhat less enthusiastic about inviting internet strangers into our home, so -- uh -- don't expect dinner :-)
    andrew603 wrote: »
    Anyway, I was wondering, have you ever played any of the Sierra adventure games like Space Quest and King's Quest (my two fav's after MI)? If so what do you think of those games?
    You know, I never got into the Sierra games. Never played Space Quest. Tried King's Quest and didn't get very far, because without the humor I just didn't enjoy it. And Leisure Suit Larry just wasn't doing it for me. As mentioned, I loved the original Gabriel Knight. Was that Sierra?
    Also, do you enjoy the MI music?
    I'm far from the first person to say so, but the music may be the best part of the series. I've been singing the Scumm Bar theme in my head since the announcement was made on Monday. Or was that one of the actual classic sea shanties they used? In any case, Michael Land is as responsible for the character of the series as anybody else who has worked on it, and more than most.
    I am curious what types of music do you like; Game soundtracks, Rock, Jazz, Reggae, Classical, other?
    Oh, gosh, a little bit of everything. I'll try to refrain from using the cliched "My collection ranges from (insert high-brow artsy music here) to (insert pop artist generally recognized to have significant artistic merit here) to (insert pop artist generally recognized to produce total trash here)" and just list some that are special to me for assorted reasons, in alphabetical order since that's how they show up on Media Monkey:

Bang Camaro, The Bobs, Cake, David Bowie, Django Reinhardt, Duran Duran, Frank Black, Freezepop, Front 242, Helmet, Information Society, James Brown, John Adams, Loudon Wainwright III, Louis Prima, Michael Penn, The Mills Brothers, Milli Vanilli (shut up), The Minibosses, Morphine, Nine Inch Nails, Paul Simon, Philip Glass, The Pixies, The Police, The Postal Service, Randy Newman, Stevie Ray Vaughan, They Might Be Giants, Tom Waits.
    serweet wrote: »
    What would you say is your favourite intro to a game, be it just music or movie as well?
    Almost definitely Grim. But I reserve the right to rapidly backtrack when somebody points out something I'm forgetting.
    fiduch wrote: »
    How hard was it for you to not tell people about these new Monkey Island projects??
    Fricking torturous. Especially with the timing of that CMI feature over at Mojo. I don't like to make a habit of lying through my teeth, but... well... ya do what ya gotta do. Lucas' NDAs are more than a little intimidating :-)
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    I was wondering, when you're in the recording booth, how much of a grasp do you have on what's going on in the story? I know the other voice actors are not in there with you, so how do you handle reading one side of a conversation without really knowing what you're talking about?
    The story is rarely a problem, at least with MI, since I know it so well. Even with new material, I still understand the characters and universe and feel and all. Working without other actors, however, can be very, very difficult. There's no question that the best thing by FAR is to have everybody in the same room reading together. But as mentioned elsewhere (Upthread? At Mojo? Can't remember.), that just isn't practical from a dollars and cents standpoint. There's a lot of guesswork involved, and you just have to trust that the actor on the other end of the dialogue can imagine your participation just as well as you can imagine his.
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    Also, for something completely different, you probably know that Monkey Island has been the most requested franchise for Telltale to get their hands on for the last five years. I wonder, what would you like Telltale to make a game about?
    I didn't know that, but I can't say I'm surprised :-) Good question. Which is what I usually say when I can't think of an answer. So. Um. There you go. (sorry!).
    Tau/Tigz wrote: »
    Have you ever been tempted to get some random map, stain it beigey-brown, tear it haphazardly into four pieces and frame it?
    I think this is one urge I can safely say I've never experienced.
    Daigowedd wrote: »
    The tunes, not the lyrics. And that's it. Script's pretty rigid. 'Sides which, the writers are funnier than I am.
    ChazFox wrote: »
    Oh! I guess I do have one question, now that I think about it: What do you think of this series being abbreviated to TMI? Y'know, with TMI already being an acronym for "Too Much Information". :P
    It's better than DMY, I suppose.
    Dominic, have you ever played Psychonauts? Why weren't you voicing in that? Hmm?
    Loved Psychonauts. Why wasn't I in it? 'Cause Tim Schafer's a big old bed wetting doody head, that's why. An immensely talented big old bed wetting doody head at whose feet I'd gladly grovel if it would get me cast in one of his games, but a big old bed wetting doody head nonetheless.
  • edited June 2009
    Well, traditionally speaking, it's either snippets of your work edited together, or if you haven't done any, you make it up. Here's my character demo. It's old -- I haven't made one since I left L.A. in 2001 -- but I think it holds up mostly okay.

That...is...hilarious.

I thought for a second your old timer net browser guy was going to turn into a Bill Thompson as Droopy/Wallace Wimple impersonation.
  • edited June 2009
    Ohhh Yeah! Wow! This is like.. Getting the once in a lifetime chance, to insult someone who´s voice you´ve heard a million times in your most favourite game! hmmm... time for some payback! (Rubs hands in evil motion) ... you sound like a girl...! there you go! An insult! muhaahahaha!

I only have one question for you Guybru... Ahem!....Dominic!

Have you ever achually played the MI games yourself or was it just too wierd listening to your own voice all the time, oohhh and if so! Who was your favourite character in the game ?

That was two questions in one.. kinda like when you buy McNuggets and get a human finger with your bag.. its all crunchy but you wish you only got the nuggets!

Regards
    Your biggest fan! (seriously im very tall!)

PS. Eat Healthy, dont drink too much and never watch dr. phill! I dont want you dying before you´ve completed the voice acting for MI 6 7 and 8! ;)
  • edited June 2009
    3 Questions.

1 - Have YOU preordered Monkey Island 5?

2 - Are you psyched about Brutal Legend also? (not as much as monkey island of course)

3 - If you could be any type of donut, what would it be?
  • edited June 2009
    So, Dominic, what was retirement like for you during your MI draught?
  • edited June 2009
    I was looking at IMDB and your digital resume.

I have a question.

Why did I not recognize your voice in Crysis?
  • edited June 2009
    The story is rarely a problem, at least with MI, since I know it so well. Even with new material, I still understand the characters and universe and feel and all. Working without other actors, however, can be very, very difficult. There's no question that the best thing by FAR is to have everybody in the same room reading together. But as mentioned elsewhere (Upthread? At Mojo? Can't remember.), that just isn't practical from a dollars and cents standpoint. There's a lot of guesswork involved, and you just have to trust that the actor on the other end of the dialogue can imagine your participation just as well as you can imagine his.
    As a follow-up to that answer: Regarding VO or dubbing (those two are different, aren't they?) I was always wondering, if any of the already recorded lines are played to the actors in the booth, just to get the reaction just right, OR if maybe the director reads the counter-part... I couldn't make that out from your answer.
  • edited June 2009
    Hey Dominic!
    Is your console still working?
    I've only played the german versions of the old games, because back then, I wouldn't have been able to understand anything in the english versions.
    (Aaaaand It would have been hard for me to get the english versions)
    You've already answered the question about the french voice actor, but have you ever heard the german voice of Guybrush? (Norman Matt)
    If so, do you think he does your work any justice?
  • edited June 2009
    1. Guybrush and Elaine .. married.

Too soon? Too late? Shouldnt have happened? yOUR CAWMENTS ? (a.k.a comments)

2. Whose idea was it for you to answer alllllllllllllll these questions
  • edited June 2009
    Hi Dom, glad to hear your voice, just bought the game. :)?
    Everything looks great about the game, xept one thing, how you feel about guybrushes new look? Its kinda too different form the classic ones, that the only complaint atm :( Dont you think so?
  • edited June 2009
    1 - Have YOU preordered Monkey Island 5?
    Nope. Being Guybrush has its perks. (I hope!)
    2 - Are you psyched about Brutal Legend also?
    I'm psyched about anything Tim Schafer does. Including scratching himself.
    3 - If you could be any type of donut, what would it be?
    Hmmm... my favorite growing up was the Chocolate Long John, but that's just creepy coming from a 33 year old, so given my future home, I'll go with my old second-stringer, the Boston Creme.

Actually, that's not much better.

Ah, who am I kidding. I'm filled with jelly.

(Just stop now.)
    So, Dominic, what was retirement like for you during your MI draught?
    Oh, you know, living life. I did VO in California until 2001, a few games, a few shows, plenty of commercials. Had a recurring role on Rocket Power for a few seasons. Then I decided it was time to come home to Chicago, did some work for the family business, kept up with commercial VO (not much character work in Chicago), got married, had kids... you know the drill. Now I pretty much follow my wife around since she's super smart and squeeze in some VO when I can. Little ones are, predictably, a great drain on time to do much else.
    Why did I not recognize your voice in Crysis?
    Because I was doing my job :-) Actually, I'm glad you didn't notice. That means I did well. But I wasn't any of the lead characters. Just random pilots/marines/scientists, that kind of thing. You never would have heard more than a line or two from me at a time, which might have something to do with it. Plus, a lot of them would have been screaming, and while I'm sure a burly marine loosing a girly Guybrush-like scream while being ripped to shreds by some manner of alien weapon would be amusing to you, I'm quite certain it would be less so to the guys at Crytek. I was mo-capped, though, which is pretty sweet!
    As a follow-up to that answer: Regarding VO or dubbing (those two are different, aren't they?) I was always wondering, if any of the already recorded lines are played to the actors in the booth, just to get the reaction just right, OR if maybe the director reads the counter-part... I couldn't make that out from your answer.
    Ehhh, not so much. You certainly don't have pre-recorded lines fed to you (which wouldn't even be an option if you recorded first), though I'll sometimes ask to hear a quick sample of the other character if he's been recorded already just so I have an idea of what I'm playing against. Of course, context is SUPER important, so whenever it isn't clear exactly what I'm reacting to, I ask. Hopefully whoever's running the session knows. With TMI, I ask for read-in lines whenever possible. Not because I need an actor to play against, but just so I know exactly what I'm responding to. But it isn't like we sit there and read through a script in dialogue fashion.
    Bruno83 wrote: »
    Is your console still working?
    Working and getting a workout lately! Mass Effect. I'm... uh... a little behind.
    Bruno83 wrote: »
    You've already answered the question about the french voice actor, but have you ever heard the german voice of Guybrush?
    If so, do you think he does your work any justice?
    Can't say because I've never heard it. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard any of the localized versions. Or if I have, it was a loooong time ago and I've long forgotten.
    hamzie wrote: »
    1. Guybrush and Elaine .. married.

Too soon? Too late? Shouldnt have happened? yOUR CAWMENTS ? (a.k.a comments)
    This is a really tough thing. Of course, Ron has said publicly that he didn't think they should have gotten married, and of course I understand that. Even setting aside his feeling that she saw him as more of a kid brother (though after that scene on the dock, that's a little... um... creepy), it's a resolution of dramatic tension. On the other hand, we've made a bunch of these games now. You have to resolve something along the line, and I think it's less a matter of do they or don't they and more a matter of how it's handled.
    Vodiara wrote: »
    Everything looks great about the game, xept one thing, how you feel about guybrushes new look? Its kinda too different form the classic ones, that the only complaint atm :( Dont you think so?
    I don't, and the reason is that while you need to honor the history, you also need to give the designers some leeway to do their thing. The people working on these games are artists, and if they feel too constricted by canon, that's stifling from a creative standpoint. I mean, nobody wants a musclebound hulk of a burly pirate for Guybrush, but for me, part of the fun is seeing how different design teams approach the MI world. Comic book characters, for example, will go through transitions and updates and such as different writers and artists take over the storyline, and that keeps it dynamic and interesting. I don't see why this should be any different. You'll have your favorites and those you don't like quite as much, but I much prefer that his look not remain static.

Clearly, however, voice is another situation. The voice should always be provided by the same actor. Always. Always. (always.)

If I skipped your question, it's because (I think) it was already answered upthread.

Keep 'em coming!
  • edited June 2009
    Clearly, however, voice is another situation. The voice should always be provided by the same actor. Always. Always. (always.)

And you think the writers are funnier than you? You clearly don't know your own comedic strength.
  • edited June 2009
    In Rocket Power you didn't actually say any words, you just kinda mumbled. Was that easier or harder as an actor?

(look at that, a proper question from me! :eek: Is that a sign of the apocolypse?)
  • edited June 2009
    Are you going to make your kids play the whole MI series + Tales of MI

Has your wife played the whole series
  • edited June 2009
    It is comforting to see that the voice of Guybrush Threepwood, Might Pirate!, is in professional and capable hands. I have to ask you a question Dominic: What other acting or voice acting jobs did you do outside of the Monkey Island games?

John McCluskey from Montreal, QC
  • edited June 2009
    Which Guybrush design is your favourite?
    Tossup between MI2:LCR and CMI. I'm leaning MI2. The coat fricking rocks.

But it's a girlie coat... Amanda in "Jack Keane" wears the same outfit ;)
  • edited June 2009
    Hey Dom, im (as all the guys here) a big fan of MI and i did my preorder also. Im living in ARGENTINA (indeed its a country way down in the south). Can u send me and my bro (Sebius) a greeting? (it looks like Guybrush is talking to us... just in our imagination, but). Regards, keep up the good work and see u in the remake of the Monkey II :D!!!
  • edited June 2009
    My name is Bobbin. Are you my mother?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.